Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo (43035 Views)

Alarm Bells Ring As Nigeria’s Refineries Collapse By 92% / Oil Marketers Tell FG To Allow Them Fix Nigeria's Refineries / "Our Refineries Will Be Fully Functional Before 2019 Ending" - Kachikwu Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Treasure17(m): 10:36am On Sep 05, 2023
Above all, corruption will run it down.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Helinus: 10:36am On Sep 05, 2023
Tinubu is a very big scam.

It will never be well for people that supports him, you and your generation won't know peace for supporting evil.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by mayo47(m): 10:38am On Sep 05, 2023
The process of sales and the dynamics of the market is the problem . Despite PHCN sale, the govt still hold 40% in discos thus the private investors were not free to make significant decisions without the govt input.

GeneralPula:

I’m just concerned about that will it help matters?

Nepa was sold. Was there any significant change since then?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Kenmatt(m): 10:38am On Sep 05, 2023
I didn't go through.

No need of going through.

We all know that it's not g'nna work.

If it will, they would have fixed it up long time ago.

Even the President that removed subsidy never give a damn on how it will be fixed in a jiffy in order to start up ASAP.

This alone should let you know that they all benefit from it not working.

Oh! Nigeria my Country.

Should I regret that I hail from there?
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by nathyx(m): 10:40am On Sep 05, 2023
Self centered OBJ: "The refineries will not work by December" simply put: because my administration failed the aspect of oil refinery Tinubu govt should also fail in oil refinery

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Paradigms: 10:41am On Sep 05, 2023
Only the gullible are being deceived to believe that government will fix refinery

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by bonnyhope: 10:41am On Sep 05, 2023
Nigerian govt cannot run any business successfully considering the high level corruption in the system......Just take a look at NNPC

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by EtovalRealEst: 10:41am On Sep 05, 2023
Well the issue raised are valid ..so if a General cannot fight corruption in the refinery , then I wonder was magic wand is going to be used now .. Since the days of Gen Abacha na so te Turn Around Maintenance we dey hear ...Let pray Alhaji shake body quickly, so we put this issues behind us.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by kayusely70(m): 10:44am On Sep 05, 2023
EyeCumInPiss:
Nigeria is a Geographical Contraption of diverse Ethnic Nationalities that are not ready to unite and work as one entity.
Only way forward is Restructuring or Balkanisation.
Your submission really makes sense! That's the panacea to all the nation's problems!
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Hier(m): 10:45am On Sep 05, 2023
Dangote again 🙄😂

Senior stateman said this is based on the information I have received since when I was president. You see ehnnnn, sometimes, we need to learn from the elders and continue from where they stopped
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by GeneralPula: 10:46am On Sep 05, 2023
mrvitalis:

We need to restructure along ethnic lines so that the use of Tribalism to get to power would be dead

Can tinubu win election if he contest against another Yoruba man?

It's easier for Yorubas to hold their leaders accountable than Nigeria to do so

Restructuring along ethnic lines helped Europe, helped Asia... Why do you think it would not help us
Bro, favoritism is part of human and its natural. Europe and Asia might have been lucky because they did their restructuring long time ago. Things are not like before. What they did then, if they wants to try it out now, they may not be successful!

I don’t know what you mean by can tinubu contest election against a Yoruba man and then win. He has contested against Yoruba man during governorship. He even contested against Yoruba man during Apc primaries. So what are you insinuating here o? I don’t know why you carry tinubu enter the matter tho?

Our regionalism has worked for us before and I believe it can work again! Every region should start controlling it resources abeg! Why are you against regionalism?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Morbeta11(m): 10:47am On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.

You are a tadpole......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by salem1996: 10:48am On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

Restructuring is a scam bro! Don’t fall for it! What exactly do we want to restructure? Do you remember Vision 2020 scam?

The best thing we can do is to go back to regionalism! To me, this is the best solution. We were using it before and it worked for us!

SW Governor’s have been calling for the regionalism but other part of the county are still quiet. We should go back to regionalism then things can change. Imagine we go back to regionalism and:

Fashola is to be western leader premier..
Donald duke to be southern leader premier..
Kwankwaso to be northern leader premier..
Dave Umahi to be eastern leader premier..

I believe this is the only significant thing we can do, any other thing aside from that is like fetching water inside basket..

Only your comment and that of the guy you quoted makes meaning to me.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by godofuck231: 10:48am On Sep 05, 2023
Baba don lie , em de find shares for profit
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by shakdav(m): 10:48am On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

Restructuring is a scam bro! Don’t fall for it! What exactly do we want to restructure? Do you remember Vision 2020 scam?

The best thing we can do is to go back to regionalism! To me, this is the best solution. We were using it before and it worked for us!

SW Governor’s have been calling for the regionalism but other part of the county are still quiet. We should go back to regionalism then things can change. Imagine we go back to regionalism and:

I believe this is the only significant thing we can do, any other thing aside from that is like fetching water inside basket..

