Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,108 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? (12639 Views)

What's The Best Advice On This Matter? / Help, My Guy Needs A Good Advice / Is My Wife Correct On This Matter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by linearity: 2:18pm On Nov 14, 2023
Mhizzard:
Big man,the best way you can be having your share in this lucrative business.you let him know that you will be getting percentage from the revenue the business generate.it is better to be having continuous share than a once share

Even without that, or even an agreement, the underlying base is that, the Source of the business is a family Compound and family-owned borehole, so at the minimum, he should be paying royalties back to the family.

Since the family out-numbered him, they could even vote him out legally and shut him from accessing the family borehole. A better advise is to setup a rival water company using the same borehole and compete directly with him....run him out of the market by producing quality products at a better price point, he will come back and beg.

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Dracula123: 2:19pm On Nov 14, 2023
Family is family. If he doesn't contribute anything or want to share the profit.....please let him be.
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Austriaopen(m): 2:24pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kennitrust:
Straight to the point:

We're family of 8 living closely together in the family compound.
What happened here is that in 2009, shell company came to our community and and offered us and anyone interested a cheap and affordable borehole. We took the advantage to have borehole in our family compound.

Fast-forward to 2017, one of my brothers conceived the ideas of making pure water from the family water. The idea was a welcome development as we all donated towards the success of the business.

To cut long story short...

When the business became successful due to the environmental position (our compound is closed to border). My brother refused any member of the family an access to the benefits accrued the sale. My brother fought anyone who demand for a share from the sale. Literally most times in a week my brother could make a sale up 1m. In a week.

Currently, he is building another water factory unopposed by the family. Family compound is decaying and he said, he had no concern whatever happens in the compound and that his only concentration is in his business.

Being the last born in the family with negligence of help from the only brother who could recus me using that our local oil well. I decided to pick up a battle of GIVE ME MY SHARE OF THE PROFIT YOU MAKE FROM MY FATHER PROPERTY. The fight no be here. He is now asking us to come together so we can share properties so he can exonerates himself from the rest of us.

Please I need advice on how to crab my shares from this LIFETIME business.

Leave your brother alone let him build his business . You can also seek for financial support from family members too to start your own water factory on same father’s land.

What’s the fuse about? Is he the only one entitled to the property? Why don’t you go look for funds and build your water factory on the land too and make close to 1m?

You think it’s easy to start a business in Nigeria and scale through? Don’t bring the hardworking and business oriented brother efforts to nothing. If he keeps giving everybody ,will he be able to save and build a second water factory by now ?

You guys enh!

5 Likes

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by greggng: 2:25pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kennitrust:
Straight to the point:

What happened here is that in 2009, shell company came to our community and and offered us and anyone interested a cheap and affordable borehole. We took the advantage to have borehole in our family compound.

Fast-forward to 2017, one of my brothers conceived the ideas of making pure water from the family water. The idea was a welcome development as we all donated towards the success of the business.

When the business became successful due to the environmental position (our compound is closed to border). My brother refused any member of the family an access to the benefits accrued the sale. My brother fought anyone who demand for a share from the sale. Literally most times in a week my brother could make a sale up 1m. In a week.

Currently, he is building another water factory unopposed by the family. Family compound is decaying and he said, he had no concern whatever happens in the compound and that his only concentration is in his business.

Being the last born in the family with negligence of help from the only brother who could recus me using that our local oil well. I decided to pick up a battle of GIVE ME MY SHARE OF THE PROFIT YOU MAKE FROM MY FATHER PROPERTY. The fight no be here. He is now asking us to come together so we can share properties so he can exonerates himself from the rest of us.

What do you mean by life time business
? Without his idea of establishing water business with the borehole...did you guys have plans for sane business? How much did you guys contribute toward the pure water business . Aside the water there other equipment needed for the business..ie the machines and generators... Also he pays for labour .

The best thing is for you guys to sit down and share your inheritance..but his water business is not part of your inheritance ...

2 Likes

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Fairview1: 2:40pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kennitrust:
Straight to the point:

I love the fact that you are speaking the truth without hiding it under the narrative of,....there's this my friend who lives in our neighborhood ishh

Look, business principle wise, your brother is on the right track, ethical wise he's definitely not on the right track.

