Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,211 members, 7,829,345 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments (27706 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / Man Laments As Best Friend Sleeping With His Wife Breaks His Bed (Video) / 10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Franzinni: 12:16pm On Nov 18, 2023
Add tribe oo
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 12:19pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

See the jobless people
Jobless people for opposing Mikel's belief? I think you are wrong. I disagree with Mikel and I'm not jobless. I don't even know how to ask but I believe that nothing wrong in helping people most especially when you have the means

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by gratefulheart(m): 12:20pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mikel Obi opened a transportation company with over 100 hiace buses for his father that plied on Jos to South east states..Guess what the Father squandered the resources

Mikel Obi spoilt Ebere Obi so much that he was driving BMW X6 to training while playing as a goal keeper for Rangers Enugu state as far back as 2010, Mikel so spoilt Ebere with wealth that he started disrespecting the coach and coaching crew at Rangers...He was always changing football team because of bad behaviour

Mikel Obi set up a record label for his brother that was an artist and funded it massively, Guess what he wasted those resources

If you are one of them blaming Mikel Obi for opening up before they kill him, kindly show us 5% of what you have done for your family that he did for his family?

Lazy arrogant proud people that want to be living large on other people sweat

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by modernWays: 12:21pm On Nov 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
Mikel has had enough.

He has gotten to that point where he doesn't send anybody anymore. For him to speak out like this.
Africans and entitlement mentality are like🤞🏼

Keep supporting the same mentality that made Nigeria and Africa at large a backwards society. If you had not been to western countries, you can make use of Google to comfirm how Liberal people think and behave over there.

People don't keep wealth, they consistently donate certain percentage of their incomes into various program and charities withiout being forced. They help their family members where it necessary. Alot of them even stay with their parents at old age. Here in Africa, the rich will never help their relative to be rich, even if they offer to assist, it would be on something they know cannot make him/her to be rich like them. Mikel is a foolish arrogant guy, his like will rather donate thousands of dollars to a charity in Russia than helping his family in abject poverty in Nigeria.

Honestly I don't know where the black people copied their self centered liberalism from.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 12:21pm On Nov 18, 2023
ezechi24:
It's his family ...he shouldn't generalize it.....besides if he is the richest in the family, what stops him from elevating the rest, there's a reason why you were wealthy and your wealth isn't meant for you alone, you have to help the rest to a certain level so they don't always come for help, when I say help I don't mean giving them 50 thousand and you'd think you've done the world for them, yes it's a thing of choice, but only one tree can not make a forest.
How would he be able to continue oppressing them if they don't have need to beg him anymore for 50k? Africans like to oppress now, he just wouldn't admit it

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:22pm On Nov 18, 2023
maasoap:

Was that too much of his father to ask? How many weeks wages of his would that be? When you're not a generous type, you're not. Even your parents would be asking themselves their sins against you. grin grin grin

That's not the point...!

Entitlement is WRONG!

It's funny how many Naija guys slam and bash ladies for being lazy and entitled bitches, but many of these guys fall under the category Mikel is talking about.

Generosity is not unique to everyone, and it doesn't make anyone better than the other... Virtue is good, but it should not be compelled.

Nigerians should quit trying to teach or tell people how to spend their money, or whom to give it to.

Read up the term "Black Tax".

7 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Chetas81(m): 12:22pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And is your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some rich men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
Don't downplay family, family is everything
HHHHMMM POOR CULTURE POOR ORIENTATION, MAKE SOMEONE BELIEVE THAT, THEY MUST BE LIABILITY TO OTHERS IN THE NAME OF FAMILY, THAT IS WHY MANY BIG GUYS IN NIGERIA CANNOT AFFORD TO BUILD COMPANY AND CREATE JOBS, SOME FAMILY WILL KILLED THE BUSINESS

