Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments (27620 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / Man Laments As Best Friend Sleeping With His Wife Breaks His Bed (Video) / 10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:59am On Nov 18, 2023
I have always suspected dis guy to be a notorious akagum somebody!

Wetin him dey complain about now?
Would he have preferred he doesn't have at all to give anybody?

Him nor knw say all family members dey always pray for each other make any of dem make am in life?

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Hussein035: 11:59am On Nov 18, 2023
ezechi24:
It's his family ...he shouldn't generalize it.....besides if he is the richest in the family, what stops him from elevating the rest, there's a reason why you were wealthy and your wealth isn't meant for you alone, you have to help the rest to a certain level so they don't always come for help, when I say help I don't mean giving them 50 thousand and you'd think you've done the world for them, yes it's a thing of choice, but only one tree can not make a forest.

Obi has not helped his family, he has only give them money. With the kind of wealth Obi has I believe it is enough to establish even 20 of his siblings with 5 million naira each and tell them not to ask him for money again and definitely Obi will not feel he has spent money unless he decided to pretend there's no money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Guyman01: 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
Favybliss:
please guys, please don't just scroll and pass, please I've tried to get little help here to no avail, please I beg you in the name of Almighty GOD pls, If any good samaritan can please help me, no matter how little so we can buy foodstuff and cook, I will be very happy. my daughter and I we are starving. Please help us the last time we ate a good food was from our neighbor on  sunday. Since then we have surviving on drinking garri since Monday and the garri we use to have hope has finished. the little money I have I used it to pay for house rent so that we can at least have roof over our head. am pleading for help please, not for my sake but for my daughter please am a single mother. No matter how little it will go a long way to help us. Almighty God bless you

Acct num with faith
G.TBank
My name is Angela Oyom. Almighty God bless you and your family
See one of them here

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
Favybliss:
please guys, please don't just scroll and pass, please I've tried to get little help here to no avail, please I beg you in the name of Almighty GOD pls, If any good samaritan can please help me, no matter how little so we can buy foodstuff and cook, I will be very happy. my daughter and I we are starving. Please help us the last time we ate a good food was from our neighbor on  sunday. Since then we have surviving on drinking garri since Monday and the garri we use to have hope has finished. the little money I have I used it to pay for house rent so that we can at least have roof over our head. am pleading for help please, not for my sake but for my daughter please am a single mother. No matter how little it will go a long way to help us. Almighty God bless you

Acct num with faith
G.TBank
My name is Angela Oyom. Almighty God bless you and your family

On a thread like this, you still couldn't help yourself??! Seriously?!! undecided

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by harkolat(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
Quite true. Nobody owes one anything. With making moves to better version of oneself everyday.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by MichaelSokoto(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
Focusmind:
I could not agree more with him. Well stated, especially from my own experience. You will see those family members that are asking for help breeding kids like rabbits. Once dem born, they will call you for support. It is terrible! One even had the boldness to call for money to do 75th birthday celebration for his mum....someone that have not been able to pay his kids school fees wants to do owambe party for his mum.
Akagum!

if u have give, if u nor get, don't sweat over it!
cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
Bliss62:
His very own father demanded a transport business with new busses
Was that too much of his father to ask? How many weeks wages of his would that be? When you're not a generous type, you're not. Even your parents would be asking themselves their sins against you. grin grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by MadamExcellency: 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
If your family is not entitled to you especially your bloodlines, who will?

It is a blessing to be in the position of giving rather than receiving.

For me, family first (extended families and kinsmen).

What is the money meant for since we are going to be here forever?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Bliss62: 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2023
maasoap:

Was that too much of his father to ask? How many weeks wages of his would that be? When you're not a generous type, you're not. Even your parents would be asking themselves their sins against you. grin grin grin

Calculate the cost of 10 new busses... or even 5, hummer bus ooo, not to talk of building or renting a space
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Redhot111(m): 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2023
That's for him. For me, it's not like that at all. I appreciate my mum and she in turn appreciate my little. Same goes for all my siblings. There is never this entitlement syndrome. Best family there could be is what I got.

5 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Redhot111(m): 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2023
That's for him. For me, it's not like that at all. I appreciate my mum and she in turn appreciate my little. Same goes for all my siblings. There is never this op syndrome. Best family there could be is what I got.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And is your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some rich men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
Don't downplay family, family is everything

Nah... Mikel has done and is still doing awesomely for his family. I know this for a fact, except you are talking about something or people beyond family.

