Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,232 members, 7,836,114 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH (26641 Views)

Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH / ‘My Brother Died In My Arms Due To LUTH's Negligence’, Man Reveals. Photos / Why Foods That Boost Sexual Appetite May Not Work For Virgins - Chefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Godmademan(m): 10:39am On Sep 21, 2023
The statement affirmed that he was on call for 48 hours (13th and 14th September) which is also not appealing. Don't see why they are trying to make it seem so

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Chetas81(m): 10:39am On Sep 21, 2023
Snipespeter:
Debunking as usual. Nigeria is a big joke of a country. Nothing is working.

FTC on top dead man topic and LUTH debunking….
God Abeg oooo
the Nigeria Angel's, refused to make it work, you know we leave intelligence for miracle and magic, the result is here with us
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 21, 2023
If the family comes out to accuse the hospital without having any proof and strong legal backup by their side, they could be setting themselves on a suicide mission because the hospital can sue them for defamation of character.

They will use their powers in high places to make sure that the family don't get the justice they need.

[quote author=IconicR post=125928373][/quote]

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Chetas81(m): 10:44am On Sep 21, 2023
WE KEEP ON SAYING, NO BAD CITIZEN CAN BUILD A GREAT NATION, MANY NIGERIAN CITIZEN SEE THEIR SELF AS ANGEL, WHO DON'T HAVE ANY GOOD CONTRIBUTION TO DEVELOPED NIGERIA, JAPA AND BE SLAVE TO THE COLONIAL MASTERS, THE CONTRIBUTION YOU DO NOT HAVE IN NIGERIA, WON'T BE AVAILABLE AFTER YOU JAPA

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by chocboi78(m): 10:48am On Sep 21, 2023
Well, can’t say if this is damage control or not. Mayb the overtime is synonymous to teaching hospitals because in federal health cares here in Abuja you hardly see a doctor work 48hrs straight up, not even a surgeon.
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by fxexperts: 10:48am On Sep 21, 2023
Snipespeter:

God Abeg oooo
Na because you nor get sense na. that is why you swallow every fake news you hear hook li9ne and sinker. and you always want the lies yopu are told to become true. big jokers.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Discountsempai: 10:50am On Sep 21, 2023
NoToPile:

Seriously?

How do you guys survive that and I was finding it strange seeing a particular doctor around the ward for 24 hours.

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by georgeakins: 10:51am On Sep 21, 2023
Ademola47:
Maybe the 72 hours was exaggeration and media sensation. But he probably worked overtime without adequate welfare provision.

He was on housemanship. He graduated just last year.
Such a person can never be exposed to any serious work in a place like LUTH where you have many experienced doctors

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Discountsempai: 10:54am On Sep 21, 2023
adioolayi:
I know there won't be any official roll call that would have shown any house office will be on call for 48hrs...

But in practical terms, from testimonies of Drs here on Nairaland, these Drs are made to work for Hours..calls back to back non-stop..

It's time for Drs pressure group to stand against this slavery...if any hospital management, departments or units are confident and are certain that they are doing the right thing by making Drs work extra hours...such roll call, time-table should be on black and white. Let them type and print it.

If not, Drs should not do beyond anything that is not officially written in black and white.

The elephant in the room is that we do not have enough medics in this country...and not just doctors, Nurses, pharmacists, etc. Even CHEW's

It's even worse in the rural areas. God help you if you are a medical cadre working out in the rural area, especially if you are a doctor.

4 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by tremilatre(m): 11:13am On Sep 21, 2023
TONYE001:

I just graduated from medical school, I'm currently awaiting my HJ posting. I've read a whole lot about HJ and the stressful work conditions; I wonder why nothing substantial has been done to improve the condition of Nigerian intern doctors, especially those in teaching hospitals.

If one isn't careful, rather than learning case management, one may spend an entire year running errands, chasing samples and results, and doing every other stuff but learning the rudiments of the practice.

Congrats on your induction, I hope you have a fruitful career. Housejob is traditionally a period where you experience practical aspects of all you have been taught in med school. In the Nigerian system, no one really expects you to do much studying, only practical learning and doing all the hardwork for your team. Some who plan to take their board exams asap try to squeeze out time to read buy tbh, it takes a whole lot of discipline otherwise most leave it till NYSC.

4 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by tremilatre(m): 11:15am On Sep 21, 2023
NoToPile:

Seriously?

