Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend (28365 Views)

We've Broken Up, But He Still shows concern. / Have You Ever Broken Up With Someone Like This? (PHOTO) / White Girl And Her Dog Fighting With Her Nigerian Boyfriend Ex-girlfriend(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 8:04pm On Jan 07
Hi all.

I want to start off with a few important pointers/ disclaimers.

1. I am NOT Nigerian and do not claim to know everything about Nigeria.
2. Please do not be xenophobic or rude to me. I'm not strong enough lol
3. I will be as respectful as possible💞
4. I'll call the man in the story "Sam"

Okay so I'm a lady from a Southern African country. I met a Nigerian man who came here for "japa"/ "looking for better opportunities". I met him after he had arrived within 2months. I was walking into the club with my friends and he was in a vehicle with his friends. The driver stopped me to greet and he said hello. Sam greeted me and the driver asked for my number on his behalf lol. It was cute.

First thoughts, he was handsome in the face but definitely not anyone I'd be interested in talking to. He was unkept and clearly struggling financially just from his appearance. Anyway, he called that night to see if I'd be willing to chill with him and his friends, and I agreed. They came back around. He came into my car but I was put off by him telling me I'm so beautiful, calling me babe and saying "I'd wish to kiss you". Omg I was sooooo freaked out. Anyway I told him to leave my car and never call me again. Within an hour, my car's tyre burst ON THE flipping HIGHWAY😲. I called my father but he was almost 2 hours away so I called him and he came within 20minutes. Him nd his brothers came and fixed it for me.

From that day, we spoke and discussed every single day. I had never been with a Nigerian man or any serious relationship before but I liked him. I supported him financially for the longest time because I saw potential in him. I bought him his firs new clothes here, took him to all the nice places, and helped him with personal hygiene etc. I saw him as a friend. He is genuinely a good good person and I fell for his soul. His just so normal and pure. I am considered pretty, intelligent and independent so I won't lie and say that I can't find anyone else but he has my heart tbh.

Everything was going good but after 3months of being together everyday, he obviously wanted the Bleep. It was such a huge deal for me because I take that seriously. But anyway our relationship progressed in that direction - positively.

He would share the little money he had with me and food with me etc if I had recklessly spent my money etc lol. I was giving him a salary to start a business. Mind you, I studied psychology and I'm smart enough to know when I'm being scammed just because I'm a paranoid/anxious detective type naturally 🙈 anyway, we had the most incredible times and I know without a Shadow of a doubt he loves me.

Fast forward 2 months then I find that he is married with 3 kids. I knew about the kids - after finding out. Buti understand why he'd be hesitant to share that. My father is from a polygamous home so I do have strong feelings about that arrangement and single probably thought it's a bad idea to tell me. Well I found out, I was upset af. But I got over it. He never forced me to or anything but I genuinely thought I'd figure it out.

Well it's been 3 years. We have NEVER argued once about anything. We have the most compatible personalities. His calm, sweet and soft spoken. Same with me. His business is doing good and he has put me on a salary as I resigned, and want to start a business.

Nigerian men are the hill I'm willing to die in lol. I had Nigerian friends in the past (Yoruba) but Igbo men are just built different. They're natural born providers. I have access to his phones and vice versa. He knows everything about me and so do I. Including his marital issues (which are unfortunately plenty).

I know my family would not accept me marrying him although my mom adores him. My father would probably have a heart attack. They worked hard for us to be very well balanced, mentally strong women so I'm so surprised that I landed up in this position. I have an incredible family and lack nothing. Financially, emotionally, mentally... Everythingally...my family is able to provide.

Maybe because his my first actual relationship, I am failing to see the big picture. Truth is... I know he'll forever care for me but I also know that his wife only loves him for money, and uses his children against him. She literally told him she'd use juju on him and deny him access to the children if he leaves her.

