Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me (44333 Views)

I Do Not Want To Japa But What Business Can I Start With 4 Million Naira. / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by gbeseun(m): 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

Stop seeking his advice and look for other means to seek funds for your japa and without looking back pls JAPA. JAPA. JAPA RUN RUN RUN.yiur 180k is nothing in today's Nigeria unless you are not married.
I am collecting double of your pay and I am also muting the idea and you are taking wrong advice from enemy of progress.
Even if you will be a cleaner in abroad,GO. JUST GOOOOO.
I wish you well

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 1:34pm On Oct 07, 2023
SirLakes:

Go sidon joor

Na only you go Europe

I even know person wey dey same Europe illegally after him paper expire, e don build 3 good house for here! Person wey fit borrow money from a day old baby when he dey naija.

Una matter just tire pesin

If you go there and still no make am, your village people dey on top your matter.
fearyourcreator, helinues, jrusky and other miserable RONUs. Those millions of unemployed graduates roaming the streets of Nigeria wouldn't think twice if they should throw the opportunity at them. Una politicians don eat their future join their own
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 1:36pm On Oct 07, 2023
ehikwe22:

Europe is advanced Africa? And you think the US is more advanced than Europe? What a dumb man you are
Lol you're comparing Europe to US?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Goddeywithme: 1:36pm On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

As you read further, you'll rind out my discussion is based solely on the U.S.

Una wey dey the U.K sef need to jakpa to the U.S. like for real, no jokes.

You don't know where I am. I used UK as an example.

As I said already, I don't discourage people from going out, but they need to know the facts. You can't calculate income only, without calculating tax, rent, transport, phone bills, bin charges, electricity and gas, etc etc.

In some situations, even after doing 2 jobs, some are not able to save 200 dollars or euros a month. This of course depends on where you live and you lifestyle. But alll these facts need to be known by the intended Japa person, before travelling. Telling someone what their income will be is not enough. Tell them everything. Then allow them to decide. That is my main point.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 1:37pm On Oct 07, 2023
TheBillyonaire:
Even ancestors want to also japa.

When will people sincerely know that they have failed in this life and admit to themselves and figure out how to live out their remaining years peacefully.

Not everyone will make it big. Know this and find peace.
ignorance is your middle name.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 1:38pm On Oct 07, 2023
Goalnaldo:
is she single? Connect me with her please
Are you earning in millions?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by emanobis(m): 1:38pm On Oct 07, 2023
If he is discouraging frm making Ur decisions
Then encourage him to come back and see his response and reaction (1:1)
What sort of nonsense is that
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Willie2015: 1:39pm On Oct 07, 2023
juman:
That was sincere advice from a friend.
He has good job here in Nigeria, he should think of business he can be doing to bring in more money.

Which business, Bros
Inflation has eroded all the gains in most SMES
i have started 3 bizness in Naija
Three of them closed up....
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by godwon01(m): 1:41pm On Oct 07, 2023
Let me tell you one thing, traveling is by luck. Some people are in the country they sojourn to with nothing to show for it, while some people make it greatly. Generally speaking when you see some Nigerian in the UK , you will think twice on why are they here. When you see some people here , they made it so big here. It is just luck. If your destiny is in Japa, you will definitely make it. Stop seeking advice from your enemy you called your friends. A lot of them are a big nuisance who wish you ill all the time. Honestly , to Japa is a nice idea if you have everything that will help you out. It is part of life experience. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by jrusky(m): 1:41pm On Oct 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
fearyourcreator, helinues, jrusky and other miserable RONUs. Those millions of unemployed graduates roaming the streets of Nigeria wouldn't think twice if they should throw the opportunity at them. Una politicians don eat their future join their own

Another one from same idiotic dog.....

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 1:43pm On Oct 07, 2023
ehikwe22:

This same mindset is the reason 90% of Nigerians here are disillusioned and depressed because they don't believe you when you tell them the truth, when they come they get disappointed. You only see the people sending money but what about several people homeless? What about people that their family have not heard from for years and decades? Some of those people building those houses are always in and out of jail and if they get unlucky might get locked for several years in a row - is that an ideal kind of lifestyle?

To make legitimate income is not easy in Europe and America and you'll be ready to do any kind of labour job that's rejected by their people
Lol

An average Nigerians are dying of hunger on a daily basis. Even your so called corrupt politicians that y'all asslick sent their kids there to have access to world-class education, healthcare and even buy properties with their stolen wealth.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by quickly: 1:46pm On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

Your friend actually likes you but it might seem he doesn’t.

All this small children with no travel abroad experience will tell you Japa japa.

The small money you make is going to be passing through your hands. Nigeria has almost zero taxation and you have family and friends support.

You are not even coming with approved work permit or you didnt mention it

So u will be doing either nothing or menial jobs that can’t pay any bills.

Abroad is better for people who come in their late teens or early 20s. Because it might take you about 10 years to stabilize

Anyway na your life and decision

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 1:48pm On Oct 07, 2023
Goddeywithme:

You don't know where I am. I used UK as an example.

