Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,769 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice (34289 Views)

Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? / Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by biafraisdead(m): 12:36pm On Jan 13
Bluntguy:
It's not always good to suggest what you should be paid by your employers. You should have told them that whatever pay that goes with the position you are applying for is okay by you. This is because the organization already has a payment structure on ground. The payment structure is always based on qualification and experience.

I will advise you just do your job till the end of the month. I am sure you will be paid based on their payment structure. By the way, you should have gotten your employment letter by now and what you would be paid is always specified in it. Good luck bro. Don't feel bad, rather hope for the best.
He is obviously lying, cos the organisation will definitely pay him accordingly, in this case the company should have a salary structure. That question can only help u to be able to earn more than what the company structured for such position, but not lower.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Anonimoux: 12:36pm On Jan 13
I would have said ₦10,000,000 Per Month. If they ask why, I would tell them why.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by gbagyiza: 12:36pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I recently applied to work in an organisation.

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PAY YOU?

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Anyone with this experience? Please console me.9

You killed yourself. Pls. If you did not do your homework to get facts about the salary range in an organization you are to attend interview and such question is thrown, just use a logical answer by saying , every standard organization has a salary scale for its staff, I will appreciate if your organization will align me with your salary scale based on my years of experience, exposure, educational/professional certificstes & the value I will bring to the company if given the opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Chosimba: 12:36pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;

Not all of it is your fault, that's why In the western world almost every job advert has a salary band attached to it, so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

The company isn't a good one as well. Each role should have a minimum amount, and you can't just pay someone lower than he deserves because he was humble.

You would probably need to resign because no negotiation will give you a 100%+ salary increase at a sitting.

One thing you can do is ask the HR what the salary band is for the role you perform. If they don't give you, you can insist that you want to make sure that you're compensated appropriately. No one can deny you this. If they refuse or say something like "that's confidential" , you leave. If they agree, you show them that you're severely disadvantaged.
I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Anyone with this experience? Please console me.

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by VULCAN(m): 12:37pm On Jan 13
I second your decision to resign.

You are not cut out for success and you cannot add value to the company so kindly leave and allow a success oriented person fill the role

The worth of a man is in how he overcomes challenges.

Look at the last line in your OP

"Can anyone console me"

How shameful.

I hope they replace you with a girl who is mentally strong.

You made a mistake and instead of you to be humble and ask for solution you came here to look for consolation.

I have already read a number of very good suggestions but was amazed to see you rejecting them and insisting that you want to resign.

Pls resign and give chance to a go getter

They even made an error in employing you because you cannot overcome the smallest challenge that you will meet while doing the work.

Resign oo

Jackanda1:
Youre right I was desperate, couldn't secure a job after a month of hunting.

I can't renegotiate the salary. They told me the nature of the job and asked me how much i wanted and i told them. The amount wasn't forced or imposed on me.

It would be foolish for me to apply for a pay raise. They can simply decline, bringing me down further. I would rather resign.

Cc: Vinnie2000 sharingIslife
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by bdon12: 12:37pm On Jan 13
Kobicove:
It's not fair for the company to knowingly pay you less than your subordinates, the fact that you asked for a less amount during the interview stage is irrelevant! undecided
My point exactly...that is not a standard firm.They are unprofessional..its not done.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by abimbola74(m): 12:38pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

The board bleeped up , they should know sooner or later you will find out about other people’s pay and that will affect your productivity. They should have pay you the exact figure they paid to the perosn that last held the post
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by biafraisdead(m): 12:38pm On Jan 13
Kobicove:
It's not fair for the company to knowingly pay you less than your subordinates, the fact that you asked for a less amount during the interview stage is irrelevant! undecided
Thank u
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Chosimba: 12:38pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

[quote author=Jackanda1 post=127915372]I recently applied to work in an organisation.

Not all of it is your fault, that's why In the western world almost every job advert has a salary band attached to it, so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

The company isn't a good one as well. Each role should have a minimum amount, and you can't just pay someone lower than he deserves because he was humble.

You would probably need to resign because no negotiation will give you a 100%+ salary increase at a sitting.

One thing you can do is ask the HR what the salary band is for the role you perform. If they don't give you, you can insist that you want to make sure that you're compensated appropriately. No one can deny you this. If they refuse or say something like "that's confidential" , you leave. If they agree, you show them that you're severely disadvantaged.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by drehdinho(m): 12:39pm On Jan 13
It could be painful honestly. But like everyone else already stated , stay calm. Work for about two months before asking for a pay rise, congratulations regardless. Don’t feel bad. It’s what people call humble beginning.

We don’t learn to run as a child. Everything is in stages. Don’t beat yourself down. Very soon you too will become a master that you rarely make such mistakes anymore.

