Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,193 members, 7,835,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me (44551 Views)

I Do Not Want To Japa But What Business Can I Start With 4 Million Naira. / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Theunbothered: 10:22pm On Oct 07, 2023
maasoap:

You know you are just being childish, all your rants doesn't affect anyone

It's pricking your conscience, you know you made a bad move that's why having to live with the consequences of your actions gets you angry. cheesy

The UK, Canada and others you want to run to will never vote someone like Tinubu but you want to enjoy good governance you deprive others of at home.

You will live a long, miserable life in Tinubu's Nigeria, die here and be buried here! cheesy
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Lungdick: 10:24pm On Oct 07, 2023
odinga1of:

Bros can Nigeria apply for DV lottery 2024?
nigerians are prohibited
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Yoighaman(m): 11:18pm On Oct 07, 2023
TruthDefender:
@OP , the reason your friend is seemingly 'discouraging' you is because of the difficulty of you acquiring LEGAL Residency papers aka Green Card upon arrival in the US.

Without green card, all these 'illusionary' plans about career and wealth is gone.

He knows you want to come on a visit visa. How will you acquire green card upon arrival. 99% of Nigerians that go to USA and overstay their visit visa end up marrying for papers.

That process is fraught with uncertainty and danger. Let's say you are 45 years 0r 48. And you move to USA on visit visa and do arranged marriage to get papers ( because i assume you are married with kids in Nigeria), green card process can take anywhere from 5 / 10 years or more if you are unlucky or your case develops K-leg along the way.

Only after green card, would you even have the opportunity to further your education, then get that magical good job that people in Nigeria assume you get once you land in America. How old would you be then ? 55yrs?

Or if you migrate with your family, how would you get the green card. By asylum? Definitely impossible for a regular Nigerian unless you are under Nigerian govt persecution. Which if you were, your names would be on Nigerian newspapers.

Now, you see why your friend is giving you such advise to think am well ooo.

Nice post. šŸ‘šŸ½

Your posts reeks of experience.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Papilagreen: 12:47am On Oct 08, 2023
Let me add small thing based on my own experience and knowledge as person living here in America.

First your friend might be very very correct just FYI.

see I will not advice anybody not to come to America. But... if you coming here to hustle if u from 40 and below then try ur luck even 49 is too much 35 because to settle here go take u 5 to 6 years if things goes ur way.

If you above 40 then na holidays and vacation or business trips I go advice u to come do for America. I won't even advice anybody to buy properties here if you finally start making some changes to save for future investments.

America no easy as u dey see am most of all if u are a married man with wife and kids back home my advice is just forget it.

Before u go settle down e no easy see to get ur residency self no be beans u go fight for am like say na ur life.
If u think say under table jobs go help you na sorry for u. It will help for only paying your feeding and accomodations u no go fit save pim because na peanuts dem go dey pay u.

I no sy make my guy no try but make him consider him age and health factor first because this America dem dey sick anyhow u no get insurance na die for u.
America sweet only when u come in ur early 20s ND 30s u go fit plan ur self if not e no easy at all like u dey see am. Una go dey see the money na so the money go dey go.
See it takes two members of a household i.e father and mother to be working before you fit dey save small change for ur bank if not na lie because things are cost way cost now due to inflation watin I dey buy $10 around 2021, present today it cost about $22 which is twice the amount and it goes for everything u want to buy in America.

My final judgement is this. If the man is above 40 and he will put himself in debt to relocate to America i.e, borrow from friend family or bank or even sell property then it's not worth it because that man no go get peace all the days him go work work work and nothing much to show for it just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BigIyanga: 1:25am On Oct 08, 2023
yusman14:
A lot of Nigerians are rich too. For the past 7 months that I have been in Lekki, I noticed almost everybody is rich. The kind of testimonies I do hear in the church I attend here ehn..something like ; I just established a 200 million naira start up and everybody sees it as normal thing. Depending on your environment, Nigerians are rich too.
Keep living in a fantasy island.. Lekki population is less than 20 of Lagos population .. less than 3milllion. Naija population is 220m.. so lagos only accounts for 8% of Naija population. So your feelings and observations dont represent realities on ground.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by SirLakes: 1:55am On Oct 08, 2023
maasoap:

You know you are just being childish, all your rants doesn't affect anyone

You want to go and enjoy good life when you use your stupidity to put others in hardship....ko le werk

