Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,382 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Jarus CountryHome - A Journal - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Jarus CountryHome - A Journal (34046 Views)

Construction Journal | Browne Mews By Nexthome / The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by nduchucks: 2:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
Cool. cool
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Gboliwe: 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
christe james: I am marvelled, stuned. Congratulation LAND LORD JARUS!!!
this one don pass landlord, this is land and house lord. Congrats sir
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by FunnyPikincom(m): 3:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
SURAJU OMO OFFAAAAAAA..... grin grin grin grin grin

This is PLATO, We served together in SOKOTO... cool cool
I remember when We used to battle with Mosquitoes at MCAN LODGED In 2007 @ Shehu Gumi Area wink wink wink

OMO...Owere ti de ooooOO, Im soooo Happy For You cheesy cheesy cheesy

Anyway, I still get Landlord Sha sad embarassed embarassed

MAKE GOD ANSWER ME TOO QUICK FAAAA
smiley smiley smiley

3 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by abhosts(m): 3:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
Congrats!
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by bfn1: 3:11pm On Oct 25, 2013
Congrats Jarus. I wish you all the best.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by iamdhebuck(m): 3:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
Very impressed! now this is what I call a MAN..someone who get things done,not some nicompop @ 30 sitting in their moms shop only to 2go from morning to night chasing 14 year old gals or logging in to nairaland and rooting for their favorite thief in government.

2 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
Congrats, Jarus! Good One..smiley

1 Like

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by uhuns: 3:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
I join all to say a big kudos to you.
pls given that we may not have followed from the very start.
could you summarize as follows!
the total cost as at today.
minus the fence! store! BQ.Borehole.
the floor area of the House.
this is to get a per square construction cost.
this can be varied from place to place with minimum changes .e.g

ie it cost 120k per m2 for midium sized 3b/ r flat
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Aarenaija: 3:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
werepeLeri: I am using the services of a building contractor. Are you doing the same or are you buying materials and getting someone to supervise?

We had a B of Q which we follow, so I just give them bulk money and they spend. However, my friends keep telling me that is a waste that I should have just hired masons and buy stuff for them while they build, but I am most times not in the country. Which one is the best option. Beside, I hear the contractors always get 35% of whatever the B o Q is as their profit. True?

And they chase you like they are the one who has the money in the first instance. If I am slow in giving money, they begin to call me asking me for money until i told them off that they should chill.

From experience, never use a building contractor.

There is noting bad using a professional builder.
As in any profession, there are statutory fees for any job done and in the case of the builders,
there is no way a profit of 30% of could be made especially if there is a bill o quantities.

What is most important is to make sure you involve your Architect to supervise the builder and instruct you on when and how mush to pay for every job done based on the bill of quantities. If you decide to go through the other option, you may end up spending more especially if the project is the complex type.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by fatherab1: 3:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
Jarus, U̶̲̥̅̊ are going places.
Big thumb up fø̲̣̣я̅ you.

Please where is Aisha2 ? I miss her and her powerful write-ups on Nairaland so much!
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by thirdeye(m): 3:24pm On Oct 25, 2013
Congrats Jarus
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Aarenaija: 3:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
Jarus:
With this being my first project, I am quite naive on building/personal project, but probably because of my purse, I didn't even consider using a contractor in teh first place. It's my architect supervising it, for a fee, of course. I jsyt send money, say 1m and he will tell me beforehand where he expects that to take the project to, and on exhausting the money, will account for how he spent it, but most times, it doesn't get to where he told me it will get it to, giving all forms of excuses like price increase, introducing new style etc. And with all my Lagos wahala, having time to investigate/verify his calims is the last thing I have on my mind. So I just shakara him that the cost is getting too high and send another.

Please allway do a BoQ.
If the Architect is introducing anything in the course of the project for any reason, it most be with the consent of you the client. Except it will not add any extra to the initial cost.
Generally, if an Architect is supervising your project, you should expect that some changes may occur because he will always be thinking ahead of the owner in terms of what the project will look like at completion.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Aarenaija: 3:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
You have not done badly. I can see the involvement of an Architect truly. Do you know you can spend more than this amount
and you may not have gotten to this level I assure you.
God will give you the grace to complete it on time.