Summon your brother through the eldest in your family, clan or community, have everyone sit down and discuss it properly. It's inappropriate for him to appropriate everything to himself when the business was organically started by the family.

I will propose a two prong approach:

Either he value the company and buy everyone out according to the contributions you all made earlier or he value the business and everyone get periodic compensation of whatever is earned by the business.
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by ceejay80s(m): 2:52pm On Nov 14, 2023
bashtee09:
please I am seeking for help in getting drugs and food, I need to overcome this sickness and get back to my hustle

Anything at all will be appreciated please

91 53 05 60 10 palmpay

May God bless us all
And u have data to send us message?
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Lance008(m): 2:55pm On Nov 14, 2023
He no go give you anything
Find ur way before he tag u a witch

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Lance008(m): 2:57pm On Nov 14, 2023
Fairview1:

I love the fact that you are speaking the truth without hiding it under the narrative of,....there's this my friend who lives in our neighborhood ishh

Look, business principle wise, your brother is on the right track, ethical wise he's definitely not on the right track.

Summon your brother through the eldest in your family, clan or community, have everyone sit down and discuss it properly. It's inappropriate for him to appropriate everything to himself when the business was organically started by the family.

I will propose a two prong approach:

Either he value the company and buy everyone out according to the contributions you all made earlier or he value the business and everyone get periodic compensation of whatever is earned by the business.
The business was not started by family they only supported
The business is only at their family compound and benefiting from the compound water

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by drsibz66(m): 2:57pm On Nov 14, 2023
That you supported your brother financially to start his business doesn't mean you are a Co owner of the business. He owes you nothing officially but he can use his mind.

But you do have a case if you decide to pursue the matter for joint ownership of the property the company is located . So he should pay rent or royalty since the compound is a family compound. If properties get shared he will keep paying rent to the who ever inherits the compound. But if he inherits the compound case closed he can only compensate for past usage.

But the truth is comot eye for another man company. It was just financial support to start a project not joint partnership. If you brother support you financially to buy a car will he be a Co owner of the car ? No

3 Likes

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Mhizzard(m): 3:02pm On Nov 14, 2023
linearity:

Even without that, or even an agreement, the underlying base is that, the Source of the business is a family Compound and family-owned borehole, so at the minimum, he should be paying royalties back to the family.

Since the family out-numbered him, they could even vote him out legally and shut him from accessing the family borehole. A better advise is to setup a rival water company using the same borehole and compete directly with him....run him out of the market by producing quality products at a better price point, he will come back and beg.
there would be unsettle war till enternity
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by bashtee09(m): 3:16pm On Nov 14, 2023
ceejay80s:

And u have data to send us message?

I'm using operamini free daily browsing
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by ceejay80s(m): 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2023
bashtee09:

I'm using operamini free daily browsing

Please if you can help kindly assist
Me too need assistance, I need the opera mini free dail browsing

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by bashtee09(m): 3:25pm On Nov 14, 2023
ceejay80s:

Me too need assistance, I need the opera mini free dail browsing
If you have operamini on your phone and you using MTN, just on your data it will be going

Just that it has a daily limit
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by BananaPeel(m): 3:29pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kennitrust:
Straight to the point:

He is a selfish elder brother. The proceeds from the business must be shared equally and the property must not be shared. If it's must be shared, not with the property. I don't understand why siblings begin to act selfish when they grow old?
In this economy the idiot wan siddon ontop the profits.
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Nigga44: 3:31pm On Nov 14, 2023
Your brother is being unreasonable. Even though he owes you nothing (except the loan) when it comes to the proceeds from the operation of the business......he shouldn't forget that the business is still sited in the land that belongs to all of you! The water from which he runs the business still belongs to you all, untill your fathers property is shared among you. So by right he is supposed to atleast be paying some form of rent.

For me though, there is no need to fight him. Go listen to what he has to say......or better still talk to some elders in your community.

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by NoToPile: 3:33pm On Nov 14, 2023
Family, business and money - this mixture almost never ends well.

Check if you guys can request for royalties or something.

Lots of Nigerians are selfish shikena.

