Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,796 members, 7,827,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) (5954 Views)

Reno Omokri: How Akintola Repelled Nwobosi Who Came To Kill Him (Jan 1966) / Lieutenants Bassey, Ademulegun, Maimalari, Umar & Aguiyi-Ironsi (Throwback Photo / Ahmad Lawan Appoints Babagana Aji As His Chief Of Staff (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 11:05am On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

We have been down this road before. You uploaded Gowon's gazette without being able to point out exactly where he declared resource control dead and powers centralized unlike Ironsi 's in which it was clearly stated that the regions were abolished and the civil service unified. Gowon's state creation was a step of refederalization and a return of power to the federating units.

Oga it is a lie. Gowon actually removed resource control in decree 8 where he also abolished regions and in place created states. Guy go and rest your plan is dead and besides, what is your plan for bringing up something that happened more than 50 years against a people right now. Is it that your tribe are blameless? Why is it that once it comes to election time once an Igbo man comes to contest bigots like you will resurrect this same case, but at the same time you preach reconciliation and forgiveness but cannot seem to want to twist and attack igbos for 1966 when in hindsight Ironsi never abolished regions.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 11:19am On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Oga it is a lie. Gowon actually removed resource control in decree 8 where he also abolished regions and in place created states. Guy go and rest your plan is dead and besides, what is your plan for bringing up something that happened more than 50 years against a people right now. Is it that your tribe are blameless? Why is it that once it comes to election time once an Igbo man comes to contest bigots like you will resurrect this same case, but at the same time you preach reconciliation and forgiveness but cannot seem to want to twist and attack igbos for 1966 when in hindsight Ironsi never abolished regions.
The idiot had returned to rant in defense of the blunder of his brother. Pray tell me if you would have been of the opinion today that Ironsi didn't destroy federalism if it had been a Yoruba, Hausa or even an Edo man that did exactly what Ironsi did?

3 Likes

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 11:33am On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Who is preaching reconciliation and forgiveness as regards Igbos? Look at this comedian! What is being preached is that Igbos must apologize to the rest Nigerian ethnicities and tribes for introducing the military rule abberration, being the first to tamper with our we-the-people constitution, introducing bloodshed into an independent Nigeria through the dastardly and stupid January 1966 coup and many other things we suffer today as a result of your fathers' greed and lack political contentment. Anything short of that, it will be almost impossible for a majority of Nigerians to support Igbo presidency. You ask what has been done by the other tribes in the past fifty years about reversing Ironsi's blunder? Where were you when Obasanjo in 1978 made another Igbo man, Professor Nwabueze, the chairman of the committee charged with reviewing the fiscal policy lists in the constitutional conference of that year which would later birth the independence constitution and rather than correct the blunder Ironsi did on his advice twelve years earlier, Nwabueze further transferred an additional 50% of items from both the residual and concurrent lists to the exclusive list thus further entrenching unitary system in search of the same Azikiwe's dubious One-Nigeria only for him to, many years later again begin to mount pressure on Jonathan to convoke a confab to decentralize power and resources? That is the attitude of the average Igbo man for you? What of Obi who kept saying in his campaign that the present constitution has no fault amidst the conspiratorial silence of his fellow Igbo who ironically had been demonizing Buhari for eight years over his refusal to implement the 2014 confab report which proposed a return to the pre-Ironsi era arrangement? Hypocrites!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 11:41am On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

I tell you I would make the same case if Ironsi were Yoruba or any other tribe. You problem is that you think I am a bigot and a miserable person like you who lack manners and discipline.
Once again I would report you to the mods so that you are banned again, then you will have discipline. Frustrated soul.

Mynd44, Obinoscopy, Seun, Dominique, NLPolicewoman, Rule 2 violation " he called me an idiot"

Look at the hypocrite who started with abusive language is calling on the mods. Hahaha! If you can't take the heat of facts and logical reasoning in a debate you better stop engaging.
You don't win debates by calling people stupid, etc. Any reasonable mod who visits here and reads through the thread will discover that it was you who first used the word 'stupid' on me when you could no longer compete favourably.
Even a very rare honest Igbo man, Philip Asiodu, confessed publicly that Ojukwu confided in him that he and Ironsi's ulterior motive for taking over power illegally was to abolish the regions. I will soon bring up the link. I guess you know Ironsi and Ojukwu better than Philip Asiodu.

