Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,845 members, 7,813,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism (21055 Views)

Peter Obi's Lawyers Bring Boxes Of Evidence To Election Tribunal (Video) / Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month / Robert Clarke: Death Sentence Won’t Stop Corruption, It’s In Blood Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by FreeStuffsNG: 12:57am On Oct 27, 2023
The senior lawyer said he would not even permit a junior member of his chamber to bring such a brief before the Supreme Court.

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Robert Clarke, says the lawyers of Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi did not demonstrate professionalism in challenging President Bola Tinubu’s victory in the 2023 election.

“I am not saying they (Atiku, Obi’s lawyers) fumbled the case; what I am saying is that they have not displayed a good sense of legal practice,” the legal luminary said on Thursday’s edition of Channels Television’s Politics Today.

The senior lawyer’s comment comes hours after the Supreme Court upheld the victory of Tinubu in the February 25 presidential election.

The apex court, in its ruling, dismissed the appeals by Atiku, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP); and his Labour Party (LP) counterpart, Obi.

A seven-judge panel dismissed the opposition’s appeals over claims of fraud, electoral law violations, and Tinubu’s ineligibility to run for president.

The apex court thrashed all the grounds of appeal of Atiku and the PDP on qualification, non-compliance with the Electoral Act, the 25% votes in FCT, and electoral malpractices.

Commenting on the ruling of the apex court, Clarke said there was a lack of due diligence in the appeals, pointing out that the legal representation of Atiku and Obi could have been better.

The senior lawyer said he would not even permit a junior member of his chamber to bring such a brief before the Supreme Court.

“Where the law is not allowed to put its heads up in a proceeding, it means that there is another law which prohibits their lawyers to have brought such. They know it, they still decided — either to please their supporters and allow such a matter to come before the Supreme Court,” he said.

“I will not allow any junior in my chambers, even one or two years old to carry such a brief to go and argue in court when I have looked into all the facts and the facts are very clear. There is a limitation of time in election matters. You cannot do certain things.”

Clarke said Obi and Atiku’s lawyers had the chance to present their evidence at a lower court but they did not.

“They had the opportunity as a pre-election matter but they never brought it out. They had the opportunity as a matter within a tribunal’s case but they never brought it. They are now coming and bringing matters that should have been argued in the lower tribunal and the Supreme Court will now be reviewing such evidence as an appellate matter and not as an original jurisdictional matter.”

“I am not blaming the lawyers; that is the last thing I would do, but I am sorry to say that the lawyers, with due respect to them, should have done a better job in this regard.

“As the Supreme Court said, if you have facts that were available before the trial started and you did not bring them into the trial court…

Therefore, if you intend to use any evidence in the Supreme Court, you must have ensured that such evidence must have passed through the original jurisdiction of the lower court,” he said.
https://www.channelstv.com/2023/10/26/atiku-obis-lawyers-didnt-display-good-legal-practice-clarke/

69 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by FreeStuffsNG: 12:57am On Oct 27, 2023
“I am not blaming the lawyers; that is the last thing I would do, but I am sorry to say that the lawyers, with due respect to them, should have done a better job in this regard.

Sir, blame them. It's their job and they fell short of giving excellent service to their clients. I guess the Supreme Court Judges knew their clients legal fees would keep mounting if the case drags longer so used their wisdom to stop those lawyers from further billing Mr Obi and Alhaji Atiku by not spending more than 3 working days on the appeal. It was no brainer that the SC rescued Mr Obi and Alhaji Atiku.

The mediocrity of the legal representation of both petitioners stinks to high heavens and gives an idea of how mediocrity would have been the order of the day if these petitioners could assemble this kind of mediocre legal team.

Haba!In one fell swoop they sank from being sore losers to mediocre sore losers. That of Alhaji Atiku shocked me more because I believe that someone who had wasted millions in USD for the failed CSU case can hire and pay the services of quality legal team unlike Mr Obi who no dey give shishi and can go for pro bono or cheap legal service providers.