The same you who supported Buhari for 8 years, and still went ahead to vote the same government or party who didn't fulfil most of their promises

You are not just childish but stupid grin
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by maasoap(m): 7:34am On Oct 08, 2023
SirLakes:

You want to go and enjoy good life when you use your stupidity to put others in hardship....ko le werk

The same you who supported Buhari for 8 years, and still went ahead to vote the same government or party who didn't fulfil most of their promises

You are not just childish but stupid grin

I'm just saying, your rants here doesnā€™t affect anyone in the real world out there.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by SirLakes: 7:55am On Oct 08, 2023
maasoap:

I'm just saying, your rants here doesnā€™t affect anyone in the real world out there.

Yeah, no wonder you are interested in my mention.... grin
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Fearyourcreator: 8:00am On Oct 08, 2023
UnfairLife7:
Only the man savings for one year go build better mansion for better location. House wey you no fit get till you diešŸ˜‚

Just a year savings o. I believe before December Ā£Ā£Ā£ go don reach 2k

I am happy and so proud seeing Nigerians making exploit to better their lives and family
You no wan make exploit too... werey no get money... the day any Japa get money pass Dangote let me know . Or any black American get money pass Dangote let me know
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Fearyourcreator: 8:01am On Oct 08, 2023
UnfairLife7:
Old poor man wey never see road to airport at his old age šŸ˜‚

Na your mate be OP considering to give himself and kids a better life while you're in Agege serving emilokan. After you die your children will serve their children toošŸ˜‚

Agba okangbon looto
You are a slave like I said ... you know nothing
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by yusman14(m): 8:42am On Oct 08, 2023
UnfairLife7:
which your alot of Nigerians are rich too? Are you sure you're educated at all so? Even my old pop man wouldn't make this your statement claiming alot of Nigerians are rich šŸ¤£

Does lekki represent the whole Nigeria?
Have you been to the 19 Northern region?
Less than 5% of Nigerians has up to 500k in their bank account if you don't know. There was a report that came out regarding that last year. Also considering your emilokan government has brought hardship into the country
Less than 5%
Wow..it is well
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Raymondknows: 11:32am On Oct 08, 2023
They are very bad people my brother, that is why I keep saying that Nigeria will never get better, you see any opportunity, just Japa immediately
cliper230:
Since 40yrs plus man like could not reason above his religion make he de nigeria experience waitin he support. Look am well now he still de support tinubu on forge certificate.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

You no wan make exploit too... werey no get money... the day any Japa get money pass Dangote let me know . Or any black American get money pass Dangote let me know
Olodo

They will buy your entire poor generation. Poor Agege man šŸ˜‚
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Fearyourcreator: 1:58pm On Oct 08, 2023
UnfairLife7:
Olodo

They will buy your entire poor generation. Poor Agege man šŸ˜‚
How many of your Japa get money buy land for agege... dem no dey pack money for ground for Yankee ... werey... you no get family carry you there ...olofo ... ashiere Omo... elebi claiming him papa is doing well online ... who dey pin you down not to travel... werey no get money... people wey dey live for sane agege dey travel... your werey no get money
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 2:33pm On Oct 08, 2023
BigIyanga:

Pikin wey dey im mama shop think say profit dey kill am.
For $5k a month .. that is $125/hr for 40hrs or $62.5hr for 80hrs .. without degree/certificate/skillsā€¦?

For $6k a month that is $150/hr for 40hrs or $75hr for 80hrs or $50hr for 120hrsā€¦ without any degree/certificate skill?

Let the pikin still dey lie to his peers that his mama dey swim in profit

Leave that man alone, heā€™s capping too much! These people would not give an intending traveling the true picture to help them better informed, but instead they choose to sell the super rosy story thatā€™s not true.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 2:36pm On Oct 08, 2023
UnfairLife7:
bro please this caregivers job is it available in all states in US? Is it only through Agent one can get it?

Working as a care giver without paper can be very rough and the opportunity may not be available in every state. And please donā€™t count on the fact that you can save 40k a year ā€œcomfortablyā€ but yes you can make enough to take care of yourself and save if you work long hours.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2023
ehikwe22:

America is a third world country with a large market/economy and army. Check any HDI or any index of development and tell me where America is found. European countries, Japan, Singapore, Canada and Australia are the most developed countries in the world. Y'all are too ignorant in this part of the world

We can argue this forever, and it is disrespectful to call America a 3rd world country lol yet is has big economy and big armyā€¦ thatā€™s a combo of confusing there ..