3 Likes

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 11:51am On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

I tell you I would make the same case if Ironsi were Yoruba or any other tribe. You problem is that you think I am a bigot and a miserable person like you who lack manners and discipline.
Once again I would report you to the mods so that you are banned again, then you will have discipline. Frustrated soul.

Mynd44, Obinoscopy, Seun, Dominique, NLPolicewoman, Rule 2 violation " he called me an idiot"

Here is the story in which Philip Asiodu who was an active player in the events revealed that Ojukwu confided in him that the plans of him and Ironsi was to abolish the regions within six months of taking over power and really they did.

Note where the report reads:

Emeka Ojukwu and myself were very good friends in school, Kings College, Lagos, and Oxford University. In fact when the coup happened, he wanted me to join him in Enugu and I told him that I was not a regional man. And Ojukwu told me ‘we shall abolish the regions within 6 months’.

Mind you that it was The Sun newspaper owned by an Igbo man that carried the story hence insinuation of propaganda against Igbo by other tribes will not hold water here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sunnewsonline.com/impunity-killing-nigeria-phillip-asiodu/%3famp

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by ican2020: 12:10pm On Dec 09, 2023
leanonme82:
Last hours of Brigadier Zakariya Maimalari

January 14, 1966… There was a party at Maimalari’s house at 11, Thompson Avenue, Ikoyi, Lagos. it was planned by his ADC. The man he trusted with his life, Emmanuel Arinze Ifeajuna. The very man who planned the first coup in Nigeria in which his boss was one of the targets to be eliminated.

At this time, Maimalari was the Commander of 2ndbrigade Nigerian army in Lagos, Ifeajuna was his chief of staff and in charge of his details. Maimalari was the most powerful soldier from the North and a greatly admired public figure among northerners.

Maimalari was celebrating his marriage to a new bride. Ifeajuna sent out all the letters for the party that day. All senior officers and their ADC were at the party that evening. The list included the GOC of the army, Aguyi Ironsi, Colonel Kur Mohammed, Chief of Staff, army headquarters and Colonel Yakubu Gowon, commander of the 2nd battalion at Ikeja. A lot of politicians and cabinet ministers were also at the party. As the party progressed, his new wife from Kano was presented to his friends. She was young and very beautiful. Maimlari showed her off as the soldiers gazed at her while the orchestra and the 2nd battalion band from Ikeja drummed for the occasion.

A lot of junior officers were at the party as well. Some of them were in on Ifeajuna’s plans for a coup the next day. At midnight, shortly after the party, they all met at Ifeajuna’s house at Apapa. He got in late, there were 12 officers waiting for him among them were Humprey Chukwuka (deputy general in the Nigerian army) and Major Christain Anuforo, General staff officer at the army headquarters.

A Yoruba akotileta house negro was at the meeting. His name was Adegboyega. Another very important active member of the group was Anuforo. Other important officers at the meeting that evening were Donatus Okafor, Captain Ogbonna Oji and Lientenant Oyewole. Someone joined them much later at the meeting, Obienu, his task was to take over the barracks at Abeokuta which had a lot of firepower that they needed for the coup. The man tasked to go to Maimalari’s house to kill him was Donatus Okafor.

2am, the phone rang at Maimalari’s house, it was Elizabeth, Yakubu Gowon’s wife that called him to tell him her husband had been arrested by some of the coup plotters. While Maimalari was on the phone with him, he heard commotion at his own gate. One of his guards had been shot and killed for refusing to open the gate . Immediately he heard the gunshot, he ran upstairs to his house, took his new wife and hid her in the servant’s quarters, then he ran to the back of his house, scaled the fence, and disappeared into the darkness.