I was the first to state here that, after I read the judgement of the brilliantly meticulous Presidential Election Petition Tribunal, I knew it's a death knell to the petition and I do not think that the Supreme Court will spend more than 3 working days to throw out the appeal of both Mr Obi and Alhaji Atiku.

Here, a very Senior Legal practitioner is confirming what everyone saw. It was the lowest I have ever seen of a Presidential petition.

If I were Mr Obi and Alhaji Atiku, I will demand for a refund of the professional fees I paid them and/or report them to NBA Ethics and Disciplinary Committee and the Federal Consumer Protection Commission. Check my signature for free stuffs!

132 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by TemplarLandry: 1:01am On Oct 27, 2023
cool I told em…

Sodik Atiku and Hoe B spent the whole time fetching water with baskets.

96 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by StOla: 1:02am On Oct 27, 2023
See as he rubbish Obi and his Lawyers.

Supreme Court use Mutatis Mutandis to finish the Muntula within 2 minutes, him leg no reach ground.

As for Atiku the desperate politician, he will now permanently exile himself to Dubai as a serially failed presidential aspirant and candidate.

So long Siddiq.

80 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Xxxxtentacion2: 1:03am On Oct 27, 2023
lets move on ... the focus should be can Tinubu deliver good gorvenance to Nigerians From Tinubu's performance so far i am rating him 2/10

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Urheadmaster(m): 1:20am On Oct 27, 2023
Bola Ahmed Tinubu is not a magician but he may deliver in a long period of timetongue
Xxxxtentacion2:
lets move on ...
the focus should be can Tinubu deliver good gorvenance to Nigerians
From Tinubu's performance so far i am rating him 2/10

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Xxxxtentacion2: 1:26am On Oct 27, 2023
Urheadmaster:
Bola Ahmed Tinubu is not a magician but he may deliver in a long period of timetongue
. Nigeria does not have the leverage of waiting such a long time its now or never..

13 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Urheadmaster(m): 1:29am On Oct 27, 2023
If you can survive Buhari regime.

Bola Ahmed Tinubu has come to continue in another dimension that is worth waiting tongue
Xxxxtentacion2:
. Nigeria does not have the leverage of waiting such a long time its now or never..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by netpro(m): 1:35am On Oct 27, 2023
You are forming Champion is because you have not met a true CHAMPION.

Moreover if you have a desperate client with a frivolous case, the more you patch - the more it leaks.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Xxxxtentacion2: 1:35am On Oct 27, 2023
Urheadmaster:
If you can survive Buhari regime.

Bola Ahmed Tinubu has come to continue in another dimension that is worth waiting tongue
it is not worth it to suffer for another mans dreams... why should we be the ones to suffer while the politicians live recklessly and squash our common wealth... keep playing...

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Fortruth: 1:38am On Oct 27, 2023
StOla:
See as he rubbish Obi and his Lawyers.

Supreme Court use Mutatis Mutandis to finish the Muntula within 2 minutes, him leg no reach ground.

As for Atiku the desperate politician, he will now permanently exile himself to Dubai as a serially failed presidential aspirant and candidate.

So long Siddiq.

But your community will not improve under "APC".

That's the problem with common NIGGERS like you.

Making noise while shyting where you eat...

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by pandoragirigory: 1:48am On Oct 27, 2023
Quite obvious

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Urheadmaster(m): 2:02am On Oct 27, 2023
Upon all the appointments Bola Ahmed Tinubu have been doing, does it look to you like is playing tongue
Xxxxtentacion2:
it is not worth it to suffer for another mans dreams... why should we be the ones to suffer while the politicians live recklessly and squash our common wealth... keep playing...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by TANID(m): 2:20am On Oct 27, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool I told em…

Sodik Atiku and Hoe B spent the whole time fetching water with baskets.

