Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,442 members, 7,836,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? (5062 Views)

Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? / I want to love an hausa Girl / How To Love An Igbo Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by pendo89(f): 7:28pm On Oct 22, 2011
sauer:

I have been tryin 2 respond to d thread by claiming that qualities make up an individual, who is just a void without them. And that individuals can't change 'fundamentally'. Accordin 2 one poster, their core should remain essentially same. Bt then, certain diseases or accidents can indeed render people exceedingly fundamentally different from whom they had been. There are documented cases of people rendered totally changed in personality after major accidents. So, those qualities can indeed b reversd, while the individual remains same.
Kafka's metamorphosis details an hypothetical case.
Following this, am led to conclude nearly all people actually love others' qualities, for a start. When they then lose these qualities, it is left to their loved ones to choose to continue loving them as individuals. . .

You know you make sense but you made me think a bit. What is the difference btwn the individual and a body?
An individual is made up of a soul (qualities) body and mind. We get attracted by the qualities in the individual.
Now if the qualities are compromised as you say,then the individual is also compromised because the soul (qualities) which is also the human life is the individual.In short you are the qualities.
I think I would agree with you if the human qualities reside in the body and not soul.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by freecocoa(f): 7:39pm On Oct 22, 2011
D-sense:

OP.

To my understanding and notion,I admit the Qualities compromise the Individual. .  .you need to have glimpsed at 

someone extremely genius,amazing or vey phenomenal that might have attracted you and had called your attention before even

moving closer to the individual . .and finally set new plan if to take it above. 
Hey its a lie,Is this really my D-SENSELESS?where have you been?I've longed to see you online just like the deer longeth for water,I really missed you.*Runs and gives him a big bear hug*
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by ArQueBusieR(m): 8:38pm On Oct 22, 2011
We love their quantities. grin
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Dsense(m): 9:26pm On Oct 22, 2011
freecocoa:

Hey its a lie,Is this really my D-SENSELESS?where have you been?I've longed to see you online just like the deer longeth for water,I really missed you.*Runs and gives him a big bear hug*

kiss kiss kiss kiss cry cry kiss kiss kiss. . . .Missed you more kiss kiss kiss
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by WackyJ1(m): 2:27am On Oct 23, 2011
Now let me begin by defining the word "Personality"
Personality is the Quality or state of being a PERSON.
Another definition of Personality is "The complex of ATTRIBUTES- behavioural, emotional, mental and temperamental that CHARACTERISE a person.
OR the totality of An INDIVIDUAL's behavioural and emotional Characteristics.
Now if Personality is the quality or state of being a person and personality is also the sum total of a person attributes and characteristics Then it is safe to say that a person is a sum total of his or her attributes or characteristics,
"Everything people do is as based on their characteristics" which is unique to them. Two people might not act the same way in a particular situation because they are different.
Everything about relationships in human beings is based on INTERACTION and every type of interaction is based on an aspect or a combination of aspects of personality of the human beings involved. You cannot like someone you have not interacted with in any way before and you can only like someone(or even objects) because of the way they appealed to you which could be because of a number of factors which could be looks(physical attributes), the way they talk, the way they act e.t.c(behavioural attributes.). Love just doesn't start like that. ( Even love at first sight is still based on physical attributes.) True love develops over time and starts from at first liking the person. And we've already established that you can only like someone because the person appealed to you which happens because of a number of factors, 98% of which are based on the person's characteristics.
Now just like all matter consists of atoms, which are THE FUNDAMENTAL particles of matter. And Cells are the FUNDAMENTAL aspects of all living things. So also also Characteristics are the FUNDAMENTAL aspects of human Personality.
Now we know that if we should change the fundamental particles of something, it becomes another thing entirely, The atoms that make oxygen are different from the ones that make up hydrogen so if we should change the atoms that make oxygen to the atoms that make hydrogen, the oxygen no longer is oxygen but it becomes hydrogen. So also if you change the fundamental characteristics that describe a person, he is no longer the person you know.
Now when i Say characteristics i'm being general. We know we have physical characteristics and inner ones. What i think Rokiatu means in her question is that if the inner characteristics are changed but the physical ones remain the same would we still love the person/individual? Now we've already established that we like someone because of certain attributes that appeal to us and that the sum total of attributes are what make up a person. If the attributes/characteristics of a person are changed fundamentally in all entirety Then by all means that person is no longer the person we liked or loved. It just looks like the person. But the thing is when one loves a person, he/she forgets the component attributes that made him/her like the person in the first place why? Because the like transcended to love because of a continuous display of said attributes by the person. And just like the nose gets accustomed to a smell after being subjected to it for a long time such that it seems the nose cannot perceive the smell anymore. Those attributes that instigate the love are forgotten(technically, closely bonded to every aspect of the person we interact with). So even when the fundamental attributes are changed as long as the person still looks like he did before we attach the love that was generated by the internal attributes to the physical attributes and we still feel love for the person whereas in actuality though it looks like the person, it's no longer the same person.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nymphnode(m): 5:06am On Oct 23, 2011
My woman came with factory fitted qualities and upholstered with great persona. Lucky me
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 5:56am On Oct 23, 2011
Qualities makes up an individual.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by djeezy(m): 7:16am On Oct 23, 2011
When you love the qualities, definitely you will embrace the persona.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by afrika(f): 7:29am On Oct 23, 2011
in my case, this theory do not work. i ve a gurl that loves me, but each time in a week, she gets to fault me. now, i do d welcome back and beg d beg despite where d fault or whose to blame. now, wen she first met me, she fell in love. what makes ha find fault in me. doe, this has been on like dt. but, if i go and find her, she reconciles d matter dt we both dont knw and d love continues. wat does all these mean, experienced colleagues. can she be d one or ,
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 23, 2011
My woman came with factory fitted qualities and upholstered with great persona. Lucky me
[size=14pt]Choooiii! "[b]Nairaland[/b]ationality!" grin grin grin grin