If you don’t mind , I will like to connect with you to get more ideas on the best approaches to landing purposeful jobs.

I just started my job hunt today, and by God’s grace I am expecting decent responses and interviews in the coming weeks.

I initially thought of waiting for my results before starting with job hunting. But with the way the whole economy at this period, I had to jump right in.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Alajiki(m): 12:39pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
The thing pain me wella. I intend to resign soon.

It more painful, cos someone in the management who picked a liking for me when i applied to work there was eyeing me when i mentioned the amount.

You made a mistake. A great mistake. Don't ever mention any amount again. It could be too high or too low. I can see people asking you to always research an organisation before interview. Even if you research, except you have an insider, it's difficult to guess the pay range of some organisations.

The popular answer is: "I believe this great organisation has a budget for this position. I will go with the organisation's budget".

Note, only a very few organisation can break their pay structure for any individual, so the safest would have been to go with the organisation's budget. The organisation already know your experience and the value you're likely to add when you join, it's not likely they offer you less than their budget for the position if you did not mention a specific amount.

This is a lesson for you.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by biafraisdead(m): 12:40pm On Jan 13
Kobicove:
Thank u, the question only gives u an opportunity to earn more than others on same level.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Alamkir: 12:41pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I've never felt so pained and defeated. I didn't do any research at all.

I applied on the recommendation of a friend.

The truth is even if you do ur research, the question they ask u doesn't hav straight answer. It's a trap question, anyhow u answer it u will lose. So it's better to insist that they tell u what salary they offer for that position, then u can negotiate slightly higher from their. If they insist u mention a cap. U can jokingly say "sir, if you pay me 1mill I will collect" but never answer that question direct.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by matoota: 12:42pm On Jan 13
The company should have their salary scale, for each position. They will understand where you are coming from.

But next time, call big amount let them shout.
recently applied to work in an organisation.

[/quote]
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by RenaissanceGuy: 12:44pm On Jan 13
DivinegiftofGod:
Why are you sounding like this? They gave you what you bargained for, you're now feeling bad. Please don't let people see you as an ingrate. Just stop discussing anything salary with the other staffs.

Something similar happened where I work. Though I made a fairly good bargain with them, a bit higher or same as the regular staff. I'll say higher because the regular staff are on full time bases while I'm on partime.so if you weigh it by the number of times I go there I earn more.

So I discovered the head of department was earning a little higher and I became very uneasy about it. What did I do?, I put in for increment. Though I have spent like two years before I discovered but my pay was increased to the tune of the Head of departments salary. Don't know if they later increased hers and I don't want to know.

Just be grateful that you were given what you bargained for and have peace of mind.
You said you requested for an increase when you faced a similar scenario, but you're asking him to be grateful that he was given what he bargained for. Please, is everything OK with you??
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Stevenbright(m): 12:47pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Work until your first month's salary is paid. They may actually pay you with the salary structure of the company. Otherwise, you can then meet the management staff you said picked interest in you and share Your situation with him. He might help you to get upgraded to the normal salary scale of the company.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Oyerinde16(m): 12:48pm On Jan 13
I see this as absolute bullshit....

If you stated what u wanted and they paid you does it mean if you stated 50m, they would also pay you...

It's a useless organization...

Most standard organization has pay grades, once you enter, they pay you exactly what the pay grade earns...

They only ask your expectations to know if it's slightly below or above what they pay and it doesn't even matter cos they will still pay what is obtainable whether it's okay or not...

If I were u, I will start looking for another job
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Omoobong1(m): 12:48pm On Jan 13
Every standard organization has their salary structure, so even when your bargain is below their structure, they'll always stick to their structure.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Yusufisraelj(m): 12:49pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

All hope is not lost!

What made you join in the first place? Mind you you're under review till six months later.

Anywhere I go I make sure I make massive impact, when that time comes for confirmation, put it in writing what you really feel you deserve, benchmarking that against the strides you have made, also let them know in a non threatening way that if that's not considered it will affect your performance and ultimately you would leave.

Nobody leaves what works, just make sure you're very advantageous to the company. In all places I've worked even with the military my KPI is above average, and I don't drag price, if you can't pay forget!

3 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Evidenx(m): 12:54pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

It happened to me too,my salary was supposed to be 50k but I settle for 40k only to discover after some weeks.. but plan to tell them to increase it after spending 3 months.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Yusufisraelj(m): 12:55pm On Jan 13
SharingIsLife:
Endure it and do your work excellently for 2 months. Work in such a way that you become an INDISPENSABLE member of staff (after all, you're used to low salary).

