Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,067 members, 7,828,780 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments (27687 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / Man Laments As Best Friend Sleeping With His Wife Breaks His Bed (Video) / 10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by casualobserver: 12:39pm On Nov 18, 2023
tianshie:

It's called code-switching. And you can still tell his Nigerian accent from the way he stresses certain words. Absolutely nothing wrong in trying to blend in. I would be worried if he couldn't speak Nigerian English any longer or abandoned pidgin English.

It’s called inferiority complex. You don’t see whites who come to Nigeria change their accents, no matter how long they stay in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by GUNITGuy: 12:40pm On Nov 18, 2023
[quote author=Justnation post=127034556][/quote]
He's way of calling out his own Previous family on Social Media is wrong he's treading on a dangerous path ...You could have told them straight

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:40pm On Nov 18, 2023
maasoap:

One: he didn't claim he has capacity to do all that. Mikel has the capacity. That's a difference.
Two. The person who made the demand wasn't just someone you can tag "family". He's his father!
He did it in the past

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by SweetDipBenny(m): 12:40pm On Nov 18, 2023
Family is family..
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by DesChyko: 12:41pm On Nov 18, 2023
To be a man is not a day's job.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:41pm On Nov 18, 2023
maasoap:

No one can compel you to give if you don't want to give, that's a fact. But nothing bad if we give out the little we can afford. Thrashing your family members on air, that's low.
He even implied that people are marrying into his family because of him. He should have placed embargo on the rest of his family members not to marry now. grin grin grin Very ridiculous assertion

Bro, I agree with you that Mikel shouldn't have aired those dirty laundries out there... Honestly, I don't even know what he was thinking or what prompted that. I might have to go watch the entire interview and talk show to clarify.

Still, Black Tax is a real thing in Nigeria and Africa. It should stop.

We need to quit demonizing those who are wealthy and keep to themselves... It's not strange or new.

Instead of demanding handouts, why not create value that can be paid for... many of those demanding Black Tax don't even have the focus or ambition to better themselves... Ask them about life objectives or financial plans, and they will be staring at you moronically.

Na frustration make Obi Mikel vomit those things...! grin

At times, make the Poor dey allow the Rich breathe! tongue

6 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by SeriouslySense(m): 12:42pm On Nov 18, 2023
Its true, its better to ignore them, because its not natural or loving.

sometimes the family will have money but still want to collect from others, such greed and entitlement.

mariahAngel:
Mikel has had enough.

He has gotten to that point where he doesn't send anybody anymore. For him to speak out like this.
Africans and entitlement mentality are like🤞🏼

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by PopQueenAgency: 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:

It’s called inferiority complex

You're a provincial ignoramus with an opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2023
Angelfrost:

The basic reason why most working and earning young men and women can never grow to heights of wealth... Money meant for savings goes to giving to begging and entitled family members and friends every single month. It's preposterous.

The Church dey there too dey collect their share steadily.

😂😂👌💯
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2023
Karlifate:

You can see one of the reasons why the rich marry their class, even if the business union won't last. cheesy

I dey tell you...!

Some families you marry into, and you turn into family ATM.

I have seen guys and ladies double their hours of work, sleep less, and grow weary hustling just to meet up with family demands.

Funny and Ironically, if (or When) the person drops dead or goes broke, these same leeches will move on to other marks.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by SeriouslySense(m): 12:44pm On Nov 18, 2023
grin grin grin grin.

Its really leaching, better to say no to their demands.

That way of living is not sustainable, why cant everyone work for their money, and if they need support, it should not be parasitic but sensible and dignified.

People have to work and be sensible, choose good leaders, do sensible things as a community, and stop gang cultures. grin grin grin

Nobody should feel its their right to demand for things.
Angelfrost:

I dey tell you...!

I have seen guys and ladies double their hours of work, sleep less, and grow weary hustling just to meet up with family demands.

Funny and Ironically, if (or When) the person drops dead or goes broke, these same leeches will move on to other marks.

5 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Blankstare(m): 12:45pm On Nov 18, 2023
MadamExcellency:
If your family is not entitled to you especially your bloodlines, who will?

It is a blessing to be in the position of giving rather than receiving.

For me, family first (extended families and kinsmen).

What is the money meant for since we are going to be here forever?

The guy's intention is just like his fake accent. Never humble
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by casualobserver: 12:45pm On Nov 18, 2023
PopQueenAgency:

You're a provincial ignoramus with an opinion.

You are your I’ll are Africans with a slave mentality. You are not proud of who you are. That’s the o Lu reaso. Someone who left his country after the age of 16 when his accent is already formed will change his accent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2023
Angelfrost:

I dey tell you...!

