Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,026 members, 7,828,604 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market (33692 Views)

Lagos Shuts Mandilas Market / Alaba International Market, Correcting The Populace Mind And Setting The Record / How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by vicshub(m): 10:44am On Oct 23, 2023
hopexter:

The Lagos government can do whatever she wants to clean the state’s markets at anytime. Visitors like you is not qualified to dictate to the owner of Lagos. undecided
Your father sold his inheritance to me to marry more wife. Legit landlord. If e too pain you come and buy it back let's do Bussiness. Iru

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by SeriouslySense(m): 10:44am On Oct 23, 2023
Theweekend:
u go soon kpai on top igbo matter
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by tollyboy5(m): 10:45am On Oct 23, 2023
erico2k2:

I think you might be emotional too, can I say this, is it not the responsibility for teh tax collector to clean the public areas within and outsdie the market? Cos this seems to be the problem in NIgeria, you tax the people but dont carry out the job the tax is meant for. You cannot tell me all the traders in any market as big as that don't pay tax, so tell me what are they taxed for? Air to breath? Now the mkt is shut, what are they the tax collector doing about it?the rubbish within the market is not fully generated by the traders, dont forget you get visitors and customers as well, who travel from all part of Nigeria to buy there wholesale, this form part of the people who pay T fare within Lagos and eat there sometimes pay for hotels etc, So these lil Economy will seize for the days this mkt is shut. People do not seem to see the big picture.
There are no lawma staff in that market. The banks along the road should be part of it.
When you say I'm being emotional i don't understand what you mean because I'm not igbo. I'm a native lagosian.
Whoever might be wrong on this im very sure they will reach an agreement and the market will be opened again. The Alaba governing council are very active and do relate with the state government very well.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by NoToPile: 10:45am On Oct 23, 2023
erico2k2:

This is where the people should ask Lawma some serious question, I know a very good friend of mine that owns a shop there or rather does import Biz there [b]the get taxed monthly for environmental fees which is meant for evacuation of Rubish [/b]Now Lawma would leave the rubbish in the roads whither the traders have paid taxes its responsibility of the gvt to provide dumping site and evacuate rubbish promptly ie every nights. In the Uk we have loads of street market, once the market shuts down people clear their rubbish to the front of the market and the council comes to collect all the Rubish. Its never the responsibility of the traders to take their rubbish to rubbish tips or dumps miles away.

Understand that the agency will not deal with an individual shop in the market, it's always with the association. The association will be billed a lump sum and it pays the govt.

So your friend is paying to the association monthly.

And Yes the wastes are always being carted, the problem is always when associations don't pay or traders don't follow their agreed waste disposal means.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by erico2k2(m): 10:46am On Oct 23, 2023
NoToPile:

Which of the markets?

All the markets are duly engaged and have their arrangements for waste pickups. Different arrangements ask you will get the info.

E. G Alaba Int has different associations different plazas and different excos for all these their associations and plazas all of them are individually engaged by the PSP operator and even the state agency involved they all have their arrangements for their waste management.

They can not say they never saw it coming non of the executives of the places sealed can't say that.

Same applies for tradefair

Some other markets like food markets especially have larger bins placed in a strategic place in their market.

Ofcos I know about being Engage, what Im saying is this, did the government fulfill thier own part of teh Engagement? did they provide refuse collection points?The traders are paying for this service to the govt.Are they not same people who contracted Lawma,Can I also aske you beween Alaba. Computer village have you seen any Container for refuse collection stationed out there? In my town in Delta state they have an open top container outside the market, everyone goes and dump their rubbish there in the evening or on thier way home and the council clears it early in the morning. If the government provides this kind of rubish point wont this solve the problems? I have been at places like Ladipo just as early 2018, I saw 1st hand how they enforce Environmental sanitation.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Papayaayasager(m): 10:46am On Oct 23, 2023
Very soon LASG will shut heaven gate with the way they are going, election is over stop the post electoral rage.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Kaiser20: 10:47am On Oct 23, 2023
Tinubu built Lagos, he is building Alaba now.
Tinubu has surrendered the huge task of building Nigeria to God
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Khyrvxjzy: 10:48am On Oct 23, 2023
erico2k2:

