Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,999 members, 7,810,779 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account (40074 Views)

FG Pays ₦‎585 Million Fines, Begins Nationwide Prisoners' Release / Why I Approved Redesign Of Naira Notes - President Buhari / MMIA Airport Scandal: UK Returnees Refuse To Pay FG's Money Into Private Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Thonyboy: 7:17am On Jan 06
The end is yet to be seen in the alleged financial corruption scandal rocking the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, as a document emerged that the Minister, Edu Betta allegedly disbursed N585,198,500.00 into a personal account.

According to a viral document signed by Edu directed to the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, the Minister instructed the disbursement of N585,198,500.00 to one, Oniyelu Bridget.

The document also showed that the payment of the N585.198 million grant, meant for vulnerable groups in Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Ogun and Lagos states, was made into Oniyelu’s account.

However, reacting to the development, the Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the Minister, Rasheed Zubair said N585.198 million payment for the vulnerable group followed due process.

He stated that the payment of the grant to the account of an individual, Oniyelu Bridget, was because the fellow currently serves as the Project Accountant of Grants for Vulnerable Groups.

He explained that the payment of the N585.198 million grant was meant for vulnerable groups in Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Ogun and Lagos states.

“For the avoidance, the said N585m was approved, and it is meant to implement grants to vulnerable groups in Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Ogun, and Lagos states.

“We must note that GVG was first launched in Kogi State, where recipients testified. Akwa Ibom and Cross River were launched in December 2023. Kogi already happened in November, and others will be launched in the coming weeks.

“The general public is invited to note that the Renewed Hope Grant for Vulnerable Groups is one of the social intervention schemes of the Federal Government, which the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation is implementing.

“Oniyelu Bridget is the Project Accountant for GVG from the Department of Finance, and it is legal in civil service for a staff, the project accountant, to be paid and use the same funds legally and retire the same with all receipts and evidence after the project or programme is completed”, he stated.

Meanwhile, the development caused a stir on social media as Nigerians wondered why a huge sum of the Federal Government’s money would be paid to an individual’s account.

.ng gathered that public sector financial regulations of 2009 prohibit the payment of public funds to the account of a private individual.

Section 713 of the law states, “Personal money shall in no circumstances be paid into a government bank account, nor shall any public money be paid into a private bank account. An officer who pays public money into a private account is deemed to have done so with fraudulent intention.”

Recall that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu barely four days ago suspended the National Coordinator of the National Social Investment Programme Agency, Halima Shehu, an agency under Edu, over alleged financial misappropriation.

Consequently, Halima Shehu was detained and drilled by the Economic Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, over an alleged N44 billion fraud.

Following an investigation, EFCC froze N30 billion moved from NSIPA’s accounts.

Similarly, a former Minister of the Ministry, Sadiya Umar-Farouq, was invited by the EFCC over a financial scandal allegedly carried out through one contractor, James Okwete.
https://.ng/2024/01/06/why-i-approved-payment-of-n585m-into-private-account-tinubus-minister-betta-edu/

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by kayusely70(m): 7:20am On Jan 06
Let's wait and watch as events unfold!

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Ikaeniyan0: 7:20am On Jan 06
Even if Edu ask the accountant general to pay money into a private account, the accountant general should have tell her such a thing is not possible. I think the two of them needs to go.

There's no sane explanation the minister or the attorney general can give for willingly breaking Nigerian laws.

268 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Preenxess(f): 7:22am On Jan 06
Very soon the masses will revolt and these beautiful vultures will attempt running for their lives but it'll be too late then.
Endsars and the recent women protest in bokkoss is a warning sign.

Keep taking the masses for a ride.

174 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by SharingIsLife(m): 7:23am On Jan 06
Personal money shall in no circumstances be paid into a government bank account, nor shall any public money be paid into a private bank account. An officer who pays public money into a private account is deemed to have done so with fraudulent intention.

But, they are all doing this from the President to the last person in the government. If not, the money Nigeria has can easily be utilized to make life very beautiful for everyone. Check this out and see just how easy it can be for the government to transform Nigeria for good even without spending much.
NIGERIA TO THE WORLD #SHARPSHARP: How To Speedily Turn Japa And Yahuu Syndromes Into Big Economic Advantages For Nigerians.

Instead, they are wasting the future of our youths by stashing away the money.

87 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by slaawomirr: 7:26am On Jan 06
Damnnn niggar
Preenxess:
Very soon the masses will revolt and these beautiful vultures will attempt running for their lives but it'll be too late then.
My dear sorry to break your heart. A revolution willl never occur in Nigeria
Should I tell you a secrete about Nigeria
Nobody is angry about bad government in this country we all are pretending to be angry because it is not our tribesmen or religion person that is in government..
Don't be surprised when we call for a protest against this woman her tribes people will not participate. The end sars protest the north did not participate because it was seen as a fight against their own son Buhari. Even some major part of South west did not participate because it was seen as a disruption to the quest and ambition of tinubu's 2023 candidacy
We were all aware that Tinubu's administration is gonna be a repetition of Buhari's tenure because Tinubu was part of it and he was the one who brought upon us Buhari's administration
Instead they allowed tribalism and religion sentiments again
Oh so the suffering of tinubu is greater than that of Jonathan subsidy removal but yet the voices that led a protest and shut down Jonathan subsidy removal suddenly lost their voice.
Should I tell you another secret.
It will be difficult for the nation to unite against any president from the three major tribe due to tribalism

Light up my weed with anger while I stake some football games this morning

282 Likes 38 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by athaboi(f): 7:26am On Jan 06
Thieves, that's what all this people are! Pathetic and shameless people....the earlier Nigerians know that there's no hope if Nigeria is continued to run in this type of structure the better for all us! Thank God I don't stay in that shit hole, I only have sympathy bcoz I am from there

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by crossfm: 7:26am On Jan 06
Hehehe.

