Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband (12015 Views)

Kemi Olunloyo: I Have Never Been Married At 56 Because I Won't Submit To A Man / My Wife Is Refusing To Submit To Me Because Of Our Age Differences / Sex On First Visit. Does It Mean She Is Cheap? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On Dec 22, 2023
safarifarms:
For me submission 1st means respect and then being able to accept his decision in a situation that you have contrary opinion that he doesn't agree with. However there are several factors that come into play to make this easy or difficult. For it to be easy, the man needs to be responsible, have a good sense of Judgement, and also amenable where he sees superior opinion or argument from his wife.
Submission is nothing of that you proclaim.
sub·mis·sion

1. the action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person.
"they were forced into submission"
Submission is one thing, the decision to do it out of respect is something entirely different.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Dec 22, 2023
kkins25:
I've been thinking about this alot, and can't seem to understand what "submission" means.
What does it mean for a wife to submit to me? Also, can women provide what "to submit" means to them? Is submitting to a man similar to submitting to God in the sense that man has the last and final say? Does this mean, the man's will should supersede that of the woman? Does submitting mean, taking care of? Please, explain it to me like I'm a dumb 5 year old.
This is the word's dictionary meaning, and the real-world application seems to mirror it.
sub·mis·sion

1. the action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person.
However, it seems from the submissions on this thread, however, it seems that each person defines the term differently so meaning that pretty much asking what submission means is in vain exercise. undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by k4all(m): 6:59pm On Dec 22, 2023
Follow this channel on youtube to understand submission expected from the woman to her husband and how the man should Love the woman.

http://www.youtube.com/@KefasMusa_Reflections

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Dec 22, 2023
ebubeson:
As a woman, you are not a fool. But submission here means to respect him as the head and obey him. It is not everything he says that you may take, but you can disagree respectfully. You are not to disagree or drag with him on simple matters that needs no debate. It means to cook for him always and make sure cooked food is available. And the husband must be tolerant in his demand for kinds of food... You can't just keep saying to your wife " I want fresh food, I cannot eat food in the freezer, I cannot eat food cooked yesterday".. You need to be tolerant. It means not submitting your destiny and life to a foolish husband. You cannot submit your life to a lazy gambler or an irresponsible man, all in the name of submission. You can respect, but do not submit foolishly. You cannot submit to a violent man that wants to take your life all in the name of submission. You can submit to such persons from afar without coming closer.
Submission has nothing to do with respect.
sub·mis·sion

They are almost almost two divergent ideas
re·spect

1. a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
"the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor"
2. due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others.
It is one thing to respect someone's wishes, abilities, qualities, or achievements but an entirely different thing to submit to such a person. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by safarifarms(m): 7:23pm On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Submission is nothing of that you proclaim.
Submission is one thing, the decision to do it out of respect is something entirely different.
I shared what submission means to me.
Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by FLYFIRE(m): 7:58pm On Dec 22, 2023
Social media has destroyed EVERYTHING. Proponents of feminism are & will ever regret going that route. I pray for God's grace for our ladies. Men are not moved by your expertise in the kitchen or bedroom but by being respectful to him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by warrifinest1985: 8:29pm On Dec 22, 2023
kkins25:
I've been thinking about this alot, and can't seem to understand what "submission" means.

What does it mean for a wife to submit to me? Also, can women provide what "to submit" means to them?

Is submitting to a man similar to submitting to God in the sense that man has the last and final say? Does this mean, the man's will should supersede that of the woman? Does submitting mean, taking care of? Please, explain it to me like I'm a dumb 5 year old.

To submit to your husband simply means any time he won knack open for am and non complain
Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by femi4: 11:02pm On Dec 22, 2023
kkins25:

What does it mean for a wife to submit to me? Also, can women provide what "to submit" means to them?

Is submitting to a man similar to submitting to God in the sense that man has the last and final say? Does this mean, the man's will should supersede that of the woman? Does submitting mean, taking care of? Please, explain it to me like I'm a dumb 5 year old.

You have to lover her first, and submission will come naturally.

The word submission entails a woman doing all within her power to pleased her man

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Cromagnon: 11:55pm On Dec 22, 2023
ebubeson:
As a woman, you are not a fool. But submission here means to respect him as the head and obey him. It is not everything he says that you may take, but you can disagree respectfully. You are not to disagree or drag with him on simple matters that needs no debate.

who determines what hi simple and what should be dragged

It means to cook for him always and make sure cooked food is available. And the husband must be tolerant in his demand for kinds of food... You can't just keep saying to your wife " I want fresh food, I cannot eat food in the freezer, I cannot eat food cooked yesterday".. You need to be tolerant.

why not
Does he not pay 24 hours rent food and protection?

