Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me (44449 Views)

I Do Not Want To Japa But What Business Can I Start With 4 Million Naira. / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by adecz: 8:31am On Oct 07, 2023
If information is right, don't you need
at least, up to N5million for a single
person to Japaโ“

It's not as if you'll just pack your bags
and fly off by Edo Airways.

Unless you are privileged to get a really
good paying job, surviving in the US isn't
as easy as people think, and coupled
with your lack of the type of skills that are
in demand now.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 8:32am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

You probably watch too much American movie lol to think a 50yrs old man with no high demand job experience and no papers would settle and build his retirement in 5-7yrs.

Stop deceiving people my friend ๐Ÿ˜‚ itโ€™s not that rosy on the other side ๐Ÿ˜

Zero skilled jobs making how much ? Naira equivalent ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ but you pay bills in USD abi you don forget ? lol, you people play too much.

14 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by bolabadmus38: 8:34am On Oct 07, 2023
He's not a good friend,take it or leave it. There are some enemies of progress but you innocently think are freinds. I have a friend who was 55years that travelled to US with school certificate last three years. For me, don't discuss your plans with him again. Some guys are like that. Believe you can achieve anything without anyone except God .

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Holluwhakemmy(f): 8:34am On Oct 07, 2023
Your friend is your enemy of progress stop seeking his opinion anymore

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by milescollins: 8:35am On Oct 07, 2023
I currently live in Accra, Ghana. Iโ€™ve lived here for three years and a few months and I have my own house, a car for myself and I feed a lot of folks, those that I know and those that I donโ€™t.
Now let me tell you how I got here; it was a friend who recommended that I come over here. He gave me an opportunity that he didnโ€™t take and thatโ€™s called true friendship. Your friend who lives in the States for more than a decade is telling you stories and you still want an advice, thatโ€™s pathetic.
A friend will try to help you, give you what you need to get up and not discourage you.
Always make your plans without consulting a friend, na person wey sabi person dey kill am. Take this from me.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by InvertedHammer: 8:35am On Oct 07, 2023
/
Japa is a personal decision. No advice necessary. It will either end well or badly. Life abroad is difficult but it is nothing compared to the level of life uncertainties and hardship in Nigeria.

If he japa at 50, he will have the opportunity to live the rest of his life as a human being for once instead of just existing as a body in Nigeria. cool

There is no such thing as zero skills. When he settles in, he can work as a delivery driver, security guard, Uber or Lyft driver, warehouse loader, nurses aides, etc. Many way older than him are doing it and surviving. With few months of training, he can be a truck/trailer driver. The good news is that there are many options and opportunities if he is willing to put in the works.

Warning: Don't sell assets in Nigeria to japa cool
/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Kevineleven(m): 8:36am On Oct 07, 2023
A Skill is very important, I suggest starting an African or Nigerian restaurant.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Raalsalghul: 8:36am On Oct 07, 2023
I don't support your friend telling you not to Japa.

He should tell you the hard-core facts involved with emigration and then allow you to make the decision.

Simple!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by maestroferddi: 8:36am On Oct 07, 2023
Offpointng:

Worse enemy? How?? what are you japaing for Abroad without having a skill??

Or dem tell you doing menial jobs like cleaner is enough to get you a bed space and cover ur whole monthly bills?? It's irritating how y'all hate to hear the truth. Disgusting lots sad
Oga stop spreading dangerous negativity...

Every human endeavour comes with a degree of risk.

Stop sounding as if you know what you are talking about...

What do you understand by skill?

More than 80% of Nigerians who go abroad arrive there with zero skills if we are going to go with a strict interpretation of the term...

Keep your defeatist pessimism to yourself abeg...

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Tazdan: 8:36am On Oct 07, 2023
sunboy:

You probably watch too much American movie lol to think a 50yrs old man with no high demand job experience and no papers would settle and build his retirement in 5-7yrs.

