Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,011 members, 7,821,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (63572 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2011
Andre create a thread and I will meet you there. In my opinion the Obi of Onitsha is by far the most revered traditional Igbo monarch. In fact, the Asagba is not that much regarded by Asaba people who see him simply as a custodian of their tradition and nothing else. The authority for most Asaba villages reside with the federating village heads or diokpa as Anioma people call them.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2011
netsurf:

I always prefer 'standing aloof' to watch/read most  comments to threads here on N/L but you are always a profound responder even when you joke. Yes, these people celebrating are actually descendants of Oduduwa, look at the names of the chieftain titles , they are all of Yoruba origins.

I know they would disagree but the truth will not be deterred. call a rose by a thousand names, it would still smell like a rose.

Yoruba people themselves aren't descendants of Arabic Odudwa, let alone Umu eze Chima.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by AndreUweh(m): 7:20pm On Nov 06, 2011
netsurf:

I always prefer 'standing aloof' to watch/read most comments to threads here on N/L but you are always a profound responder even when you joke. Yes, these people celebrating are actually descendants of Oduduwa, look at the names of the chieftain titles , they are all of Yoruba origins.

I know they would disagree but the truth will not be deterred. call a rose by a thousand names, it would still smell like a rose.
Agbalanze, ozo and other titles are of Yoruba origin?. Are you seeking for an attention or you just want to display stupidity in this thread?. Poor boy, I advice you to scram as you have nothing sensible to contribute.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:35pm On Nov 06, 2011
Ifyalways, daalu IYOM EGO. I love the Igbo culture and I fiercely defend it and thats why I want Igbos to accept their identity and stop linking themselves to a DEMONIC CULTURE of the BENIN. Even the so called BENIN culture couldnt be more appealing to OURS,yet you kept hearing people saying "we came from BENIN"!! I bet you, if you trully know the BENIN traditions and how its celebrated you will not want anything to do with them,and you will also find out that their influence on you is very faint.
The OGBONI cult originated from there and its only BENIN and YORUBA people that practice that DEMONIC!! I seriously wish they(ezechima decendants)had picked up that OGBONI BARBARIC traditions and didnt have the beautiful OZO HERITAGE that gives them so much pride,gallant and valor yet they open there mouth to distance themselves when its cconvenient for them.
This is where I sheathe my sword but before I leave I will like those who believe ONITSHA culture was influenced by BENIN to tell me which aspect of ONITSHA culture that reflects BENIN influence and I OZO DI ALOR will tell you how its not BENIN. The BENIN has a very barbaric,fetish,scary and uninviting just like the YORUBA'S.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by tlops(m): 10:41pm On Nov 06, 2011
colorful.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 1:54am On Nov 07, 2011
IGWE Nnayelugo Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe. OBI OF ONICHA cool cool cool cool cool cool

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 1:58am On Nov 07, 2011
ACHEBE names is an IDEMMILI NAME

Example[b] CHINUA ACHEBE[/b]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 2:25am On Nov 07, 2011
ADA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 2:27am On Nov 07, 2011
IHE EJIRI BURU ONICHA ADO

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by odumchi: 4:38am On Nov 07, 2011
Nri Priest, iriri uwa

Asi na onye odo kparam na echirigi ozo mgbe idi Ntaa, agharim ekwe. Chai, oputara na mgbe idi Ntaa ikpuru okpu ndi Ichie gi sorokwa ndi toro eto ngu nmai nmirii? grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:22am On Nov 07, 2011
Odumchi,maybe you should write your words in english or in Igbo IZUGBE so I can understand your confusion better.

You can give your child OZO title as early as 12yrs and if you look at one of these pictures AK47MANN postec you will see some boys of about 15 yrs old or more wearing the OZO red hat and they wouldnt be wearing those hat if they havent completed their OZO rites. At least not in Idemmili!!
I hope this solves your problem.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by odumchi: 5:53am On Nov 07, 2011
Is my Igbo that hard to understand :/?

