Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW (15280 Views)

Faisal Maina Sentenced To 14 Years In Prison For Money Laundering / TCN Confirms Collapse Of National Grid / Joshua Dariye Sentenced To 14 Years Imprisonment, Cries In Court (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by poseidon12: 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2023
Audio
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by COMPAQ(m): 1:49pm On Oct 09, 2023
EcoBrick:

https://punchng.com/fg-grows-national-grid-power-capacity-to-14000mw/

Capacity and Generation are two different things. Besides the headline is also wrong. Its not National grid capacity that has grown to 14,000MW. Its actually generation installed capacity.

And the problem is that while generation capacity is 14000MW, actual generation is about 5000MW, mainly due to unavailability of gas. But even if we generated the entire 14,000MW, we wouldn't be able to wheel all of that power due to the limited capacity of the grid, which is also about 5000MW.

However, if we decentralized the grid, a generation plant in Kaduna that cannot send enough into the national grid can create its own transmission line to send power directly to Abuja DISCO.
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by Bigchristo: 1:51pm On Oct 09, 2023
EcoBrick:

https://punchng.com/fg-grows-national-grid-power-capacity-to-14000mw/
]Lies and Deceit is the slogan of this current government and those occupying offices, no iota of truth in their mouths, Power holding company of Nigeria (PHCN) has never generated up to 13,000 megawatts its usually 6,000 megawatts to 4,400 imagine spending $1.3 billion for 700 megawatts plant how much other countries use in building of infrastructure which supplies 24hrs electricity? Thieves.. Na greed dey worry these people
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by stepaside1: 2:01pm On Oct 09, 2023
COMPAQ:

Capacity and Generation are two different things. Besides the headline is also wrong. Its not National grid capacity that has grown to 14,000MW. Its actually generation installed capacity.

And the problem is that while generation capacity is 14000MW, actual generation is about 5000MW, mainly due to unavailability of gas. But even if we generated the entire 14,000MW, we wouldn't be able to wheel all of that power due to the limited capacity of the grid, which is also about 5000MW.

However, if we decentralized the grid, a generation plant in Kaduna that cannot send enough into the national grid can create its own transmission line to send power directly to Abuja DISCO.
The Power decentralisation act has been signed into Law, enabling States and other entities participate in the Power value chain. Real challenge is upon us and we are still speaking grammar like many Nigerians do. Apart from Edo and Lagos States, who else is taking this challenge up? Talk is cheap
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by COMPAQ(m): 2:11pm On Oct 09, 2023
stepaside1:

The Power decentralisation act has been signed into Law, enabling States and other entities participate in the Power value chain. Real challenge is upon us and we are still speaking grammar like many Nigerians do. Apart from Edo and Lagos States, who else is taking this challenge up? Talk is cheap

Even if a Power Act is passed by a State, it doesn't magically mean anything will improve anytime soon. Is it these our bankrupt states? There is still plenty of work to be done before we see improvements. In the case of Lagos, the following still need to happen:

Lagos Electricity Regulatory Agency will need to be set up

LERA will need to engage with NERC and DISCO's on its planned regulations

Except LASG plans to lay new parallel cables to everybody's house, it will need to engage EKEDC and IKEDC on how best to achieve this improved supply.

To improve supply, more electricity will need to come from somewhere. This will need to be sorted out. This costs money and takes time.

Even if Lagos plans to take electricity from an existing plant somewhere that has excess capacity, a transmission line will need to be built to deliver it to Lagos. Before its built, it will need to be tendered, contract awarded before a contractor even starts work.

These state laws will take minimum of 3 years before we begin to see any impact.
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by metodman(m): 2:17pm On Oct 09, 2023
If my memory serves me right, I think power is always relatively better in Nigeria during wet season?
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by COMPAQ(m): 2:27pm On Oct 09, 2023
metodman:
If my memory serves me right, I think power is always relatively better in Nigeria during wet season?

There are reasons for that.

Hydro power generation is better during that period

Weather is much cooler and electricity conducts better in cool weather, so transmission losses are less

Due to cool weather people don't use AC as much, so demand is much lower, so there is more electricity to go round. In June, July, August and September I could sleep with just fan, but in the last few weeks, its been getting quite hot so I am now using AC more.

The grid is more stable due to all the reasons above
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by Moneyyman: 2:43pm On Oct 09, 2023
I noticed some improvement in the power supply in my area recently although it's actually returning to pre-2020 levels.
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by Tayorshd87: 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2023
You are a fool can't you comprehend the last statement saying where they wrote expert said we need 30,000MW to be sufficient for the nation 🤔 I guess you have an eye sore

DatNiggaDaz:
Lies, deceit & propaganda has destroyed the country. Since Nigeria now generates 14,000mega Watts of electricity, why is there blackout all over the nation.

Dont come & say the infrastructures for the transmission & distribution of the 14,000 mega Watts are non existent. Are they just knowiing that If they are not available, what is the sense of coming out tö lie that 14,000mMW has been added to the National Grid For what purpose are the lies when Nigerians gain nothing from lies & propaganda

Not long ago the grid fell below 2000megawatts.

Why do this emilokan mandate thieves always blow the trumpet of lies & deceit. A curse upon APC
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by metodman(m): 6:05pm On Oct 09, 2023
COMPAQ:

There are reasons for that.

Hydro power generation is better during that period

Weather is much cooler and electricity conducts better in cool weather, so transmission losses are less

Due to cool weather people don't use AC as much, so demand is much lower, so there is more electricity to go round. In June, July, August and September I could sleep with just fan, but in the last few weeks, its been getting quite hot so I am now using AC more.

The grid is more stable due to all the reasons above

Absolutely. Thank you for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

It means that I got my suspicion right. Nigerian government under diffrent leadership always claim to have improved electricity supply during this period on a yearly basis but I noticed that it is always a lie. Just as you have clearly and smartly explained, it is just an improvement that is effected by the weather. It has never had anything to do with successive government doing anything with regards to the electricity issue in that country.

It's just shameful the way they claim this temporal improvement.
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by ViceGovernor: 6:40pm On Oct 09, 2023
They took light 5 minutes ago and they've brought it back already.

This feels like a setup 🙂 are you sure we are not using 3 days light for today alone
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by prophetfire: 9:10pm On Oct 09, 2023
Re: FG Grows National Grid Power Capacity To 14,000MW by Tundepeachtech(m): 5:36pm On Oct 10, 2023
DatNiggaDaz:
Lies, deceit & propaganda has destroyed the country. Since Nigeria now generates 14,000mega Watts of electricity, why is there blackout all over the nation.

Dont come & say the infrastructures for the transmission & distribution of the 14,000 mega Watts are non existent. Are they just knowiing that If they are not available, what is the sense of coming out tö lie that 14,000mMW has been added to the National Grid For what purpose are the lies when Nigerians gain nothing from lies & propaganda

Not long ago the grid fell below 2000megawatts.

Why do this emilokan mandate thieves always blow the trumpet of lies & deceit. A curse upon APC
where you dey stay. We dey get light steady for my area. Ikorodu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of Police Residential Quarters / WHO, Boko-Haram's Doctor Arrested / Plateau Killings: IGP Deploys Special Intervention Force

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.