With regard to Mane, everyone is not philanthropic and should never be compelled to do so... Philanthropy is not a function of wealth. Mane has been helping his people long before he became wealthy and successful... He even said they sponsored him abroad by contributing massively.

Mikel doesn't owe anyone outside his immediate family a damn thing! Period!

Let's cut out this poor habit of calling people stingy just because they don't throw money around. It makes no sense.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 12:05pm On Nov 18, 2023
Focusmind:
I could not agree more with him. Well stated, especially from my own experience. You will see those family members that are asking for help breeding kids like rabbits. Once dem born, they will call you for support. It is terrible! One even had the boldness to call for money to do 75th birthday celebration for his mum....someone that have not been able to pay his kids school fees wants to do owambe party for his mum.
He doesn't like to give back to the society, he doesn't like to help, that's all. We have some of his colleagues helping their entire villages, communities, they don't even limit the help to their family members alone.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Bluffly: 12:06pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And is your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some rich men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
Please, please, helping family is a different thing. Multiplying the burden on one person is another. You don't keep giving birth expecting someone else to come and take care of the family size you keep growing. You don't sit tight and believe you have to remain lazy and keep feeding off one person to keep working his ass off for you. It is wrong absolutely insane

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by uniquetechng: 12:06pm On Nov 18, 2023
ezechi24:
It's his family ...he shouldn't generalize it.....besides if he is the richest in the family, what stops him from elevating the rest, there's a reason why you were wealthy and your wealth isn't meant for you alone, you have to help the rest to a certain level so they don't always come for help, when I say help I don't mean giving them 50 thousand and you'd think you've done the world for them, yes it's a thing of choice, but only one tree can not make a forest.
if you lived in Jos you would have known how much he has invested in that family, especially the fleet of luxurious buses he bought to setup a transport company for the father.
His siblings lives flamboyant lifestyles and they are well known in Jos, you can ask anyone who lived or still lives in Jos.

11 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Fiscus105(m): 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2023
nedekid:
While he said is true talk no doubt, but he should also put himself in their shoes, what if he was the relative and his eg brother was the sucessful one?

Before u take responsibilities that are more than what you can bear, think twice ok.

U born more than you can take care and expecting someone to come and feed them for you because he is rich and related to you? That's pure nonsensical!

Money that man owns, he has obligation for his wife, kids and parents. Any other person is secondary oga.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Kossyso: 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2023
His f*cking opinion and doesn't count!
God blessed you to bless others!

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mrfeel: 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2023
useni1:
The family institution should be abolished. The interest of others and humanity should come first before yours or any useless family members

What you said here doesn't make sense, please read what you wrote again

Abolish family ? What is family

The interest of others and humanity should come first before family

Who are the others if I may ask ? And is family not part of humanity?
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:08pm On Nov 18, 2023
Whalis:
Mikel wouldn't have become a player of repute without a family member introducing him to NFF. Here is Africa. You don't need to reciprocate good gestures on the person who helped you it might be another family member. A family member took Mikel's father to Jos. This is Africa.

So??! Virtue rewards itself.

That someone was helped shouldn't put him under compulsion to help another... I have helped so many people, and never expect or demand a damn thing from them. Besides, it's not like you ended or sold up your life's work to help the person.

Do your good, and leave the beneficiary to decide how, when or if he will show gratitude or repay.

Entitlement is too much in this part of the world, and it makes no sense.

This is why many young men run away from home and their communities.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by SALLYBERRY01(m): 12:08pm On Nov 18, 2023
Ok
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by LordBillionz: 12:09pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Shut up

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ufotunang: 12:09pm On Nov 18, 2023
Do not blame them...na renewed shege cause am 🙄

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 12:09pm On Nov 18, 2023
Bliss62:

Calculate the cost of 10 new busses... or even 5, hummer bus ooo, not to talk of building or renting a space
When was that again? Like ages ago! Even nowadays, you think 5 to 10 hummer buses is too much to establish his own father? He doesn't need to buy new buses, Toks are perfectly okay.
Now, calculate the cost of 10 new or Toks of hummer buses and the space to use as motor park, and tell me if it is up to his two weeks wages. For your own parent!
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:10pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

When you give each member of your family 500 million each n pay them salary at your active years. The moment you stop when you retire. Just know you are an enemy

It is so sad and annoying...!

