Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,932 members, 7,828,248 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo (43068 Views)

Alarm Bells Ring As Nigeria’s Refineries Collapse By 92% / Oil Marketers Tell FG To Allow Them Fix Nigeria's Refineries / "Our Refineries Will Be Fully Functional Before 2019 Ending" - Kachikwu Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by GeneralPula: 10:58am On Sep 05, 2023
prophetfire:
Yes regionalism is the best.
However, it's only the radical South westerners like the Afenifere that had been saying it.
Establishment guys like Tinubu and his ilk don't even support restructuring not to talk of regionalism because the rot favours them.
Tinubu as a person have not talked about it but the SW Governor’s have been asking FG since last administration.

If Nigerians are serious about it, we can join hands together and demand regionalism from tinubu. Tinubu I know can sure make it happen for us the way we want!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:59am On Sep 05, 2023
mrvitalis:

We need to restructure along ethnic lines so that the use of Tribalism to get to power would be dead

Can tinubu win election if he contest against another Yoruba man?

It's easier for Yorubas to hold their leaders accountable than Nigeria to do so

Restructuring along ethnic lines helped Europe, helped Asia... Why do you think it would not help us
it helped INDIA

It splitted into two then one them further splitter making three
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Bizibi(m): 11:01am On Sep 05, 2023
It is better to focus on the new refinery now.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by na2016: 11:02am On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.

Keep silent if you don't know what is happening. Even as a former intern in one of the refineries, I know Nigeria's refinery will never work as long as it is under NNPC!
Have you ever wondered why Ndorama Eleme Petrochemical which was also as bad as our refinery while under government, is working now?
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by iswallker(m): 11:02am On Sep 05, 2023
adioolayi:
Out of the four reasons the Shell MD gave according to OBJ...Corruption is the main and only things I can see that won't make it work..

So, Let's wait and see...

December 2023 is around the corner

Three is also important - the economics of refineries - if it's not profitable for shell to run the refinery how will govt run it and make profit cry
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by onatisi(m): 11:02am On Sep 05, 2023
tolue42:
Then we should just sell the refineries once and for all. Seems government don't have any business doing business.
I am shocked many Nigerians believed Tinubu when he said the refineries will start working again by December. Tinubu will eventually sell them to his friends
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by oluwaseyi0: 11:06am On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

I’m just concerned about that will it help matters?

Nepa was sold. Was there any significant change since then?

Yes Nepa now and the old Nepa either we admit it or not are completely different

the major issue we have now is the distribution of our generated electricity, more investors need to come in

As for refinery selling it off is the only way or worse case scenerio scrap it off

most of those refinery are runing on old tecnology, upgrading them will cost more than building a new one
same issue with our iron processing plant

scrap them all or sell

any dime spent on those stuff are going down the drain

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by pongwa(m): 11:09am On Sep 05, 2023
HisSexcellency:

https://leadership.ng/why-nigerias-refineries-will-never-work-obasanjo/
shut up old man! You brought privatisation through telecommunications and its the reason for rise in poverty.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by SaLongs1(m): 11:09am On Sep 05, 2023
grin grin Very funny. Incidentally I am just boiling two cobs from my farm.
OkCornel:
It’s quite simple. The picture below explains how the several billions of dollars spent on Turn Around Maintenance (TAM) of these refineries ended up.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Blazebond(m): 11:10am On Sep 05, 2023
This man is Nigerias biggest problem,the country has given him and his family so much and all he does is find ways to control whomsoever is in power,he said he asked shel to run the refineries, is shell the only oil company in Nigeria? Are there no other investors that he could have liased with? Doesn't he know that with subsidy on ground that nobody would want to invest in the refineries ventures? Did he make any move to sanitize the nnpcl and their agencies then? Obasanjo is an evil man that always thinks that his way is the only way, shameful soul that could not make any of the refineries to be productive during his time while he was president and petroleum minister together,this man is a useless and egoistic man.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Papayaayasager(m): 11:10am On Sep 05, 2023
What of Dangote refinery is not working yet?
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by georgeakins: 11:11am On Sep 05, 2023
EyeCumInPiss:
Nigeria is a Geographical Contraption of diverse Ethnic Nationalities that are not ready to unite and work as one entity.
Only way forward is Restructuring or Balkanisation.