Donatus Okafor….. nearly ran mad when he realized Maimlari had escaped…. Maimalari was the most powerful solder in Lagos ( although not the most senior)…. he was the commander of the southern brigade in Apapa… lots of the fighting forces of the battalions…. Field artillery corps… armored and mechanized corps were under his command… he could mobilize an entire brigade with his powers in the military….. most of the ammunitions that Ifeajuna took from the barracks for the coup, he did so with forged clearance in the name of Maimlari

Okafor told his soldiers to search every part of the house and to kill Maimalari if they sight him anywhere. If Maimalari made his way to any barracks, they were all doomed. He could easily round them up and they would face a well predicted fate in his hands…. When they did not find him in the house, they went back in their cars and searched around Thompson Street and glover road in search of Maimalari… when they did not find him… they searched along Bourdillon road…. Really frantic to make sure he did not reach the barracks.

Maimlari was running on the streets in his Pijamas… bare feet, trying to make his way to the federal guards palace…. If any car drove by, he docked into the shrubs or bush….. now a car passed by and he tried to dock… then from where he was hiding, he noticed it was a familiar car…. Of his ADC…. They partied together few hours earlier…… he jumped out from the bush where he was hiding and waved down at him… unaware that he just fell into a trap……

‘Emma… thank God…. Some of your boys have gone crazy… Do you have a knowledge of who they might be and what unit? …
’No sir’ replied Ifeajuna
‘Never mind, just get me to the barracks … I am going to find those bastards in the morning and finish them’

As Maimalari walked towards Ifeajuna’s car… He saw the Prime minister… Tafawa Balewa in the car…. Maimalari froze to his feet… realizing he just walked into a trap…. Ifeajuna told him to say his last prayers… cocked his gun and fired three bullets at the Brigadier…. He fell to the floor and died instantly…. Ifeajuna fired five more shots at him on the floor….

This was the last hours of a man that did no wrong…. In the hands of a man he took like a brother and entrusted his life into…. Ifeajuna... the man who celebrated with him just a few hours earlier…. Murdered him on his wedding day……
The January 1966 coup was not a revolution... like the Obidient movement, it was a sham... the rage in the heart of these savages going around at night across the country in their coordinated selective murders as they pelleted their victims with bullets is all that needed to be observed.

On that same route… Aguyi Ironsi was intercepted and allowed to pass as he made his way to the barracks.
What do you hope to achieve with this child of devil
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 1:15pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Here is the story in which Philip Asiodu who was an active player in the events revealed that Ojukwu confided in him that the plans of him and Ironsi was to abolish the regions within six months of taking over power and really they did.

Note where the report reads:

Emeka Ojukwu and myself were very good friends in school, Kings College, Lagos, and Oxford University. In fact when the coup happened, he wanted me to join him in Enugu and I told him that I was not a regional man. And Ojukwu told me ‘we shall abolish the regions within 6 months’.

Mind you that it was The Sun newspaper owned by an Igbo man that carried the story hence insinuation of propaganda against Igbo by other tribes will not hold water here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sunnewsonline.com/impunity-killing-nigeria-phillip-asiodu/%3famp

Oga you keep dancing everywhere and not making a point. Who now abolished the regions later was it not Gowon. Ironsi kept the regions so what really is your issue? Why must you emotionally blackmail igbos on this same episode every time once it is election? But you want them to forgive and forget, why not also stop recalling that episode for political gains then we will know you are not a hypocrite. Dude go and rest you are sad and frustrated that is all I see here, you are not making any point at all.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 1:18pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:
Look at the hypocrite who started with abusive language is calling on the mods. Hahaha! If you can't take the heat of facts and logical reasoning in a debate you better stop engaging.
You don't win debates by calling people stupid, etc. Any reasonable mod who visits here and reads through the thread will discover that it was you who first used the word 'stupid' on me when you could no longer compete favourably.
Even a very rare honest Igbo man, Philip Asiodu, confessed publicly that Ojukwu confided in him that he and Ironsi's ulterior motive for taking over power illegally was to abolish the regions. I will soon bring up the link. I guess you know Ironsi and Ojukwu better than Philip Asiodu.

