Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,471 members, 7,812,449 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 (62913 Views)

See The Fish I Bought With My Hard-Earned ₦1k / See The Tomatoes Someone Bought For N380 In Ghana / Food Items I Bought With 78K - Man Shares Shocking Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by olaniyilukman(m): 9:59pm On Dec 02, 2023
Cruise777:
Rent and utilities na the Koko, not food

Even homeless people get free food
Useless and irresponsible man, you are such an unfortunate soul for defending this useless administration

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Padipadi(m): 10:00pm On Dec 02, 2023
Westchester:
Just saw this on Social Media, bro we’re living in hell in this country, just imagine what someone bought with only an hour’s job wage undecided cry
All these just for ten pound sterling shocked
Let's say N10K for £10.
If you v N10K in Nigeria, you can buy something closer to that same rate in Nigeria.
But can an average minimum wage earner buy such in Nigeria?
Nigeria is a country built for people that can suffer very well.

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by nairalanda1(m): 10:00pm On Dec 02, 2023
descarado:

Lots of things are very cheap in uk. The joy is you can get the expensive yet very good ones in charity shops if you know your onions. So you can literally furnish your house like a big man from charity shops. Some of the things there haven't been used but they are obeying the law of the land.
Also the so called bills are okay unless you are illegal who don't have a good job.
And you can still save a lot.

The problem with Nigerian is when they travel abroad, they want to show they have hammered and go on speedy credits. Big car,big mortgage,big everything all on credit. And then blame govt.
UK govt subsidised almost everything for her people cos they do not run capitalist economy.
Health is free. We don't add that at all.
We see that as our right. Very ungrateful people we are.

Even schooling. Govt is virtually sponsoring you in uni if you meet the requirement.

We are never satisfied.
Next April, an increment in minimum wage. How many times has Nigerian govt done that?

In return for all those subsides you mention, UK people pay heavy duty tax. Alongside the heavy duty light and water bills they pay

Also, education at university level is not free. Fees for UK students is about 6000 pounds. It is only Scottish students that go to university free.

I'm not saying Nigeria is better, but I am telling you how much those subsides cost

Denmark pays half their income in tax to affird free education and healthcare
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Nativetree: 10:00pm On Dec 02, 2023
Persephone1:
Food is cheap in UK and even USA... Try buying anything outside food then you will know Nigeria isn't TOTALLY bad.

Nigeria is totally bad!!! I live in Manchester and I earn same £10 an hour. My rent is £900 a month, I spend £50 for light, £80 for gas. My take home after tax is £1800 at least and out of it. I save a minimum of £600. And this is minimum wage

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by d142475: 10:01pm On Dec 02, 2023
This is misleading. If she takes that same 10 Pounds to an African Store in the UK, she won't be able to buy too many items. The reason is simple: Foreign food is more expensive than native food.

If you took that same 10 pounds ( which is more than 10k) to our local market to purchase our local food(not packaged supermarket o), you will purchase a lot of items as well. But if you took it to the Super Market to buy processed or packaged items, you won't be able to buy much. The reason is simple: Foreign food is more expensive than native food.

Let's keep things in perspective.

4 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by BreakingNews21: 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
This is not the complete items. The trolley was filled to the brim.

Huh? Humour?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Jostoman: 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2023
illicit:
Waiting for someone to blame Tinubu

no we will blame yaradua

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by IamAsiri: 10:03pm On Dec 02, 2023
BennyDGreat:

You are in the top 0.005% of the entire population

Exactly! He possibly doesn't know the meaning of minimum wage. Here in Nigeria where an average spaghetti has turned to 650-700, I don't think those who collect 30k monthly can afford to buy those groceries 3 times out of their salary without being in trouble.

7 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Evolutionism: 10:03pm On Dec 02, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Nooo....

It can't even buy an egg! shocked

grin grin grin
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by ceejayluv(m): 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2023
Persephone1:
Food is cheap in UK and even USA... Try buying anything outside food then you will know Nigeria isn't TOTALLY bad.
Is food not the most basic of needs?

5 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
You're living in hell so move to UK. Sebi the grass is always greener on the other side. Smh.

That sense, most of you must get it o so you can tell your children.
Purchasing power for majority is getting weaker.

Oga it is getting weaker for more and more people. It simply means whoever is in charge are doing things wrong.

Try and be objective for once. Middle class right now in naija are struggling to afford the basics unless they continue adjust. I am not talking of minimum wage class o.

4 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by tegrianonigltd(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2023
Cruise777:

Una go dey shout rent,

If you earn 2000, rent and bills 600-650, food and transport 100-150,

You can even get rent with all bills included 450-500 outside London.