Fun fact for you; going to live and work in America is the dream of many people in those so called ā€œdevelopedā€ countries that you listed above lmao šŸ˜‚
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 2:41pm On Oct 08, 2023
kurlz:

There is oil on your head

Plenty oil o šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Let him keep deceiving some people on this thread lol
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 2:48pm On Oct 08, 2023
BigIyanga:

Without a degree or technical certificate.. which job can pay $5k-6k/mon=$60k-$72k/yr?

Yes someone with their work authorization could make that as a care giver but they will not have a life! And no rest for the wicked. It means the live, breathe, sleep and live all their live at work. It is not sustainable!!! That guy is making it seem like itā€™s a piece of cake or a normal income to make as care giver. Making that money means working Mon-Sun working like 12-14hrs every single day! Thatā€™s not a life! It will tell for your body, your health will deteriorate from the stress.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

How many of your Japa get money buy land for agege... dem no dey pack money for ground for Yankee ... werey... you no get family carry you there ...olofo ... ashiere Omo... elebi claiming him papa is doing well online ... who dey pin you down not to travel... werey no get money... people wey dey live for sane agege dey travel... your werey no get money
Come Apapa come see correct house owned by my father. Yet, i no dey claim say he gets money. Na poor people area you dey live. You be poor old man wey don useless his youthful age following politicians. You can never eat your cake and have it. Your children and grandchildren will also serve their children.

Olodo na poor Agege man you be. See your mate looking for better life for himself and family. But you are here asslicking your emilokanšŸ˜‚ a known drug lord, cocaine sniffer, money laundering, and certificate forgery with no heritage
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Fearyourcreator: 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2023
UnfairLife7:
Come Apapa come see correct house owned by my father. Yet, i no dey claim say he gets money. Na poor people area you dey live. You be poor old man wey don useless his youthful age following politicians. You can never eat your cake and have it. Your children and grandchildren will also serve their children.

Olodo na poor Agege man you be. See your mate looking for better life for himself and family. But you are here asslicking your emilokanšŸ˜‚ a known drug lord, cocaine sniffer, money laundering, and certificate forgery with no heritage
Lolzzzz... ontop nairaland your papa get house for Apapa grin... you get prove?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 4:08pm On Oct 08, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

Lolzzzz... ontop nairaland your papa get house for Apapa grin... you get prove?
old cargo make we meet for public na. Poor man i go carry you go see house. My father owned 3 houses to his name. 2 in lag and 1 in his village. Make we meet for Festac, mile 2, Oshodi, Wilmer or a better open place. Make you con go see house.

Your papa no fit rent a standard flat for Apapa. You wan diešŸ˜‚

You're a miserable old man who's always sad at people's success. Enemy of progress. Miserable man. You want everybody to be like you. When Tinubu finish support the next president again. When you kpai your useless children go continue from where their poor Agege father stopped
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BigIyanga: 4:26pm On Oct 08, 2023
sunboy:

Yes someone with their work authorization could make that as a care giver but they will not have a life! And no rest for the wicked. It means the live, breathe, sleep and live all their live at work. It is not sustainable!!! That guy is making it seem like itā€™s a piece of cake or a normal income to make as care giver. Making that money means working Mon-Sun working like 12-14hrs every single day! Thatā€™s not a life! It will tell for your body, your health will deteriorate from the stress.
So 12-14hrs a day = 84hrs-98hrs a week. $6k/84hr =$71/hr. ā€¦ $6kmon/98hrs= $61/hr. How many CNA/LPNs make $61-$71hr not to talk of someone witjout degree/certificate?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 4:39pm On Oct 08, 2023
BigIyanga:

So 12-14hrs a day = 84hrs-98hrs a week. $6k/84hr =$71/hr. ā€¦ $6kmon/98hrs= $61/hr. How many CNA/LPNs make $61-$71hr not to talk of someone witjout degree/certificate?

CNA only make 17-21 max.
Anything above 8hrs is OT.

Your math is not mathing though ā€¦ but they do make upto 70k with plenty restlessness and slave life living.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BigIyanga: 6:14pm On Oct 08, 2023
sunboy:

CNA only make 17-21 max.
Anything above 8hrs is OT.

