Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf (40844 Views)

Anambra, Bayelsa, Ekiti, Ibom State Airports Are Not Commercially Viable – MD FA / Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 / Great Airports Of Africa - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by magzey: 10:33pm On Sep 14, 2023
MrEverest:
Lies!
Sam Mbakwe airport Owerri is busier than Aminu Kano airport Kano, so how did the later end up being more viable?

Again, travelers using Owerri airport are more likely to pay more fees because people in the catchment area has more disposable income. Lol, ethnocentrism will never allow this country to work.
viability does not mean number of passengers worth, Kano Airport deals in international flight more than the Owerri Airport thats where the gains normally comes from grin

2 Likes

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by legitnow1: 10:33pm On Sep 14, 2023
Abagworo:

First off you are very ignorant. I am not Ikwerre and Ikwerre is dry fertile land not creeks and being Igbo or not doesn't change the proximity of Aba to Port Harcourt Airport. Ignorance is indeed a big disease and Amaechi said he is Igbo many times.

LLOOK, DO U KNOW THE MEANING OF WITCHCRAFT?

TELL ME ONE NIGERIA IS NOT PUT TOGETHER FOR THE PURPOSE OF WITCHCRAFT?

Y WONT YOU PARASITES LEAVE THE IGBO MAN ALONE.

GO AND BUILD YOUR AIRPORTS IN YOUR STATES AND USE IT, WE HAVE BUILT OUR OWN.
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by legitnow1: 10:36pm On Sep 14, 2023
IGBO MAN CANNOT REST OR DRINK WATER DROP CUP.

E NO GO EVER BETTER FOR LUGGARD AND BRITAIN.

WE DID NOT STOP ANY PROJECT IN ANYBODY STATE, BUT THEY CANNOT LEAVE SE STATE PPROJECTS ALONE.

THAT IS WITCHCRAFT.
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by MasterTee007: 10:36pm On Sep 14, 2023
While I want to agree with him, I also can disagree a bit....building an airport can open up lands in the area for other development and expansion. I know New Airport Road in Ibadan has opened up that area. It all depends on the plan by the State Governments long term and short term. I do agree that building a massive project like that allows for kickbacks and embezzlement because you will need tons of contractors for different parts of the project.

EcoBrick:

https://nairametrics.com/2023/09/14/only-four-airports-are-economically-sustainable-in-nigeria-dr-muda-yusuf/
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by SeaTrade(m): 10:37pm On Sep 14, 2023
Reference:

Indeed. And as I have been saying for years. The health of the aviation sector is incumbent on the viability of the middle class. It is the middle class that travels not the rich or the poor.

That middle class was more or less lost in the 80' and ever since the aviation industry has become a meat grinder, chopping up and spitting out one brand after the other in short order including the national carrier and all attempts at reviving it.

It is simply the case of an economic structure that is not fit to support aviation as the causative and not the symptoms of unviable airports the man talks about.
If there's no market for air travel due to the absence of "middle class" in Nigeria like you said,
Then explain why airpeace keep buying new aircrafts almost daily?
They just ordered 5 brand new Embraer 175 today from Brazil to be supplied next year.
Not that people aren't flying ,just that some airports are located in places that have little no no economics driving air commute to those places,hence the airports become redundant with almost zero yield, dumping the cost of operation burden on FG.
Middle class in Nigeria has been growing sir,the evidence is all around you.
The problem is the distribution of the growth of the middle class across the entire area of Nigeria chief.

2 Likes

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by potent5(m): 10:39pm On Sep 14, 2023
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by SonOfDSoil01: 10:46pm On Sep 14, 2023
ezegenigbonine:
Oyo - accent and model buildings
Ondo - fisher man state
Ogun - they try small
Osun - village
Ekiti - na small juju this one sabi, very bushy
Lagos - na only God give una lagos, built by britain
But some cone heads with tribal mark will always take the glory as if na there ancestors develop am.shabi na your ancestors develop am, werey you better ask your fathers at home cus I guess you are still a kid to know the history of Lagos. No be our fault say God bless us with better location, you better face home before you loss Danu

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by cassyrooy(m): 10:48pm On Sep 14, 2023
aceman88:
Show me the passenger traffic from Aminu Kano airport, Akanu Ibiam airport, Enugu and Sam Mbakwe airport Owerri for the past two years now before I can consider your submissions.

We should try to remove propaganda from the running of government because it will never usher in development. It can never represent the facts on ground. I don't know whether call this mischievous or hate filled.
Kano hardly outperform Owerri in 4th place but since 1983 it was built, no efforts to uplift the airport infrastructure to meet international standards.

It's all political gimmicks.

1 Like

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by 2elliot: 10:52pm On Sep 14, 2023
LeoDeKing:
Mbok, you mean those overhyped airstrips in the barren land can't sustain themselves?

I now understand why Lagos airport is being overstretched.
gboun
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by Broveens42(m): 11:09pm On Sep 14, 2023
cassyrooy:
Kano hardly outperform Owerri in 4th place but since 1983 it was built, no efforts to uplift the airport infrastructure to meet international standards.