2 Likes

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Kennitrust(m): 3:39pm On Nov 14, 2023
gabbasin:
Says a lazy guy with sense of entitlement, better go find work to do or go establish your own Business. Your brother came up with an idea of venturing in a business in your family compound and you feel you are entitled to a percentage of his income, I doubt if yourself contribute a dime to assist him at the initial stage. Assuming your brother is lazy like you, he won't be where he is today. Go and find work to do so you can get yourself an income and stop harassing your brother.
if I wanted to make a full disclosure of what happened or goes on you will change your narrative.
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by mabea: 3:43pm On Nov 14, 2023
gabbasin:
Says a lazy guy with sense of entitlement, better go find work to do or go establish your own Business. Your brother came up with an idea of venturing in a business in your family compound and you feel you are entitled to a percentage of his income, I doubt if yourself contribute a dime to assist him at the initial stage. Assuming your brother is lazy like you, he won't be where he is today. Go and find work to do so you can get yourself an income and stop harassing your brother.
Lazy guy? You must be his brother.
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by olayinka63: 3:45pm On Nov 14, 2023
All of you saying he doesn't merited a share in the business profit are cruel. You are presenting everything in a formal way forgetting that the backbone of formal setting is an informal setting. At the beginning, they must have assisted their brother in many ways for the business to stand. These assistance comes in an informal setting. So a responsible brother should not treat the case in a formal setting, he should remember the way he was helped and then carved out a profit share for others.
And you people should know that if the elder brother is sick or something bad happened to him, the same family will be called for help. So if this same brother is successful, then he should share with his families.

3 Likes

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by EhiDPsalmist: 3:56pm On Nov 14, 2023
At this present time in my life, one thing I realised is that , na today we know nobody knows tomorrow. Make your brother tread carefully.

2 Likes

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by freeman67: 4:01pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kennitrust:
Straight to the point:

I don't understand ooo. This your statement is not too clear. What was the basis of your contribution to the business? Is that he asked you to contribute and promised to make you guys share holders or that he asked you guys to dash him money for his business as a family?
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Kennitrust(m): 4:21pm On Nov 14, 2023
freeman67:

I don't understand ooo. This your statement is not too clear. What was the basis of your contribution to the business? Is that he asked you to contribute and promised to make you guys share holders or that he asked you guys to dash him money for his business as a family?

one of my brothers made the idea but his business crashed The other elderly one too over and all of us support him financially plus using the compound as collateral to get loan from micro banks.

The business bourgeoning now and we are being kicked out. Water from our family soil. Our Oilwell! shocked
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by VIKTO83(m): 5:10pm On Nov 14, 2023
If I'm d one I'll support him to share d family property.
Then u make sure the position where d borehole or d factory is sited goes to another member of the family.
As per say in our culture (southern Nigeria) he who owns d land owns what's in it.
He will lose completely.
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by freeman67: 5:13pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kennitrust:
one of my brothers made the idea but his business crashed The other elderly one too over and all of us support him financially plus using the compound as collateral to get loan from micro banks.

The business bourgeoning now and we are being kicked out. Water from our family soil. Our Oilwell! shocked

Ok. While you it's glaring from your explanation that there is serious family support that aided the business to its present level, there don't seem to be anywhere it said that the financial/all other supports were loans to be repaid with interest or were investments as shareholders in the company.

What would have happened if the business was not successful? Like you guys contributed all the money he used, the family land as collateral to get money and the family borehole but at the end he didn't tend to the business and it died. I guess no one would have laid claims to anything. Thus, there is actually no legal claim to his profit. The best that can happen is would be maybe would have been to collect the family property from.

That said, he has to be considerate from his own end too as his business would not have picked without the family contributions. He should consider the sacrifice you guys made for his business. Ordinarily, as Africans, he should be able to tend to his siblings even if they didn't contribute and he has the means. Also he shouldn't have left the family property to decay. Knowing fully well that he been the major benefactor of it.

You will have to consider the above and also consider the fact that he used his time and energy to nurture the business to success. The business succeeded before he was dedicated and true to it.

