Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,120 members, 7,814,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner (66677 Views)

"Abroad Life Is Not Easy" - Man Who Cleans Skyscraper Windows Says; Shares Video / From Bank Interview Shaming To American Company Job / Access Bank Manager Seizes A Staff’s Phone - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Blitzking: 4:11pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nigerian need to read the book outliers...and learn that some jobs shouldn't be done for life...some are only good to keep body and soul together.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Harddiskng(m): 4:12pm On Dec 16, 2023
LooneyLester:
At least he falls sick he'll get a benefitting health care

Or falls to his death and he would get a benefit burial

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Error401: 4:12pm On Dec 16, 2023
Do you live in the UK? Average salary of sky scrapper cleaner is 23k per annum (This could be higher depending on the company). As an ex bank manager, he has other prospects and an opportunity to land a dream job that could give 49.9k per annum, I dont think any bank manager makes that in Nigeria. His only expenses in UK is accomodation, feeding, transportation and visa renewal which would be done by the home office except health surcharges.
All investments will be made in Naira/ thats what we call foreign remittances, I dont know if Nigerians have stated taking GBP for buying houses or buying lands. Investments in Nigeria are done solely in naira.
If he paid 20% tax and only left with 10k Pounds per annum, he still have 20m saved for the year.
He is on his way to Citizenship in 5 years, easier relocation to USA and Canada. Now tell me what you can achieve as a manager here in your shithole without embezzling money
Gerrard59:

BS!

His standard of living has fallen off. He spends pounds in the UK, not in Nigeria. So why convert pounds to naira as if he is spending in naira?! The tale is false. But let's assume it is remotely true, the living standards of a bank manager is FAR HIGHER than a cleaner in the UK. For proper comparisons, you compare a cleaner in Nigeria to a cleaner in the UK. A bank manager in Nigeria to a bank in the UK.

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by aliscomonaj: 4:13pm On Dec 16, 2023
The sky is his limit
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by viodemus: 4:13pm On Dec 16, 2023
People cleaning skyscrapers can easily make more money than a non corrupt bank manager in Nigeria and even in a developed country after 3 to 4 years. That is skyscraper window cleaner not really the whole building cleaner.

A job is a job, it could be a stepping stone job, or an in depth career job, depends on how you take it.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Indispensable85(m): 4:14pm On Dec 16, 2023
He's earning much more now. That's what matters. No be to dey wear suit.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by chachanga: 4:14pm On Dec 16, 2023
xpizzy:

How much does a bank manager make?

They're phools.

Company Graphic Designers earn averagely $40k/yr while window washers earn between $34k/yr on average to $50k/yr working for Bluechip companies, unions and corporations with health insurance thrown in too.

These dudes just wanna celebrate every little hurdle they hear their bros in Diaspora encountering.

They most likely ain't faring better back home if we checked them out and they're steady busy overlooking the most important thing which is they don't know what other potentials and structures are available to help facilitate their window-washing bro's true dreams out here.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Charly68: 4:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
It is a pity that some men can't think well above animals ; a lion in Nigeria can't dream of becoming a cat in America.... Value yourself and wait for God to take you to the Pinnacle of your career as you work hard
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Codes151(m): 4:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
a support worker earning 3m a month and a bank manager in nigeria earning 600k.. dey play
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by BigDawsNet: 4:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
Error401:
And he would have an average of 20m per annum after tax, he would be 100m richer in 5 years

Means he will be living on free rents, utilities/bills, feeding and transportation
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by jaxxy(m): 4:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?

The money will determine. They pay those guys serious money but its risky do u have to be trained. I don't know what the drama is all about.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Flame333: 4:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
Sirmwill:
He has found what he was looking for

You expect him to get to someone's country and dethrone them immediately.. This kind of news are cooked up for discouragement purpose but if know your way, you will climb when the time comes.
Bro may just be chilling with what is available to provide some cover over his head until better opportunity opens..

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Machinegun91(m): 4:16pm On Dec 16, 2023
Glo is the most useless network in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by dbestcno(m): 4:16pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Smart move or not?

