Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,080 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy (2497 Views)

How Government Policies Is Killing My Business / This Debt Is Killing Me How Can I Regain My Freedom And Reputation? / Rochas Okorocha And The Road To 2023: Is It Indeed Southeast Turn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 6:01pm On Nov 28, 2023
Hotels are springing up at every turn in alaigbo. Ibo businessmen prefer to set up an hotel than establish a factory. Creating employment oppourtunities for the teeming ibo youths is of a less priority than the foreign currencies those abroad are coming to town to spend. Almost 60% of SE economy is driven by hotels, 30% by markets while 10% by local industry. Believe it or not, ibos abroad and majority in Lagos would rather lodge in an hotel than sleep in their private or family house, the fear of the unknown, the wandering eyes of the village people, the wicked family members and the fear of jealous neighbors are some of the factors that push the visitors to the comfort zone of an hotel. They are ready to spend any amount as far as their safety is guaranteed and their privacy from the pressures of family and friends. At some point, hotel business were booming but not anymore. In recent years, insecurity has pulled a dark cloud over the south east region which has inturn affected the revenues of hotels.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 6:01pm On Nov 28, 2023
CONT;
As a matter of fact, ibos resident in Lagos, SW, North and abroad who frequent home at least thrice or twice a year have all deserted home in the wake of insecurity. About 3years now, many have not visited their villages for fear of being killed or kidnapped by Igbos. While ibos are deserting the region, lots of hotels are lying in waste, hotel owners are busy counting their loses. State Governors are as a result, generating lower IGR each year, hotels generates more IGR to State Governors than the local markets and low number of local factories. In the midst of this challenge, ibo businessmen need to be more creative rather than put their eggs in one basket building more hotels. South east is in dire need of manufacturing companies to inorder to revive the economy of southeast. SE must give incentives to willing investors, go out and woo them than sitting down in their office. Overdependence on hotels and petty trading would only keep killing the SE economy.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by 1TrippleCee: 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2023
Not just south east. Nigeria at large. I have cried and cried over this same situation. I have gotten tired.

The devil that gives the hotel owners the money doesnt want them inspired in positive direction to rather setup produtive instituitions.

Satan their master doesnt want his momey invested in " Light " .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Blakjewelry(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2023
Lol come to my location in delta state and see, Infact the most popular businesses are hotel's, petrol station and eatery.

2 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by eepeepook: 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2023
Make your own money and spend it your own way. Hotels create employment so far as I’m concerned. Let’s see you do the same.
Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by osuofia2(m): 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2023
Nnamdi Kanu don even scatter the booming hotel in the SE. Owerri is now a shadow of itself due to sit at home

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by nedu666: 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2023
Pakute:
Hotels are springing up at every turn in alaigbo. Ibo businessmen prefer to set up an hotel than establish a factory. Creating employment oppourtunities for the teeming ibo youths is of a less priority than the foreign currencies those abroad are coming to town to spend. Almost 60% of SE economy is driven by hotels, 30% by markets while 10% by local industry. Believe it or not, ibos abroad and majority in Lagos would rather lodge in an hotel than sleep in their private or family house, the fear of the unknown, the wandering eyes of the village people, the wicked family members and the fear of jealous neighbors are some of the factors that push the visitors to the comfort zone of an hotel. They are ready to spend any amount as far as their safety is guaranteed and their privacy from the pressures of family and friends. At some point, hotel business were booming but not anymore. In recent years, insecurity has pulled a dark cloud over the south east region which has inturn affected the revenues of hotels.

