Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,204 members, 7,815,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) (3424 Views)

Animals That Feel Pains Of Birth, Did They Eat The Forbidden Apple Too? / Catholicism's SHOCKING Attitude Toward The Bible! / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Aemmyjah(m): 4:45pm On Nov 01, 2023
SIRTee15:

Per second per second mention typist on nairaland. No life, no job, no purpose. All he does is look for who's next mention.

💯 💯 💯

1 Like

Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by LordReed(m): 4:18pm On Nov 18, 2023

1 Like

Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 4:45pm On Nov 18, 2023
LordReed:
SIRTee15
Saw this and thought about you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-Ucq5QrAc?si=7OpGX3a7f6xldIxz
Bro, what do you think about Emanations different from Creation?
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by LordReed(m): 6:09pm On Nov 18, 2023
Maynman:

Bro, what do you think about Emanations different from Creation?

I dunno what that is. Anything to explain it?
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 6:33pm On Nov 18, 2023
LordReed:

I dunno what that is. Anything to explain it?
Please look it up when you are free.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by SIRTee15: 12:05am On Nov 19, 2023
LordReed:
SIRTee15

Same anti biblical claim with deliberate distortion of facts. He clearly avoided evidence that will nail his argument dead.
I already discussed here most of the claim the video raised. I can't be repeating myself all the time.
What I can do is this..bring up any of the claims in the video u find interesting or curious and we will debate it.
Good thing about the video is that it admitted the synoptic gospels were written in the 1st century AD. Most atheist dispute this claim.

Let me give u a bonus.
The video claim the first time the gospels were attributed to the acclaimed authors was 185AD
Well the first new testament compilation- Muratorian cannon was written around 175 to 180 AD and confirmed the 4 gospels.
The guy also conveniently left out father Iranaeus contribution to authorship of the gospels in his book against heresy written in 180 AD.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by jom28gy(m): 12:09am On Nov 19, 2023
God2man2again:
The acronyms are:
B- Basic
I- Instructions
B- Before
L- Leaving
E- Earth

The Bible came into existence through inspiration, revelation, illumination, audible voice, angels, prophets, visions, dreams and still small voice from God Almighty and nature..

About 40 different authors wrote the Bible of 66 books in different locations over a period of more than one thousand years.

Some of these authors never saw the writings of one another yet there is a wonderful unity, agreement and conformity with their writings.

How can you preserve a book for more than 1,000 years?
It can only be God.
God has hands in it.
Till tomorrow, the Bible is still under attacks, scrutiny, twisting, misapplication and misinterpreted.
They sought in vain to destroy the Bible but it stood like an unmovable Rock

The Bible is good for the soul. It nourishes, encourages, heals, transforms and fits the soul as key to a lock.

The Bible has power. The power to destroy the deception of the wicked old man, the devil.
Quote the Bible and see how the wicked will flee.

The Bible is a spirit. It gives life to people.

A world without Bible is like a Sodom and Gomorrah, ready for destruction.

( To be continued)
while you have your thoughts about bible, know that,it is a reference book for christain, just like Quran for Muslims, Tora for jews, Hindus also have their own, each have a consoling messages distinctively, God, made them all,
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by SIRTee15: 1:12am On Nov 19, 2023
LordReed:
SIRTee15

More on objections raised in the video.

One of the most common objections to the authorship of the gospels is that they didn't include their names.
It's quite a common practice in ancient literary world for writers not to sign their works.
The popular book, the Republic of Plato was anonymous but correctly attributed to Plato.
Julius Caesar also did not sign his works and sometimes writes in 3rd person. Caesar's writings, including his commentaries on the Gallic and Civil Wars, were presented in the third person and did not include a personal signature.

It was not uncommon for individuals not to sign their literary or political works with their names.
The works of prominent figures in ancient Rome and Greece were often attributed to them by later scholars based on style, content, or other considerations rather than being explicitly signed by the authors themselves.
To discredit the gospels for being anonymous is to be disingenuous and crafty in thinking.

Besides we don’t have the original scrolls that the gospel authors wrote on, they very well could have signed it off informally and this wasn't copied on further scripts. A letter like Luke, addressed to a certain person, was unlikely to have originally been written anonymously.

The video also argued that since Matthew’s gospel refers to Matthew in the third person he couldn’t have been the author.
As shown earlier with Julius Caesar, it was common in writings at that time to refer to yourself in the third person when you weren’t the primary focus.
Another example of this is Josephus who depicted himself as 3rd person in some of his works.