💯

Worst still, they abandon the child(ren) of their ATM or turn them to slaves, disguised as househelps. cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by djseanjohn77: 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And it's your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some wealthy men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off in the future they can't sustain because the didn't empower family.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
Don't downplay family, family is everything

This is one of them, you will know from the time they open their mouth. They are greedy, they are leeches, they are evil, they want to run you down, and they don't care about you. No matter what you do for them, they will keep coming back. And all they do with the money you give to them is to impress other by throwing parties and clubbing, just to show people that they are related to a famous person. If you give them 10M today, they will come back in 3 months, they lack investment plans, even if they propose a business plan to you and you support them, they will still squander it, with the hope of getting more. They will blame witches, blame economy, blame bad business, everything is to be blamed but themselves.

With all the investments John Obi did for his families from his playing days, they were suppose to be established by now. But no, as per Nigeria, the list keeps expanding.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ponishah: 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

Stop comparing Mikel to Mane and compare Mikel to yourself or are you not a man like him?

Tell us how you have bought fleet of brand new buses for your family to manage a transport company.

Tell us how you have pumped in millions in funding, to set up a music recording company for your brother.

Tell us how you have funded your siblings luxurious lifestyles.
You are just chasing shadows.
You talked like a slowpoke that is acting wanna be. You go dry fail exams well.

The guy spoke well and you expressed your empty skull.
The sociology of Africa is a close knit family, that is why we don't patronize old people's home, we care for our families and our families care for us.
Sadie Mane, Miss Ahmed, George Wear, Kana Banjo and lots of successful people in Africa and the world over help family and strangers who need or seek for help.
Do you know how many HIV and malaria drugs that Bill Gate and a host of philanthropists have given free to your silly and and relatives?

Giving is not mandatory, it is a personal thing.
Some family members can be over demanding and lazy too, you use your initiative, that shouldn't stop you from being good to those who deserve it, family first.

I like Mikel as player but he is showing that what they said he did to 2face is believable.

Haha, Ahmed Miss dry help people outside his family o
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by AskNgige2: 12:48pm On Nov 18, 2023
Whalis:
Mikel wouldn't have become a player of repute without a family member introducing him to NFF. Here is Africa. You don't need to reciprocate good gestures on the person who helped you it might be another family member. A family member took Mikel's father to Jos. This is Africa.
I know him in person, he is naturally stingy guy

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by PopQueenAgency: 12:48pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:
I really dislike this guy. Are Nigerians the only footballers from poor backgrounds with family hanger-ons? Same thing happens with other African and South American footballers. They dont come on tv or radio selling out their own to please his white masters.

I don’t have a problem with what he said, I have a problem with him saying it to outsiders to get ratings.
O I has an inferiority complex with his stupid fake accent!

You need balls to say the emperor has no clothes. Someone gotta say it.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Hamburgfinest(m): 12:48pm On Nov 18, 2023
Yes your family owns you because when you die those people you think you belong to will dump your ass ,and your body will return to your family to be buried.Oh he think Nneni his own town is just a cemetery.Now I know he doesn’t have sense look at him in the interview forming British accent.This guy is just a fool at his age.Others use fame to promote his country,and fool is here criticising his family.Take a good look at Akon the rapper he’s impact on Senegal and Africa is second to none..Mike my foot
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ViktorCash: 12:49pm On Nov 18, 2023
once i become rich my family remains my wife,my mum and my children. Others can f*ck off! angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by casualobserver: 12:49pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

I am actually typing from my village stream.........in Cambridge. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

I am sure you have changed your name to a slave name too. You know I am right.

Let me tell you for the over 2 decades I spent in the Uk, I taught them how to pronounce my name. I would rather they pronounce it wrong than give me a name that isn’t mine or for me to change my name to please them.

All this just to change pampas for the elderly while they spit at you.

Despicable insecure slaves!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:50pm On Nov 18, 2023
gratefulheart:
Mikel Obi opened a transportation company with over 100 hiace buses for his father that plied on Jos to South east states..Guess what the Father squandered the resources

Mikel Obi spoilt Ebere Obi so much that he was driving BMW X6 to training while playing as a goal keeper for Rangers Enugu state as far back as 2010, Mikel so spoilt Ebere with wealth that he started disrespecting the coach and coaching crew at Rangers...He was always changing football team because of bad behaviour

Mikel Obi set up a record label for his brother that was an artist and funded it massively, Guess what he wasted those resources

If you are one of them blaming Mikel Obi for opening up before they kill him, kindly show us 5% of what you have done for your family that he did for his family?

Lazy arrogant proud people that want to be living large on other people sweat

Don't mind them. cheesy

It's on the internet, you'll see poor people teaching rich people how to spend their money.

They're so grounded in wealth formulas & strategies, yet unable to make their own money. LMAO! 🤣🤣🤣

6 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:51pm On Nov 18, 2023
SeriouslySense:
grin grin grin grin.

Its really leaching, better to say no to their demands.