Anyway I said, if someone else had told me this, I wouldn't have believed it. So you meN that as a small boy you drank palm wine and wore the red cap while answering "ozo"?
I'm not doubting you but j just find it amazing cheesy
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:06am On Nov 07, 2011
Odumchi, I wasnt allowed to drink palm wine but my grand father has always offered me some. .lol The Ozo traditions doesnt allow you to wear the red hat until you completes all segments which takes about to phase of the rites. After the introduction rites you are not allowed to wear the red until you have completed the final one. The first phase was performed by my grandfather for us but my dad finished it while I was abroad. I have never wore the red hat but I can go now and buy it and legitimately wear it without being summoned by the ISI OZO's. I hope I making a point here.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ifyalways(f): 12:49pm On Nov 07, 2011
@Odumchi,Ndi bee Nne m gburu m odu aka abuo na nwata too.Ngwa tue m aha! Aha Odu m bu "Igwe Nwanyi Nne bu ndu" cool

@Nri priest,How is Ozo rites performed at Idemili?In Onicha it takes like 2 weeks or more.

. . .ozokwa,otu a I na anoghi n'ulo,I na eketa oge(ego na mmanya) oge o bula mmadu na echi ozo?As onye Odu m bu,Oge O bula nwanyi o bula(within my mom's villa) na agbu odu,a nam eketa oge ego na mmanya.Someone picks it up for me,likewise for Ozo titled men.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:25pm On Nov 07, 2011
Ify,in most Idemmili towns people generally greet women with Odu title " Iyom Ego" , "Iyom Aku" or just " Iyom".
In Idemmili the Ozo rites takes about two meetings to complete,the final phase is called "ISA ILE" (purification of oneself my the ISI OZOs). . . Ify,as you know it takes a lot of money to achieve this, hence it some people years to complete their rites. Ozo title in Idemmili loosely signifies wealth and respect. . . The Igba Odu as u also know can take a fortune to achieve that most older women in Idemmile got the title from their husband,mother,father and children. There is "Odu aka"(the hand title) and "Odu ukwu"(leg title) and you must do the "Odu aka" taking first before the "Odu ukwu" (which is the most expensive of both),or you can even take both but its a lot of douh!!!
Even there is another group of Ozo in Umuoji that permits you to wear some kind of traditional ankle braces even the Nwanyi Odus wear them too.
Ify,ebe obu na nde nne gi chili gi ODU mgbe idi na umuaka kam jiluzia oge wee tue gi oke afa I chili, IGWE NWANYI NNE BU NDU!!
Ify, onye ebee ka ibu di ?
Ify, the problem we have with this glamorous heritage is that youths of today dont fancy it like in the past!!
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:15pm On Nov 07, 2011
IHE EJIRI BURU ONICHA ERIKA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:18pm On Nov 07, 2011
IGWE Nnayelugo Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe.

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:19pm On Nov 07, 2011
OFALA OFALA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:47pm On Nov 07, 2011
OFALA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:48pm On Nov 07, 2011
IHE IJE A BU ONICHA ERIKA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:51pm On Nov 07, 2011

[b]OBI OF ONICHA
[/b]

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:54pm On Nov 07, 2011
GREETING CHIEF BOSAH

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:56pm On Nov 07, 2011
IHE EJI A BU OINCHA ERIKA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 6:58pm On Nov 07, 2011
IHE EJI A BU OINCHA ERIKA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:00pm On Nov 07, 2011

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:18pm On Nov 07, 2011
MR FRIEND MENAKAYA BENDON

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:19pm On Nov 07, 2011
ASIKA AND BENDON

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:20pm On Nov 07, 2011
YOUTHS SPORT IN ONICHA SPONSOR BY IGWE ALFRED

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:22pm On Nov 07, 2011
CHIEF NNAMDI OTUKA

SHOWING MOVES cheesy

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:24pm On Nov 07, 2011
CHIEF NNAMDI OTUKA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:25pm On Nov 07, 2011
CHIEF NNAMDI OTUKA

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:26pm On Nov 07, 2011

IN HIS THRONE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

African Tribeswoman In Supermarket Wearing Goat Skins & Mud For Sunscreen (pix) / Oba Of Benin Banishes Chief Ogiugo After Cursing Him (Video) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Burial Photos, Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.