Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,204 members, 7,829,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo (43075 Views)

Alarm Bells Ring As Nigeria’s Refineries Collapse By 92% / Oil Marketers Tell FG To Allow Them Fix Nigeria's Refineries / "Our Refineries Will Be Fully Functional Before 2019 Ending" - Kachikwu Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by okoroemeka(m): 7:21pm On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.
he is just saying the truth,if not why is the refineries not working up till now after 4 presidents and billions wasted,there is truth in what he said,and that deal that yaradua cancelled is the Genesis of this fuel crisis
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by thinkmoney(m): 7:38pm On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

Restructuring is a scam bro! Don’t fall for it! What exactly do we want to restructure? Do you remember Vision 2020 scam?

The best thing we can do is to go back to regionalism! To me, this is the best solution. We were using it before and it worked for us!

SW Governor’s have been calling for the regionalism but other part of the county are still quiet. We should go back to regionalism then things can change. Imagine we go back to regionalism and:

Fashola is to be western leader premier..
Donald duke to be southern leader premier..
Kwankwaso to be northern leader premier..
Dave Umahi to be eastern leader premier..

I believe this is the only significant thing we can do, any other thing aside from that is like fetching water inside basket..
Regionalism will mean the end of the country. We should find a middle point between restructuring and regionalism
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by soccerlite: 7:49pm On Sep 05, 2023
Obj

Old man that's Always stating half truth

Old man fear death now even when you are old age
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by soccerlite: 7:54pm On Sep 05, 2023
GeneralPula:

Restructuring is a scam bro! Don’t fall for it! What exactly do we want to restructure? Do you remember Vision 2020 scam?

The best thing we can do is to go back to regionalism! To me, this is the best solution. We were using it before and it worked for us!

SW Governor’s have been calling for the regionalism but other part of the county are still quiet. We should go back to regionalism then things can change. Imagine we go back to regionalism and:

I believe this is the only significant thing we can do, any other thing aside from that is like fetching water inside basket..

Stop saying Restructuring is a scam

Restructuring is a word to qualify new approach diff from what's being carried out now

Is regionalism not part of Restructuring
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by sulaak(m): 8:44pm On Sep 05, 2023
fxexperts:
Your illiteracy is mind blowing, so in everything that he said, this is the only thing you can think about. Are you a big joke?

As how, as an almighty that will just wave a magic wand abi. you guys are a big joke i swear. You want one man to come from nowhere and solve all your problem by waving a magic wand abi.

Nobody forces OBJ to be president if he can't do the jobs he shouldn't have contested.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by bunmit(m): 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2023
iwaeda:

We said so, but the yea sayers, can't see truth, putting new steel on rusted / corroded plates can never work. We should be thinking of new refineries, rather than wasting money and resources on dead horse standing. grin grin grin grin grin grin

It was never sold to the right people. They sold it within themselves. So how do you expect something good to come out of it?
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by luluman: 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Pessimistic statesman.
Very typical of Nigerians, YOU never want to hear the truth.What a pity.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by sonofElElyon: 10:24pm On Sep 05, 2023
porka:

How many times will they do this?
Did you travel the last time?

Ibe Kachickwu was literally plucked from the private sector for the sole purpose of making the refineries work.

Did you forget the disaster? He was practically 'pushed out' of government at the end, leaving the refining capacity at 15% while promising to increase it to 30%.

Is it that we don't have any sense of history in this country, or people's memory is so shallow? It is not even up to 5 years.

1. You are very abusive odious and uncouth. You need to change
2. You didn't comprehend my post. Read again because you missed where I said no government interference !
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by poseidon12: 12:48am On Sep 06, 2023
GeneralPula:

Confused man who obviously does not understand what restructuring means.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by tonyshine01: 6:59am On Sep 06, 2023
EyeCumInPiss:
Nigeria is a Geographical Contraption of diverse Ethnic Nationalities that are not ready to unite and work as one entity.
Only way forward is Restructuring or Balkanisation.

Just the way Togo, Ben and Ghana are working well.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by jimi4us: 8:00am On Sep 06, 2023
GeneralPula:

I’m just concerned about that will it help matters?

Nepa was sold. Was there any significant change since then?

Every small thing una go reference NEPA, how about we talk about growth in telecom privatisation? Why don't we talk about that.

You get refinery keep am for cupboard and it's still eating you billions every year for doing nothing. Small thing NEPA.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Blackman101: 8:40am On Sep 06, 2023
Obasanjo the only man that will tell the whole story the way it is.

we just need to face the fact in this country
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by shakdav(m): 8:42am On Sep 06, 2023
GeneralPula:

I don’t think north would have any problem with having 1 leader. They’ve had it like that before.

The north of before is not now bro, every region needs independenc, if eventually we want everybody to developed.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Cantonese: 9:40am On Sep 06, 2023
Think9ja:

Comments like this is what has kept us like this 63 years after independence. People are still looking for a strong leader. Nigeria was built on a very faulty foundation. Ten strong leaders cannot fix Nigeria. Until we discuss our nationhood, every nation of the earth will leave us behind.