I haff heareth anothereth one!. . . grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

[/size]
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by pendo89(f): 8:09am On Oct 23, 2011
afrika:

in my case, this theory do not work. i ve a gurl that loves me, but each time in a week, she gets to fault me. now, i do d welcome back and beg d beg despite where d fault or whose to blame. now, wen she first met me, she fell in love. what makes ha find fault in me. doe, this has been on like dt. but, if i go and find her, she reconciles d matter dt we both dont knw and d love continues. wat does all these mean, experienced colleagues. can she be d one or ,

Those qualities the characteristics that make up the individual need a medium to operate through.
That medium is a shell called body.We only say you are a caring person after you have expressed it through your body.
The qualities(good/bad) emanate from the human soul.In short a body without a soul is dead. you cannot separate the 2 and stay alive.
The environment we live in at times affects the way we react but it doesn't change who we are as a person.Its like that rubberband which you stretch but when you release it goes back to its original state. Ice is still water but in a solid state.The composition doesn't change.
The state changes under different pressure and temp.
So  if you ask me, your girl forgives you because she knows your original composition.She doesn't care that you changed and annoyed her because that was you under pressure. you melted or boiled but kp going back your original self which she loves.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Qualities makes up an individual.

Seriously, stop coming to Romance Section, u dont belong here undecided
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 23, 2011
Less stalking plz. Do us both a favour and pay attention to the thread.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 23, 2011
^^ Stalk you? u no even come close, i better stalk pig then  grin grin grin
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 23, 2011
odiaero:

^^ Stalk you? i better stalk pig then grin grin grin

Then you better.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 23, 2011
Go to where u are known, tribagarian cheesy
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 23, 2011
And he's still here.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 23, 2011
Lol, not untill u leave
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 23, 2011
Roll eyes.

*sips my tea*
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 23, 2011
Sip ur tea ko, sip ur piss ni
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 23, 2011
Moving on to a less contaminated thread.
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 23, 2011
Finally, see you in the tribagarians threads
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by IbroSaunks(m): 9:19am On Oct 23, 2011
the answer, in my opinion, to the question this tread poses lies in the difference between an individual and a person,
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by guycraze: 1:10pm On Oct 23, 2011
crazy topic, very technical
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by guycraze: 2:45pm On Oct 23, 2011
Anyway assuming an individual here refers to physical appearance,the body ie .Given an option I would go for both. ie inner and outer qualities.
But since there's none, I will choose the inner qualities because:
1. the outer wears out with time while the inner does not,
2. the outer could get damaged/destroyed but the inner remains the same.
3. the outer is only but a shell to carry the inner qualities.And we know it's the qualities which help you deal with life and make decisions.

@pendo
nice response. I really dig ur style
Re: Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? by chugam24(m): 8:51am On Oct 24, 2011
[color=#000099][/color] I concur with u @ pendo

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Time Of Sex In Relationships, Why Do Ladies Ask "So What Are We Now?" / . / Don't Be A "Murderer". Stop Cyber Bullying.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.