He who had the first lot laid his neck bare to him that had the next, as supposing that the general would die among them immediately; for they thought death, if Josephus might but die with them, was sweeter than life; yet was he with another left to the last, whether we must say it happened so by chance, or whether by the providence of God.

Josephus, Jewish Wars 3.8.7

The video made a ridiculous statement that Matthew couldn’t have written Matthew’s gospel because he was an illiterate.
Matthew worked as a tax collector for the Roman government not the Jewish officials. He will need to communicate both verbally and written in greek to enable him function in his role otherwise he will be replaced.
And as shown in my previous thread. Some of jesus disciples had greek names and spoke greek.
It's just obstinacy in display to insist all Jesus disciples are illiterate.

As for John, I don't understand the guy's problem with a secretary. Even learned Paul sometimes use secretaries to write his epistles, and Peter equally confirmed he used secretaries to write his letters in 1st Peter.
LordReed unfortunately all what the guy has done is just compile well known anti gospel repetitive scripts and present it as of he has discovered something new.
It's the same bori g thrash as usual.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 1:14am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:

One of the most common objections to the authorship of the gospels is that they don’t include their names.
It's quite a common practice in ancient literary world for writers not to sign their works.
The popular book, the Republic of Plato [/i]was anonymous but correctly attributed to Plato.
Julius Caesar also did not sign his works and sometimes writes in 3rd person. Caesar's writings, including his commentaries on the Gallic and Civil Wars, were presented in the third person and did not include a personal signature.

It was not uncommon for individuals to sign their literary or political works with their names.
The works of prominent figures in ancient Rome and Greece were often attributed to them by later scholars based on style, content, or other considerations rather than being explicitly signed by the authors themselves.
To discredit the gospels for being anonymous is to be disingenuous and crafty in thinking.

Besides we don’t have the original scrolls that the gospel authors wrote on, they very well could have signed it off informally and this wasn't copied on further scripts. A letter like Luke, addressed to a certain person, was unlikely to have originally been written anonymously.

The video also argued that since Matthew’s gospel refers to Matthew in the third person he couldn’t have been the author.
As shown earlier with Julius Caesar, it was common in writings at that time to refer to yourself in the third person when you weren’t the primary focus.
Another example of this is Josephus who depicted himself as 3rd person in some of his works.

[i] He who had the first lot laid his neck bare to him that had the next, as supposing that the general would die among them immediately; for they thought death, if Josephus might but die with them, was sweeter than life; yet was he with another left to the last, whether we must say it happened so by chance, or whether by the providence of God.

The video made a ridiculous statement that Matthew couldn’t have written Matthew’s gospel because he was an illiterate.
Matthew worked as a tax collector for the Roman government not the Jewish officials. He will need to communicate both verbally and written in greek to enable him function in his role otherwise he will be replaced.
And as shown in my previous thread. Some of jesus disciples had greek names and spoke greek.

As for John, I don't understand the guy's problem with a secretary. Even learned Paul sometimes use secretaries to write his epistles, and Peter equally confirmed he used secretaries to write his letters in 1st Peter.
LordReed unfortunately all what the guy has done is just compile well known anti gospel repetitive scripts and present it as of he has discovered something new.
Plato had many books that were known that he wrote, outside of the gospel which did Matthew, john, mark and Luke write?

Your comparison is flawed.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 1:17am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:

When they arrested Jesus, all the discples fled, except the disciple whom Jesus loved and peter.
The disciple whom Jesus loved is not John.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 1:21am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:

One of the most common objections to the authorship of the gospels is that they don’t include their names.
The popular book, the Republic of Plato was anonymous but correctly attributed to Plato.

It was not uncommon for individuals not to sign their literary or political works with their names.

He who had the first lot laid his neck bare to him that had the next, as supposing that the general would die among them immediately; for they thought death, if Josephus might but die with them, was sweeter than life; yet was he with another left to the last, whether we must say it happened so by chance, or whether by the providence of God.

The video talked about papais on Matthew writing in Aramaic, and he wrote Logia (sayings) not a narrative Gospel.

How come you didn't address it which is the main basis of the video?
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by SIRTee15: 1:24am On Nov 19, 2023
What other works were authored by gospel writers?
Who wrote the John 1, John 2, John 3?
Who wrote the acts of apostles?

LordReed u see why I hate talking to some people here. Their fingers types faster than the neurons in their brain.
If I ignore him now people will say he's making point, not knowing he's just a nuisance. Without me, he can't breath.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 1:27am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:
?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Johannine_works

Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 1:28am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:
Mark was the first Gospel to be written, how come you didn't address it?
The other unknown authors of the other gospels use mark work.