It means not submitting your destiny and life to a foolish husband. You cannot submit your life to a lazy gambler or an irresponsible man, all in the name of submission.

freedom of choice

. You can respect, but do not submit foolishly.

what's the difference

You cannot submit to a violent man that wants to take your life all in the name of submission. You can submit to such persons from afar without coming closer.
again freedom of choice
Your body go Tell you
Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by bentenny(m): 12:01am On Dec 23, 2023
Trusting in his ability to lead,to protect and to provide!
Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by pansophist(m): 12:11am On Dec 23, 2023
Lots of modern women confuse submission with obedience.

The difference between obedience and submission is that the former is a state of choicelessness (eg a master and a slave), while submission is a state of respect (eg two business partners).

For a woman to submit, its a declaration of allowing a man to lead, because she trust his leadership and believe its for the interest of the whole. Also, a man that is dignified with a womans submission needs to be worthy of it.

If his actions is not for the interest of the whole, if he is tyrannical, selfish, and lacks foresight, then she should not submit. You dont deserve submission because you are a man, but because you are a competent man.

Also, a woman should know that submission is in her own interest. A woman that submits to men means that the man will have to perform. The burden of performance is as a result of female submission.

And via submission, a woman will easily get what she wants from a man.

Personally I won't do shit for a woman that won't submit. If you want me to be a man, the one that you can depend on and will receive the first introductory slaps from a criminal banging the door at midnight, then you must submit.

Authority without responsibility is slavery. If I have responsibilities towards you, then you should follow my lead. You cant have authority and privilege while leaving only responsibilities to me. It doesnt works that way.

If you refuse submission, then the male-female dynamic has been corrupt, there is no basis for our union, its void.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 1:16am On Dec 23, 2023
Kobojunkie:
This is the word's dictionary meaning, and the real-world application seems to mirror it. However, it seems from the submissions on this thread, however, it seems that each person defines the term differently so meaning that pretty much asking what submission means is in vain exercise. undecided

Interesting. I find the biblical references asking women to be submissive somewhat paradoxical.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 1:22am On Dec 23, 2023
kkins25:
■ Interesting. I find the biblical references asking women to be submissive somewhat paradoxical.
Which biblical references would those be— just the references please, no long story? undecided

And yes, this is the definition that is implied in Scripture.
sub·mis·sion

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 1:24am On Dec 23, 2023
pansophist:
Lots of modern women confuse submission with obedience. The difference between obedience and submission is that the former is a state of choicelessness (eg a master and a slave), while submission is a state of respect (eg two business partners).
For a woman to submit, its a declaration of allowing a man to lead, because she trust his leadership and believe its for the interest of the whole. Also, a man that is dignified with a womans submission needs to be worthy of it....
Hope this equally means that for a man to submit, its a declaration allowing the woman to lead, because he trusts her leadership and believes it's for the interest of the whole, meaning she is worthy of it, this of course in marriage as well. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Leonel55(m): 1:25am On Dec 23, 2023
kkins25:

The concept of a wife submitting to her husband comes from the Bible, specifically Ephesians 5 from verse 22, and the subsequent verses that follow through to verse 33, further elaborate on the dynamics of it.

Outside of Christianity, it might be misunderstood and therefore abused by some men or rejected by some women, especially the feminists.

Now, the verse in that scripture says "wives submit to your husbands as to the Lord." The word submit here means to honour and respect her husband and recognise the authority of God upon him to lead the marriage (i.e. as to the Lord). What she submits to is the authority of God on the husband to lead not his canal self. What that "submit.. as to the Lord" would look like would be the honour and respect that most women in church show to their pastors. That is exactly how they ought to treat their husbands at home at all times and in everything. It therefore means that the husband leads and coordinates the marriage while the wife supports and follows his leadership, not as a slave or servant, but as a team mate following the lead of her team captain.

A good team leader would involve his team mate in the decision making, in order to get their input and carry them along. It's a leadership of love not a leadership of superiority. Him having the authority to lead doesn't mean that he's better than her or smarter than her or that she has no say or that his will supersedes hers. Her submitting means that she trusts him to make decisions that are in their best interest when the need arises, so there shouldn't even be a scuffle on who has the last say, if she truly submits to his leadership.

So, in order for this to work a man should make sure that the woman he is courting to marry understands this concept and freely and wholeheartedly accepts it, or else that marriage would be a chaotic one. You don't marry someone who this concept is alien to, or who doesn't accept it, e.g a feminist, and then expect her to follow accordingly. What would ensue will be chaos. This is one major reason why a lot of marriages are collapsing because the two persons involved are operating with different understandings of roles in marriage.

The word submit, as used in the Bible, can sometimes be misconstrued to mean "be in submission" or "become submissive, hence the reason why some men abuse that authority and end up maltreating their wives because of such negative understanding of the concept. Someone in submission means that they have been defeated and surrendered while someone who is submissive implies that they take on the characteristics of a slave or servant. A man's wife is not his slave or servant but his team mate and he is the team leader.