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by WantsandMore: 12:23pm On Nov 18, 2023
The problem with rich folks is, they quickly forget the family dynamics in Africa especially after living off abroad for a long time,there's this delusional culture shock you experience out there and desperately want it happening to you which is impossible, you don't because you've giving in the past say that's enough, I'm not supporting the overbearing nature of most Africans I'm just saying once you make it out, every kind gesture must come at your discretion knowing fully well that it never ends as far as you're endowed, you've to be able to quickly adapts to the communal lifestyle politics,manipulation and what-not to keep a stable & balanced relationship trust you don't want to be on every dick & Harry bad side, so to play the game you've to get like a yearly budget or something, it's okay to say you can't afford it, It's okay to say some other times, resist the urge to give large sums of money, gifts or whatever at a go, trust me as givers never lack takers always ask.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Ungodly: 12:23pm On Nov 18, 2023
Takers will not get tired of taking, billers will not get tired of billing…It’s not such a bad thing to be the black sheep of the family.

Instead of the so called family to channel the money they are getting from you to some business so they can be financially stable themselves, they will not but squander it at W bar and quillox with the mindset that you’re Mikel Obi… his father was kidnapped three times, it makes sense now.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:24pm On Nov 18, 2023
And if you don't yield to their [unnecessary] demands, they'll quote 1st Timothy 5:8 for you. cheesy

LMAO! 🤣🤣🤣
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 12:24pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:
I really dislike this guy. Are Nigerians the only footballers from poor backgrounds with family hanger-ons? Same thing happens with other African and South American footballers. They dont come on tv or radio selling out their own to please his white masters.

I don’t have a problem with what he said, I have a problem with him saying it to outsiders to get ratings.
O I has an inferiority complex with his stupid fake accent!

Someone who started playing football in Europe in 2004 and lived outside Nigeria since then, is who you are accusing of fake accent... go collect your medicine and stop yapping nonsense.

9 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by stanliwise(m): 12:25pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And is your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some rich men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
Don't downplay family, family is everything
Stop diverting attention bro. If an adult can't take care of him/her self. the blame should start from him/her self first.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:26pm On Nov 18, 2023
Focusmind:
I could not agree more with him. Well stated, especially from my own experience. You will see those family members that are asking for help breeding kids like rabbits. Once dem born, they will call you for support. It is terrible! One even had the boldness to call for money to do 75th birthday celebration for his mum....someone that have not been able to pay his kids school fees wants to do owambe party for his mum.

Later, he'll attend crusade to cast & bind "evil spirit" fighting his finances. grin

Whereas, he's the "evil spirit" in question. cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by casualobserver: 12:26pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

Someone who started playing football in Europe in 2004 and lived outside Nigeria since then, is who you are accusing of fake accent... go collect your medicine and stop yapping nonsense.

It is because you have never left your village and your inferiority complex that you cannot spot a fake accent. Kanu, okocha Okonjo Iweala for example and others have been abroad longer than him….they don’t have fake accents.

Once you grow up and spend your formative years in Nigeria, you have a Nigerian accent. If you start to speak with a foreign accent it is because you made a deliberate choice. Those who make a deliberate choice to change their accent do so because they are not proud of their accents, they feel a sense of inferiority, they are not proud of when they are.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Chetas81(m): 12:27pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

When you give each member of your family 500 million each n pay them salary at your active years. The moment you stop when you retire. Just know you are an enemy
YOUR COMMENT WEIGHT 2000 KG , FOR THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 12:29pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:

It is because you have never left your village and your inferiority complex that you cannot spot a fake accent.

I am actually typing from my village stream.........in Cambridge. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:30pm On Nov 18, 2023
Jcomtrader:

thats how i bought my sibs cars and got them new places to live. the seconds they heard i had issues, you have to hear what came out from the mouth of people i was buying cars for and paying their rent and kids fees
this world i can never go out to impress any family member again

They will be the first to avoid you & tell it to other people who cares to listen, how you spend lavishly 😂 like say tomorrow no dey 🤣🤣

4 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 12:30pm On Nov 18, 2023
Angelfrost:

That's not the point...!