Who is the discple whom Jesus loved?
Read the book of john 😂

1 Like

Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by SIRTee15: 2:18am On Nov 19, 2023
What did the early church fathers say about the Johannine works.
There was no doubt about the authorship of 1 John amongst the church fathers. John the apostle wrote it.
Even until 19th century, the general acceptance among scholars was the gospel of John and 1 John was written by same author.

At the end of the 19th century scholar Ernest DeWitt Burton wrote that there could be "no reasonable doubt" that 1 John and the gospel were written by the same author due to similarity in content, language and conceptual style

The Muratorian cannon also affirmed the authorship of 1 John to be John the apostle.

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Muratorian_fragment

Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by LordReed(m): 5:24am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:

Same anti biblical claim with deliberate distortion of facts. He clearly avoided evidence that will nail his argument dead.
I already discussed here most of the claim the video raised. I can't be repeating myself all the time.
What I can do is this..bring up any of the claims in the video u find interesting or curious and we will debate it.
Good thing about the video is that it admitted the synoptic gospels were written in the 1st century AD. Most atheist dispute this claim.

Let me give u a bonus.
The video claim the first time the gospels were attributed to the acclaimed authors was 185AD
Well the first new testament compilation- Muratorian cannon was written around 175 to 180 AD and confirmed the 4 gospels.
The guy also conveniently left out father Iranaeus contribution to authorship of the gospels in his book against heresy written in 180 AD.

Do you mind if I post your objections into the comments section or will you do it yourself?
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Aemmyjah(m): 5:30am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:

LordReed u see why I hate talking to some people here. Their fingers types faster than the neurons in their brain.
If I ignore him now people will say he's making point, not knowing h[b]e's just a nuisance[/b]. Without me, he can't breath.

A complete nuisance desperate for attention
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Aemmyjah(m): 5:33am On Nov 19, 2023
Well, they only take their stand as critics
Anything they want to accept is their own problem
It is nit today that people have taken their stand against the holy book

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 7:27am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:

The Muratorian cannon also affirmed the authorship of 1 John to be John the apostle.

That's a lie, no where in your link did it mention 1john, and it's no more Johannine epistles 😂
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynman: 7:32am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:
What did the early church fathers say about the Johannine works.
There was no doubt about the authorship of 1 John amongst the church fathers. John the apostle wrote it.
Even until 19th century, the general acceptance among scholars was the gospel of John and 1 John was written by same author.

At the end of the 19th century scholar Ernest DeWitt Burton wrote that there could be "no reasonable doubt" that 1 John and the gospel were written by the same author due to similarity in content, language and conceptual style

I looked at all what you sent and they are hogwash 😂
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynmann: 7:44am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:

Stop lying shamelessly, there was nothing like that, only Ernest said something at the END of 19th century, and it was debunked 20th century.
And now ". Today, following the work of J. Lewis Martin and Raymond Brown, the majority of scholars believe that John and the First John were written by different members of the same community, the "Johanin Community."

And also SIRTee15, where did Ernest say that the gospel of John was written by john, or did he say it was from the Johannine community?
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by LordReed(m): 9:45am On Nov 19, 2023
Maynman:

Please look it up when you are free.

I find that most attempts at spiritual explanations for phenomenon sound like pretentious bullcrap. I think the way the universe is provides sufficient awe inspiration without trying to layer some other spiritual explanations unto it. Emanations are no different, just some people trying to sound like they have insight they can't possibly have since evidence for what they are saying cannot be produced.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynmann: 10:01am On Nov 19, 2023
LordReed:

I find that most attempts at spiritual explanations for phenomenon sound like pretentious bullcrap. I think the way the universe is provides sufficient awe inspiration without trying to layer some other spiritual explanations unto it. Emanations are no different, just some people trying to sound like they have insight they can't possibly have since evidence for what they are saying cannot be produced.
😂😂.
For me spiritual means spirited, so I'm also not into the Nollywood spiritual.

The point I was trying to pass with emanation is, existence always is, there is no beginning nor end. Nothing can be created but can only be made.
I just wanted you to see the difference between religion.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by SIRTee15: 11:35am On Nov 19, 2023
LordReed:

Do you mind if I post your objections into the comments section or will you do it yourself?

My objection or his objection? Anyway feel free to post it here.
However pls look at my 2nd mention to u, I already explained some of the objections the video raised.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by LordReed(m): 11:44am On Nov 19, 2023
SIRTee15:

My objection or his objection? Anyway feel free to post it here.
However pls look at my 2nd mention to u, I already explained some of the objections the video raised.