I thought it'd be easy. Divorce in my country is so accessible and in a situation where a husband has suffered immeasurable abuse from a woman, he definitely has grounds to divorce her. Mind you, I know this because I went through his old messages from 8+ years ago and she was always berating him, accusing him, being hot and cold etc. She's so ungrateful and her only obsession is money. She compared him to Obi Cubana😅 calling out his supposed incompetence. Well I don't know, men aren't just money. They're people with feelings and lives, they deserve love regardless.

For an example, we bought his dad motorcycle and she complained that her dad didn't get one 😩 him and I are now financially good and blessed but I know deep in my soul that I cannot be a second wife.

This post is because I broke up with him yesterday and I know for a fact his not allowed to divorce since this was a marriage introduced by his dad. She has a child from another relationship but nobody even knows. I mean she's a liar liar. He knows but his family don't. And the kids is like 15.

Anyway, I wasn't to know what you guys think of this situation. Just chat honestly. I know he won't divorce and she would kill him but I also don't know what it's like to be a second wife or partner to a Nigerian. It sounds like a really bad idea because I like being the only one for my baby.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by abutujj: 8:17pm On Jan 07
[quote author=Jackie999 post=127828034]Hi all.

Okay so I'm a lady from a Southern African country. I met a Nigerian man who came here for "japa"/ "looking for better opportunities". I met him after he had arrived within 2months. I was walking into the club with my friends and he was in a vehicle with his friends. The driver stopped me to greet and he said hello. Sam greeted me and the driver asked for my number on his behalf lol. It was cute.

First thoughts, he was handsome in the face but definitely not anyone I'd be interested in talking to. He was unkept and clearly struggling financially just from his appearance. Anyway, he called that night to see if I'd be willing to chill with him and his friends, and I agreed. They came back around. He came into my car but I was put off by him telling me I'm so beautiful, calling me babe and saying "I'd wish to kiss you". Omg I was sooooo freaked out. Anyway I told him to leave my car and never call me again. Within an hour, my car's tyre burst ON THE flipping HIGHWAY😲. I called my father but he was almost 2 hours away so I called him and he came within 20minutes. Him nd his brothers came and fixed it for me.

From that day, we spoke and discussed every single day. I had never been with a Nigerian man or any serious relationship before but I liked him. I supported him financially for the longest time because I saw potential in him. I bought him his firs new clothes here, took him to all the nice places, and helped him with personal hygiene etc. I saw him as a friend. He is genuinely a good good person and I fell for his soul. His just so normal and pure. I am considered pretty, intelligent and independent so I won't lie and say that I can't find anyone else but he has my heart tbh.

Everything was going good but after 3months of being together everyday, he obviously wanted the Bleep. It was such a huge deal for me because I take that seriously. But anyway our relationship progressed in that direction - positively.

He would share the little money he had with me and food with me etc if I had recklessly spent my money etc lol. I was giving him a salary to start a business. Mind you, I studied psychology and I'm smart enough to know when I'm being scammed just because I'm a paranoid/anxious detective type naturally 🙈 anyway, we had the most incredible times and I know without a Shadow of a doubt he loves me.

Fast forward 2 months then I find that he is married with 3 kids. I knew about the kids - after finding out. Buti understand why he'd be hesitant to share that. My father is from a polygamous home so I do have strong feelings about that arrangement and single probably thought it's a bad idea to tell me. Well I found out, I was upset af. But I got over it. He never forced me to or anything but I genuinely thought I'd figure it out.

Well it's been 3 years. We have NEVER argued once about anything. We have the most compatible personalities. His calm, sweet and soft spoken. Same with me. His business is doing good and he has put me on a salary as I resigned, and want to start a business.

Nigerian men are the hill I'm willing to die in lol. I had Nigerian friends in the past (Yoruba) but Igbo men are just built different. They're natural born providers. I have access to his phones and vice versa. He knows everything about me and so do I. Including his marital issues (which are unfortunately plenty).

I know my family would not accept me marrying him although my mom adores him. My father would probably have a heart attack. They worked hard for us to be very well balanced, mentally strong women so I'm so surprised that I landed up in this position. I have an incredible family and lack nothing. Financially, emotionally, mentally... Everythingally...my family is able to provide.