See go back and check who started the insults as if it is not you. You called me mad then later dalled me idiot and you are saying I started the insults first.
Anyway what do I expect from a career hypocrite. Now you have shifted to Philip Asiodu, just because you have been boxed in and you cannot force this stale narrative again. Thank God for social media, as all these lies have been exposed. Once again you are a frustrated man, go and do something meaningful with your life and stop spreading tribal hate because one day you will be arrested and made to clarify all these tribalist statements.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 1:23pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Who is preaching reconciliation and forgiveness as regards Igbos? Look at this comedian! What is being preached is that Igbos must apologize to the rest Nigerian ethnicities and tribes for introducing the military rule abberration, being the first to tamper with our we-the-people constitution, introducing bloodshed into an independent Nigeria through the dastardly and stupid January 1966 coup and many other things we suffer today as a result of your fathers' greed and lack political contentment. Anything short of that, it will be almost impossible for a majority of Nigerians to support Igbo presidency. You ask what has been done by the other tribes in the past fifty years about reversing Ironsi's blunder? Where were you when Obasanjo in 1978 made another Igbo man, Professor Nwabueze, the chairman of the committee charged with reviewing the fiscal policy lists in the constitutional conference of that year which would later birth the independence constitution and rather than correct the blunder Ironsi did on his advice twelve years earlier, Nwabueze further transferred an additional 50% of items from both the residual and concurrent lists to the exclusive list thus further entrenching unitary system in search of the same Azikiwe's dubious One-Nigeria only for him to, many years later again begin to mount pressure on Jonathan to convoke a confab to decentralize power and resources? That is the attitude of the average Igbo man for you? What of Obi who kept saying in his campaign that the present constitution has no fault amidst the conspiratorial silence of his fellow Igbo who ironically had been demonizing Buhari for eight years over his refusal to implement the 2014 confab report which proposed a return to the pre-Ironsi era arrangement? Hypocrites!

Now I know you are frustrated person, I will not descend to your level of insults, because it is clear between two of us who the bigot is, and it is clearly you. Your pain is that the igbos are still moving on shoulder high despite a war and being relegated after the war. Shebi you go them to lose the war, they lost everything after the war and got only £20 is that not enough for you? You are so bitter and full of hate that you can't stand the mention of igbos, you are pained that they are not beggars, you say they should apologise, apologise for what? Did I tell Ifeajuna to kill Balewa? Did the igbos reach a consensus to tell Nzeogwu to kill? Again apologies go both ways, then the north should also apologise for the innocents they killed in the programs then it is balanced.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 1:39pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Now I know you are frustrated person, I will not descend to your level of insults, because it is clear between two of us who the bigot is, and it is clearly you. Your pain is that the igbos are still moving on shoulder high despite a war and being relegated after the war. Shebi you go them to lose the war, they lost everything after the war and got only £20 is that not enough for you? You are so bitter and full of hate that you can't stand the mention of igbos, you are pained that they are not beggars, you say they should apologise, apologise for what? Did I tell Ifeajuna to kill Balewa? Did the igbos reach a consensus to tell Nzeogwu to kill? Again apologies go both ways, then the north should also apologise for the innocents they killed in the programs then it is balanced.
How can the North apologize for the killings when you Igbos who provoked them into it by killing their most revered leaders have not apologized first? And who told you those Igbos killed in the North were innocent for recording and publicly dancing to music of Nzeogwu standing on the neck of Ahmadu Bello bleating like a goat?