How do you guys survive that and I was finding it strange seeing a particular doctor around the ward for 24 hours.
Yeah, its peculiar to some surgical rotations. Other rotations typically start on-call from 4pm. Surgery has only been for the 'brave', even abroad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Gee64: 11:23am On Sep 21, 2023
Na im time reach.
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by MajESTHY(f): 11:25am On Sep 21, 2023
[b]g[b]
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Fearyourcreator: 11:25am On Sep 21, 2023
HopeSpencer:

Those who wants the country to collapse or vent their election loss grief on us are always looking for one fake news or the other to clutch on.

A celebrated drugie signed another drugie into his music label. I remember those days when able-bodied men were wearing shirts with MARLIANS inscription around like some sort of trophy. This same set of people have been foaming in the mouth that a drugie can't be their president.

The nuisances called the youths in this country tire me.

Smiles....
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Fearyourcreator: 11:26am On Sep 21, 2023
HopeSpencer:

Those who wants the country to collapse or vent their election loss grief on us are always looking for one fake news or the other to clutch on.

A celebrated drugie signed another drugie into his music label. I remember those days when able-bodied men were wearing shirts with MARLIANS inscription around like some sort of trophy. This same set of people have been foaming in the mouth that a drugie can't be their president.

The nuisances called the youths in this country tire me.

Smiles.....
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Advocate1810(m): 11:34am On Sep 21, 2023
References:

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2023/09/21/late-luth-doctor-michael-umoh-did-not-work-for-72-hours-management/?amp=1

Sensible and reasonable person will know it can’t be possible to work for such a longer hours. Was he a machine?
Source: OAU College of Health Sciences

Previous Thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/7846961/dr-umoh-michael-dies-after
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Advocate1810(m): 11:36am On Sep 21, 2023
Snipespeter:

God Abeg oooo

How is it possible for someone to work for such a longer hours? Was a machine
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by thesicilian: 11:38am On Sep 21, 2023
Originalsly:

He said most likely... meaning he is not sure ... not a firm conclusion.

The term most likely means that of all the options available, this is the one with the highest probability of occuring. It is as close to a 100% as it can get. And considering the fact that some of its synonyms include "doubtlessly", "no doubt", "in all probability", etc, I wonder why anyone will use the term when there is absolutely no mention of the doctor taking any vaccine. There is a world of difference between "most likely" and "probably" which I believe is a better fit for the case at hand.

Just because we use it the wrong way most of the time doesn't mean it should become the norm.
But then again I don't expect you to understand, judging from antecedents. I am only stating this for the benefit of others who might be interested in knowing the difference.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by TONYE001(m): 11:40am On Sep 21, 2023
tremilatre:

Congrats on your induction, I hope you have a fruitful career. Housejob is traditionally a period where you experience practical aspects of all you have been taught in med school. In the Nigerian system, no one really expects you to do much studying, only practical learning and doing all the hardwork for your team. Some who plan to take their board exams asap try to squeeze out time to read buy tbh, it takes a whole lot of discipline otherwise most leave it till NYSC.

True that, and thank you very much, sir; I do appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by logicalhumour: 11:43am On Sep 21, 2023
Don't trust teaching Hospitals. House doctors go through at least 72h "shift" at least on the normal
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by undisputedKOC: 11:44am On Sep 21, 2023
Why do Igbos love telling lies so much and spreading fake news on social media - why? Igbos lie too much. They fabricated the fake lies that this doctor workted for 72hrs consecutively.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by lexy2014: 11:49am On Sep 21, 2023
References:

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2023/09/21/late-luth-doctor-michael-umoh-did-not-work-for-72-hours-management/?amp=1

Source: OAU College of Health Sciences

Previous Thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/7846961/dr-umoh-michael-dies-after

“The parents gave the details of what they thought must have contributed to his death but pleaded that the wish of the family be respected and that the narrative is not for public consumption,” it said.

I thought it supposed to be the hospital carrying out post mortem to help the family know why their son died?