Maybe because his my first actual relationship, I am failing to see the big picture. Truth is... I know he'll forever care for me but I also know that his wife only loves him for money, and uses his children against him. She literally told him she'd use juju on him and deny him access to the children if he leaves her.

I thought it'd be easy. Divorce in my country is so accessible and in a situation where a husband has suffered immeasurable abuse from a woman, he definitely has grounds to divorce her. Mind you, I know this because I went through his old messages from 8+ years ago and she was always berating him, accusing him, being hot and cold etc. She's so ungrateful and her only obsession is money. She compared him to Obi Cubana😅 calling out his supposed incompetence. Well I don't know, men aren't just money. They're people with feelings and lives, they deserve love regardless.

For an example, we bought his dad motorcycle and she complained that her dad didn't get one 😩 him and I are now financially good and blessed but I know deep in my soul that I cannot be a second wife.

This post is because I broke up with him yesterday and I know for a fact his not allowed to divorce since this was a marriage introduced by his dad. She has a child from another relationship but nobody even knows. I mean she's a liar liar. He knows but his family don't. And the kids is like 15.

Anyway, I wasn't to know what you guys think of this situation. Just chat honestly. I know he won't divorce and she would kill him but I also don't know what it's like to be a second wife or partner to a Nigerian. It sounds like a really bad idea because I like being the only one for my baby. [/quot

Hmm I will advice you to follow your heart

5 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by MatrixReloaded: 8:17pm On Jan 07
Give ur life to Jesus christ. His is the auto and finisher of your faith. You won't divorce him if you marry Jesus.

16 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 8:31pm On Jan 07
Why is this useless and worthless? I'm just asking for comments. Please, it's a genuine post

Alhajikd:
sad
As a seriously minded born again Christian, I have made up my mind not to be commenting on useless and worthless post this year

I come in peace though

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by JealousCobra(m): 8:31pm On Jan 07
Jackie999:
Hi all.

Anyway, I wasn't to know what you guys think of this situation. Just chat honestly. I know he won't divorce and she would kill him but I also don't know what it's like to be a second wife or partner to a Nigerian. It sounds like a really bad idea because I like being the only one for my baby.

😎
Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 8:32pm On Jan 07
Alright. Thank you

MatrixReloaded:
Give ur life to Jesus christ. His is the auto and finisher of your faith. You won't divorce him if you marry Jesus.
Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Smithwilliams826: 8:40pm On Jan 07
I only read sci-fi, adventure, or action stories/novel.
This your story is to boring and long

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by 4mee: 8:44pm On Jan 07
If this is true, you're being played.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Proserpina: 8:44pm On Jan 07

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by HardBishop: 8:46pm On Jan 07
[quote author=abutujj post=127828251][/quote]
you said our relationship progressed positively in that direction ✌️✌️ did he bleep you or not? I want to check something

5 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by advanceDNA: 8:47pm On Jan 07
Confused chick can't decide if she wants to be a second wife to a naija dude she loves scatter and been dating for 3 years but broke up with yesterday......

I didn't see it in her write up....so I'm not sure the guy has asked her to be his wife...

She nor know say naija dey craze........
.never assume anything with a naija man he has not taken action on.....

... Naija man can have side chic for 10 years oooo.......they can cuddle after sex, kiss u in the fore head and credit ur account well...but they are never confused with where their heart is..

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jking20(m): 8:49pm On Jan 07
Anything wey concern relationship shouldn't be making headlines here, we are damn tired of all this relationship issues left and right. Please contact a marriage counselor for advice...

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 8:54pm On Jan 07
He has asked and spoken to his wife. Like 6 months ago. She agreed saying she has no choice but now she's always complaining that he does not have time for her anymore... that's another problem

advanceDNA:
Confused chick can't decide if she wants to be a second wife to a naija dude she loves scatter and been dating for 3 years but broke up with yesterday......