That way of living is not sustainable, why cant everyone work for their money, and if they need support, it should not be parasitic but sensible and dignified.

People have to work and be sensible, choose good leaders, do sensible things as a community, and stop gang cultures. grin grin grin

Nobody should feel its their right to demand for things.

Sense and Dignity are very alien to most Nigerians right now... Smh!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by PopQueenAgency: 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:

You are your I’ll are Africans with a slave mentality. You are not proud of who you are. That’s the o Lu reaso. Someone who left his country after the age of 16 when his accent is already formed will change his accent.

This conversation is beyond your pay grade. Your very physical presence in this dialogue is an assault on common sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by grandstar(m): 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2023
modernWays:

Keep supporting the same mentality that made Nigeria and Africa at large a backwards society. If you had not been to western countries, you can make use of Google to comfirm how Liberal people think and behave over there.

People don't keep wealth, they consistently donate certain percentage of their incomes into various program and charities withiout being forced. They help their family members where it necessary. Alot of them even stay with their parents at old age. Here in Africa, the rich will never help their relative to be rich, even if they offer to assist, it would be on something they know cannot make him/her to be rich like them. Mikel is a foolish arrogant guy, his like will rather donate thousands of dollars to a charity in Russia than helping his family in abject poverty in Nigeria.

Honestly I don't know where the black people copied their self centered liberalism from.

Oyinbo are not like this.

They are actually more "stingy" than us. Their stinginess originates not necessarily out of cruelty but borne out of ignorance.

I had a distant cousin who my dad took to America when she was 7. This was a girl who only spoke the Ondo dialect. She's now an army doctor and even served in Iraq. She'll soon be 50.

Though she is grateful, she has never sent a dime home to my dad as that is not the culture there. Her mum may send money to bring all her 3 siblings to the States but that's her mum's culture.

Look at Barack Obama. I doubt he helped any of his kin to America. I doubt he did anything for Kenya. I doubt if he helped any set up businesses. I would die of shock if he sends monthly remittances to up to $200 to two of his relations.

If I earned half of what Mikel Obi was earning, I'll set up at least 20 of my relations. If any still fail, at least I know I did my best.

My dad, despite a lean purse, assisted many people. He hoped as he helped one branch of the family, they would help their immediate sibling. It worked for some but failed woefully for others.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Shikena(m): 12:55pm On Nov 18, 2023
They do. I've seen the influence of the local language on your accent in Nigeria, Brazil, UK and USA.

casualobserver:

It’s called inferiority complex. You don’t see whites who come to Nigeria change their accents, no matter how long they stay in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ExudeLoveToAll: 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

When you give each member of your family 500 million each n pay them salary at your active years. The moment you stop when you retire. Just know you are an enemy

The best is to make family members grow their own wealth and never fund any luxury lifestyle for any family members.

You can help create a startup with seed funds and help them grow the company and never fund their lifestyles it doesn't end well. The the business fund their lifestyles, this is a more sustainable approach.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:57pm On Nov 18, 2023
ViktorCash:
once i become rich my family remains my wife,my mum and my children. Others can f*ck off! angry

grin grin
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:58pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:

It is because you have never left your village and your inferiority complex that you cannot spot a fake accent. Kanu, okocha Okonjo Iweala for example and others have been abroad longer than him….they don’t have fake accents.

Once you grow up and spend your formative years in Nigeria, you have a Nigerian accent. If you start to speak with a foreign accent it is because you made a deliberate choice. Those who make a deliberate choice to change their accent do so because they are not proud of their accents, they feel a sense of inferiority, they are not proud of when they are.

I agree with you here... Except the person who got there as a child like the football player Victor Moses who was taken abroad when he was just 6.

Most Russians and other East Europeans can stay abroad for 40 years and still maintain their original accents... But you see a Nigerian who hasn't fully left Heathrow already faking one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by hstar: 1:01pm On Nov 18, 2023
Angelfrost:

On a thread like this, you still couldn't help yourself??! Seriously?!! undecided
Person wey Dem Don curse

Na mumu pple wey they send am money I blame the most

Bcoz if dem no dey send am money, how come he always come with the same format all the time, for more than two years.

And the moderators too should be blame.
The post should always be taken down immediately bcoz he is familiar here and pple do report him instantly.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by KingOfAmebo(m): 1:02pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

I used that brain to learn how the brain works and after being certified, now assessing how other people's brain works, is how I earn my daily bread......so make another attempt to "insult" me. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On a lighter note, I have had numerous psychiatric patients who I have worked with tell me your exact same words and I always jokingly replied them, working with you here in the psychiatric facility is me making use of my brain. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

DonBenny77 left the group chat....grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"You’re My Father" -Student; "No, I’m Not, Please" – Ex -lawmaker / Which Is Easier To Raise, Male Child Or Female Child? / My Husband Has Refused To Pay Back A N5m Loan I Got For Him – Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.