1 Like

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by anonimi: 3:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
Congrats Jarus for the journey so far and sharing the progress all the way.
Why is the shop being built with the house?
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
kalokalo: Oga Jarus, I think you've been fleeced big time!! From the pictures I'm looking, you should not have spent more than 6 million on that house. We've almost completed a 5 bedroom duplex in Akesan area in Lagos and we spent 3.4 from lintel level where it was originally to roofing inclusive of plastering, decking, plumbing, electric wiring, fencing, gate etc. However we bought cement and made our own blocks. What we did was we bought the materials ourselves, hired the labor ourselves and paid a foreman to oversee them. The foreman would tell us what we need, we would go to the market to buy them and store it in a locked shed and release materials as needed. If we include the cost of land, foundation, omo onile fees and building up to lintel level, our expenses to date is just over 9 million.

A caveat though, we did not use aluminium roofing. I forgot the name its called.
As sad as it seems, there s an element of truth in ds, I'm currently handling a 4-bedroom project for my mom, I'm the designer, the supervising architect, the foreman, I even buy what we need myself......the building is located in Ife.....we spent less dan 500k for d foundation and acquisition of land, a 2&half plot, I'm gonna post details at its progresses, such I wud start a thread and update it....make una give me tym.
PS....mom just completed a 3-classroom building, with staff room and office, Aluminium roofing sheet nd carpentry works, total cost isn't up to a million....

1 Like

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Sagamite(m): 4:02pm On Oct 25, 2013
Jarus: Building A House - My Experience

I have decided to open this thread to share my experience on my current project in Kwara, perhaps all of us, both home owners and prospective landlords, can learn one or two things and exchange ideas.

Project: A 3-bedroom flat, plus 2 room+parlour BQs. Later, by God's grace, to build mosque in the compound and shops adjoining the fence.
Location & Purpose: Kwara state; to serve as my countryhome, and follow family tradition of building first house in our village.
Size: 2 1/4 plots.
Initial plan: To do a modest 3 bedroom flat with no more than 2.5 -3m! But I find myself, most times on advice of parent and supervisor(an architect), tinkering with the initial plan many times, including BQs, reshaping  the plan and costs flying up!

In subsequent posts, I will share pictures of the different stages, costs and share key lessons I realized.

My Mr President, eti kowo je ni? (You don chop moni?) grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Milito: 4:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
Congrats! More blessings!
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
Jarus: Not impossible, but doubt I have been significantly fleeced by as much as 2m.

Some things to note.

German floor is said to be used (and that alone cost up to 0.7m)

Aluminium roofing was 650k, plus 300 to do the carpentary, roofing alone comes to almost 1m

There is a BQ at the back, up to lintel level - it's a twin-semi detached mini flat. Almost as big as main building itself.

Of course, the costs of gate and fence, which have been done, are also inclusive. There is a shop and a gatehouse too (though still in progress, next is plastering them).
Congratulations Mr Jarus, e tu ma se eyi to dara ju eleyi lo, amin.....e get ds mud/brick roof wey I price like dt, d estimate we were given for d 4-bedroom design na 900k.....my mama like am buh I no gree o, e b like say na ds aluminium go do am abeg ....Congrats once more .
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by An0nimus: 4:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
Magic Bishop:

Height of Nonsense

and this made front page?

No worry, when I upgrade FROM X5 to X6 I will be sure to open a thread.

Whats so special about this Frontpage that people always fight to preserveundecided. FYI: This thread is more than informative for those that know its worth.

@Jarus You're an inspiration. Will love to know how the Lagos project goes. Remain blessed.

3 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by anonimi: 4:13pm On Oct 25, 2013
jimmy4x:
As sad as it seems, there s an element of truth in ds, I'm currently handling a 4-bedroom project for my mom, I'm the designer, the supervising architect, the foreman, I even buy what we need myself......the building is located in Ife.....we spent less dan 500k for d foundation and acquisition of land, a 2&half plot, I'm gonna post details at its progresses, such I wud start a thread and update it....make una give me tym.
PS....mom just completed a 3-classroom building, with staff room and office, Aluminium roofing sheet nd carpentry works, total cost isn't up to a million....