Stop deceiving people my friend ๐Ÿ˜‚ itโ€™s not that rosy on the other side ๐Ÿ˜

Zero skilled jobs making how much ? Naira equivalent ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ but you pay bills in USD abi you don forget ? lol, you people play too much.
The worstest America is better than the best Nigeria.

You guys should stop with this rubbish. In America jobs are readily available to do for one to pay and sort bills.

In Nigeria, you graduate after studying for years but there are no jobs, you are home depressed with no means of income.

Tell me what can be more harder and depressing than that? Well it is only a foolish Nigerian that can be discouraged by online noise.

I can never be. America or nothing!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by shiki(m): 8:36am On Oct 07, 2023
He should find way to travel on his own, maybe his friend is not doing well over there
Beremx:
That your friend is your worst enemy. You can still travel without him helping you. Get plan B
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Alliswell248: 8:38am On Oct 07, 2023
Can you forge what you have? No.
Let's the noisemakers keep deceiving themselves....
Sore losers....

Educating the headless mob is a complete waste of time.

Enjoy your wailing.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Movingname1: 8:38am On Oct 07, 2023
If there is a chance you can be a director in the next 7 years then donโ€™t leave .

Your friend is giving you the best advice .
The best time to japa is in your twenties .Thirties you might cope but forties you will definitely struggle .

I see them a lot at work .Africans who japaed in their fifties and they almost always regret it .It takes at least 7 years to settle and get your stay .
In that time you will be doing all the menial jobs on earth as a lonely single man.Think carefully!

Only japa in your forties /fifties if Nigeria has absolutely nothing to offer you or you have a firm offer of a job.[/b]

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 8:38am On Oct 07, 2023
ehikwe22:

You sound like a man that's never left his village. I live in Europe and I can tell you what Nigerians are facing here. You'll face depression for several years unless you were brought in by a close family member that's a citizen with good jobs and established. It's worth the trouble but many people don't want their person to pass through all that
Uncle why don't you come back home since Nigerians are suffering in Europe while Nigerians are enjoying in Nigeria ๐Ÿ˜‚

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by nkemjacob2(m): 8:38am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.
u earn 180k I am earning 35k bro which kind advice u wan give me na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by biggz82: 8:38am On Oct 07, 2023
That friend is not a friend
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Neddstark: 8:38am On Oct 07, 2023
The only japa i don't like is japa to uk
Japa to USA, Canada or Aussie is bae ๐Ÿ˜˜

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Ms202310: 8:38am On Oct 07, 2023
You want to leave a job with pension to go and wash dishes

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by NaijaCover(m): 8:39am On Oct 07, 2023
No where, Is Really Safe
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by soccerlite: 8:39am On Oct 07, 2023
Lolzzzzz ๐Ÿคฃ

Your friend indeed

Traveling is even a good experience to have, that's when you will confirm that Nigerians are living the lowest ebb of existence

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by vikstandon(m): 8:39am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

If his advice is not to, at all times, without a mention of how you can make up for your deficiency.
Like telling you to seek appreciation of a particular skill or craft in need overseas. He is not a friend.

Keep him away. He sees no good in you.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Weknowbetter: 8:40am On Oct 07, 2023
The one in Texas does not want to be the one responsible for a 50 year old skill less man. The man is not ready

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Kevineleven(m): 8:41am On Oct 07, 2023
Beremx:
must you have a Skil to travel abroad? Go and sit down my friend! Many have travelled without skills and they have made it. Stop discouraging your fellow Nigerians from traveling. No be only una need better life.
Nonsense
Most of them made it through criminal activities, not all though.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by jrusky(m): 8:41am On Oct 07, 2023
He is not discouraging you he is helping you by telling you the truth. Bro Japa is never a solution to anything stop listening to those liars telling you cock and bull story by the the time reality hit them bro it will be like movie.

That so much millions you want to use to Japa if you have plan and well structure idea bro you will blow in a matter of time by the time you will want to travel you will go at ease may be for holiday or for business. My honest advise though...