2 Likes

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Pootle: 5:18pm On Nov 14, 2023
i see someone involve in juju im=n that family very soon

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by thatigboman: 5:35pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kennitrust:

if this his business had crashed like your other brother's own crashed, would you have come to ask for share of the loss.
He collected loan and placed family land as collateral. He collected loan or the family collected loan? Has he not been paying the loan or is it the family that has been paying the loan? Everything points out to the fact that he is the sole owner of the business. I personally have guaranteed loans for some people. If anything negative happens, the bank will hold me responsible to pay, but I'm not a co-owner of their businesses or assets.
The business is his business, he takes sole responsibility for its success or failure.
It's people that assist to startup a business, not meaning the people have a stake at its profit.
Rather than fighting him, u guys should sit down and talk, let him see reason why he should assist others as he was assisted. Dont make it a do or die that he must share his profit with you people.
Water is a universal resource. Shell even has more stake in the business than u. If they didn't sink the borehole, the business would not have started.

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by thatigboman: 5:50pm On Nov 14, 2023
olayinka63:
All of you saying he doesn't merited a share in the business profit are cruel. You are presenting everything in a formal way forgetting that the backbone of formal setting is an informal setting. At the beginning, they must have assisted their brother in many ways for the business to stand. These assistance comes in an informal setting. So a responsible brother should not treat the case in a formal setting, he should remember the way he was helped and then carved out a profit share for others.
And you people should know that if the elder brother is sick or something bad happened to him, the same family will be called for help. So if this same brother is successful, then he should share with his families.
formal or informal, business concepts and accounting principles have not changed for hundreds of years and the change will not start with this case.
He has no single stake in the business in any capacity.
If he wants to benefit from the business, he should apply and if accepted go and work there and be receiving salary.
If that business is on the verge of collapse, does the op have a stake in bringing money to pay off the creditors the business is owing?
Leave sickness. In life, when something happens, it's the family that will be called upon. The brother can be called up to assist his family members, not compelled to share the profits of his business with them.

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by NOETHNICITY(m): 5:56pm On Nov 14, 2023
Mhizzard:

now i believe.for a man To ripped his own family,there is assurance that he is capable of rip his partner in business.
What do you guys mean ‘ripped’ his family for godsake! Was there any agreement that it’s a family business?
I’ve read through the original write up to see if there is any talk of an agreement! But there is none.

If there was no agreement then nobody is entitled to anything! The only thing you people can do is to ask him to relocate his business out of their family house.

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Okpollo: 6:12pm On Nov 14, 2023
Mhizzard:

i agree about the CAC Idea.but for the signing agreement,it a business within the family cycle not outsider.
Now you have seen its not a family business but your elder brothers idea? Do you know how he managed to make the business a success? You think its just about contributing money , do you know the market competition he had o fight off to exterblish his own? You cant claim its family business, it would have been if either of your father or mother started it and asked your brother to manage it. Please dont fight for what is not yours , legally you will lose , traditionally you will lose idea is more than just funding. Dangote got grant from his uncle to start his business ,that is his idea not his uncle. Your brother in the other hand should assist the family to stand when things are not going on well for you guys, thats what i will do if i were him , because that is exactly what my brother would do too.
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by phemmyfour: 6:15pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kennitrust:
Straight to the point:

Without a signed previous agreement, you have no case

1 Like

Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Mase2020g(m): 6:36pm On Nov 14, 2023
Yes you have case.
Re: Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? by Kennitrust(m): 7:08pm On Nov 14, 2023
thatigboman:
if this his business had crashed like your other brother's own crashed, would you have come to ask for share of the loss.
He collected loan and placed family land as collateral. He collected loan or the family collected loan? Has he not been paying the loan or is it the family that has been paying the loan? Everything points out to the fact that he is the sole owner of the business. I personally have guaranteed loans for some people. If anything negative happens, the bank will hold me responsible to pay, but I'm not a co-owner of their businesses or assets.
The business is his business, he takes sole responsibility for its success or failure.
It's people that assist to startup a business, not meaning the people have a stake at its profit.
Rather than fighting him, u guys should sit down and talk, let him see reason why he should assist others as he was assisted. Dont make it a do or die that he must share his profit with you people.
Water is a universal resource. Shell even has more stake in the business than u. If they didn't sink the borehole, the business would not have started.
the monster you called MILITANTS WAS created by the greediness of the government who claims they have absolutes power over what comes out of people communities.

live and let live is the way forward to long life and properties.

If you take from me because you are stronger than me... There is always a Delilah to weaken Samson.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bride Price Wahala! / In One Word Describe The Relationship With Your Dad / Help!!! My Wife Is Ruining Our Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.