Yorubas obsession with lgbos needs to be studied. This one cannot go a day without wailing and moaning about lgbos like a street bitch

21 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Odin13: 6:25pm On Nov 28, 2023
Yoruba man analysis of Igbo economy grin

IQ... zero. Zero

10 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2023
nedu666:

Yorubas obsession with lgbos needs to be studied. This one cannot go a day without wailing and moaning about lgbos like a street bitch
Says a man that hasn't gone home in 3years, your kids probably do not know the road to their father's house in alaigbo.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by igwebuike01: 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2023
Benin founded Lagos - Oba of Benin
This is the trending issue now, stop diverting attention

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2023
Odin13:
Yoruba man analysis of Igbo economy

IQ... zero. Zero
Continue to bury your head in the sand like an ostrich. Even the ibo apprentice system is dying, picking up hundreds of ibo youths to come serve an individual in the city is hurting southeast economy. The number of Ibo youths that are suppossed to develop, sustain and be useful to southeast economy are shrinking fast because of the selfish interests of their Oga bringing them to Lagos and SW.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 6:41pm On Nov 28, 2023
osuofia2:
Nnamdi Kanu don even scatter the booming hotel in the SE. Owerri is now a shadow of itself due to sit at home
Exactly. Imo state is seriously hit, hotels are empty.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 6:43pm On Nov 28, 2023
Blakjewelry:
Lol come to my location in delta state and see, Infact the most popular businesses are hotel's, petrol station and eatery.
Delta is relatively peaceful, ibos are moving to delta.

1 Like

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Abagworo(m): 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2023
Tourism, Hospitality and real estate is bigger than manufacturing and in fact a stimulus to growth of manufacturing and distribution sectors. If you know how rich a city Owerri became under Rochas Okorocha and the ripple effects on other sectors of economy because he focused on tourism you'd have a rethink. The problem with Southeast is bad federal roads, refusal to activate the Eastern ports and recently insecurity created to stop 2023 Igbo Presidency. I personally have not been to my State Imo since 2020 because of the insecurity and now that Uzodinma has won 2nd tenure it means till 2027 depending on if he hands over to someone that has capability to bring back peace. For now Abia especially Aba is the best place for any Igbo man to invest large scale with alternative at Asaba and Port Harcourt.

5 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Odin13: 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2023
Pakute:

Continue to bury your head in the sand like an ostrich. Even the ibo apprentice system is dying, picking up hundreds of ibo youths to come serve an individual in the city is hurting southeast economy. The number of Ibo youths that are suppossed to develop, sustain and be useful to southeast economy are shrinking fast because of the selfish interests of their Oga bringing them to Lagos and SW.

Keep dreaming and hallucinating..

Next..
Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Tjra: 6:45pm On Nov 28, 2023
Pakute:

Says a man that hasn't gone home in 3years, your kids probably do not know the road to their father's house in alaigbo.
shocked

2 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 6:45pm On Nov 28, 2023
igwebuike01:
Benin founded Lagos - Oba of Benin
This is the trending issue now, stop diverting attention
Benin settled in Onitsha, does it mean they founded Anambra?. Which part of your brain is hot?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by PedoBear: 6:47pm On Nov 28, 2023
Yellow bars and their brown roofs

Why can't they upgrade like their mates ??

They wantu be paupers for life

2 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by igwebuike01: 6:50pm On Nov 28, 2023
Pakute:

Benin settled in Onitsha, does it mean they founded Anambra?. Which part of your brain is hot?
Benin did not settle in Onitsha. Igbos who left Benin settled in Onitsha
Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by christistruth01: 6:56pm On Nov 28, 2023
osuofia2:

I even heard that when the ipob kidnappers collect Ransome money the first thing they use the money to build is Hotel and
that is where they monitor their next kidnap targets from

5 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 6:57pm On Nov 28, 2023
Abagworo:
Tourism, Hospitality and real estate is bigger than manufacturing and in fact a stimulus to growth of manufacturing and distribution sectors. If you know how rich a city Owerri became under Rochas Okorocha and the ripple effects on other sectors of economy because he focused on tourism you'd have a rethink. The problem with Southeast is bad federal roads, refusal to activate the Eastern ports and recently insecurity created to stop 2023 Igbo Presidency. I personally have not been to my State Imo since 2020 because of the insecurity and now that Uzodinma has won 2nd tenure it means till 2027 depending on if he hands over to someone that has capability to bring back peace. For now Abia especially Aba is the best place for any Igbo man to invest large scale with alternative at Asaba and Port Harcourt.
You lie!, do you know how much is China economy?. Ibos also refused to open up their real estate to outsiders, that's even a bigger problem coming back to haunt you.