As I said already, I don't discourage people from going out, but they need to know the facts. You can't calculate income only, without calculating tax, rent, transport, phone bills, bin charges, electricity and gas, etc etc.

In some situations, even after doing 2 jobs, some are not able to save 200 dollars or euros a month. This of course depends on where you live and you lifestyle. But alll these facts need to be known by the intended Japa person, before travelling. Telling someone what their income will be is not enough. Tell them everything. Then allow them to decide. That is my main point.

I agree with your submission and I have also done same to give the pros and cons in an encouraging way while allowing the individuals to decide by themselves.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 1:48pm On Oct 07, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Do we know if it's a life of crime/fraud you're living in Ghana?

We're talking about a man here who's going to start his life anew abroad at 50 with no skills and no plans of resorting to fraud.
Do you know men in that age bracket in Nigeria wouldn't think twice to relocate even to UAE and wash whites shit than to remain in perpetual poverty in Nigeria with no future?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

That's also the reason most of you resort to crimes abroad and give the country a very bad name, when compared to Indians, for example.

You hardly see an Indian who traveled without one skill or the other, and that's how it should be.
what skills did your emilokan has?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sharpwriter(m): 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2023
ednut1:
Without any skills which legal means does he qualify for in usa or Canada None
Caregiver ńkọ́ grin wink
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by seniorgozman(m): 1:59pm On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.
Don't listen to your friend. There is no harm in trying

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 2:00pm On Oct 07, 2023
Tazdan:
The worstest America is better than the best Nigeria.

You guys should stop with this rubbish. In America jobs are readily available to do for one to pay and sort bills.

In Nigeria, you graduate after studying for years but there are no jobs, you are home depressed with no means of income.

Tell me what can be more harder and depressing than that? Well it is only a foolish Nigerian that can be discouraged by online noise.

I can never be. America or nothing!

fearyourcreator, helinues, jrusky and other miserable RONUs know this but chose to decieve themselves and their fellow miserable RONUs because they don't have any other opportunities than to die put in Nigeria without seeing the road to airport while their paymaster emilokan the known drug lord and certificate forgery run to those countries on a daily basis.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BigIyanga: 2:02pm On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

Yimu...

You better go put your ear and eye to the ground for information.

I'm out.
Pikin wey dey im mama shop think say profit dey kill am.
For $5k a month .. that is $125/hr for 40hrs or $62.5hr for 80hrs .. without degree/certificate/skills…?

For $6k a month that is $150/hr for 40hrs or $75hr for 80hrs or $50hr for 120hrs… without any degree/certificate skill?

Let the pikin still dey lie to his peers that his mama dey swim in profit

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by UnfairLife7(m): 2:03pm On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

Do you understand that the term "retirement" as used here is subjective and relative?

Your retirement plan could mean waiting for pension at 65 years while another's could mean saving up to $100k in 5-10 years and retiring back to Nigeria to live a very quiet and low-key life in some remote village.

As a caregiver, in my first year, I comfortably saved up $40k. I am talking about me here, now.

Abeg, I don tire for long talks.

Na person dey use him hand decide how e want take arrange himself.

Peace
bro please this caregivers job is it available in all states in US? Is it only through Agent one can get it?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by jrusky(m): 2:08pm On Oct 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
fearyourcreator, helinues, jrusky and other miserable RONUs know this but chose to decieve themselves and their fellow miserable RONUs because they don't have any other opportunities than to die put in Nigeria without seeing the road to airport while their paymaster emilokan the known drug lord and certificate forgery run to those countries on a daily basis.

Same dog still vomiting thrash

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Felixv: 2:12pm On Oct 07, 2023
I think he meant the US and not Canada. I too was wondering how he would retire and earn a pension while working illegitimately -this is definitely a tough call

in the US you need to work for at least 10yrs before you earn your 40 points which then qualifies you for the state pension. And how much you get at 65/67 depends on the amount of money you contributed into the system. Note that only greencard holders and US citizens quality for the state pension.

What about health care -without health insurance you are living a risky life. I guess there are probably some charitable hospitals that might render some free services.

What about driving ,rent ,transportation and then the actual type of work you would need to do.

My point is be prepared for a hard life and good luck. I hope the guy does not end up in federal prison like a huge chunk of Nigerians.

we have a huge population currently serving time in prison for different type of offences.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 2:15pm On Oct 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
bro please this caregivers job is it available in all states in US? Is it only through Agent one can get it?

Yes, it is available in all the U.S. states. It is a huge industry and one of the industries the government doesn't joke with.

As a fresher, the best bet is to go through an agency.

Find people you know, be humble to them and their hustle, and plead with them to show you the way. If you can hook up with other nationalities that have been in the system for long, you'll be better off with a link.

Bless up.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 2:17pm On Oct 07, 2023
BigIyanga:

Pikin wey dey im mama shop think say profit dey kill am.
For $5k a month .. that is $125/hr for 40hrs or $62.5hr for 80hrs .. without degree/certificate/skills…?