Smart move because if he focus on the job, he can form a new cleaning company. Other than him working 50 yrs as a banker and retire to finish his pension.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by sulaak(m): 4:16pm On Dec 16, 2023
LooneyLester:
At least he falls sick he'll get a benefitting health care

Free health care has diminished in the UK. If you don't have health insurance forget it
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Error401: 4:16pm On Dec 16, 2023
Lol, 10k and you didnt know 10k Pounds is 15million naira?

His average salary as a sky scrapper is 23k (its obviously higher because they take about 12-13GBP per hour. I only removed 20% tax plus other expenses and you'd still be left with 10k plus. You think GBP is Naira's made? 1Pound is almost 1500 now. Sit down there and be earning your 30K while castigating people who took a bold step to better their lifes.

Available9:

You didn't tell me one can pick money on the streets of UK and US
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by anonymous1759(m): 4:17pm On Dec 16, 2023
coleon:

Many of you just say rubish online out of ignorance. A manager in most new generation banks earn between 2-3m net in this Nigeria monthly, and you think that one is not ok by Nigerian standard.
Even if you make that amount monthly by doing menial jobs abroad,the bills you will pay will make you have nothing left.

Story
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by FinidiGeorge: 4:17pm On Dec 16, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Soft life to hard life.

I guess when he got there and saw the pile of bills staring him in the face he had no choice but to grab the next available job.

If you are gainfully employed in naija, you don't need to japa. Japa is someone who has no hope of ever getting a job in Nigeria. He'll appreciate any kind of job he finds there.
Dem no dey tell person nah grin
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Bahamas95(m): 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2023
It's all about the money, if the pay there is more I don't see any problem with it. Besides he's in a sane clime, he can enjoy basic amenities unlike here in Nigeria.

A former Nollywood actor is now a security man in the abroad, he's doing very well.....Most of these so-called white collar jobs in Nigeria are just packaging, many workers are suffering and smiling.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by hkidola00(m): 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2023
not really, the problem here is that its a low qualfication and a high risk job
GboyegaD:
I am amused when I read such threads as this. When will we learn to mind our business?

A grown up makes his choice and lives by it and we in our usual sanctimonious stance tries to pass judgment. Truth is I see these kind of post as being envious of the other person.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Segzy19: 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2023
Sure, he is regretting it already but then he should keep it up.... He can still change job later sha.....
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by bolabizzle(m): 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

I don't have to work in a bank to know your tale is mumbo-jumbo and false. No banker who got employed via graduate trainee recruitment gets to work in the UK as a cleaner. Unless village people, it is not possible!

It seems you are mistaking contract staff in the banks for actual bankers. Banking job is a good one if employed via the bank's standard graduate recruitment process.

I understand you but you need to understand that just because a choice or decision is impossible to you doesn't make it impossible to others. People will not always see things the way you do and you have no right to judge or look down on them because you are not experiencing what they are facing.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:20pm On Dec 16, 2023
santaclaws:

I doubt the authenticity of that story. Most of these stories are fabricated. A former bank manager in Nigeria can easily get a management or accounting job anywhere in the world.

Lol you didn't get the memo?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by loliapoopy2013(f): 4:20pm On Dec 16, 2023
No fear of being kidnapped as a bank manager and getting killed after ransom has been paid.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2023
Error401:
Do you live in the UK? Average salary of sky scrapper cleaner is 23k per annum (This could be higher depending on the company). As an ex bank manager, he has other prospects and an opportunity to land a dream job that could give 49.9k per annum, I dont think any bank manager makes that in Nigeria. His only expenses in UK is accomodation, feeding, transportation and visa renewal which would be done by the home office except health surcharges.
All investments will be made in Naira/ thats what we call foreign remittances, I dont know if Nigerians have stated taking GBP for buying houses or buying lands. Investments in Nigeria are done solely in naira.
If he paid 20% tax and only left with 10k Pounds per annum, he still have 20m saved for the year.
He is on his way to Citizenship in 5 years, easier relocation to USA and Canada. Now tell me what you can achieve as a manager here in your shithole without embezzling money

A bank manager out-earns a skyscraper cleaner in the UK, judging from PPP. The comparison is an apple-to-orange comparison. Hence, it is senseless. That is why the original post is false. A bank manager in Nigeria, if he decides to attend school, runs an MBA at London Business School and becomes an investment banker or management consultant. LBS does not admit people who eventually become skyscraper cleaners.