In reality, it should be the lagos state govt that is responsible for clearing out the rubish or providing where rubbish should go to.The tax collectors should build toilet for the traders and visitors to the mkt.THings might go back to how it use to be when everyone goes to Onitsha to buy electronics etc

no ibo man will be president

private waste company they una say una won dirty
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by uuzba(m): 10:49am On Oct 23, 2023
Sunnie1:
Discrimination at high level
Discrimi wetin?.
But the place is sha dirty Abi?
People be behaving anyhow, then when the law comes, you start complaining, "but others were doing it"
That's not an excuse to be dirty and stinking.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Khyrvxjzy: 10:49am On Oct 23, 2023
speedchariot:
Open a Sea port in Akwa Ibom or Calabar and see your Lagos crumble.
hehehe i think say south east get sea na
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by hopexter(m): 10:50am On Oct 23, 2023
vicshub:

Your father sold his inheritance to me to marry more wife. Legit landlord. If e too pain you come and buy it back let's do Bussiness. Iru

I’m from Edo state and not a scavenger like you and your kinsmen. Because an Osu like your father was exiled from his land and state to Lagos doesn’t mean Lagos is a no man’s because it harbours pigs like your family. If the market shutdown pain you so much, carry your grievance go meet Lagos government. Bunch of worthless pigs. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by erico2k2(m): 10:50am On Oct 23, 2023
NoToPile:

Understand that the agency will not deal with an individual shop in the market, it's always with the association. The association will be billed a lump sum and it pays the govt.

So your friend is paying to the association monthly.

And Yes the wastes are always being carted, the problem is always when associations don't pay or traders don't follow their agreed waste disposal means.

Now you are understanding my point, Moreso the traders pay individual Taxes to both Local and state government. Your local govt contracted LAWMA to clean up, however LAWMA is demanding extra money which they have no rights to do.ALl the Local government needs do is provide an area in front or back of the market for traders to dump rubbish at closing time each day market will be clean. Within the market areas Im sure the traders/Associations can police that but outside it they cannot. It will also amaze you to know that all rubbish outside of the markets are not always from teh said markets.
In PHC where I have Biz at choba, WIke instruction is for all Biz to put thier rubish in the middle of the central reservation of the roads, and the River state version of lawma come to collect it at night.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Papayaayasager(m): 10:50am On Oct 23, 2023
They should shut Alaba rago is also in Ojo LG very dirt place...oh! They can't it's their masters dominated market if you don't gerit, forgerit.

Mad poeple.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Khyrvxjzy: 10:50am On Oct 23, 2023
Theweekend:
u go soon kpai on top igbo matter

no peoblem i kpai, so far you be slave

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Fearyourcreator: 10:51am On Oct 23, 2023
Beremx:
Foolish government. If you want to shut down markets, always give an ultimatum instead of behaving tribalistic again another ethnic group.

Ndi ara
Shutup they give time... they don't just come ... if not they would have been dragged to court... And again market dey open ... una go just dey open una mouth anyhow

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Khyrvxjzy: 10:51am On Oct 23, 2023
vicshub:

The ibo man will come to your state, rent your shops. Pay taxes in your state, he will employ person in you state , he will contribute to your infrastructure by building modern houses, but yet he is your problem. A hausa man will bring death and hell and rape your wives and kill your youths and live like animals and also not pay taxes, yet he is good. Poor thinking. Hate is always blind until it's too late.

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by uuzba(m): 10:52am On Oct 23, 2023
Morbeta11:

Many of you on this platform are so ignorant....closing down markets has no political or ethnicity label, its cos of poor Sanitation. Igbos are not only the ones in all those markets even Ghanaians, Cameroonian, Yorubas, Hausas, Fulani etc. Government cannot afford to close down where they generate income for a long period. They are simply instructing them or rather wiping all of them in line to take their environmental hygiene seriously. You guys so stop all these tribal nonsense.
Don't waste your time arguing with stupid people, always looking for excuse to break laws and be DIRTY and STINKING.
Touch them small, and they start shouting "it's because of my tribe!!!!"