For $6k a month that is $150/hr for 40hrs or $75hr for 80hrs or $50hr for 120hrs… without any degree/certificate skill?

Let the pikin still dey lie to his peers that his mama dey swim in profit

Haha

The matter tire and confuse you sef with your olodo mathematics above.

CSU graduate.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Offpointng: 2:26pm On Oct 07, 2023
maestroferddi:
Oga, I don't have time to burn on you...

People like you are wont to hyperventilate on things you have almost non-existent ideas about only to resort to insults when you are called out.

You make it sound like if you are overseas, you wouldn't need to bed in because you have some "skills".

Come sense ought to have made you realized that the most critical success factor for success in practically most endeavours is the determination and will to succeed.

The foregoing is what has made Nigerians thrive where others fail. You can have any degree of unskilled skill but it will amount to little if the will and drive are not there

Stop discouraging people who desire to go try change their lives...It I not like Nigeria is remotely an Eldorado...

You're trying to make point on my already established fact and I can't seem to grasp why you're attacking on what you're indirectly agreeing to.

How does Determination and the will to succeed doing menial job help you make it?? Tell me one renowned person in the world right now that has made it and is rich without a skill??

Determination and the Will to succeed will only be positive when you're doing something tangible and you strive each day to be more better. imagine investing Determination and the will to succeed into cleaning, washing dead bodies or fruit picking. how far would you want to go in Life??

Besides, I don't have to go live abroad before I know basic things to Life's successes. I'm not Abroad today cuz I find Nigeria liveable and more better cuz having a skill that fetch me money has made me better if I want to live anywhere in the world. Stop being that Nigga's enemy, tell him to get a skill and stop being a self glorified motivational speaker talking bout Determination and the will the succeed without the tools necessary for it.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by ehikwe22: 2:29pm On Oct 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
Lol you're comparing Europe to US?
America is a third world country with a large market/economy and army. Check any HDI or any index of development and tell me where America is found. European countries, Japan, Singapore, Canada and Australia are the most developed countries in the world. Y'all are too ignorant in this part of the world

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by mercysamuelson(m): 2:30pm On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom

Thank you all.

He gave you reasons as to why you shouldn't relocate but he himself and his family never relocated back to Nigeria if it's hard back there. An enemy of a man is surely a man. Until you wise up and do the needful without asking him for advice, you won't see any genuine reason why you need to leave Naija at anytime soon. He just don't want to help you out financially and that's all and this is because many people for Naija no get joy. Once you go make mistake borrow them your hard earned money, e go take forever to recover am from them. Just try and work hard and foot the travel cost and leave.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BigIyanga: 2:32pm On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

Haha

The matter tire and confuse you sef with your olodo mathematics above.

CSU graduate.
Mago mago travel agent learner dey look for victims.
Tell us those jobs/fields and we go run am thru BLS for you to expose your starterpack mago mago . You have no freaking idea what BLS does without Google.. then this topic is above your beer parlor convo league.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by being(m): 2:36pm On Oct 07, 2023
Lol@...unless he has special Grace
This sukkot is just a wicked somebody!!

I don't why people just want to take a very high risk for little to no reward.. imagine an almost 50 yo man sitting in govt chair all his working life doing nothing at work now wanting to go and do manual work..For what? His govt job is a secured one-- he is earning 180k - most likely in a cheap state like ekiti... What is he looking for up and down?

sukkot:
lmaoooooo bro it's the funniest thing ever. But you know what takes the cake ? He wants the guy he is seeking advice from to borrow him money to japa at 50. You can never get that money back. That's a loan write off. There is no way in hell he is ever going to be able to repay back japa loan at 50 . Japa money is in the range of 20,000 dollars

Having said all that he is smart in his choice of location. If at 50 he wanted to japa to Europe you know this is a man destined to die broke dejected and living in a rundown shared room or hostel. Cuz at 50 you can't do anything in Europe that is substantial. However Texas can be slightly favourable to a 50 year old man. He can drive uber. He can deliver pizzas. He can drive a taxi and with these he can afford to live in a one bedroom apartment. If he is strong and adventurous he can look into truck driving . He can survive in America but at 50 ? Just forget Europe because you are just going there to die. So I give him that. His location choice for his age is good. He will never make it unless he has a special grace in his life but he can survive and live another 20 to 30 years in a low to middle class neighbourhood just getting by till death comes calling. That's his lot if there is no special grace in his life
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BabaIbo: 2:40pm On Oct 07, 2023
Wujio:
If your mind is there, then your destiny and blessing is there !

You just reignited a dying flame in an aspect of my life with this quote.

I really appreciate bro.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BallingGuy: 2:41pm On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Carry your bleeping cross yourself!
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by moebobba: 2:41pm On Oct 07, 2023
Person wey dey advise u still dey there...ok

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / Ekesons First Class Cabin In Road Buses Makes History / Mention The Funniest Bus-stops You've Ever Heard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.