Entitlement is WRONG!

It's funny how many Naija guys slam and bash ladies for being lazy and entitled bitches, but many of these guys fall under the category Mikel is talking about.

Generosity is not unique to everyone, and it doesn't make anyone better than the other... Virtue is good, but it should not be compelled.

Nigerians should quit trying to teach or tell people how to spend their money, or whom to give it to.

Read up the term "Black Tax".
No one can compel you to give if you don't want to give, that's a fact. But nothing bad if we give out the little we can afford. Thrashing your family members on air, that's low.
He even implied that people are marrying into his family because of him. He should have placed embargo on the rest of his family members not to marry now. grin grin grin Very ridiculous assertion
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by tianshie(m): 12:30pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

Stop comparing Mikel to Mane and compare Mikel to yourself or are you not a man like him?

Tell us how you have bought fleet of brand new buses for your family to manage a transport company.

Tell us how you have pumped in millions in funding, to set up a music recording company for your brother.

Tell us how you have funded your siblings luxurious lifestyles.

Don't mind the emilokan cockroach.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Hamburgfinest(m): 12:31pm On Nov 18, 2023
This mikel Obi is just Oyibo wana be.Just because he married to Oyibo that’s why he’s sounding like this.In Nigeria most especially in Igbo land that we came from we’re our brothers keepers.No matter who you are your family always there for you,both poor or rich.So if God made you above all,you should not complain,you must take the mantle and help others,because we don’t have social welfare system like the western world.in Igbo land it is a must or the family and friends will start avoiding you believe that your wealth is not genuine.I know a man from his home town called TONIMAS may his soul rest in peace.He developed their town called Nneni tare every nuke and crany in their community.Who is Mikel Obi?He‘s just a wasted element in that community for saying this trash,how many people has he made?I know cos am from their nebouring community.Obi must apologise to his family and Nneni at large or he will remain a lost child forever.A great man in Igbo land is how many people your wealth impacted and change they’re life for good..I doubt that mike is fully blooded Igbo man.look at his name mikel in not even an English name.Somebody tell him we’re Africans ,we’re our brothers keepers….mikel my foot

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:32pm On Nov 18, 2023
Angelfrost:
Yeah... The struggle of an average young Nigerian and African man.

At times, it feels like it's a crime to succeed in any way.

The entitlement mentality of most low-income earners and poor people in this part of the globe is atrocious.

You can see one of the reasons why the rich marry their class, even if the business union won't last. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by GUNITGuy: 12:33pm On Nov 18, 2023
It's a season it would pass they would stop disturbing you sooner or later and might start to Hate you please be careful to the point of wishing your death or downfall ask Okocha his family said he would never win Africas best player and he didn't....
But remember say a Man's enemies are those of his own household...
Your family is proud to have you ...
It's wealth disparity gap problem in Africa every society has it ...
The west are not also free from such too but the government tax the Rich to Pay child support, Unemployment benefits, Elderly homes that's why you Mikel can walk in the streets of Europe without anyone asking you for money....
You can travel at night alone without body guards..
Don't drag your family on social media it's not ok ...
They would definitely find their way with or without you
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by grandstar(m): 12:33pm On Nov 18, 2023
There's this relation that stays with me. He seems very entitled.

Just 2 days ago, he complained that he asked his brother in England for a phone to give his son and he didn't send one. He was disappointed.

I told him that second hand phones in England cost more there than here. That if someone sends a phone, its either one he isn't using again or buys it expensively. All those so so called London used phones are usually refurbished phones from China.

He is upset his brother brought his stepson to England but has dragged his feet in helping a nephew of his. He has no option. His stepson became part of his responsibility once he married his mother.

7 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 12:33pm On Nov 18, 2023
maasoap:

One: he didn't claim he has capacity to do all that. Mikel has the capacity. That's a difference.
Two. The person who made the demand wasn't just someone you can tag "family". He's his father!