I didn't see it in her write up....so I'm not sure the guy has asked her to be his wife...

She nor know say naija dey craze........
.never assume anything with a naija man he has not taken action on.....

... Naija man can have side chic for 10 years oooo.......they can cuddle after sex, kiss u in the fore head and credit ur account well...but they are never confused with where their heart is..

2 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 8:55pm On Jan 07
Yoh okay fair enough.

Jking20:
Anything wey concern relationship shouldn't be making headlines here, we are damn tired of all this relationship issues left and right. Please contact a marriage counselor for advice...
Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Ballzproblem2: 9:01pm On Jan 07
wetin you want make we do like this?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by advanceDNA: 9:01pm On Jan 07
Jackie999:
He has asked and spoken to his wife. Like 6 months ago. She agreed saying she has no choice but now she's always complaining that he does not have time for her anymore... that's another problem

What has her complain on him not having her time got to do with him being with u that u claim he loves ??

If a naija man u claim is doing financially well wants to really really really marry u ...madam u won't be worried about anything except aso ebi, and the dance moves u will chose on ur wedding day...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by tochez24(m): 9:04pm On Jan 07
Jackie999:
Hi all.

If you have truly been with a Nigerian or Nigerians😁, you will know first hand that we don't like reading long stories or wasting our time on non relevant issues especially the ones without any money involved😊😊

I can guarantee you baby girl that 95% of Nigerians wouldn't even read all this you have just typed up there⚠️⚠️⚠️

So now clearly we have established that you know NOTHING about Nigerians and probably haven't been with one too♂️

16 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 9:07pm On Jan 07
How?

Smithwilliams826:
I only read sci-fi, adventure, or action stories/novel.
This your story is to boring and long
Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 9:16pm On Jan 07
We could get married tomorrow if I agreed. I'm not going to compare cultures but here marriage isn't do or die. I love him, yes but I am confused that's why I posted.

Her complaining does affect me it affectsu boyfriend.

advanceDNA:

What has her complain on him not having her time got to do with him being with u that u claim he loves ??

If a naija man u claim is doing financially well wants to really really really marry u ...madam u won't be worried about anything except aso ebi, and the dance moves u will chose on ur wedding day...

2 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 9:17pm On Jan 07
No issue. The ones who have responded, have helped me. Apologies for wasting your precious time.

tochez24:

If you have truly been with a Nigerian or Nigerians😁, you will know first hand that we don't like reading long stories or wasting our time on non relevant issues especially the ones without any money involved😊😊

I can guarantee you baby girl that 95% of Nigerians wouldn't even read all this you have just typed up there⚠️⚠️⚠️

So now clearly we have established that you know NOTHING about Nigerians and probably haven't been with one too♂️

10 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Goreplanet: 9:37pm On Jan 07
Let me tell you something dear,I understand the fact you don't want to be a second wife,I respect that choice..
-Now ask yourself this questions:
Are you missing him now that you've broken up with him?
-what if it turns out he's been lying to you all these years (anything is possible)
-can you build another relationship without thinking about him after now?
All these questions I'm asking you will open your eyes if you look at the picture very closely, experience has thought me to put my life and happiness first before anything,..you have a life, focus on your own life and happiness,that man you're talking about has a wife and kids already.. just focus on your life,find your own man and live happily
Don't stress yourself up

18 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Demigod22: 10:13pm On Jan 07
I will advise you to leave relationship alone and consider career in writing. However, you should improve your diction, imagery and artistry to make your story more captivating.

Perhaps, you will make a very terrible-excellent career as a feminist from this funny experience of yours.

2 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 10:39pm On Jan 07
I am not a feminist. I have no interest in writing. I am successful in my line of work, thanks for your suggestions and God bless your sarcastic heart.

With regards to the advise, I have decided to leave for good. I appreciate your input

Demigod22:
I will advise you to leave relationship alone and consider career in writing. However, you should improve your diction, imagery and artistry to make your story more captivating.