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by alizma: 8:42am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.
First of all, you brought your friends personal interest into your own by asking him for a loan, considering this, he is likely not going to be 100% neutral when advising you, not because he hates you but because the return of his financial input is uncertain. He knows when you get there, you will need to balance financially first and possibly think of attending to the need of those you left in Nigeria before talking about repaying the loan, these will not happen overnight but possibly after one or two years, secondly there is the tendency that once the door of a helper has been opened to you now, it will be difficult for him to shot it against you when you get there and probably things don't go as expected immediately, trying to close the door then, will breed hatred, loss of friendship and financial commitment. So, I will advise you just seek for his financial assistance without telling him what for, if he can assist, then look for other person that will advise you on a neutral ground. Remember, this is not to say your friend is not genuine in his advise but from my own angle, your financial request has compromised his neutral ground on this case.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by adecz: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2023
sunboy:

Some people only think of what you
earn abroad in direct comparison to what
you earn in Nigeria.

They don't understand that the cost of
an average accommodation in an average
American city may approach the equivalent
of N1.5m per month. By the time you factor
in your home electricity and gas bills, it
may add another N300k equivalent. You
never talk about food and transportation
cost yetโ—๏ธโ—๏ธโ—๏ธ

It's easier if you have somebody who
is ready to accommodate you for a reasonable
period, before you settle down, but your
presence will also increase his own bills.

Nothing is free in obodo oyibo.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by walegon: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.

He is telling you the harsh truth. Japa is meant for young people who have critical skillsets in science, technology, engineering and medicine. If you don't have such skills you will end up doing menial wage jobs for a very long time. If you don't mind that then you can give it a try
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sonofsteven: 8:44am On Oct 07, 2023
When you start listening to people's opinions, you will move forward

My own opinion be say, keep better money for your wife and kids, then you can migrate, if na under bridge them dey sleep for there ,Join them, use lion face hustle, no do say na abroad I no fit do this and that, importantly PRAY ...

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by EmekaMD(m): 8:44am On Oct 07, 2023
Depends on many factors like Are you relocating on what types of visa? job visa, study pathway or visit visa with plans to stay back?
Job visa with job already secured? Easy choice.. Move

But study visa and even worse visit visa? Quite uncertain as ur stay is hanging on the balance plus no or limited work hours.

So the choice is yours. Consider all that is involved with the pathway you're plying before making the move.

180k small sha. we know but make thorough research
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by TruthDefender(m): 8:45am On Oct 07, 2023
@OP , the reason your friend is seemingly 'discouraging' you is because of the difficulty of you acquiring LEGAL Residency papers aka Green Card upon arrival in the US.

Without green card, all these 'illusionary' plans about career and wealth is gone.

He knows you want to come on a visit visa. How will you acquire green card upon arrival. 99% of Nigerians that go to USA and overstay their visit visa end up marrying for papers.

That process is fraught with uncertainty and danger. Let's say you are 45 years 0r 48. And you move to USA on visit visa and do arranged marriage to get papers ( because i assume you are married with kids in Nigeria), green card process can take anywhere from 5 / 10 years or more if you are unlucky or your case develops K-leg along the way.

Only after green card, would you even have the opportunity to further your education, then get that magical good job that people in Nigeria assume you get once you land in America. How old would you be then ? 55yrs?

Or if you migrate with your family, how would you get the green card. By asylum? Definitely impossible for a regular Nigerian unless you are under Nigerian govt persecution. Which if you were, your names would be on Nigerian newspapers.

Now, you see why your friend is giving you such advise to think am well ooo.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by iamkneeyi: 8:46am On Oct 07, 2023
According to late Mohbad.....FREINDNIMY
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by vickydevoka(m): 8:46am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

That might not be his close friend, maybe classmate friend or so

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

U.S Bans A Female Nigerian Banker For Life Over Fake Visa / Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / Mention The Funniest Bus-stops You've Ever Heard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.