Now there's another side to this instruction which is this time directed to the husbands and it says: "husbands love your wives, just as Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her." Meaning that a man is expected give his wife a kind of love that is sacrificial in nature. This comes in the form of doing everything in his power and reach to make sure that he protects and provides for her (and the children he has with her).

This is why in marriage, a man needs respect and a woman needs to be showered with love.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 1:26am On Dec 23, 2023
Leonel55:
The concept of a wife submitting to her husband comes from the Bible, specifically Ephesians 5 from verse 22, and the subsequent verses that follow through to verse 33, further elaborate on the dynamics of it.

Outside of Christianity, it might be misunderstood and therefore abused by some men or rejected by some women, especially the feminists.
■ Now, the verse in that scripture says "wives submit to your husbands as to the Lord." The word submit here means to honour and respect her husband and recognise the authority of God upon him to lead the marriage (i.e. as to the Lord).
What she submits to is the authority of God on the husband to lead not his canal self. What that "submit.. as to the Lord" would look like would be the honour and respect that most women in church show to their pastors. That is exactly how they ought to treat their husbands at home at all times and in everything. It therefore means that the husband leads and coordinates the marriage while the wife supports and follows his leadership, not as a slave or servant, but as a team mate following the lead of her team captain.
So, Paul suggested it and so Christians glorify his opinions, is that it? undecided

2. I am afraid this is nothing of what Paul in fact meant at all. He said nothing of respect or honor but simply submission. It is possible to submit without necessarily respecting a one and it is equally possible to respect a one without submitting, so aren't you putting words in Paul's mouth here, aside from misconstruing his opinion? undecided

3. I am afraid there is no such thing as you have there in bold given that God never handed authority of the such to any husband. There is no scriptural background for this belief which you hold to there. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 1:31am On Dec 23, 2023
Leonel55:

cc Kobojunkie.
Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 1:37am On Dec 23, 2023
kkins25:
cc Kobojunkie.
In the same Scripture, you will find where Jesus Christ equally states that all brothers and sisters — men and women — are equals in the Kingdom of God, implying that they are not to consider others authorities over each other - Matthew 23 vs 8 -10. Is this not equally biblical in origin? undecided

Also, Paul's supposed opinion expressed in Ephesians 5 vs 22 - 33 directly violates the teachings of Jesus Christ which is rather the standard for those who are of the Kingdom of God to live by. So, why present it as though the biblical standard? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 3:01am On Dec 23, 2023
Kobojunkie:
In the same Scripture, you will find where Jesus Christ equally states that all brothers and sisters — men and women — are equals in the Kingdom of God, implying that they are not to consider others authorities over each other - Matthew 23 vs 8 -10. Is this not equally biblical in origin? undecided
Is this in a husband and wife dynamic? Oh please.... This will work on Dtruthspeaker, not me.

Also, Paul's supposed opinion expressed in Ephesians 5 vs 22 - 33 directly violates the teachings of Jesus Christ which is rather the standard for those who are of the Kingdom of God to live by. So, why present it as though the biblical standard? undecided

What are jesus' teachings on husband and wife dynamics?
Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 3:03am On Dec 23, 2023
Leonel55:

Now, the verse in that scripture says "wives submit to your husbands as to the Lord." The word submit here means to honour and respect her husband and recognise the authority of God upon him to lead the marriage (i.e. as to the Lord).
I agree with kobo on this. you're adding stuff not there.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 3:04am On Dec 23, 2023
olaztek:
* Give him sex whenever he wishes unless you're tired or sick.
* take permission before going out.
* Don't argue with him in public
- take good care of his parent when they come to visit.

* prepare his food in time.
* Always have patience and show support when he's struggling financially.

*Don't backbite or talk bad about him.
* Overlook his minor mistakes

These are hogwash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 3:06am On Dec 23, 2023
ebubeson:
As a woman, you are not a fool. But submission here means to respect him as the head and obey him.

Why is every body listing out househelp roles. I asked for what it meant to be submissive, but all y'all are throwing about is "cook" "clean" bleh bleh,and all that non-sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 3:07am On Dec 23, 2023
ATEAMS:
Loyalty and respect...

Appreciate him and love him as your children.

That's no submission.
Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On Dec 23, 2023
kkins25:
■ Is this in a husband and wife dynamic? Oh please.... This will work on Dtruthspeaker, not me.
■ What are jesus' teachings on husband and wife dynamics?
1. That is the overarching decree for all who claim to be of the Kingdom of God, as explained by Jesus Christ in that passage. undecided

2. There are no teachings that are particular to the case of husband and wife --- except where the breaking of the agreement (divorce) is concerned--- given that Jesus Christ was firm that marriages are not of the Kingdom of God but rather of the world of men - unholiness. undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 3:36am On Dec 23, 2023
pansophist:

Lots of modern women confuse submission with obedience.