4 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by SadEast419(m): 7:00pm On Nov 28, 2023
Too much of hotels, church, mosque and schools isn't good good in a country

1 Like

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Difrent: 7:00pm On Nov 28, 2023
Pakute:

South east is in dire need of manufacturing companies to inorder to revive the economy of southeast. SE must give incentives to willing investors, go out and woo them than sitting down in their office. Overdependence on hotels and petty trading would only keep killing the SE economy.

With insecurity....this is just a dream

Nobody will invest in a place where nobody does any business on Mondays and there's so much insecurity.

1 Like

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2023
Odin13:

Keep dreaming and hallucinating..

Next..
Authur Eze donated 5billion to Anambra Government, that's a red flag that things are really tough for the Governors. Pull your head out of the sand.

2 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by BitterTruth01: 7:05pm On Nov 28, 2023
Abagworo:

Ignore the illiterate . He doesn’t understand the difference between the secondary and tertiary sectors of economy. He doesn’t even know the order of progression of organic growth in an economy.
His grey matter is too befuddled by excessive head-slamming to engage in reasonable discourse .
So leave him be .

As at year 2000 , when I was in Ondo state for some projects, there were only two industries in the entire state capital of Akure . One was Limca factory at ondo road , the other one was located near Mojere Market at Ilesha garage , I forget the name.
The rest of their industries were primary sector industries mostly sawmills located in other parts of the state .

But comparatively, by that same year , there thousands of secondary industries in Aba . I mean thousands literally . It is expected that by now they would’ve organically metamorphosed into service industries including hotels and the likes .

This information is intended for only right-thinking people to assimilate and comprehend.

2 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 7:06pm On Nov 28, 2023
igwebuike01:

Benin did not settle in Onitsha. Igbos who left Benin settled in Onitsha
And they came back with a king with Benin ancenstry, dey play
Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Starboytwo(m): 7:07pm On Nov 28, 2023
Omo, the thing tire me.

Any new building wey fine like this na Hotel.

Infact, 9 out of 10 new buildings are hotels.

Na 20-30k hotels dey pay worker. Highest 15-20 workers.

We need more industry in this country, factories, anything other than hotel. All the youths here do nothing but drive Keke.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Difrent: 7:07pm On Nov 28, 2023
nedu666:

Isn't it the same with igbos

Igbos obsession with yorubas needs to be studied.
From Azikwe and co being angry at Yoruba students forming egbe Omo Odua in London

To Azikwe, jaja wachukwu and their likes first wanting the British to declare Lagos no man's land even though it's Yorubaland...

To Azikwe wanting to install a premier in the western region after installing one in the east

To Biafra Soldiers wanting to overrun Yorubaland until they were stopped at Ore.

Thank God everytime they try any nonsense the Yorubas have always resisted them. Reason why most igbos hate yorubas

5 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 7:09pm On Nov 28, 2023
SadEast419:
Too much of hotels, church, mosque and schools isn't good good in a country
Schools?.. you don smoke weed?
Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:10pm On Nov 28, 2023
This is really so sad to read.
God save our land.
Amadioha strike down all terrorists and their online supporters disturbing our region,
Killing innocent igbos.
All of una and family members no go die better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Pakute: 7:14pm On Nov 28, 2023
christistruth01:

I even heard that when the ipob kidnappers collect Ransome money the first thing they use the money to build is Hotel and
that is where they monitor their next kidnap targets from
Reminds me of Evans.

3 Likes

Re: The Increase In Hotels Is Killing Southeast Economy by Goodvibes007: 7:15pm On Nov 28, 2023
Pakute:

You lie!, do you know much is China economy?. Ibos also refused to open up their real estate to outsiders, that's even a bigger problem coming back to haunt you.

But then, erosion has destroyed their land. Alex Otti the other day collected grants from Islamic development bank to help fight erosion

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fidelity Bank- Who Really Knows This Bank? / Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Tomorrow / How Profitable Is Wine And Liquor Business In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.