Regionalism will not work because the north itself has to be divided into 3 part, nobody will want to, be rule by someone that don't understand the part, how can west have 6 state, east has 5 state, south has 6 state and u expect north with 19 with Fct making 20 to be rule by one, uself check you statistics nah, rather every Geopolitical region should have a leader and have a central government at the head of the affair of the nation... I hope this will be more better in your point as illustrated..
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by firearcher: 10:48am On Sep 05, 2023
Sadly Nigerians themselves clamoured against the sale then and were jubilant when it was reversed by Yar Adua.

And as with fuel subsidy, political opponents took advantage of the people's suspicions and cynicism.

Many times we are our own worst enemy.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Kukutente23: 10:49am On Sep 05, 2023
Shell actually made it clear they are not interested in downstream. So i don't see why you take their words as if it's Gospel.
Same Shell spilled oil over Ogoni and till today no one is talking about making them pay.
The refineries can work if we have serious people in govt who want it to work. That's the koko of the matter

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by sylve11: 10:50am On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.

He's telling you the truth. cool
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by ojesymsym: 10:50am On Sep 05, 2023
True
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by EleventhWeirdo: 10:50am On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

Regionalism should now be based on the six geopolitical zones with totally devolved powers from the center. The country should run as technically as a confederate union of autonomous country-regions

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by bjdon: 10:51am On Sep 05, 2023
Cantonese:
Truth.

It was an open secret that all the refineries were sources of uncontrollable looting. It was an open secret that TAM was an avenue to reap the nation off. It was an open secret that the systematic destruction of the refineries involved persons in position of power and staff.

Nigeria needs a strong and determined leader for things to work. We need a leader with a very strong will to move the nation forward. Unfortunately corruption has gotten the better part of the leadership and the people support corrupt leaders to continue with their corrupt ways.
While I agree with most of what you say, I do not agree that the solution is just having a strong leader. The people need to change their mindset. The average Nigerian is motivated by money not national interest. This is the reason there is so much corruption in the land. All these corrupt people are never challenged. They get the front seats in church, the high table in social events. They are celebrated in the media. Why would corruption not thrive in such an environment? You will see somebody who had only 1 car before getting a govt appointment, suddenly has 5 cars and people will be celebrating such a person.
Until we change our mindset, nothing will change in the country

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Kukutente23: 10:51am On Sep 05, 2023
EtovalRealEst:
Well the issue raised are valid ..so if a General cannot fight corruption in the refinery , then I wonder was magic wand is going to be used now .. Since the days of Gen Abacha na so te Turn Around Maintenance we dey hear ...Let pray Alhaji shake body quickly, so we put this issues behind us.
But it was also a general that started the rot in the refineries
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by ChiefJusticeFuc: 10:51am On Sep 05, 2023
Obasanjo holds significant stake in Dangote Group .

That should tell you something .

Secondly, multinational companies like shell will make more money importing refined products from their refineries abroad.

I believe the NNPC refineries are beyond repair and reform and should be scrapped.

But , Obasanjo's position on them no longer being feasible is from his own selfish position as a key investor in Dangote Group.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Ttipsy(f): 10:51am On Sep 05, 2023
Truth be told
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by prophetfire: 10:53am On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

Yes regionalism is the best.
However, it's only the radical South westerners like the Afenifere that had been saying it.
Establishment guys like Tinubu and his ilk don't even support restructuring not to talk of regionalism because the rot favours them.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by bjdon: 10:53am On Sep 05, 2023
EleventhWeirdo:

Regionalism should now be based on the six geopolitical zones with totally devolved powers from the center. The country should run as technically as a confederate union of autonomous country-regions

Mostly agree, however the current '6 zones may need adjusting to maybe 8 or 10. Edo and Delta are the Midwest region, the only region created by democratic vote in Nigeria's history. The Midwest can't be part of any 'south-south' region in a devolved nation

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Bibi1410: 10:54am On Sep 05, 2023
Sell the refineries and watch petrol price multiply by 10. You play with the power of Capitalism, foolish poor peasants (working masses) clamouring for subsidy removal, how far now with those private hands.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by GeneralPula: 10:55am On Sep 05, 2023
shakdav:

Regionalism will not work because the north itself has to be divided into 3 part, nobody will want to, be rule by someone that don't understand the part, how can west have 6 state, east has 5 state, south has 6 state and u expect north with 19 with Fct making 20 to be rule by one, uself check you statistics nah, rather every Geopolitical region should have a leader and have a central government at the head of the affair of the nation... I hope this will be more better in your point as illustrated..
I don’t think north would have any problem with having 1 leader. They’ve had it like that before.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Freksy(m): 10:58am On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.

Isn't he telling the truth?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

#BuhariIsNotAclone Trends As Reno Omokri Defends Buhari. / US Deploys Ground Forces Against Boko Haram / Reps Reject CBN’s 10-Day Deadline Extension; Threaten To Arrest Emefiele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.