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by Broveens42(m): 11:10pm On Sep 14, 2023
cassyrooy:

It is called quota theatrics; the bane of development in the amalgamated region.
Neither portharcourt airport nor Kano makes more money than Sam mbakwe airport annually, international or no international.

People who use airports regularly know this truth and are conversant with situations like these for their bookings:
Abuja to to Ph- no flight
Abuja to Owerri - ✓ owerri to Abuja
Lagos to Ph- no flight
Lagos to Owerri- ✓ owerri to Lagos

Going to Owerri is always available. I challenge any entity to disprove this fact

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by galantjoe(m): 11:10pm On Sep 14, 2023
For example, Ebonyi State airport has not been used any commercial airliners since it's commission one year ago.

A typical example of White elephant project
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by Ladyclara002(f): 11:13pm On Sep 14, 2023
Wow
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by olisaEze(m): 11:15pm On Sep 14, 2023
If you tell them that the money spent on building some of these airstrips in some States could’ve been better utilized in building a subway system or even a monorail to ease the dependence on transporting goods & personnel via road, they’ll call you names. Today they’re being schooled in plain black & white on how their governors spent billions just to give them empty bragging rights! A white elephant project is not so different from the old school 419, except it’s on a larger scale. It’s a money laundering politician’s wet dream! He gets feted & applauded by the same people he’s robbing. grin
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by ezegenigbonine: 11:16pm On Sep 14, 2023
[quote author=SonOfDSoil01 post=125797493][/quote]

See who dey teach me history, the only yoruba land wey you go talk for history is oyo state.

Remember that during nigerian civil war, almost all the building in south east was burn to ashes, no war in west, no war in south.
But go to same south east now and see for yourselves ibo no be una mate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by cassyrooy(m): 11:19pm On Sep 14, 2023
Broveens42:

It is called quota theatrics; the bane of development in the amalgamated region.
Non of portharcourt airport or Kano makes more money than Sam mbakwe airport annually, international or no international.

People who use airports regularly know this truth and are conversant with situations like these for their bookings.
Abuja to Owerri - ✓
Lagos to Ph- no flight
Abuja to Owerri- ✓

Going to Owerri is always available. I challenge any entity to disprove this fact
Look at this download from NBS or so, imagine Owerri connecting directly to international routes? At least, extra 300k would have been recorded by the airport.

Mana, yadiba!

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by tiswell(m): 11:29pm On Sep 14, 2023
aceman88:
Show me the passenger traffic from Aminu Kano airport, Akanu Ibiam airport, Enugu and Sam Mbakwe airport Owerri for the past two years now before I can consider your submissions.

We should try to remove propaganda from the running of government because it will never usher in development. It can never represent the facts on ground. I don't know whether call this mischievous or hate filled.
what do you expect from lagos- Ibadan express media
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by APOPTOSIS: 11:40pm On Sep 14, 2023
What about my Bayelsa Airport, and why..?
That means no need for Ebonyi naa😂😂
Until we start getting our priorities right we will never have sense. Most people in Nigeria do things just because their neighbors are doing it... Nothing else
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by ObaaOfYorubaLan: 11:42pm On Sep 14, 2023
legitnow1:
AFTER BANNING MY MONIKER FOR STATING THE FACT, GO AND DEMOLISH THE BEAUTIFUL AIRPORTS SERVING SE IGBO PEOPLE.

WICKEDNESS GETS YOU NO WHERE.

THAT IS Y U WILL NEVER PROGRESS, THE TIME U ARE SUPPOSE TO SPEND GROWING, U SPEND TRYING TO HOLD OTHERS DOWN OR PULL OTHERS DOWN.

U ARE TODAY IN BLACKOUT JUST LIKE NIGER REPUBLIC THAT YOU CUT THEIR LIGHT.

LEARN, U CAN NEVER LEARN.

NDIZUZU

Just see how they banned my other moniker this night simple because I replied a Yoruba guy wey dey insult my Igbo tribe that's the reason they ban me. I no even insult the guy ooo. They no even mentioned my offensive comment to me

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by SeaTrade(m): 11:57pm On Sep 14, 2023
Broveens42:

Neither portharcourt airport nor Kano makes more money than Sam mbakwe airport annually, international or no international.

People who use airports regularly know this truth and are conversant with situations like these for their bookings:
Abuja to Owerri - ✓ owerri to Abuja
Lagos to Ph- no flight
Lagos to Owerri- ✓ owerri to Lagos

Flights to Owerri are always available because passengers to fill the planes no dey na,common sense.
PH routes don't have as much available flights because they've been fully booked and has left.
Airpeace uses its triple seven(777) to fly lagos to PH routes sometimes,
I dare them to do same for owerri grin

1 Like

Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by Benwallt(m): 12:18am On Sep 15, 2023
Frigga13:
If lagos no be former capital.., so Yoruba land , region .. for don be waste of space on earth..

Thank God for God..

Some region for don stuck in 12 century

Yoruba go ask why always mention Yoruba..

But will not ask those insecure brothers why always mention Igbos..