I can really see that you lots are moving shoulder to shoulder for languishing in Asian jails over drug trafficking and ritual killings. You are so prosperous yet your home region is like a pigsty and you therefore keep running away from it to other region. Funny. This tale of receiving 20 pounds and still rising back to prosperity is pure rubbish because those of us in the Midwest who owned accounts in the bank of Benin City robbed by the retreating Biafran soldiers were not paid back a dime by the Government till today yet Benin City has ever since then grown to become the fourth largest city in Nigeria today ahead of all the cities in the East where the people even received compensation from the government. In fact a lot of you folks ran from the East in droves to come and enjoy free Education in the Bendel State where people were not paid a Kobo for losing their savings to Biafrans like you through Ojukwu's troops looting of our banks. So shove your dirty self glorification tales up your ass.

3 Likes

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 1:41pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

How can the North apologize for the killings when you Igbos who provoked them into it by killing their most revered leaders have not apologized first? And who told you those Igbos killed in the North were innocent for recording and publicly dancing to music of Nzeogwu standing on the neck of Ahmadu Bello bleating like a goat?

I can really see that you lots are moving shoulder to shoulder for languishing in Asian jails over drug trafficking and ritual killings. You are so prosperous yet your home region is like a pigsty and you therefore keep running away from it to other region. Funny. This tale of receiving 20 pounds and still rising back to prosperity is pure rubbish because those of us in the Midwest who owned accounts in the bank of Benin City robbed by the retreating Biafran soldiers were not paid back a dime by the Government till today yet Benin City has ever since then grown to become the fourth largest city in Nigeria today ahead of all the cities in the East where the people even received compensation from the government. In fact a lot of you folks ran from the East in droves to come and enjoy free Education in the Bendel State where people were not paid a Kobo for losing their savings to Biafrans like you through Ojukwu's troops looting of our banks. So shove your dirty self glorification tales up your ass.

Please show me where igbos authorised Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna to kill. And I ask you again doesn't this justify the killing of thousands of innocent people? Guy this comment of yours was what nailed one of the perpetrators of the Rwandan genocide, so be very careful because your identity can easily be revealed and you can arrested. Watch the nonsense you say so that you don't languish in jail
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

See go back and check who started the insults as if it is not you. You called me mad then later dalled me idiot and you are saying I started the insults first.
Anyway what do I expect from a career hypocrite. Now you have shifted to Philip Asiodu, just because you have been boxed in and you cannot force this stale narrative again. Thank God for social media, as all these lies have been exposed. Once again you are a frustrated man, go and do something meaningful with your life and stop spreading tribal hate because one day you will be arrested and made to clarify all these tribalist statements.
Unfortunately for you, you can't reference any post in which I even used mad let alone directed it to you. You shameless liar! Nearly everyone on Nairaland knows that I don't insult first but that whoever insults me first will have a very bad day with my retaliation.

So this is how you dodged addressing Philip Asiodu's revelation? I have put it up there to dismantle your revisionist tales. Thank God he is an Igbo man and the report carried by an Igbo owned newspaper. You were hard hit by the revelation from him hence you had nothing to say other than ranting that I have shifted to Asiodu.

1 Like

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 1:53pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Please show me where igbos authorised Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna to kill. And I ask you again doesn't this justify the killing of thousands of innocent people? Guy this comment of yours was what nailed one of the perpetrators of the Rwandan genocide, so be very careful because your identity can easily be revealed and you can arrested. Watch the nonsense you say so that you don't languish in jail
If you Igbos didn't authorize Nzeogwu and ifeajuna to carry out those mindless and senseless killings of innocent army officers and politicians, then why did those of you resident in the North then jump into the streets in celebration of the coup instead of issuing an official statement distancing yourselves from it and disowning Nzeogwu and ifeajuna? Show me any official statement from Igbo State Union back then condemning Nzeogwu and ifeajuna for the coup and senseless bloodshed. If you Igbos had no conspiracy in the killings, what stopped Ironsi for six good months from simply arraigning those five majors before a military tribunal and sentencing them to death for mutiny and delving into politics against the professional ethics of the military? You fool no one.

