Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice (34282 Views)

Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? / Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by ravensckar(m): 11:08am On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I recently applied to work in an organisation.

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PAY YOU?

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Anyone with this experience? Please console me.

Just resign from that job because it will make you miserable. I was once a victim of such. In my own case, the Director deliberately deceived me by telling me that my demands were way higher than what they pay. I found out on my first day on the job that I was played and I went straight to her. She told me it was part of 'negotiation' and that it's unprofessional of me to seek such information.

I kukuma didn't argue with her. She appealed to me and told me that my salary will be reviewed upon confirmation (after 6 months). I just smiled and left her presence. The next day I refused to resume. She called and pleaded, her husband called too and pleaded. I told them that I was done. You see my life, once I find out that someone has deceived me, it will be very hard to work with such person. Hence, I'll just move on. cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by DivinegiftofGod: 11:37am On Jan 13
Why are you sounding like this? They gave you what you bargained for, you're now feeling bad. Please don't let people see you as an ingrate. Just stop discussing anything salary with the other staffs.

Something similar happened where I work. Though I made a fairly good bargain with them, a bit higher or same as the regular staff. I'll say higher because the regular staff are on full time bases while I'm on partime.so if you weigh it by the number of times I go there I earn more.

So I discovered the head of department was earning a little higher and I became very uneasy about it. What did I do?, I put in for increment. Though I have spent like two years before I discovered but my pay was increased to the tune of the Head of departments salary. Don't know if they later increased hers again and I don't want to know.

Just be grateful that you were given what you bargained for and have peace of mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Demigod22: 11:39am On Jan 13
Bluntguy:
It's not always good to suggest what you should be paid by your employers. You should have told them that whatever pay that goes with the position you are applying for is okay by you. This is because the organization already has a payment structure on ground. The payment structure is always based on qualification and experience.

I will advise you just do your job till the end of the month. I am sure you will be paid

based on their payment structure. By the way, you should have gotten your employment letter by now and what you would be paid is always specified in it. Good luck bro. Don't feel bad, rather hope for the best.

When I was asked about my payment, I responded with this answer. Few days later, I was offered 70k with two months probation to see if I will improve after the training.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by RomanceMoney(m): 11:42am On Jan 13
faceland:

If he works hard (solving problem and not just entitlement mentally), they would increase the salary naturally without any requests.

You are right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by weslay: 11:43am On Jan 13
Those guys are wicked... I remember a friend made a similar mistake. He demanded for 250k monthly during the interview. After the entire process he saw 16m per annum on his offer letter.

HR reps should learn to do better. Situations like this will do more harm than good. Now they have successfully engaged a disgruntled employee which will likely rub off negatively on the team.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MarketDispatch: 11:46am On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I re

If the Company is paying what you had asked for during the interview, then the Company is not at fault...they are paying you what you asked for

Your right answer should have been...I believe the Company has a pay grade they pay people that work in similar position..
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Athemisia: 11:50am On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

That's why I always ask for ridiculous amount (higher than usual) when ask that question.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Demigod22: 11:51am On Jan 13
OP, thanks for bringing this up. I am learning so much from this.

The last interview I attended in an Estate firm, I made sure I created a massive impression and I did. I even wrote three radio advertisement script for them instead of one requested.

They asked me about the payment, I said I believe such a firm have salary structure, I don't know my role yet but I should be paid according to the office I will work, the lady said supposing someone is paying 125k a month and another pay me 45k with 5 percent commission on every sale I do, which one will I take? I just stared at her.

Four days later, she texted me and later called me that I have the job, my salary is 70k and I will be on probation for two months and trained for that two months, if I improve, they will talk about salary increase or let me go.

My question is, for the experience ones in the house, is this offer a good one? She said I will get 5 percent on every sale I make. I haven't worked in Estate firm before though, so what's your advice?

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by rickleye: 11:51am On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Just put your head to the ground and work. They paid you what you asked for.

That said , some companies usually start you off with a 3 or 6 months probation period . If it’s the same for you see if you can come up with some hard evidence from Google showing average salary for your position.
Present this to HR and see if they will adjust it.

Otherwise, you can wait for yearly salary evaluation to bring it up. Or if you really want to go for broke , inform them you got an offer for the said amount which represent current market value and would like to know if the company will match it before you depart. ( they might call your bluff )

Godspeed.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by muyico(m): 12:11pm On Jan 13
Maybe dey pay by d years sum1 ve spents working
Same thing is happening where am working now!
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by muyico(m): 12:12pm On Jan 13
But ha u sure d secretary is saying d true or just kidding?
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by sammirano: 12:19pm On Jan 13
You were not supposed to state an amount, but agree to the company 0ay according to role.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by sleeknaija(m): 12:19pm On Jan 13
obinna58:
It’s not a problem as long as you’re good at your job, it’ll adjust fast