Perhaps, you will make a very terrible-excellent career as a feminist from this funny experience of yours.

7 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 10:43pm On Jan 07
This is the best comment. I appreciate your input.

To answer your questions.
- I am not missing him physically but definitely thinking about him.
- I've always put myself first and thus built a good life for myself but this time I thought compromising would've served me well. Tbh, it's not with it.

He has 3 children. I cannot even imagine explaining that to my parents. I've been a perfect daughter and I guess this relationship is not worth tarnishing my reputation over. It's very shameful to me (privately) to love a man who I know I won't ever completely call my own. I love his kids, we support them etc but there's nothing I can do except leave and choose my future

Thanks

Goreplanet:
Let me tell you something dear,I understand the fact you don't want to be a second wife,I respect that choice..
-Now ask yourself this questions:
Are you missing him now that you've broken up with him?
-what if it turns out he's been lying to you all these years (anything is possible)
-can you build another relationship without thinking about him after now?
All these questions I'm asking you will open your eyes if you look at the picture very closely, experience has thought me to put my life and happiness first before anything,..you have a life, focus on your own life and happiness,that man you're talking about has a wife and kids already.. just focus on your life,find your own man and live happily
Don't stress yourself up

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Savedday2: 10:43pm On Jan 07
Why broke up with him when you will still go back to beg him?

Kindly remember the knacking. Before the end of the year, you will surely go beg him.

3 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 10:57pm On Jan 07
Yeah that's an impossibility. I've made up my mind. I'd be silly to think that I'm special when these type of relationships always end in the same way. With the other woman / "second wife" being compromised.

He loves and respects me and me too but the love definitely doesn't override my sensibilities. I was just going through the most this evening but now I've gained clarity thanks to the comments by his fellow Nigerians lol

Savedday2:
Why broke up with him when you will still go back to beg him?

Kindly remember the knacking. Before the end of the year, you will surely go beg him.

1 Like

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Jackie999(f): 10:58pm On Jan 07
🎥

JealousCobra:

😎

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by Goreplanet: 10:58pm On Jan 07
Jackie999:
This is the best comment. I appreciate your input.

To answer your questions.
- I am not missing him physically but definitely thinking about him.
- I've always put myself first and thus built a good life for myself but this time I thought compromising would've served me well. Tbh, it's not with it.

He has 3 children. I cannot even imagine explaining that to my parents. I've been a perfect daughter and I guess this relationship is not worth tarnishing my reputation over. It's very shameful to me (privately) to love a man who I know I won't ever completely call my own. I love his kids, we support them etc but there's nothing I can do except leave and choose my future

Thanks

Dear I understand you can't even explain it to your parent that he has a family already, they'll be very disappointed
Even if you want to defend your Choice of a man before your parent,then let It be someone you can boldly call your own completely
You don't need to share a man with someone
I want you to focus more on yourself
I'll be here and ready to cheer you up if need be
Life's just like that,you can't have it all..pls let go

8 Likes

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by JealousCobra(m): 11:01pm On Jan 07
Jackie999:
🎥

Nice to meet you.

1 Like

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by JoshTim: 11:39pm On Jan 07
Them still dey use this one do suya grin grin grin...e go soon clear...it must be clear....lol. na jjc be this one sha. She even dey tell us say she be psychologist, for where naija boy dey. Make we tell her?...boys say make we leave you make you see fire.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Broken Up With My Nigerian Boyfriend by EEIA: 11:46pm On Jan 07
JoshTim:
Them still dey use this one do suya....e go soon clear...it must be clear....lol. na jjc be this one sha. She even dey tell us say she be psychologist, for where naija boy dey. Make we tell her?...boys say make we leave you make you see fire.
(In Jamaican patois) She dunno. grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Is That One Thing People Tend To Mistake Your Type Of Person For?? / I Lose Confidence Whenever I'm Complimented About My Looks / Nigerian Men Are Hardworking, Respectful And Don't Cheat' - Ghanaian Lady Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.