Your question as to whether the killing of northern leaders by Nzeogwu and co justify the revenge killings of thousands of Igbo civilians show clearly that you have no knowledge of the philosophy of warfare which is that as long as the person you attacked did not dictate to you the extent of your aggression, then you too have no right to dictate to him the extent to which he may choose to retaliate.
When Osama Bin Laden killed over 3,000 innocent souls through the WTC bombing, did America retaliate by killing exactly 3,000 people in the Afghanistan and Iraq which housed Osama Bin Laden?
When Hamas recently launched an unprovoked attack on Israel and killed over 1000 innocent Israelites, did Israel limit its retaliation to only Hamas members or just 1000 innocent Palestinian civilians?
Likewise you can't expect Northern soldiers to have limited their retaliation back then to what you wish. In war, there are no laws so the question of what is justifiable or unjustifiable does not exist. Were Nzeogwu's and co's cold blooded killings of Ahmadu Bello, Balewa, Mainalari, Okotie Eboh, etc justifiable? These were individuals who a lot of people held in high esteem in their respective home regions and after killing them so brazenly you expected their people to send you thank you cards? Where on earth does that happen?
I lived in the North for ten years and by their culture , if you kill a person they regard as their leader, then you have killed all of them. Nzeogwu was born and raised in the North hence knew that yet still went ahead and killed their overall leader so gruesomely. That means he was just a foolhardy idiot.
No killing of any innocent person (be he even an invalid) by anyone is justifiable. If you kill just one person, you are no less guilty than a person who killed millions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 1:53pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Unfortunately for you, you can't reference any post in which I even used mad let alone directed it to you. You shameless liar! Nearly everyone on Nairaland knows that I don't insult first but that whoever insults me first will have a very bad day with my retaliation.

So this is how you dodged addressing Philip Asiodu's revelation? I have put it up there to dismantle your revisionist tales. Thank God he is an Igbo man and the report carried by an Igbo owned newspaper. You were hard hit by the revelation from him hence you had nothing to say other than ranting that I have shifted to Asiodu.

Oga go back and read our comments you will see where you started this insults. Philip Asiodu's comment mean nothing and it doesn't clarify anything, it just shows how desperate you are and incompetent in making your point. My point is clear and that is what frustrates you.
My guy just an advice to you, let it go, learn from the boys that instigated the Rwandan genocide and how they were dealt with, because what you are doing is similar to what they did and they were either executed or jailed for life.
Go and get a meaningful job and be useful to your family.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 1:57pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

If you Igbos didn't authorize Nzeogwu and ifeajuna to carry out those mindless and senseless killings of innocent army officers and politicians, then why did those of you resident in the North then jump into the streets in celebration of the coup instead of issuing an official statement distancing yourselves from it and disowning Nzeogwu and ifeajuna? Show me any official statement from Igbo State Union back then condemning Nzeogwu and ifeajuna for the coup and senseless bloodshed. If you Igbos had no conspiracy in the killings, what stopped Ironsi for six good months from simply arraigning those five majors before a military tribunal and sentenced to death for mutiny and delving into politics against the professional ethics of the military? You fool no one.

Show us where igbos authorised Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna to kill. This is a very simple task and you are busy trying to form smart.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 2:14pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Show us where igbos authorised Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna to kill. This is a very simple task and you are busy trying to form smart.

Show us ISU's official statement distancing themselves from Nzeogwu and co.

2 Likes

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Show us ISU's official statement distancing themselves from Nzeogwu and co.

I asked you first. Be courageous enough to show us where igbos authorized Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu to kill.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Oga go back and read our comments you will see where you started this insults. Philip Asiodu's comment mean nothing and it doesn't clarify anything, it just shows how desperate you are and incompetent in making your point. My point is clear and that is what frustrates you.
My guy just an advice to you, let it go, learn from the boys that instigated the Rwandan genocide and how they were dealt with, because what you are doing is similar to what they did and they were either executed or jailed for life.
Go and get a meaningful job and be useful to your family.

You are an ignoramus. Have you ever heard the philosophy that: Don't start a fight you cannot finish? Those who instigated and initiated genocide and ethnic cleansing in post independence Nigeria were you Igbos and you were dealt with accordingly. That is all.