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Jonjam269: 10:53am On Oct 23, 2023
If this was done in Abia State, you would see them hailing the move, but since it's Lagos they love to hate, all logic out of the window! What do you expect from people that believed Buhari was cloned.
It's waste of energy and resources engaging such set of people.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by SonOfDSoil01: 10:53am On Oct 23, 2023
Shikini:
I knew from beginning that Alaba and Trade Fair were their target. They started with small small markets, then Ladipo market, before hitting the big ones.

Nigerian politicians are so predictable. I even told a a friend that all those small markets Alausa were closing were smoke screens. The ultimate targets were Alaba and Trade Fair.
why not just relocate your market to Alaibo dirty pigs grin Lagos is a slum Una usual mantra and yet the real owners want to clean it up and get rid of pigs yet you complain angry Lagos cannot afford to be turned into pig farm where all pigs roam free😂

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by afube: 10:53am On Oct 23, 2023
fkelly:
Power drunken authorities, at the end Nigerians suffers.

The people u are after might not really be affected as much as u anticipate it, they seem to have extra life, I have seen them start from zero multiple times and accomplished great things.

Endusers will bear the consequences.

Let them close it nah .........make our Igbo people learn sense! ndi iberibe....come home!
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by NoToPile: 10:54am On Oct 23, 2023
erico2k2:

Ofcos I know about being Engage, what Im saying is this, did the government fulfill thier own part of teh Engagement? did they provide refuse collection points?The traders are paying for this service to the govt.Are they not same people who contracted Lawma,Can I also aske you beween Alaba. Computer village have you seen any Container for refuse collection stationed out there? In my town in Delta state they have an open top container outside the market, everyone goes and dump their rubbish there in the evening or on thier way home and the council clears it early in the morning. If the government provides this kind of rubish point wont this solve the problems? I have been at places like Ladipo just as early 2018, I saw 1st hand how they enforce Environmental sanitation.

I just explained the way it works to you,

For E. G. FEDAN Plaza in Alaba has its own waste point, other plazas have where they aggregate their waste for pick up by PSP.

Good you used computer village as an example, have you wondered why computer village has not had environmental infarction issues for some time and they do generate a whole lot of waste and it's been carted.

There are arrangements for aggregation and pick up of waste in all those places.

They all have their arrangements,

Some you will see big containers like Oyingbo etc some other markets too, some you might not see because there are arrangements for aggregation and pickup.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by erico2k2(m): 10:54am On Oct 23, 2023
Khyrvxjzy:

private waste company they una say una won dirty
Another Ignorant and ill exposed human,Im Urhobo from Delta state, Ill educated folks like you are the ones who think once you aint yoruba you must be IGBO, please stop this foooolishnesswe have more than 300 tribes in Nigeria, I'm beginning to believe what some IGBO people say that some of you lot are obsessed with the IGBO people,It is also worthy of note to say its only the BROKE yoruba people that see hatred against the Igbos, the well to do ones don't give a rat azzzz. typica example Davido!
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by FreeStuffsNG: 10:54am On Oct 23, 2023
wirinet:

It seems Governor Sanwo Olu wants to sabotage APC from winning any election in Lagos come 2027. Either he wants Tinubu to lose Lagos or he is planning to use a battalion of thugs to prevent anyone from voting. Maybe they intend to just write the figures the next time around in Lagos elections.
Because he is closing dirty markets? We don't reason like that in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by mercysamuelson(m): 10:55am On Oct 23, 2023
LadyRosa
What of balogun market?
That place is worst! Na shiiit just plenty that side.
And na yoru dey shitt there as them no get suck away.

Broad daylight you go see gutter with shiiit going straight to that lagoon

Dem don suck the fu*kk outt'a you sotey you no fit differentiate between "Suck away" and "Soak away" yet you no fit talk without mentioning one particular tribe. Children of hate. It is well with ur soul.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by AfroKnight: 10:56am On Oct 23, 2023
NoToPile:

If you know how many time these markets would have been engaged and dialouged with you will understand.