But instead it's the family telling the hospital why their son died
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by seborrhic: 11:50am On Sep 21, 2023
ednut1:
Fake news should be a crime liable to 5 years imprisonment. There is no way someone will do 72 hours and still go to church
5 years jail term!That's a laugh.Minimum should be 10 with hefty fines proportionate to the damage done.
You probably don't know the impact fake news has on lives and livelihoods.
Fake news destroys and kills more than oppression,victimisation or even some physical abuse.
When I see or read people casting aspersions or calling authorities or individuals liars and cover -ups when they give facts to debunk fake news,I just shake my head in pity because I realise these are people that have not run an organisation or been in positions before where one single fake news can destroy careers,lead to closure of companies or even suicidal thoughts and actions when individual lives,livelihood or career are impacted.
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by DeAnMDD: 11:51am On Sep 21, 2023
Ok so he was on call on for two consecutive days (13th and 14th) which is 48 hours already. This is in addition to the 8am-4pm regular shift on the 15th as 15th was a workday. Total hours = 56hours.

Make Una clap for unaselves
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Gajagojo: 11:53am On Sep 21, 2023
christejames:
We were not expecting you guys to own up to that in the first place undecided

No be the same country Places of Primary Assignments (PPA) of corpers the always like to overuse them, talk more of the one wey the work for public places undecided

If not that this country is skewed already, a proper probe should be carried out to unravel the mystery sorounding the young man's death angry

What a CORNtree 🌽
There are two sides to every story

In this situation what is being discussed is facts . Either they are telling the truth or they are not
They have given their side. If you don't have any counter evidence it is better you keep quiet and stop sentimental ranting.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Gajagojo: 11:58am On Sep 21, 2023
The simple truth is that doctors are trained to be responsible for their actions. They are unionized at LUTH and it is very unlikely he would work 72 hours non stop against his will

If he knows he is not fit for work he should know what to do.
Working for 72 hours as a doctor is unlikely to kill anyone especially a young person at House Officer level unless they have underlying medical problems. The way his death was reported suggested that he may have had some other underlying issue
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Gajagojo: 12:00pm On Sep 21, 2023
seborrhic:

5 years jail term!That's a laugh.Minimum should be 10 with hefty fines proportionate to the damage done.
You probably don't know the impact fake news has on lives and livelihoods.
Fake news destroys and kills more than oppression,victimisation or even some physical abuse.
When I see or read people casting aspersions or calling authorities or individuals liars and cover -ups when they give facts to debunk fake news,I just shake my head in pity because I realise these are people that have not run an organisation or been in positions before where one single fake news can destroy careers,lead to closure of companies or even suicidal thoughts and actions when individual lives,livelihood or career are impacted.
Which kain yeye talk be dis? The minimum punishment for a man should be castration and for a woman her tongue should be removed
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by FashionCookie(f): 12:05pm On Sep 21, 2023
After the family beg una say the news no be "for public consumption," amebo pple still carry am come Nairaland. SMH undecided
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Gajagojo: 12:06pm On Sep 21, 2023
lexy2014:

I thought it supposed to be the hospital carrying out post mortem to help the family know why their son died?

But instead it's the family telling the hospital why their son died

Employer will just carry body and do autopsy?

I don't know why you said you thought

You did not think

or even comprehend the story
You just reacted like expired chemicals
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by seborrhic: 12:08pm On Sep 21, 2023
Gajagojo:
The simple truth is that doctors are trained to be way his death was reported suggested that he may have had some other underlying issue
The family even insinuated as much and Luth subtly added it to further underscore the point when in its press release,it said the family hinted at what may have caused his death,but pleaded it should not be for public consumption.
Read the Luth management release again.
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Alwaysachick: 12:09pm On Sep 21, 2023
Doctors are overwhelmed with work. It's more than the job, they do it because they regard human life. Too many patients with few doctors, most have and still relocating. It's well with the common man in Nigeria

My experience in the hospital during childbirth made me regard medical practitioners. Despite their fraustrations, they still work.

God bless them and Rip to the dead, may his soul find eternal rest.
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH by Gajagojo: 12:09pm On Sep 21, 2023
seborrhic:

The family even insinuated as much and Luth subtly added it to further underscore the point when in its press release,it said the family hinted at what may have caused his death,but pleaded it should not be for public consumption.
Read the Luth management release again.
Why should I read it again
What makes you think your reading is better than mine or that only you can read and comprehend?
Are you autistic?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Doctors Trained For Free In Nigeria To Serve For 9 Years Before Leaving - Ngige / Kissing May Cause Sexually Transmitted Diseases - The Lancet / DELSU Graduate Who Went Mentally Deranged Is Now Back On His Feet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.