You can save 1200 monthly.

You no Dey stay here, no Dey carry think from Wetin people dey talk, some over work and even earn 2500.

7 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by moscobabs(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2023
Westchester:
Just saw this on Social Media, bro we’re living in hell in this country, just imagine what someone bought with only an hour’s job wage undecided cry
All these just for ten pound sterling shocked
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by cococandy(f): 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
But the point is to compare hour to hour or month to month because comparing money to money will seem like an unfair comparison

richiemcgold:
£10 should be around N20k.
You can also get these same provisions in Nigeria at such price.
But for you to earn such amount in Nigeria, you have to work for like 2.5 weeks (approximately).
Minimum wage in Nigeria is N30k per month.

2 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by thatigboman: 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
femi4:
Did she tell you she pays rent monthly for as much as 1000 pounds....dey play

Outside food, everything is damn expensive
Council tax, tv licence, power n gas bill are recurring expenditure that dem no born you well make you skip a month
and apart from food that is expensive in Nigeria, every other thing is cheap?
You pay tax and the government uses for the good of the citizens, is that a bad thing? Don't we pay tax in Nigeria? Prepaid meter without light from day to day, those without meter get estimated billings every month even though their is no light. Fuel and gas are equally expensive in Nigeria. Don't even talk of housing, that one cost is on another in Nigeria. Health care horrible, education horrible, social infrastructure in comatose. Lagos to Abuja by air is N230,000. I remember going to UK from Abuja in 2010, the return ticket was N170,000, now it's about 1.3M

2 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Truths9ja: 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
Nativetree:

Nigeria is totally bad!!! I live in Manchester and I earn same £10 an hour. My rent is £900 a month, I spend £50 for light, £80 for gas. My take home after tax is £1800 at least and out of it. I save a minimum of £600. And this is minimum wage
see your analysis here, very accurate, you are saving over #500k in Nigeria currency every month. You will surely meet up in a year if you are on loan. White people really make things east for themselves, unlike black people, we are just doing evil to ourselves. Very unfortunate seriously
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by tuzle(m): 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
Panda7:
Lies from the pits of hell. No be only £10 na 10kobo. If an hour job can buy you these, it means a day job is enough to open a bakery. Global food prices have really crashed and the UK produce enough to feed itself.
I think it is true since there is a copy of the receipt on the 4th page. I know this things can be forged but I doubt that one was and it is detailed showing the price of each item
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by nairalanda1(m): 10:07pm On Dec 02, 2023
djkirkoo2:
if you work for 6hrs/day for 30 days, that's 10x6x30= £1,800. Rent is around £500. So £1,800-500 = £1,300. So, what's the koko about cost of rent there? £1,300 = N1,560,000 you have left in your pocket monthly o. Honestly, Nigeria is hell....

You pay council tax, utilities, television licence, transport costs and you also may have to buy clothes and suchlike.

If you have children, your costs increase drastically. School uniform and materials all cost money.

Have a car? More money.

Internet? Not cheap. Sky decoder? Not too cheap ( though Freeview is enough)

I forgot, you pay national income tax. More money gone

Even that rent, it varies. Living in London? Your rent just went up

Utilities like power are expensive. Especially when winter comes and your bills go up because heating.

I haven't mentioned phone bill.

4 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by ceejayluv(m): 10:07pm On Dec 02, 2023
AfahaAbia:
All you ignorant folks here talking like you know what happens in the UK and USA. In the USA and UK foods is very cheap. Food there is nothing. Have you heard of food banks? They give food for free. I personally use to do dumpster diving in those days as a student (Google dumpster diving) come see fresh food na that people no longer need. My fridge was usually full with all kinds of foods... Light bill, water bill, etc that is the Koko. You go pay tire!!! It's only in Nigeria I see so much ignorance.
After paying for those amenities, were you not getting your money's worth? Did you pay estimated bills after getting darkness and buying fuel for a noisy Gen? Did you have to pump water yourself or draw water from well or another compound.? Do you need to know a police commissioner before the cops would respond to your distress call?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by KarinaSlim(f): 10:08pm On Dec 02, 2023
cezarman:
Na before we go say Nigeria dey affordable or manageable compared to these countries.

Mehn like this now ehn... Naija expensive die. Whether food oh, rent, clothe, babe...
I dey shock for how much person dey spend per day. If one source of income fall na yawa be that oh!

Then consider how hard it is to make good money, start up a business or get a job here. It doesn't match at all.

Omoh angry

Man shall not live by babe alone.
Focus oga.
Life is deeper than u think.
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by cococandy(f): 10:08pm On Dec 02, 2023
Nativetree:

Nice. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

Now Imagine when you climb the employment ladder and increase your income and possibly get a partner who is on the same level as you.