A non Ti person cannot be governor of Benue State
A Christian cannot be governor of Nasarawa State
A Muslim cannot be governor of Plateau state.
An minority tribe cannot be president of Nigeria.

These are the issues.
We haven't discussed our coexistence.

Until we do that, we will be here in 2050 lamenting over the same thing

“ A non Ti person cannot be governor of Benue State
A Christian cannot be governor of Nasarawa State
A Muslim cannot be governor of Plateau state.
An minority tribe cannot be president of Nigeria”.

You miss the point completely bro.

Our nationhood is not the problem. The problem are the people and leaders.

Rwanda fought a bitter tribal war that took the lives of millions. With a great leader, they became the nation they are today.

All over the world, there are various tribes and religious groups represented in all the countries. There is no single country where you do not have diverse groups and religion. The Americans have different groups and religious inclinations. The same goes for the United Kingdom. The same for China, Russia, etc. All countries have different races, yet look at their societies. Leadership made them what they became.

Our country simply suffers very poor leadership. Nigerians have suffered severally in the hands of the leaders and now, there is non to trust anymore. The best people are not able to get into positions of power.

We have the responsibility to ensure, democratically that the best people find themselves in positions of power.

With great leaders, all the biases are wiped away. We simple need nation builders and not looters, who use religion and ethnicity to divide us further.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by sammytee02(m): 3:03pm On Sep 06, 2023
paul100:

I am doing my industrial training in the port Harcourt refinery.There is a lot of work going on in here,so many new parts have been bought and fixed,day in,day out.They work morning till night.I just want to let you know the refinery is not still the same as before.So many companies are here working.I just hope the refinery start working by December

Thanks for the clarification. We hope so too.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by ivolt: 6:30pm On Sep 06, 2023
GeneralPula:

I’m just concerned about that will it help matters?

Nepa was sold. Was there any significant change since then?
Nepa wasn't sold.
Part of it was concessioned to distributors.
When you sell a company, you make money and not losses.
Till today, FG is still making losses on NEPA.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by ivolt: 6:32pm On Sep 06, 2023
Neddstark:
You had at least 8 years to make at least one of them work but you didn't. Decades later, you're still telling stories.
I don't think you understand the point he was making.
NITEL worked until it didn't.
The refineries worked until they didn't.
Ajaokuta never worked.
Any government spending Nigeria's scarce resources on refineries is foolish.
Even if PH refinery works in December, it will break down and require huge investment again.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by Sharmeenator(m): 10:12pm On Sep 06, 2023
gabicon:

I did my industrial training at warri refinery in 2008 and based on what I saw, I couldn't agree anymore with president Obasanjo. Apart from the four reasons shell gave, many of the equipments are comatose, the aviation fuel plant is a scrap yard, even if they manage to buy new equipments to replace the dead ones, they have to retrain all the staffs because the generation that got the refinery working are all retired, the people employed in the last 15 years don't know what it's like to have a working refinery. When we put all the cost of equipment, training and others together, it makes no sense for anyone or group to speculate that working refineries would bring down the price of petrol to #200/litre, only subsidies can make that possible.
Nice input there. Sorry I have been meaning to ask o, the current workers at the refineries, what exactly are their duties? What are they being paid for?
Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by gabicon: 12:53pm On Sep 07, 2023
Sharmeenator:

Nice input there. Sorry I have been meaning to ask o, the current workers at the refineries, what exactly are their duties? What are they being paid for?

There is work that leads to productivity and work that is done to pass time. A lot of the latter was what was being done then. You have to create work to justify the salaries collected, but the KPI should be finished product, to be fair on the workers they are willing to work but our politics won't allow the place function.

I don't know of how the place is ATM but as at when I was there, they had 2 main compressors one had been cannibalised the other on live support, there was only one man who was a retiree that they brought back and made a contract staff that could manipulate compressor 2.
They had 2 power plants, a gas turbine 40MW and steam turbine 125MW I think. The steam turbine had been cannibalised all its impellers on the floor.

There was some refining but it was skeletal in nature.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Refineries Will Never Work – Obasanjo by shakdav(m): 9:11am On Nov 08, 2023
GeneralPula:

I don’t think north would have any problem with having 1 leader. They’ve had it like that before.
before is not now, check the level of hatred in the north among religion line, they you will know that we are just enduring with one another, have u head from from the 2014 conference held, the issue was brought forward but some of the people from north rejected and propose a 6 regional segment, and say let nobody feels like they will stay like before ooh, we must separate into six for the good of development and economy benefits and peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Recruit OPC To Guard Stations / Govt Shares $322.5m Abacha Loot To 1.9m Nigerians / Obasanjo At HID Awolowo's Burial: Caption These Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.