Ibo ancestors led Nigeria to this mess.
Nigeria was well restructured at independence.

To get out of this is not be easy.
The major beneficiaries are the politicians and they're the ones who can change the status quo
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Obiedun(m): 11:13am On Sep 05, 2023
CodeTemplar:
In the old testament, anytime corruption hit its heights, God doesn't send subsidy removal team or palliatives, He sends prophets to reform the minds of the people and most importantly the leaders.
To reform the mind of the people. I like your statement
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by gannod(m): 11:13am On Sep 05, 2023
tolue42:
Then we should just sell the refineries once and for all. Seems government don't have any business doing business.

Actually, government don't have any business doing business.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by mrvitalis(m): 11:15am On Sep 05, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:
it helped INDIA

It splitted into two then one them further splitter making three
India Today is sub divided along ethnic lines

There are Christian States that eat cows eat pigs that look Chinese but are Indians
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by fabolouz1(m): 11:15am On Sep 05, 2023
Opaque reasons .
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by gabicon: 11:16am On Sep 05, 2023
HisSexcellency:

https://leadership.ng/why-nigerias-refineries-will-never-work-obasanjo/

I did my industrial training at warri refinery in 2008 and based on what I saw, I couldn't agree anymore with president Obasanjo. Apart from the four reasons shell gave, many of the equipments are comatose, the aviation fuel plant is a scrap yard, even if they manage to buy new equipments to replace the dead ones, they have to retrain all the staffs because the generation that got the refinery working are all retired, the people employed in the last 15 years don't know what it's like to have a working refinery. When we put all the cost of equipment, training and others together, it makes no sense for anyone or group to speculate that working refineries would bring down the price of petrol to #200/litre, only subsidies can make that possible.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by mrvitalis(m): 11:17am On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

Bro, favoritism is part of human and its natural. Europe and Asia might have been lucky because they did their restructuring long time ago. Things are not like before. What they did then, if they wants to try it out now, they may not be successful!

I don’t know what you mean by can tinubu contest election against a Yoruba man and then win. He has contested against Yoruba man during governorship. He even contested against Yoruba man during Apc primaries. So what are you insinuating here o? I don’t know why you carry tinubu enter the matter tho?

Our regionalism has worked for us before and I believe it can work again! Every region should start controlling it resources abeg! Why are you against regionalism?
If we must have regions then let it minimum of 6 regions with province along sub tribal or ethnic lines... That's what I mean by restructuring along ethnic lines

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by sulaak(m): 11:18am On Sep 05, 2023
ecolime:
Nigeria government is too corrupt and incompetent to manage any enterprise successfully.

Even if you have a corrupt free leader who has the mind of the people, the evil government workers will never let the refineries function well.

The mistake we made was not selling the refineries off. I agree with Atiku's stand on this.

He muted the idea of selling them first although people like me crucified him then lipsrsealed

If the government is too corrupt to function, then fix the government. The solution is not to sell government assets to private individuals operating within a corrupt government environment but to reform the systems like the Malaysian and Singaporean did in the 1970s.

Why didn't OBJ persecute the corruption within NNPC? Or was he afraid of Danjuma and IBB, two key stakeholders in the corruption within the oil industry? The private sector cannot survive in a corrupt government unless it becomes corrupt.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by planetx: 11:19am On Sep 05, 2023
Obsolete refineries.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Angelfrost(m): 11:23am On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.

Try and know the distinction between Pessimism and Realism... Obasanjo has explained his position, and it is clearly irrefutable!

The government clearly can't handle the Petroleum sector due to poor leadership and shocking levels of corruption... Fully privatizing them will be the way forward.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by KanwuliaExtra: 11:23am On Sep 05, 2023
What a weakling!
I wonder how other countries conquer all these obstacles. The Saudis have 2 heads abi?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Skilino(m): 11:25am On Sep 05, 2023
Everyone should go an listen to baba fella

I come In peace...
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Angelfrost(m): 11:26am On Sep 05, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:
What a weakling!
I wonder how other countries conquer all these obstacles. The Saudis have 2 heads abi?