Yeah I want to post them in the comments section of the video.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by LordReed(m): 11:49am On Nov 19, 2023
Maynmann:

😂😂.
For me spiritual means spirited, so I'm also not into the Nollywood spiritual.

The point I was trying to pass with emanation is, existence always is, there is no beginning nor end. Nothing can be created but can only be made.
I just wanted you to see the difference between religion.

Oh sure I understand that. I think you can be 'spiritual' without being pretentious because it's all about a recognition of the complexity of the universe especially the recognition of the complexity of the inner universe.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by Maynmann: 11:56am On Nov 19, 2023
LordReed:

Oh sure I understand that. I think you can be 'spiritual' without being pretentious because it's all about a recognition of the complexity of the universe especially the recognition of the complexity of the inner universe.
Right.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by SIRTee15: 12:02pm On Nov 19, 2023
LordReed:

Yeah I want to post them in the comments section of the video.

Oh I didn't know that's what u meant. Feel free to do so.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by LordReed(m): 5:44am On Nov 20, 2023
SIRTee15:

Oh I didn't know that's what u meant. Feel free to do so.

The video author responded.

1 Like

Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by SIRTee15: 9:22am On Nov 20, 2023
LordReed:

The video author responded.

Ask him why was Mathew written in the 3rd person.
Why should he claim someone named Luke is not a gentile when Luke is derived from the latin name Lucas. Luke is not a native Hebrew name.
If he's not a gentile, then the only possible option is he's an Hellenistic Jew which means he can could speak greek. And since he's a doctor, then he should be able to write good greek.

The idea that Jesus disciples are all illiterate is ridiculous. Philip and Andrew spoke to Greeks in the book of John.

The assumption that Roman officials would employ non greek speaking Jew to work for them doesn't make much sense. So are they going to employ another person to interpret the tax calculation of Mathew from Aramaic to Greek?
Why would they employ 2 persons to do the same job.
Or are we to assume Romans officials could read aramaic? Is that the standard for colonial officers to be literate in the language of their colony? How feasible would that be since they are transferred to different colonies regularly?

And the idea that Palestinian population are greek illiterate is largely unfounded in the bible.
Pontus pilate wrote the inscription on the cross of Jesus in Aramaic, Latin and Greek. Why would he write in Greek if there are insignificant greek literate Palestinians?
Who were the target audience of the Greek inscription.

Peter is assumed to be illiterate and couldn't speak greek, but he got Silas to write the 1st Peter letter for him which means Silas translated the dictation in Greek.
Why can't the same be done for gospel of John. Except we want to assume Peter could speak greek. And if Peter could speak greek why can't John?
As u can see, the video is just a merry go round circus, garnished with personal opinion. Little or no factual evidence. Too many assumptions.
Re: How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) by LordReed(m): 9:55am On Nov 20, 2023
SIRTee15:

Ask him why was Mathew written in the 3rd person.
Why should he claim someone named Luke is not a gentile when Luke is derived from the latin name Lucas. Luke is not a native Hebrew name.
If he's not a gentile, then the only possible option is he's an Hellenistic Jew which means he can could speak greek. And since he's a doctor, then he should be able to write good greek.

The idea that Jesus disciples are all illiterate is ridiculous. Philip and Andrew spoke to Greeks in the book of John.

The assumption that Roman officials would employ non greek speaking Jew to work for them doesn't make much sense. So are they going to employ another person to interpret the tax calculation of Mathew from Aramaic to Greek?
Why would they employ 2 persons to do the same job.
Or are we to assume Romans officials could read aramaic? Is that the standard for colonial officers to be literate in the language of their colony? How feasible would that be since they are transferred to different colonies regularly?

And the idea that Palestinian population are greek illiterate is largely unfounded in the bible.
Pontus pilate wrote the inscription on the cross of Jesus in Aramaic, Latin and Greek. Why would he write in Greek if there are insignificant greek literate Palestinians?
Who were the target audience of the Greek inscription.

Peter is assumed to be illiterate and couldn't speak greek, but he got Silas to write the 1st Peter letter for him which means Silas translated the dictation in Greek.
Why can't the same be done for gospel of John. Except we want to assume Peter could speak greek. And if Peter could speak greek why can't John?
As u can see, the video is just a merry go round circus, garnished with personal opinion. Little or no factual evidence. Too many assumptions.

It would be better for you to have that discussion yourself in the comments section of the video.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Jehovah's Witnesses in Here? / If You Died, Why Should God Let You Into Heaven? / Wole Soyinka On Traditionalism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.