What sort of adjustment is that? Someone is earning way lower than what he supposed to earn and u are saying he will adjust. Na wa

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by sonofsteven: 12:20pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Resign and re-apply again

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Davidchung77: 12:20pm On Jan 13
Are you tired of being stuck in the same MMR bracket in DOTA2? Do you dream of climbing the ranks and showcasing your skills on a grander stage? Look no further, because we have just the solution for you - Phantom Assassin! This elusive hero has the potential to turn the tides of battle and skyrocket your MMR like never before. <a href="https://www.advanceddrivingacademy.net/">Nexus Slot</a>
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by sleeknaija(m): 12:22pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

The fault was from you, you should have done proper findings about the salary range for the post you were interviewed for. You can ask for salary increment after working for some months and this should be based on your performance for that period.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Quebec91(m): 12:22pm On Jan 13
cheesy
incandescentena:
Do your job and your reward will be given to you in Heaven
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by worldclass68(m): 12:23pm On Jan 13
U may ask for salary raise after few months...dont just quite.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Cutehector(m): 12:24pm On Jan 13
The company dey krase.. Thats abuse. The moment i find out, i'm resigning. I dont care if there is no job outside.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by ghiloman28(m): 12:28pm On Jan 13
Even if you are not smart enough to get some information about the company before going for the interview. The company is not fair they will have just placed you on salary of that position but nothing spoil do your work diligently your salary will be review and increase in a very short period.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by atiku4President(m): 12:28pm On Jan 13
You made a mistake by giving them a figure. They were mot supposed to hire you in the first place cos it shows you didn't do any background checks about the organisation before going for the interview. You didn't prepare well for the interview. Perhaps, cos you demonstrated exceptional competences or skills in the area you are needed. They are giving you what you asked for as a purnishment for your laziness.

You should have told them you are okay with what they pay others at your level.

But definitely they will increase your salary to what it's supposed to be, usually after between 3 to 6 months
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by spencekat(m): 12:29pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I've never felt so pained and defeated. I didn't do any research at all.

I applied on the recommendation of a friend.
Don't regret.Just like someone said work for two months and ask for a pay rise.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by biafraisdead(m): 12:31pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

U can lie... No serious company would under pay u cos u quoted a low figure. It is either they may not hire u(may see u as not valuable), but if they hire u they will still pay u what is due to u, so stop lying abeg.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by gigabyte13: 12:31pm On Jan 13
Eyaaaaaahhhhh
Inexperience caused you this
You should have asked them in return, how much the organization pay for such position and if they put it back to you
Then you asked twice how much you earned in your former place
Wow
Wow
Wow
Wooow
Go plenty pass ambulance own
Because na you go shock them.
E don happen sha
Put your head up and do your job, never ever look downcasted or defeated

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Lightorder: 12:32pm On Jan 13
obinna58:
It’s not a problem as long as you’re good at your job, it’ll adjust fast
please, don't advise him to adjust . He will never adjust. Don't you see that it is unfair nau.
Let him endure it for a month or two , while doing excellent work and them come with your request for a pay rise.

Ojukokoro proMAX . Na wetin e dey bring be that
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by wallarwallar(m): 12:32pm On Jan 13
Why would u apply 4 a job without knowing dere salary structure . U shud know dere strength and everything abt d company
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Gr8mind07(m): 12:32pm On Jan 13
Your offer letter might come with the right amount when issued. Stay positive Bro
Jackanda1:
No employment letter yet. But i have been told to start work. nlfpmod
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jeezuzpick(m): 12:33pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
The thing pain me wella. I intend to resign soon.

It more painful, cos someone in the management who picked a liking for me when i applied to work there was eyeing me when i mentioned the amount.

See the point?

Why HR people are not above board at all times is beyond me.

While they think they're getting the professional at a "bargain" for their company, can they keep him/her?

I've interviewed for a job before, I told them my expected salary, and the HR told me in a matter-of-fact way that what I'm expecting is about a third of the projected salary for the position!

When someone gets a job and finds out that he/she could have been paid more, the person will resign and go for another offer, at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by kaywhy09(m): 12:34pm On Jan 13
Do your job. Give them 2 months. If no change, write management to renegotiate payment. If no difference, quit!
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Anonimoux: 12:35pm On Jan 13
If na me Sha I for put mouth for high side, sometimes you gotta know your worth. Not a fan of corporate organizations though
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by bdon12: 12:35pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

U work for a stupid firm.A reasonable firm will give u a range on wat they will pay n not pay u based on wat u said.if u hav said they should pay u twice d amount they intended to pay...will they pay u that?or they will jst say this is wat we can pay.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by abobote: 12:36pm On Jan 13
You will be alright las las

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Of This Hand Works Earn The Most Money? / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward / How Much Is The Starting Salary Of A Dentist In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.