The Saudis totally dealt with and eradicated CORRUPTION eons ago...!

Corruption is deeply rooted in every sector of this nation... I mean EVERY single fvcking one.

That's precisely why true development and growth have remained a mystery in this 4th world nation.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by jaxxy(m): 11:26am On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.

truth is bitter.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by KanwuliaExtra: 11:27am On Sep 05, 2023
sulaak:

If the government is too corrupt to function, then fix the government. The solution is not to sell government assets to private individuals operating within a corrupt government environment but to reform the systems like the Malaysian and Singaporean did in the 1970s.

Why didn't OBJ persecute the corruption within NNPC? Or was he afraid of Danjuma and IBB, two key stakeholders in the corruption within the oil industry? The private sector cannot survive in a corrupt government unless it becomes corrupt.

When OBJ was the corruption-in-chief nko?
OBJ is the father of corruption in Nigeria with the fake democracy he was practicing. The old crook was even looking for a third term agenda.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Angelfrost(m): 11:29am On Sep 05, 2023
CodeTemplar:
In the old testament, anytime corruption hit its heights, God doesn't send subsidy removal team or palliatives, He sends prophets to reform the minds of the people and most importantly the leaders.

Preach it...! Let Nigerians keep deceiving themselves.

As long as we refuse to put aside ethnic and religious differences and address this rotten and corrupt system of government that has existed with us since the Civil war, there will be no progress in this nation.

Leave your fellow citizens to keep celebrating crumbs and mediocrity like Flyovers and Railways, while their leaders rob them blind.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by KanwuliaExtra: 11:29am On Sep 05, 2023
Angelfrost:

The Saudis totally dealt with and eradicated CORRUPTION eons ago...!

Corruption is deeply rooted in every sector of this nation... I mean EVERY single fvcking one.

That's precisely why true development and growth have remained a mystery in this 4th world nation.

Exactly!

That is how democracy is practiced in AFRICA only. Nigeria remains doomed!
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Angelfrost(m): 11:33am On Sep 05, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Exactly!

That is how democracy is practiced in AFRICA only. Nigeria remains doomed!

Eternally DOOMED!

That's why those hailing Tinubu make me laugh.

No matter what the man does, if he fails to address the corruption in all key sectors (Oil, Electricity, Defense, etc), there will no true progress.

Unfortunately, a deeply corrupt and morally compromised man has no bearing or standing to address and eliminate corruption.

The blind can never properly lead the blind.

If Buhari who is less corrupt oversaw a far more corrupt regime than his predecessor, how can anyone expect miracles or improvements with Tinubu??!

Pure Delusion!
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by RolexOfGeneva(m): 11:36am On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.
Typical African. Enemies of realism.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Angelfrost(m): 11:36am On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

Restructuring is a scam bro! Don’t fall for it! What exactly do we want to restructure? Do you remember Vision 2020 scam?

The best thing we can do is to go back to regionalism! To me, this is the best solution. We were using it before and it worked for us!

SW Governor’s have been calling for the regionalism but other part of the county are still quiet. We should go back to regionalism then things can change. Imagine we go back to regionalism and:

Fashola is to be western leader premier..
Donald duke to be southern leader premier..
Kwankwaso to be northern leader premier..
Dave Umahi to be eastern leader premier..

I believe this is the only significant thing we can do, any other thing aside from that is like fetching water inside basket..

Best comment so far...

Unfortunately and Sadly, this will never happen... NEVER!

Only a widespread bloody revolution or Military coup can set such in motion.

As it stands... The descent of the nation into economic ruin is becoming more and more inevitable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aftermath Presidential Order, These Are Images From Eko Bridge, Ijora 7up & More / Gani Adams: Tolulope Arotile's Death Looks Suspicious To Me / Twitter Removes Osinbajo’s Post For Copyright Violation Of Beyonce’s Song

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.