2 Likes

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 2:18pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

You are an ignoramus. Have you ever heard the philosophy that: Don't start a fight you cannot finish? Those who instigated and initiated genocide and ethnic cleansing in post independence Nigeria were you Igbos and you were dealt with accordingly. That is all.

Oga do you really know what ethnic cleansing is? Dude you are frustrated because all your replies have been with insults directed at me. You are really desperate and frustrated. Go and get a job and a life, stop being bitter and filled with inferiority complex.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 2:19pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

I asked you first. Be courageous enough to show us where igbos authorized Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu to kill.

Simple common sense. You don't celebrate an evil you didn't authorize or at least sponsored. Igbos in the North celebrated in public the killings of Ahmadu Bello and innocent high ranking Northern and Yoruba officers. What greater evidence do you need that the coup was Igbo in conspiracy and execution?

2 Likes

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 2:20pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Simple common sense. You don't celebrate an evil you didn't authorize or at least sponsored. Igbos in the North celebrated in public the killings of Ahmadu Bello and innocent high ranking Northern and Yoruba officers. What greater evidence do you need that the coup was Igbo in conspiracy and execution?

Oga did they authorise the killings it is very simple, just show us the authorisation statement. You are not smart walahi.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Oga do you really know what ethnic cleansing is? Dude you are frustrated because all your replies have been with insults directed at me. You are really desperate and frustrated. Go and get a job and a life, stop being bitter and filled with inferiority complex.
Check your dictionary and see whether what Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna did was any different from the definition of ethnic cleansing. If it was not ethnic cleansing then why are you labouring so hard to separate the larger Igbo population from it?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by gragz8701: 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

If you Igbos didn't authorize Nzeogwu and ifeajuna to carry out those mindless and senseless killings of innocent army officers and politicians, then why did those of you resident in the North then jump into the streets in celebration of the coup instead of issuing an official statement distancing yourselves from it and disowning Nzeogwu and ifeajuna? Show me any official statement from Igbo State Union back then condemning Nzeogwu and ifeajuna for the coup and senseless bloodshed. If you Igbos had no conspiracy in the killings, what stopped Ironsi for six good months from simply arraigning those five majors before a military tribunal and sentencing them to death for mutiny and delving into politics against the professional ethics of the military? You fool no one.

Your question as to whether the killing of northern leaders by Nzeogwu and co justify the revenge killings of thousands of Igbo civilians show clearly that you have no knowledge of the philosophy of warfare which is that as long as the person you attacked did not dictate to you the extent of your aggression, then you too have no right to dictate to him the extent to which he may choose to retaliate.
When Osama Bin Laden killed over 3,000 innocent souls through the WTC bombing, did America retaliate by killing exactly 3,000 people in the Afghanistan and Iraq which housed Osama Bin Laden?
When Hamas recently launched an unprovoked attack on Israel and killed over 1000 innocent Israelites, did Israel limit its retaliation to only Hamas members or just 1000 innocent Palestinian civilians?
Likewise you can't expect Northern soldiers to have limited their retaliation back then to what you wish. In war, there are no laws so the question of what is justifiable or unjustifiable does not exist. Were Nzeogwu's and co's cold blooded killings of Ahmadu Bello, Balewa, Mainalari, Okotie Eboh, etc justifiable? These were individuals who a lot of people held in high esteem in their respective home regions and after killing them so brazenly you expected their people to send you thank you cards? Where on earth does that happen?
I lived in the North for ten years and by their culture , if you kill a person they regard as their leader, then you have killed all of them. Nzeogwu was born and raised in the North hence knew that yet still went ahead and killed their overall leader so gruesomely. That means he was just a foolhardy idiot.
No killing of any innocent person (be he even an invalid) by anyone is justifiable. If you kill just one person, you are no less guilty than a person who killed millions.

Nice one. You argue with fact and objectivity. You're among the few that know the story very well.

Notice that they are currently all over the Internet rewriting history and mis-educating the young generation to suit their narrative and agenda.

3 Likes

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 2:25pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Oga did they authorise the killings it is very simple, just show us the authorisation statement. You are not smart walahi.