This humanitarian ministry seems like the most corrupt ministry created by APC.

Their looting is alarming.

They are trying to prove to Nigerians that beautiful women are good in looting grin cheesy.

75 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by madridguy(m): 7:26am On Jan 06
This is the reason you see them throwing parties upon parties, going to different religious places for thanksgiving when they're appointed in any office.

Bunch of rogues.

69 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by tunwumi: 7:27am On Jan 06
It sounds crazy that an accountant of director level (means the person has served for 18 years) doesn't know payment of huge money into private, worse is personal, account is a terrible infraction.

And these same people will be quoting IFRS on petty cash! Hummm

49 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by sukkot: 7:27am On Jan 06
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by iampeterben(m): 7:27am On Jan 06
Aunty Betta now now you don dey steal money?
Office make you just enter make never reach one year, you don dey steal money.

53 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by onlinediva: 7:27am On Jan 06
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by seeker121(m): 7:28am On Jan 06
Fraud is all I see the day Nigeria will witness development is the day we stone pple who shared our commonwealth without feeling remorse or ashamed. Year in year out they came to steal and rotate positions among themselves while telling the gullible masses to keep enduring in poverty and hunger and praying for the betterment of the country.And u see them living expensive and flamboyant life,this pple are nothing but callous and wicked specie to ever grace this planet called earth.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by flexyrule(m): 7:28am On Jan 06
Lame excuse.

What if she vanishes with the money?

Just imagine the type of people that are handling the affairs of our country.

She can't even put up a convincing response..

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Kirsa9: 7:28am On Jan 06

1 Like

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by jmoore(m): 7:28am On Jan 06
Fantastically corrupt.

If one minister loots 30 billion, thatt means all ministers, heads of agencies, etc will be looting trillions.

The devil must be a Nigerian.

These idiots will tell us to do BVN, etc. But when they want to share money to Nigerians, they will avoid paying directly to beneficaries account because it will ruin their corruption plan.

58 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by ruggedtimi(m): 7:29am On Jan 06
Where those people asking for evidence...Me i dont ever doubt any news concerning money fraud by nigeria Politicians.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Offpoint1: 7:29am On Jan 06
grin Public funds into personal account, you go explain tire.

It's hard to believe Nigeria is broke, each time I read the news... Billions or close to billion is being looted.

It's hard to see Nigeria public office holder that steals 1m or 10m, these guys are always on billions or 300-900m least.

Until there's public executions for looters in Nigeria, nothing will change till the end of the world.

Nigeria is the only country in the world that borrows money to loot.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by easyfem(m): 7:29am On Jan 06
there is no justification in personalize public fund , this guys dey use us dey play ooooo, every politician is just looking for a way to scam and took all the money away and the masses are paying for it directly or indirectly ... this thing don dey too much ooooo

madam abeg honor ur invitation if u no want make ogun kill u

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Bitterkolasweet: 7:29am On Jan 06
Just few months she's already stealing billions.
Funny thing is the money will be recivered ans relooted again. Aloota continua.

For permanet cure for weak erection, quick ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, Watery and low Sperm Count and improvement of your girth reach me on WhatsApp with the number on my signature.

Its 100 percent herbal and 90 percent bitter kola made without any side effects.

If after one week you do not get your desired result you are free to report my bank account and call me out on by posting my details online.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Risingblue008(m): 7:30am On Jan 06
Thief

5 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Welrez(m): 7:30am On Jan 06
A pattern seems to have been established: Steal as much as you can, be prosecuted, forfeit a tiny part of the loot, and go home with the chunk of it. See how this one will develop one phantom illness the moment she is sacked and EFCC invites her for questioning.

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by flexyrule(m): 7:31am On Jan 06
Preenxess:

Story.

Nigerians don't have that kind of liver.

They'd rather pray and fast.

13 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by LOVEGINO(m): 7:31am On Jan 06
Preenxess:

when oooo. Who go light d fire 🔥.
Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Alhajikd: 7:31am On Jan 06
angry
Mama, you are a thief

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by arcahmad(m): 7:31am On Jan 06
I think looking at the way transanction was carriedout, l can conclude that she was not aware of the law or doesnt have the intention of diverting the fund for personal use. I have confidence she will do her best with time. Even if she was removed, walahi she will be replaced with big thief.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by azpekuliar: 7:31am On Jan 06
slaawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

My dear sorry to break your heart. A revolution willl never occur in Nigeria
Should I tell you a secrete about Nigeria
Nobody is angry about bad government in this country we all are pretending to be angry because it is not our tribesmen or religion person that is in government

Nothing but the truth. As long as the incompetent buffon is from our tribe he can run the ship aground and we will never care.

5 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by ItswellMike: 7:32am On Jan 06

4 Likes

Re: Betta Edu: Why I Approved Payment Of ₦‎585 Million Into A Private Account by Nahunger(m): 7:32am On Jan 06
grin
See mind.

Anyway no gree for anybody this year o, tell dem why you approve the funds to private account, no gree at all

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Should Be Proud Of 2023 Presidential Election — Catriona Laing / Jethro Yakubu, Taraba Commissioner Resumes Work Under A Tree (Photo) / Peter Obi Declares Intention To Contest For 2023 Presidential Election (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.