Your math is not mathing though ā€¦ but they do make upto 70k with plenty restlessness and slave life living.

1: Your math is way off.. CNAs make only 17-21 in what city and state?
2: How can someone make 6-8k without degree/certificate?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Originalsly: 6:39pm On Oct 08, 2023
wwwkaycom:

He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate.

He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances.

I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria.

Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age?

56 year old man migrated to Canada and is doing well ... based on how his family is doing in Nigeria. Wasn't Hushpuppi doing well in Dubai?... why should anyone discourage anyone from going to Dubai?

Did the 56 year old enter with permanent resident papers? ... authorized to work? ... did he enter with a marketable skill?... and experience?... did he enter with more than enough finances? The japararian is seeing he can achieve the same..... never mind he doesn't have any of the tools. We overlook all of this .... just focus at where he got to but not how he got there.

Some people just need to travel and discover the "discouragement " is real .... then they would be looking for help ... and when they don't get it ... be condemning their countrymen and the Black race for turning their backs on their own.

Advice is for free .... up to you to take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 6:51pm On Oct 08, 2023
BigIyanga:

1: Your math is way off.. CNAs make only 17-21 in what city and state?
2: How can someone make 6-8k without degree/certificate?

1. See screenshots of job posted about CNA on indeed. Also note, full time for most care jobs are not 12hrs/4daysā€¦ then over time. Instead of 8hrs/5 days.

Also, all those jobs are for somebody with papers, not an under the table job. That man is talking about an under the table job making 70k is a BIG LIE! If he like make he work 24hrs he wonā€™t make it with no work auth.

2. CNA by itself is a ceritificate.

Like I said before 70k (gross) is doable but they will suffer to make it and not have a life. Iā€™m just against that man making it seem like itā€™s easy to make.

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BigIyanga: 8:52pm On Oct 08, 2023
sunboy:

1. See screenshots of job posted about CNA on indeed. Also note, full time for most care jobs are not 12hrs/4daysā€¦ then over time. Instead of 8hrs/5 days.

Also, all those jobs are for somebody with papers, not an under the table job. That man is talking about an under the table job making 70k is a BIG LIE! If he like make he work 24hrs he wonā€™t make it with no work auth.

2. CNA by itself is a ceritificate.

Like I said before 70k (gross) is doable but they will suffer to make it and not have a life. Iā€™m just against that man making it seem like itā€™s easy to make.

Tankio, we are on the same page! Some folks like to exaggerate in order to impress folks in Naija
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 9:02pm On Oct 08, 2023
BigIyanga:

Tankio, we are on the same page! Some folks like to exaggerate in order to impress folks in Naija

Exactly! I dislike people misleading our Naija people in the name of impressing them. Instead, tell them how it is, let them be better informed and have the true expectations of things.

Not come, once you land everything will be handed to you šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by quickly: 3:48am On Oct 09, 2023
VULCAN:
A fork lift driver in US after taxes earns far more than a Professor in Nigeria.

It takes less than 3 months to master driving forklift.

There are more than 30 skills that he can choose from and learn in six months.

Is it that you are blind to the opportunities or you are just pretending not to see them?

There is plenty than a fit man of 50 abroad can do that an unfit man of 30 cannot do.

Talking like someone who never travel before

A fork lift driver is a lower class or poverty level job in the US.

I can tell you for a fact they will never hire a Nigerian man to drive fork lift in America.

If you donā€™t know that America has a class system.

Those kind of jobs are controlled by the uneducated white people and itā€™s paid hourly.

They will not give you 40 hours.

An educated Nigerian professor can never do that job because he will be so depressed and the money sef is nothing to right home about

The money you get from that job you will struggle to pay house rent

US is not UK if you donā€™t have nursing qualifications you canā€™t do care work.

To enjoy North America you have to be educated per their standards and have luck
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Horllar1990(m): 1:53pm On Oct 09, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

All of us wan go USA.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Love800(m): 12:46pm On Oct 10, 2023
Hw can dis be possible?
Kevineleven:
A Skill is very important, I suggest starting an African or Nigerian restaurant.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

How Young Nigerians Are Investing To Leave The Country / New Pedestrian Bridge Along The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos / Soludo Gives Okpoko-onitsha Slum A Face Lift After Many Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.