But will like and share their post

Tribalist them .. not proud of their Yoruba nature

Yoruba na so e go always be..

Una likes and shares end here.. make the world reading know say na so Yoruba people be…

It's a shame. No economically viable airport in the entire sadEAST the land of billionaires that escaped from different prisons across the world.

It is a shame. Very shameful. So that Pandora no build airport for 8 miserable and tortuous years in office.

sadEAST is drawing Nigeria backwards seriously. Make 8.0 earthquake just cancel them out abeg. Very unproductive
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by LZAA: 1:13am On Sep 15, 2023
ezegenigbonine:
Oyo - accent and model buildings
Ondo - fisher man state
Ogun - they try small
Osun - village
Ekiti - na small juju this one sabi, very bushy
Lagos - na only God give una lagos, built by britain
But some cone heads with tribal mark will always take the glory as if na there ancestors develop am.

😄😄😄😄😄😄
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by onumadu: 1:14am On Sep 15, 2023
SeaTrade:
Flights to Owerri are always available because passengers to fill the planes no dey na,common sense.
PH routes don't have as much available flights because they've been fully booked and has left.
Airpeace uses its triple seven(777) to fly lagos to PH routes sometimes,
I dare them to do same for owerri grin

PH is an international airport that connects people from outside Nigeria THROUGH LAGOS and ABUJA to PH.
That explains the 777. But the flights are not always available because they are international, which explains the "No flight" days.
Everybody knows that airlines don't schedule flights on routes that are not busy (i.e booked well).
But I can't wait for ABIA state to build its own airport. After that wind go blow and we go see fowl nyash. grin
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by dragunov: 1:26am On Sep 15, 2023
Alchemy528:
We've had.

Heard, alchemy! Heard!
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by dragunov: 1:27am On Sep 15, 2023
Frigga13:
If lagos no be former capital.., so Yoruba land , region .. for don be waste of space on earth..

Thank God for God..

Some region for don stuck in 12 century

Yoruba go ask why always mention Yoruba..

But will not ask those insecure brothers why always mention Igbos..

But will like and share their post

Tribalist them .. not proud of their Yoruba nature

Yoruba na so e go always be..

Una likes and shares end here.. make the world reading know say na so Yoruba people be…

Obi will not be president!🤪🤪🤪🤪
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by Solsix(m): 2:08am On Sep 15, 2023
MrEverest:
Lies!
Sam Mbakwe airport Owerri is busier than Aminu Kano airport Kano, so how did the later end up being more viable?

Again, travelers using Owerri airport are more likely to pay more fees because people in the catchment area has more disposable income. Lol, ethnocentrism will never allow this country to work.
Kano is an international airport
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by Nobody: 2:09am On Sep 15, 2023
toprealman:
This right here makes no sense:
He also highlighted that the increasing construction of airports by state governors places a growing regulatory burden on the agency.

He failed to explain how the burden is placed. I agree some of the airport may not be viable.
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by sunboy(m): 2:34am On Sep 15, 2023
Alchemy528:
We've had.

Heard.
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by obyno82: 3:02am On Sep 15, 2023
LeoDeKing:
Mbok, you mean those overhyped airstrips in the barren land can't sustain themselves?

I now understand why Lagos airport is being overstretched.

Don't you think you are becoming a nuisance with this rubbish you just wrote?
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by obyno82: 3:03am On Sep 15, 2023
Jogs1900:

Before nko?Those state governors are not economically sound.

You are also a nuisance like the person whose comment you replied.
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by obyno82: 3:04am On Sep 15, 2023
Jogs1900:

Afise ni eleyii oo...
In all your posts, if you no mention Yoruba, you never complete your statement. It's good you envy the Yoruba tribe because it's above yours in all ramifications.
One can only envy what is above someone.

Dude shut up and stop being a nuisance
Re: Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf by obyno82: 3:09am On Sep 15, 2023
Omoawoke2:

See those pained ipob haters up there already spitting venom saying Yorubaland has only Lagos

Let’s assume that’s true.

So yorubaland has Lagos

North central has Abuja

South south has Portharcout

North has Kano

Please what does southeast have?

Can’t southeast develop one city to be proud of and be of national pride??

Shey awa lo ko ba yin ni?
Are we responsible for your unfortunate situation?

When southwest leaders were fighting and building their region, what were your leaders doing?

Una go talk say una sabi business thinking business ends in selling okrika and spareparts. We southwesterners are smart and strategic, do you expect us to develop international airports all over southwest cities when it is not an economic smart decision. We think smart and long term. Not doing things to show ego

Oh i forgot,
Peter obi developed Anambra brown line

You are naturally predisposed to being stupid with the nature of your comments. Apart from lagos airport which is federal which state airport in SW is viable? Okay let us do comparison of state airports in SE and SW. Which one is more viable? Dude stop being dense and daft abeg, it is making you a nuisance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Want To Give Birth In Us / Ethiopian Airline Lands Latest Boeing 787-9 In Abuja With 177 Passengers / A Visit To the Beautiful Lekki Art - One of the Biggest Art Markets in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.