Interesting. Submission is voluntary, while obedience is mandatory.

I just asked Claude.ai and it does agree with your view. In fact, it says, "Submission allows respectful dialogue around expectations, obedience restricts questioning directives received." But, i was not convinced with this answer since, submission still involves relinquishing one's authority to another. So, I asked further

Me: But, if submission is relinquishing one's authority to another, wouldn't that mean both are similar than what you portray?

AI: You raise an excellent point. Both submission and obedience fundamentally involve relinquishing one's own independence of decision-making or authority to another person or external source to varying extents. In that sense, there is clear similarity in the outcome.
However, I was attempting to highlight what I perceive as differences in the underlying psychology or motivations behind[b] willingly submitting oneself[/b] versus mandated obedience. Perhaps I overly emphasized that contrast.

Given the context, it's not far-fetched for me to incite that obedience can quickly become an element of submission. So, I queried further:

Me: interesting, then obedience can be said to be an outcome of submission.

AI: That is an excellent connection to make! Obedience can indeed by viewed as potentially an outcome or manifestation of submission taken to its furthest extreme....
So in summary, your point stands that the most dedicated forms of voluntary submission risk vacating moral autonomy to the point acts become indistinguishable from obligatory obedience. Discerning that line makes all the difference, as obedience concerns compliance while deep submission values growth. Thank you for that thought-provoking observation tying the concepts' potential end results!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by kkins25(m): 3:44am On Dec 23, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. That is the overarching decree for all who claim to be of the Kingdom of God, as explained by Jesus Christ in that passage. undecided

2. There are no teachings that are particular to the case of husband and wife --- except where the breaking of the agreement (divorce) is concerned) --- given that Jesus Christ was firm that marriages are not of the Kingdom of God but rather of the world of men - unholiness. undecided

1. When you say "kingdom of God," Do you mean heaven or allegorical kingdom of God---a state of accepting Jesus as savior? If it's the former, then you can't ascribe Mathew 23:8-10 to the Husband and wife dynamics. It's context is completely different. undecided

2. So, how do you know that husband and wife are equal in the Kingdom of God? undecided

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 3:52am On Dec 23, 2023
kkins25:
1. When you say "kingdom of God," Do you mean heaven or allegorical kingdom of God---a state of accepting Jesus as savior? If it's the former, then you can't ascribe Mathew 23:8-10 to the Husband and wife dynamics. It's context is completely different. undecided

2. So, how do you know that husband and wife are equal in the Kingdom of God? undecided
1. Think instead of the Kingdom of God as a country where all those who are born-again are become citizens of and the teachings and commandments of Jesus --- God's Law --- as the National Constitution by which they are to be all abide by. There are no special laws in the Kingdom of God designed to govern the affairs of only the marriage. What only exists are laws to government remarriage(depending on conditions of divorce). undecided

(In Exodus 19 vs 6, God referred to it as His special nation of Priests, this besides the nation of Israel which He constituted in the Land of Canaan.) undecided

2. It doesn't matter whether they are husband and wife, brother and sister, mother and child , or father and daughter, this by world standards of course. In the Kingdom of God all are simply brothers and sisters and equals. undecided

In the Kingdom of God, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, uncles, children, grandparents, etc., are all brothers and sisters and are equals. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by namedo: 5:03am On Dec 23, 2023
Oh girl, I for marry you if you go gree.
Who give small pikin like you this kind of old woman sense?
You've just hit the head on the nail. grin
Jeon:
*Explanation *
Submission is next to how the rich and powerful person[s] is[are] treating the poor and weak person[s].

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by okoroemeka(m): 5:28am On Dec 23, 2023
kkins25:

if you acknowledge that your husband is the head of the family as ordained by God and nature then you are a submissive woman
Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by Kobojunkie: 5:31am On Dec 23, 2023
okoroemeka:
if you acknowledge that your husband is the head of the family as ordained by God and nature then you are a submissive woman
Ordained by which God? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by BluntCrazeMan: 6:11am On Dec 23, 2023
LaRosa01:
back in the days when you want to know the meaning of something,you go to the dictionary.thisdays well...............

Dictionary defines.
At best, it gives examples of how to use words in sentence...

It doesn't explain.
It doesn't describe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Submit To Your Husband by nkemjacob2(m): 7:51am On Dec 23, 2023
Loyalty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Caught My Brother And My Landlord's Wife On The Bed / What Will Be Your Reaction When Your Gf/wife Cooks Like This? (photos) / Ladies What Would You Do If Someone Suddenly GRABS Your Breastss Publicly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.