You obviously attended a bush school where you were not taught deductive evidence.

Nzeogwu himself made it clear in his interview with Ejindu that Ifeajuna and the other three majors had an ethnic agenda up their sleeves. I don't expect you to know this because you don't read. Go and read the interview of Nwaobosi granted shortly before he died recently and there you will see the authorization.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 2:25pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Check your dictionary and see whether what Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna did was any different from the definition of ethnic cleansing. If it was not ethnic cleansing then why are you labouring so hard to separate the larger Igbo population from it?

Oga what is ethnic cleansing in the context of 15th January, so which tribe was Arthur Unegbe from because Ifeajuna shot him, so if he is Igbo then there was no ethnic cleansing. Oga I am still waiting for the authorization statement by the igbos for Nzeogwu and ifeajuna to kill. You just entered my trap and nothing you say will ever make sense until you bring the authorisation message given to Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 2:27pm On Dec 09, 2023
gragz8701:

Nice one. You argue with fact and objectivity. You're among the few that know the story very well.

Notice that they are currently all over the Internet rewriting history and mis-educating the young generation to suit their narrative and agenda.

There is no objectivity in the argument so which tribe was Arthur Unegbe from? Because he was also killed in that coup. You guys should give it a rest abeg. After 60 years plus you people are still talking about this. This is sheer stupidity at its best.
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 2:29pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

You obviously attended a bush school where you were not taught deductive evidence.

Nzeogwu himself made it clear in his interview with Ejindu that Ifeajuna and the other three majors had an ethnic agenda up their sleeves.

I don't expect you to know this because you don't read. Go and read the interview of Nwaobosi granted shortly before he died recently and there you will see the authorization.

Ethnic agenda is different from personal agenda, now I want you to tell me if truly it was ethnic agenda where is the authorisation given to Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu to carry out the killings. You are just everywhere and not making any sense
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 2:34pm On Dec 09, 2023
Irony1:

Ethnic agenda is different from personal agenda, now I want you to tell me if truly it was ethnic agenda where is the authorisation given to Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu to carry out the killings. You are just everywhere and not making any sense

If it was not an ethnic agenda, then why didn't Ohaneze issue any statement disowning it? This is basic common sense. Why did Ironsi, a fellow Igbo officer, refuse to court-martial them, but even protected them in Eastern prisons while their salaries were still being paid amidst promotions in rank. You mean Igbos viewed all these as wrong but chose to keep silent? On the contrary, silence is consent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Irony1: 2:37pm On Dec 09, 2023
Deadlytruth:

If it was not an ethnic agenda, then why didn't Ohaneze issue any statement disowning it? This is basic common sense. Why did Ironsi, a fellow Igbo officer, refuse to court-martial them, but even protected them in Eastern prisons while their salaries were still being paid amidst promotions in rank. You mean Igbos viewed all these as wrong but chose to keep silent?

grin grin grin it is so obvious that you have lost it. When was Ohaneze founded? Was it after the civil war or before the civil war? Even saying that Nzeogwu and co were in eastern prisons was a lie. Anuforo was in Benin prisons, so you see where your lie has been busted. I say it again you are so desperate to push the agenda and you are frustrated that it is not working. Oga show me the authorisation given to Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna to kill. This is simple just show us
Re: How Brig. Zakari Maimalari Was Killed By His Chief Of Staff, Ifeajuna (Jan 1966) by Deadlytruth(m): 2:45pm On Dec 09, 2023
gragz8701:

Exactly. They always dance around questions. For good ten years now I have been asking them to explain what Ironsi meant with the bolded lines in his May 29 broadcast but no way! They keep forming new stories around Gowon as if I am asking them to explain Gowon's broadcast.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

El Rufai To Buhari: You Are Old, Expired And Perpetually Unelectable(2010) / Is It Marginalization Or Refusal To Accept The Agony Of Defeat? / Pics Of Baby Born Without Anus & Private Parts At A Hospital In Nnewi Go Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.