Nor worry we go give you plenty time but make you no make us wait for too long oh wink

I think the details and finishing of the classroom + staff room & office may be much different from that of a country home by an upwardly mobile Lagos-based guy. Nevertheless Jarus sef don give allowance for the fact that he is not on the ground to supervise the job and buy materials, which will take his time that will probably be cost him much more than the top-up of the professional service he used. The issue is that we do not take a very wide perspective of costs and opportunity lost in our personal decisions.

Generally, life is about trade-offs.
If you are professional accountant, teacher, banker, lawyer and you charge people for your professional service why will you want to use a quack (such as "draughtsman" instead of architect) to do your work or spend your own time to do something that you are not an expert in
You may be better off using that time to further develop your earning potential, which includes QUALITY rest & recreation to recharge one's CREATIVE batteries and make even more money with reduced effort i.e. increased personal productivity.

4 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
Magic Bishop:

Height of Nonsense

and this made front page?

No worry, when I upgrade FROM X5 to X6 I will be sure to open a thread.

bad belle....smh, personally, I love this as an architect, I've learnt a lot here, tnx for starting ds thread, Mr.Jarus....Beautiful house.

1 Like

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ile-Ife:

What does lintel mean? I use to hear that alot while growing up. "Mo ti ko de lintel".
the level immediately above the window, doors, openings generally, it is normally made of concrete, a reinforced one at that.....it's cross section is normally 250 x 250mm....it could varie though.

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 25, 2013
Most boring building thread I have ever seen.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
iamdhebuck: Very impressed! now this is what I call a MAN..someone who get things done,not some nicompop @ 30 sitting in their moms shop only to 2go from morning to night chasing 14 year old gals or logging in to nairaland and rooting for their favorite thief in government.
Lmfaoooo....well said o, God ansa me o, b4 30 make I don build my own house for Ile-Ife
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Orikinla(m): 4:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
[size=18pt]Country home with shops for tenants is no longer a country home, but a mini country shopping mall with country guest house, with mosque and what is left now is Silverbird Cinema.[/size] grin

5 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by zaakyng: 5:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
Get the design and building of your desire and taste,@Jolade Construction Ltd 08120979349
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by MagicBishop: 5:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
jimmy4x:
bad belle....smh, personally, I love this as an architect, I've learnt a lot here, tnx for starting ds thread, Mr.Jarus....Beautiful house.

badbelle wetin?

Jarus and his ilk are building houses from jaundiced posts for APC and the likes of Ribadu?

Wetin dey this im yeye house for backyard ilorin of all places?

If he like he can buy a house on 5th Avenue that one no concern me or anybody.

Useless generation. You wont even know how them dey use una feed
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by misterh(m): 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
Magic Bishop:

badbelle wetin?

Jarus and his ilk are building houses from jaundiced posts for APC and the likes of Ribadu?

Wow... Just wow!

1 Like

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
I actually celebrated my sallah there. Work is still ongoing. It has cost 10m up to date, and it may reach 15m at full completion (twin BQ at the back is not even roofed yet).

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
Magic Bishop:

badbelle wetin?

smh

2 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by quivah(f): 5:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
NL1960: @Jarus. Sorry for my asking. Why would you want to share your country home wir shops?. Will you be able to control the type of people that will rent the shops or those that will patronize what they are selling?. What if somebody rents one of the shops and turn it into a drinking joint?. Hope you know that all sorts of characters come into a drinking joint. To me that is not safe or quiet enough for a house that is a country home.
Jarus:

No, not for rent. Just a small shop for anybody(maybe my retired old woman) to sell soft drink
Jarus: Note the big space still left to the side in the compound. I plan to use that for trees, car port, build a small family mosque, sports side(my house must have Table Tennis - that's my sport!)

^^^^
Orikinla: [size=18pt]Country home with shops for tenants is no longer a country home, but a mini country shopping mall with country guest house, with mosque and what is left now is Silverbird Cinema.[/size] grin
[size=20pt] kapeeesh?[/size]
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
side view...after lighting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Land, Houses For Sale @ Magboro (makógi, mápárá Etc @ Back Of MFM Prayer City) / Wallpaper And 3D Wallpaper (Pictures) / Cost Of Building Twins Flat Of 3 Bedrooms In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.