As you do this, you will be a total surprise to the secretary and anyone else expecting you to be demoralized at work because of your low pay. This is good for workplace politics because people can't really understand you. But this is not the main aim of doing your work so well as I have advised.

This is the main aim: After 2 months, go to the management and ask for a pay raise. If they delay in doing this, submit your resignation letter. And if they ask you why you are leaving, you tell them that you need a pay raise and that you found another job offering you that.

Don't have any atom of fear while doing this as long as you know you have become indispensable to them.

You need to get a pay raise as soon as possible not just because of you yourself but because of other workers. Because the company may decide to reduce other people's pay thinking that they are paying too highly in comparison to other companies.

Two months is too early. He needs to settle in there, understand their ways of doing things before his results begin to speak, at least six months.

And no organization reduces salary because Someone priced himself cheap, that's the person's wahala.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Bhol28: 12:56pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

I can't renegotiate the salary. They told me the nature of the job and asked me how much i wanted and i told them. The amount wasn't forced or imposed on me.

It would be foolish for me to apply for a pay raise. They can simply decline, bringing me down further. I would rather resign.

No harm in trying,better to quit after asking for a payrise and they reject,remember,No gree for anybody,no gree for devil to push u to outright joblessness this new year.You have to be blunt in the request that you will be able to perform more efficiently with a salary that befits your level in the organisation.I believe it will be approved.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Vinnie2000(m): 12:57pm On Jan 13
Bhol28:
No harm in trying,better to quit after asking for a payrise and they reject,remember,No gree for anybody,no gree for devil to push u to outright joblessness this new year.You have to be blunt in the request that you will be able to perform more efficiently with a salary that befits your level in the organisation.I believe it will be approved.

The way OP is sounding, it's like him get Who dey Feed am. sad undecided
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Focusmind: 12:59pm On Jan 13
You can't function properly. It will be extremely difficult for you to function. People are respected in organisations in Nigeria based on their pay level and not necessarily on positions. When an external auditor or regulator sees the salary structure of the company, they ranked it to determine the most important people based on earnings. Earnings is a big motivation. Forget all these people that will tell you that earnings doesn't matter . That what matters is the experience you get. Bro, earnings among work colleagues matters....it brings more respect and bargaining power if you want to move to other organisations or apply for the most sought after visas
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Bhol28: 1:07pm On Jan 13
Vinnie2000:

The way OP is sounding, it's like him get Who dey Feed am. sad undecided
e be like so

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by alizma: 1:07pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Work for 6month and show your potential within that period, have good relationship with the management team and your colleagues within this period, thereafter, request for, between 50 to 100% increase in your salary and if they turn it down, step out and get another even with the same pay. If they approve it, work for another 6 to 8months and request for another review of your salary, continue that way till you catch up with or exceed your colleagues. But all through this period, do not show any sign of discouragement, smile more than those earning than you. All thinking about your own caused short change in salary must end at home. Never take it to work and I believe you will get justice
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by ONNYX: 1:11pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I've never felt so pained and defeated. I didn't do any research at all.

I applied on the recommendation of a friend.

You need a minimum of three months to prove your actual value to the firm. In all tasks go the extra mile. Become almost indispensable. By the end of the first or second month they will try to preempt your request for a raise by paying higher that what was initially offered.

Take the increase quietly and then by the third or sixth month when the picture of your duties and contributions are clear you can sit down and negotiate hard.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Sunnygibbs1909: 1:11pm On Jan 13
NLC should visit that company and picket it fast.All organisations have a fixed salary structure for all levels and cadres.Despite an unfavourable negotiation by a prospective staff,company structure must apply this is not a football player contract negotiation where you are paid strict ly on the strength of your negotiation.It is wrong..very wrong.quote author=Kobicove post=127916038]It's not fair for the company to knowingly pay you less I ti think your subordinates, the fact that you asked for a less amount during the interview stage is irrelevant! undecided[/quote]
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by KingLennon(m): 1:13pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Have you ever heard of the word PRAYER? In fact, the company will be the one to call you and re-negotiate

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by 4ward4: 1:15pm On Jan 13
Elegantspiker:
That's why it's always advisable to do a small research on your prospective organisation or institution before applying

You need no research, you personally should know how much your skill cost ,factoring how much spent on education and your experience so far. A company can even pay you higher than other staffs , once you able to convince them on what you bringing in .
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by BouquiLake: 1:16pm On Jan 13
The problem is not with you, its the company that is not sincere. Irrespective of the amount you told them, they were to pay the amount due to that position. That's how companies encourage their staff to defraud them.

Just be on the lookout for another Job. You shouldnt stay long in that kind of environment... They are cheats.

Jackanda1:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Of This Hand Works Earn The Most Money? / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward / How Much Is The Starting Salary Of A Dentist In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.