If you had an elder sibling who bought 10 brand new buses for your dad to manage a transport business, will you and your other siblings have any excuse to struggle financially, years later?

5 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by tianshie(m): 12:35pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:

It is because you have never left your village and your inferiority complex that you cannot spot a fake accent. Kanu, okocha Okonjo Iweala for example and others have been abroad longer than him….they don’t have fake accents.

Once you grow up and spend your formative years in Nigeria, you have a Nigerian accent. If you start to speak with a foreign accent it is because you made a deliberate choice. Those who make a deliberate choice to change their accent do so because they are not proud of their accents, they feel a sense of inferiority, they are not proud of when they are.

It's called code-switching. And you can still tell his Nigerian accent from the way he stresses certain words. Absolutely nothing wrong in trying to blend in. I would be worried if he couldn't speak Nigerian English any longer or abandoned pidgin English.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:35pm On Nov 18, 2023
modernWays:

Keep supporting the same mentality that made Nigeria and Africa at large a backwards society. If you had not been to western countries, you can make use of Google to comfirm how Liberal people think and behave over there.

People don't keep wealth, they consistently donate certain percentage of their incomes into various program and charities withiout being forced. They help their family members where it necessary. Alot of them even stay with their parents at old age. Here in Africa, the rich will never help their relative to be rich, even if they offer to assist, it would be on something they know cannot make him/her to be rich like them. Mikel is a foolish arrogant guy, his like will rather donate thousands of dollars to a charity in Russia than helping his family in abject poverty in Nigeria.

Honestly I don't know where the black people copied their self centered liberalism from.

You are not being objective... Europeans are not more magnanimous than Africans. Abeg, kill that nonsense from your head.

Are you aware that Africans, especially Nigerians are regarded as the Begging Bowl of the Universe??! DO you know what that implies??!

Do you know what Entitlement Mindset means??! Do you know how many of our people refuse to wake up and do creative things just because they believe those older than they are and succeeding will bankroll their lives?!!

Most Nigerians beg a lot! Airport Staff, Police, Army, even Clergymen, young ladies, guys, etc... Corporate begging has taken off in Nigeria... Do you see such abroad??!

So, don't just attack those who work hard and succeed, and keep to themselves... What about the ones who think or believe wealthy people should compulsorily cater to their needs and even greed??!

This is the genesis of the nation's economic problems: SUBSIDY!

This same entitlement mentality made states do nothing creatively to attract investors and boost exports... Everyone demands cheap commodities and a tax-free existence.

The consequence of such handouts (Subsidies)??! Well... Look at your nation's debt profile.

I have relatives far wealthier than I am, and the only thing I ever tell them is Hi... I never begrudge them their money or resources no matter how infinite they seem. I have way too much dignity and self-respect to stoop that low.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Akharmony: 12:35pm On Nov 18, 2023
Nah when you big family they know you o

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 12:35pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

If you had an elder sibling who bought 10 brand new buses for your dad to manage a transport business, will you and your other siblings have any excuse to struggle financially, years later?
No. I started with two mini buses 5 years ago. I know where I'm today, better.
Nothing stop him helping the siblings too. Not saying he didn't because I didn't have details.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Justnation: 12:36pm On Nov 18, 2023
[quote author=DyshApp post=127026414]Former Chelsea star, Mikel Obi, has stirred reactions online following an attack against demanding family members that act entitled.

In an interview with fellow football player Rio Ferdinand, the former captain of the Super Eagles bemoaned the fact that, in Africa, families frequently have the right to inherit an individual’s wealth.

Video:https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/1725199091146096677?t=V8XwUnfMWuCSb-JMaBXMvw&s=19

According to him, when an African person gets money, many cousins and relatives start to make demands, and some of sisters married men who just wanted to related to him because of his status.

The football player said that he sometimes had to be tough and set aside his personal demands since these people have so many children and need him to take care of them.

Mikel Obi stated that these extended family members believe he owes them money and threaten to go to the press if he refuses. It is prevalent in Africa, according to the football player.