Wishing you good luck.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by okuwehcris: 10:08pm On Dec 02, 2023
Cruise777:

That's what you don't understand, they made feeding cheap, so you don't complain about hunger or being lazy to work and earn money to pay the rent even if its high.

If feeding is cheaper in Nigeria you would hardly hear people complain about hardship.

Our government need to focus on giving the hungry man food before thinking on how to borrow money and build elephant projects for people to see them as working.

Former Plateau state governor Jonah Jang ficus more in agriculture and constructed roads to give farmers access to bring their products closer to the people, that's why he still remains the best till date...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Kay25(m): 10:09pm On Dec 02, 2023
..they pay tax out of their nose,their work rate is not the same as here before u earn that 10pounds an hour that 1 hour must be judiciously used here go to so many work places 3 hours some are still on phone calls not doing anything and u are comparing them to ours u cant eat what u dont work for
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by cococandy(f): 10:09pm On Dec 02, 2023
They have misplaced priorities.

No one in such a rich country like our Nigeria should go hungry. Every citizen should have universal basic allowance to take care of food at the minimum. Minimum

okuwehcris:

That's what you don't understand, they made feeding cheap, so you don't complain about hunger or being lazy to work and earn money to pay the rent even if its high.

If feeding is cheaper in Nigeria you would hardly hear people complain about hardship.

Our government need to focus on giving the hungry man food before thinking on how to borrow money and build elephant projects for people to see them as working.

Former Plateau state governor Jonah Jang ficus more in agriculture and constructed roads to give farmers access to bring their products closer to the people, that's why he still remains the best till date...

3 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by tuzle(m): 10:10pm On Dec 02, 2023
Omo all this people saying people there are paying expensive price for housing and whatever. I know someone who went to Germany last 3 years. He has come home at least once each year. His family are in Nigeria and he takes care of them well. When he was in Nigeria (he was working here for like 5years before he moved) omo sapa want to finish him and his family.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by ceejayluv(m): 10:10pm On Dec 02, 2023
femi4:
Exactly, fake and unfresh food
Nutritious all the same.

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by marlow1962(m): 10:12pm On Dec 02, 2023
Funkyswagzz:

That is an hour minimum wage not even a month salary
Then imagine what a month minimum wage will do, Africa sucks.

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by ceejayluv(m): 10:14pm On Dec 02, 2023
Praktikals:

Thats not a fair way to compare things. Also ask him how much he pays for rent and compare it to yours. His 1 year rent can be your own 50 years lol
We're comparing the man-hours work needed to attain that. A months salary there is enough to cover the bills at least. Higher skilled workers could get more savings.

2 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Panda7(m): 10:15pm On Dec 02, 2023
tuzle:
I think it is true since there is a copy of the receipt on the 4th page. I know this things can be forged but I doubt that one was and it is detailed showing the price of each item

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, some things are meant to suit ego. Receipts can be altered and edited, besides there was no reason to post and compare it on the internet.
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by nairalanda1(m): 10:15pm On Dec 02, 2023
ceejayluv:

After paying for those amenities, were you not getting your money's worth? Did you pay estimated bills after getting darkness and buying fuel for a noisy Gen? Did you have to pump water yourself or draw water from well or another compound.? Do you need to know a police commissioner before the cops would respond to your distress call?

Nigeria's problem is that most of what we pay for power , light and fuel is subsidised.

Result, the companies do not make much money and they provide bad service as a result.

Did I even mention the fact that 40 percent of Nigerians do not even pay for power?

UK on the other hand does not subsidised power, petrol or water. As a result, bills are high, but because you are paying the actual price you get your value for money .

Anytime it has been suggested Nigerians should pay market price for utilities and petrol we get the usual poverty answer

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by ceejayluv(m): 10:15pm On Dec 02, 2023
Magabush1:
Oga ,if you convert to naira, that's #14k in Nigerian currency . #14k can buy everything there and you will still have change

How long does it take a minimum wage worker or Okada/keke Rider to earn 14k.

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Trumpdonald5: 10:16pm On Dec 02, 2023
marlow1962:
Nigerian minimum wage can't even buy their local bag of rice (what a very big shame).
Nigerian citizen will continue living in hell until they stop praising their slave masters, but for now let tribalism do his thing, when everybody is done insulting themselves over these punks politicians who don't give a Bleep about you, them we can talk business.

Tell FreeStuffsNG

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Lady Shows The Food Items She Bought With N1,500 / Animal We Killed During Night Hunting / Fisherman Catches A Shark In Bayelsa Community (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.