1 Like

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by MorataFC: 2:47am On Oct 27, 2023
Despite clearly stating that they had no valid case, they persistently tried to intimidate us with their bullying tactics, hoping that their aggression would deter us from telling the truth.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by MorataFC: 2:48am On Oct 27, 2023
netpro:

Moreover if you have a desperate client with a frivolous case, the more you patch - the more it leaks.
grin

4 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by oz4real83(m): 5:38am On Oct 27, 2023
The lawyers don't determine Atiku's actions during litigations, it is the prophecy of his marabouts who told him that he will become president whether by hook or crook according to OBJ, that matters . With that mindset, even if the best lawyers advise him, the advise will be wasted.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Wealthoptulent(m): 5:50am On Oct 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism, Says Clarke

By Nosakhale Akhimien
Updated October 26, 2023

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Robert Clarke, says the lawyers of Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi did not demonstrate professionalism in challenging President Bola Tinubu’s victory in the 2023 election.

“I am not saying they (Atiku, Obi’s lawyers) fumbled the case; what I am saying is that they have not displayed a good sense of legal practice,” the legal luminary said on Thursday’s edition of Channels Television’s Politics Today.

The senior lawyer’s comment comes hours after the Supreme Court upheld the victory of Tinubu in the February 25 presidential election.

The apex court, in its ruling, dismissed the appeals by Atiku, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP); and his Labour Party (LP) counterpart, Obi.

A seven-judge panel dismissed the opposition’s appeals over claims of fraud, electoral law violations, and Tinubu’s ineligibility to run for president.

The apex court thrashed all the grounds of appeal of Atiku and the PDP on qualification, non-compliance with the Electoral Act, the 25% votes in FCT, and electoral malpractices.

Commenting on the ruling of the apex court, Clarke said there was a lack of due diligence in the appeals, pointing out that the legal representation of Atiku and Obi could have been better.

“Where the law is not allowed to put its heads up in a proceeding, it means that there is another law which prohibits their lawyers to have brought such. They know it, they still decided — either to please their supporters and allow such a matter to come before the Supreme Court,” he said.

“I will not allow any junior in my chambers, even one or two years old to carry such a brief to go and argue in court when I have looked into all the facts and the facts are very clear. There is a limitation of time in election matters. You cannot do certain things.”

Clarke said Obi and Atiku’s lawyers had the chance to present their evidence at a lower court but they did not.

“They had the opportunity as a pre-election matter but they never brought it out. They had the opportunity as a matter within a tribunal’s case but they never brought it. They are now coming and bringing matters that should have been argued in the lower tribunal and the Supreme Court will now be reviewing such evidence as an appellate matter and not as an original jurisdictional matter.”

“As the Supreme Court said, if you have facts that were available before the trial started and you did not bring them into the trial court…

Therefore, if you intend to use any evidence in the Supreme Court, you must have ensured that such evidence must have passed through the original jurisdiction of the lower court,” he said.
https://www.channelstv.com/2023/10/26/atiku-obis-lawyers-didnt-display-good-legal-practice-clarke/
Mynd44 nlfpmod

Oga no Evidence to Display @ Lower court.. na why dem explain tire how dey Won online, CSU certificate, Drug/FBI case.
PO & AA go Congrats BAT , Cry may last all Night but joy COMETH by Morning.
Dem go greet am by Morning, dem still dey Cry & Mourn

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by dahmie2013: 6:03am On Oct 27, 2023
cheesy grin They just wanted to cash out.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Mvnster: 6:11am On Oct 27, 2023
netpro:

Exactly, only someone desperate would cling to the 25% FCT thing, and the electoral act rubbish.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by StreetFight: 6:12am On Oct 27, 2023
Kindergarten lawyers

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by StreetFight: 6:16am On Oct 27, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:

The borders are open

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by justified007: 6:19am On Oct 27, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:

Which means you guys still expects patch-patch economic development. Buhari used all our reserves and even borrowed money all over the world and printed more money just to patch things up and the same thing with Jonathan.

You still want us to continue in that direction?

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by joyandfaith: 6:22am On Oct 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism, Says Clarke

By Nosakhale Akhimien
Updated October 26, 2023

Mynd44 nlfpmod
I agree with Clarke to some extent. Even if they did , judges would find some loopholes to dismiss them. The truth is that owner of Nigeria doesn't want Atiku and couldn't trust an Ibo man to be president. May be they drafted Obi into race to stop Atiku.