Its a Nigerian thing, until force is applied we won't shift, sebi Oyingbo has been reopened after they complied.

But the waste management of all public spaces is the task of LAWMA. They should do their job.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Papayaayasager(m): 10:56am On Oct 23, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

Shutup they give time... they don't just come ... if not they would have been dragged to court... And again market dey open ... una go just dey open una mouth anyhow

Shut your trap, they only flex mumu muscle where the rising sun poeple are what of Alaba Rago also in Ojo LG, very dirty place Alaba int'l is even clean.

Why they never go there make then remove their drug Oga wey dey give them moral for power with just one phone call.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by NoToPile: 10:57am On Oct 23, 2023
erico2k2:

Now you are understanding my point, Moreso the traders pay individual Taxes to both Local and state government Your local govt contracted LAWMA to clean up, however LAWMA is demanding extra money which they have no rights to do ALl the Local government needs do is provide an area in front or back of the market for traders to dump rubbish at closing time each day market will be clean. Within the market areas Im sure the traders/Associations can police that but outside it they cannot. It will also amaze you to know that all rubbish outside of the markets are not always from teh said markets.
In PHC where I have Biz at choba, WIke instruction is for all Biz to put thier rubish in the middle of the central reservation of the roads, and the River state version of lawma come to collect it at night.

The bolded is a wrong assertion, it's not the way it works at least in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by afube: 10:57am On Oct 23, 2023
Igboslayer:
Calm down, you can't tell the government where to begin their sanitation... They will start from the people that insulted them during election because they gave them enabling environment.

They should relocate to their Alaigabo from Alaba. Stupid people that doesn't know the fact that for a business to succeed you must have a willing buyer and seller. Yorubas dey patronize una and you dey feel like king, go sell to your poor village people na and see if you will make money

You must be a complete and utter fool! so an Igbo man cannot rule you but you can rule anigbo man twice in 15 years .................it is just a matter of time anyway!
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by Theweekend: 10:58am On Oct 23, 2023
Khyrvxjzy:

no peoblem i kpai, so far you be slave
do u think am a slave to u, it's u that think lyk a slave and forever remain one
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by plumcomm: 10:58am On Oct 23, 2023
Anambra1stSon2:

See how you guys have used mumu to mess Nigeria economy up thinking you are punishing the Igbos
oga shut up there,how is closing down a market tantamount to messing up the economy?,abu na mouth wan kill una.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by NoToPile: 10:59am On Oct 23, 2023
AfroKnight:

But the waste management of all public spaces is the task of LAWMA. They should do their job.

The job is being done that's why we are on this thread. cheesy

Enforcement is also part of that job.
Re: Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market by erico2k2(m): 11:00am On Oct 23, 2023
NoToPile:

I just explained the way it works to you,

For E. G. FEDAN Plaza in Alaba has its own waste point, other plazas have where they aggregate their waste for pick up by PSP.

Good you used computer village as an example, have you wondered why computer village has not had environmental infarction issues for some time and they do generate a whole lot of waste and it's been carted.

There are arrangements for aggregation and pick up of waste in all those places.

They all have their arrangements,

Some you will see big containers like Oyingbo etc some other markets too, some you might not see because there are arrangements for aggregation and pickup.
Bro agrigate Pick ups wont work, some of teh wastes from those dealers down there are larger than what a single person can pick in a hand held bin.The reason why I am talking to you like this is cos Im very close to few stake holders in them places and I use to import with them early 2000s in a place called promise land in ladipo, you might k now it, most time Im in Nigeria I still go there to visit them people. Take for example, something so simple as building toilet in Ladipo the local govt can't do, is this not shameful people have to wee on the street and poo at any hidden spot or in broad day light at the canal. The surprising this is why just they build toilet enroute the canal. The whole system is wrapped around corruption that's all I can say in the part of the government not IGBO, some here already think Im Igbo with their myopic reasoning cos Im thinking outta the box

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Naira Finally Improves At The Interbank Rate / Heavy Flooding In Alaba Market: Goods Worth Millions Of Naira Destroyed (Video) / Access Bank Takes Over Etisalat Nigeria Over N541 Billion Debt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.