[b]In his words;

“When you come from Africa, when you make money, it’s not your money. You have all these relatives, cousins, and your sisters go off and get married to some guy who just wants to get married into Mikel John Obi’s family because his life is sorted, and then you start looking after this guy, and before you know it, they keep having so many kids and you look at it like,

‘Okay, you’re having this many kids, who are going to look after them?’ It’s you! It’s the culture because, for them, you owe them that, so sometimes you have to be strong and say, ‘You know what, guys, enough is enough; I don’t care’. They give you this thing whereby ‘if you don’t do it, we’re going to go to the press’. After all, what have I done for you guys? But this happens a lot in Africa. Not everybody comes out and spe

Mikel you can say this because you made it, if not you have also done what those your relatives are doing if not worse.
I can imagine when you where young some of these people catered for you, some of them bought your boots, paid to register you at the academy, gave you food and stipend, contributed money for your flight tickets, visa and others.
Don't behave as if you came out of your mother's womb and became a billionaire, those your sister's you are now embarrassing publicly to score cheap points cleaned your puppy, bath you and escorted you to school to ensure you became the Mikel Obi you are today. PLEASE MY BROTHER DON'T FORGET YESTERDAY, THE LITTLE THEY DID FOR YOU YESTERDAY WHEN YOU DESPERATELY NEEDED THEM IS EQUAL TO THE MUCH YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING FOR THEM TODAY.
This is mother Africa help those you can help. Even some individuals in the community spend millions building public institutions and giving scholarship just to give back to the society were they came from not to talk of your own family and relatives.
Don't castigate them in public forum like this, simply do what you can and leave the rest and if you are too miserly to give just forget them, leave them in peace and be a one tree forest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by GUNITGuy: 12:37pm On Nov 18, 2023
Hamburgfinest:
This mikel Obi is just Oyibo wana be.Just because he married to Oyibo that’s why he’s sounding like this.In Nigeria most especially in Igbo land that we came from we’re our brothers keepers.No matter who you are your family always there for you,both poor or rich.So if God made you above all,you should not complain,you must take the mantle and help others,because we don’t have social welfare system like the western world.in Igbo land it is a must or the family and friends will start avoiding you believe that your wealth is not genuine.I know a man from his home town called TONIMAS may his soul rest in peace.He developed their town called Nneni tare every nuke and crany in their community.Who is Mikel Obi?He‘s just a wasted element in that community for saying this trash,how many people has he made?I know cos am from their nebouring community.Obi must apologise to his family and Nneni at large or he will remain a lost child forever.A great man in Igbo land is how many people your wealth impacted and change they’re life for good..I doubt that mike is fully blooded Igbo man.look at his name mikel in not even an English name.Somebody tell him we’re Africans ,we’re our brothers keepers….mikel my foot
He's saying trash it's an Ibo thing unlike Yorubas .,.
The Europe is talking about he doesn't know we're most of the Taxes he's paying is going to unemployment benefits, child supports, Homeless, Education opportunity and Health care people regulated by the government...
Thats why they are not disturbing unlike Nigeria There's absolutely nothing like that people needs a helping hand at some point to get ahead ....
God would bless the works of our hands and not to depend on any Man or woman to Live eat or survive in Jesus name Amen

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karlifate: 12:38pm On Nov 18, 2023
MadamExcellency:
If your family is not entitled to you especially your bloodlines, who will?

It is a blessing to be in the position of giving rather than receiving.

For me, family first (extended families and kinsmen).

What is the money meant for since we are going to be here forever?

If you like, don't put your children first.

The same "kinsmen" will turn them to househelp if you mistakenly kpai & if your wife ain't financially strong enough to sustain them. cheesy

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Husband Has Refused To Pay Back A N5m Loan I Got For Him – Wife / "You Can't Be A Feminist And A Christian" - Reno Omokri / 10 Pains Of The Nigerian Bachelor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.