Again, your cleaner spends in pounds, not naira. And should he decide to send remittances instead of improving his income, he is bound to be poorer in the UK. Read about the black tax.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by planetx: 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2023
finallybusy:
It’s a smart move. Let me give you examples.

1. A friend japa’d to England. For the six months he was unemployed and searching, he indulged in yahoo yahoo because he learned the skill back home. He was never caught and got a job working in a bank.

2. A friend japa’d to the US. He didn’t care to use his bachelors to get a job. He did certification courses back home before traveling. He never waited for a job. He’s a network technician as I type.

3. A friend japa’d to Canada. He picked rubbish off the street for a living before getting a bank job after a few months. His story made it to Nairaland and children here were tapping from his blessings as usual.

4. Many get to the new country and indulge in Uber, cleaning jobs, and other menial activities before gaining proper employment.

The guy in this story is doing the job for the meantime. When he gets proper employment, the same idiots typing rubbish now will tap from his blessings. I sabi una way.
LOL nothing special about working in banks in the UK or Canada even the US. A teller works in a bank and they basically earn just a little above minimum wage, are they working In an investment bank?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Error401: 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2023
If he earns an average of 23k per annum - 20% tax He has 18k left, transport, accommodation and feeding takes 8k, accommodation is only about 500GBP depending on location and could be shared.
All in all, he should have 10k left as savings annually, and thats 15m, a chance to citizenship and an opportunity to apply for jobs in his field that could shoot up to 50k GBP.
Easier Canada and USA application. The benefits are endless
BigDawsNet:

Means he will be living on free rents, utilities/bills, feeding and transportation
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Waltiro(m): 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Smart move or not?

Na better bread be that, compared to the office work here.

Although, bigger risks too
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by seguno2: 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Smart move or not?

Was it smart for the prodigal son to waste his inheritance and then have to work with pigs to the point of eating their food?

What will it take to reset our brains to work on our own societies, communities and countries instead of slavishly working for whites
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nazgul:
The question you should be asking is how much does a bank manager earn in Nigeria?

If you must know, no bank in Nigeria pays their branch managers up to N1m. On an average, they earn between 500-600k. (That's about $600 not pounds o)

A skyscraper window cleaner in the UK earns about £23,000. With that amount, you can live comfortably in the UK.

Aside the risks involved in the job, I won't say he made a bad choice.

This is pure ignorance speaking.

Banking remains one of the highest paying job in Nigeria today.

You need to change your circle of friends
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Available9: 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
Error401:
Lol, 10k and you didnt know 10k Pounds is 15million naira?

His average salary as a sky scrapper is 23k (its obviously higher because they take about 12-13GBP per hour. I only removed 20% tax plus other expenses and you'd still be left with 10k plus. You think GBP is Naira's made? 1Pound is almost 1500 now. Sit down there and be earning your 30K while castigating people who took a bold step to better their lifes.

the 23k is for a year and that's lesser compared to what I earn in Nigeria.. because after removing taxes, it will reduce significantly...that's small money na...kia poverty...his colleagues in some Nigerian banks take home more than 28 million naira per year...

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Maobichek: 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
santaclaws:

I doubt the authenticity of that story. Most of these stories are fabricated. A former bank manager in Nigeria can easily get a management or accounting job anywhere in the world.

Not what you think ok! If he travelled via study(student) visa, he will only work for 20 hours every week and at such, he will only get a managerial/accounting job when he is done with his studies.

NB: anyone working as a window cleaner over there earns more than a bank manager here(this is confirmed). Minimum wage per hour in the UK is 10 Pounds and no such a risky worker will earn 10 pounds per hour.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Richest Lawyers In Nigeria 2017 - Law Repository Nigeria / From Truck Pusher To Sex Worker - Lady Celebrates Her 1 Year Achievement / Salary Package For Nigerian Navy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.