5 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by mycar: 6:24am On Oct 27, 2023
Where they killed our democracy is with IREV results not being admissible, election from today onwards will be do or die.
we are doomed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by Kukutente23: 6:35am On Oct 27, 2023
Yeah
Everyone always blames the loser
We're steadily building a country where might is right
I don't blame the SC. No one can expect them to do for Nigerians what they wouldn't do for themselves
Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by omenka(m): 6:44am On Oct 27, 2023
The truth is, both parties, especially the one who doubles as IPOB grand patron, relied more on blackmailing the judges into giving him a favourable judgement. He went to both the Court of Appeal and Supreme courts with nothing as evidence but his phone with which he uses to issue orders to his criminal supporters

I'm glad the judges stuck to their guns and delivered judgement based on the evidence before them, which is at best watery.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by omenka(m): 6:47am On Oct 27, 2023
Kukutente23:
Yeah
Everyone always blames the loser
We're steadily building a country where might is right
I don't blame the SC. No one can expect them to do for Nigerians what they wouldn't do for themselves
They asked your candidate who claims he won to show proof of the figures by which he won. Did he? Can you?

Is the court supposed to work with silly conjectures and emotionally induced suppositions? How exactly did Atiku or Pandora win the election? By what margins? Which states? Or you guys have no clue?

52 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by socialmediaman: 6:58am On Oct 27, 2023
Re: Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism by emkz: 6:58am On Oct 27, 2023
They spent time on social media.

Throughout the trial, Labour Party and PDP lawyers were discussing the matter on social media and mainstream media. We did not hear any of Tinubu or APC's lawyers speaking.

Labour Party filed a case and started making noise on social media instead of gathering evidence and arguing their petitions diligently at the tribunal. The tribunal was not sitting on social media.

Atiku went on a fishing expedition to Chicago State University when he realized he would lose at the tribunal. Instead of informing the tribunal he had new evidence, he kept fooling himself. When he got a depositon, he was excited and granted a press conference. He forgot to get the deposition notarized, stamped or even filed in the US District Court to give it a legal backing. He also forgot to amend his appeal and threw in evidence.

Did he ask the court to do anything with it?

Atiku, if you are reading, AVOID THE FOLLOWING PERSONS IMMEDIATELY:

(1) Dele Momodu; he misled you to grant World Press Conference and tweet nonsense without thinking.

(2) Timi Frank: he lied that Tinubu did not attend CSU and you ran with it a year later and ended up making a fool of yourself.

(3) Phrank Shaibu: he is a hungry media hypeman who only worked harder after you lost election.

(4) Daniel Bwala: he is confused.

(5) Don Pedro Obaseki: he was your head of research and should have advised you properly. He said Nigerians would have heart attacks if they disovered what Tinubu was hiding. He based his research on voodoo and pseudo-science. Fire him and AVOID HIM.

(6) David Hundeyin: he is an unethical journalist and a journalist for hire. He built stories on conspiracies appealing only to headless people. You ran with it and he messed you up.

(7) Nduka Obaigbena: he is a businessman and was alleged to have taken funds belonging to his colleagues sometime in 2014. He returned some of the funds though. He was also banned from holding office in any company in the UK for financial misconduct. As an alleged media veteran, he ought to have advised you on the best way to use the media. Those press conferences broadcasted live by Arise News were not necessary. The time should have been spent gathering much needed evidence and filing them properly.

(8 ) Paul Ibe: we never heard his voice until after you lost election. He doesnt believe in you.

(9) Dino Melaye: honourable mention.

(10) Ifeanyi Okowa: since you lost, he abandoned you.

(11) Peter Obi: he is an ingrate who cost you the election.

Atiku, your truest friend in this game is Senator Ben Obi. Hold him tight.

26 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chad Carries Out Airstrikes On Boko Haram Hideouts In Nigeria / Arms Deal: EFCC Traces Transfers To 11 Foreign Accounts In UK, US, Niger / Aregbesola Inspects Ongoing Projects In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.