Some even fold their hands, and wait on the young man or woman for monthly stipends like it's their entitlement or inheritance by law.

This is why I have had to seriously thin down my circle of close associates in the last decade.

Normally, I despise begging and beggars... But, to go beyond begging to making demands or laying claims to portions of my wealth?!! That's abominable!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by dharamanil(m): 12:11pm On Nov 18, 2023
Talking about family like this with earnings of 500millon In a week. I read somewhere, stop dashing family money rather set them up.

Sisters and cousins education outta the country so they can continue their life from there other setup avenue. Well na you get money sha and na you get family sha. So you can talk as you like. Money dey finish na family dey remain oooo,

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Jpblessed(m): 12:14pm On Nov 18, 2023
Words of a stingy man

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 12:14pm On Nov 18, 2023
Welrez:
This culture has a hand in why Africans don't save enough to invest, and why a lot of investments go into ruins!

The basic reason why most working and earning young men and women can never grow to heights of wealth... Money meant for savings goes to giving to begging and entitled family members and friends every single month. It's preposterous.

The Church dey there too dey collect their share steadily.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by jojothaiv(m): 12:14pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

I used that brain to learn how the brain works and after being certified, now assessing how other people's brain works, is how I earn my daily bread......so make another attempt to "insult" me. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On a lighter note, I have had numerous psychiatric patients who I have worked with tell me your exact same words and I always jokingly replied them, working with you here in the psychiatric facility is me making use of my brain. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Apt!

Ethically, you full ground.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by judedwriter(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
Wealth and riches don't last forever....

They can grow wings and fly away when you least expect.

Hope mikel invested his football money well.

As for the family entitlement mentality which he's complaining about, it's a personal thing o.

Nobody can force you to help your folks.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Quebec91(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
Factorial 👌
DyshApp:
Former Chelsea star, Mikel Obi, has stirred reactions online following an attack against demanding family members that act entitled.

In an interview with fellow football player Rio Ferdinand, the former captain of the Super Eagles bemoaned the fact that, in Africa, families frequently have the right to inherit an individual’s wealth.

Video:https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/1725199091146096677?t=V8XwUnfMWuCSb-JMaBXMvw&s=19

According to him, when an African person gets money, many cousins and relatives start to make demands, and some of sisters married men who just wanted to related to him because of his status.

The football player said that he sometimes had to be tough and set aside his personal demands since these people have so many children and need him to take care of them.

Mikel Obi stated that these extended family members believe he owes them money and threaten to go to the press if he refuses. It is prevalent in Africa, according to the football player.

In his words;

“When you come from Africa, when you make money, it’s not your money. You have all these relatives, cousins, and your sisters go off and get married to some guy who just wants to get married into Mikel John Obi’s family because his life is sorted, and then you start looking after this guy, and before you know it, they keep having so many kids and you look at it like,

‘Okay, you’re having this many kids, who are going to look after them?’ It’s you! It’s the culture because, for them, you owe them that, so sometimes you have to be strong and say, ‘You know what, guys, enough is enough; I don’t care’. They give you this thing whereby ‘if you don’t do it, we’re going to go to the press’. After all, what have I done for you guys? But this happens a lot in Africa. Not everybody comes out and speaks about it.”

Is this true😂

Follow up with more Relationship Topic on Relationship Talk Loung(link)
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Okechinwadike: 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
it depends, if you are capable of helping someone even if it is not your family member, as long as you ve seen the potential in the person you do it. one of the reasons why God gave you excess is to reach out to people you are better than, you must not enjoy your money only you, talk more of your family members. though there is something Mikel said there that makes sense to me, he said the will start to have more children in the name of their brother is rich and all will depend on you, HMMM is somehow though

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

Stop comparing Mikel to Mane and compare Mikel to yourself or are you not a man like him?

Tell us how you have bought fleet of brand new buses for your family to manage a transport company.

Tell us how you have pumped in millions in funding, to set up a music recording company for your brother.

Tell us how you have funded your siblings luxurious lifestyles.
One: he didn't claim he has capacity to do all that. Mikel has the capacity. That's a difference.
Two. The person who made the demand wasn't just someone you can tag "family". He's his father!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Please How Do I Handle This With My Wife And Her Brother. / Francis Van-lare's Third Marriage Collapses 7 Months After / He Lost His Job, His Wife Left Him By Joseph edgar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.