Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice (34313 Views)

Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? / Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 6:04pm On Jan 13
Gentlesoul2021:

Sharp sharp oo... Can I pls reach out, I want u to walk me down the line to ace an interview brilliantly...
You want to come here and earn more than me abi? You won't allow me to finish mourning my lost abi?
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Gentlesoul2021(m): 6:29pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
You want to come here and earn more than me abi? You won't allow me to finish mourning my lost abi?

Lol. Baba u go soon rise that I sure know... The pay might come as u didn't expect...
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by smasher1(m): 6:50pm On Jan 13
Ab025:
Firstly,
Stop blaming yourself. Regardless of whether you do research or not before joining the company....it is not your fault.

The kind of Human Resource Management practiced in Nigeria is bad.

The question of how much do you want us to pay you should never arise as every role Una company has its salary structure attached to it but the unscrupulous practice of Nigerian HRs is to find a way to pay lower than the salary attached to the role..

Hence they ask you how much do you want to take at the last stage of the interview, hoping that you will mention an amount less than what they normally pay for that role.

My advise - Work hard there for 3 months, then meet the HR Manager. tell the HRM without fear that you feel cheated and conned by the company. On that basis, demand that your pay should be regularised to what is attached to your role in the company's structure. After that conversation, actively commence job searching...and if you get an offer, leave there immediately if they don't up your pay.

It's not Nigeria. It's New York, USA
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by smasher1(m): 6:51pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
No employment letter yet. But i have been told to start work. nlfpmod

No worries. Get your employment letter first and stop being depressed or comparing yourself to others.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by LEGALSER: 7:58pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
Well i just recieved smartness today.

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
No gree for anybody this year ooo.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by stuffs4me(m): 7:58pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I recently applied to work in an organisation.

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PAY YOU?

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Anyone with this experience? Please console me.

Why would you tell an ordinary secretary your salary.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MeineMutter: 8:05pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Console ke. You have underpriced yourself.

Start looking for another job or else, life would be miserable for you enemy there. Assuming you don’t know you bargained less, you may not be psychologically affected. But now that you know, e go be like MONKEY DEY WORK…

You don’t know that when you are negotiating or striking a business deal or bargaining for something, the first offer is never the best offer.

They have left you.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MeineMutter: 8:14pm On Jan 13
Sheffieldconsul:
This is a terrible work place! A "proper company, firm, organization or whatever, have a salary structure or pay scale. Your salary will be inline with that pay scale, regardless of what your salary expectations are or the answer you give to that question. It is either you're cooking up this story or you're in a sh*tty firm.

Even if a company has salary structure, it doesn’t mean an employer is not ready to pay above that when they see an outstanding candidate.
Some hiring managers can go out of their budget for that role by convincing their manager or business heads why they need a candidate even though such candidate is asking for salary outside what is budgeted for.

Don’t forget, a candidate is a like a product or a commodity. An employer needs you more than you need them but due to the fact that you don’t want to loose the job or you want to use the job to dey pepper your enemies and brag among your friends and families, you come go undervalue yourself.

I see no reason why an applicant won’t insist on what you want to be paid even though it seems higher to your employer. Let them price you for you to know if you can come down a bit.

But someone who doesn’t have any job before would think MAKE I DEY TAKE THIS ONE SEE ROAD FEZ. Those are the main reasons lots of candidates earn less.

And OP shouldn’t listen to what people are saying.
The maximum rise in salary he can get in a year is 10%, out of which a minimum of 20% additional tax on that 10% will be deducted. So everything will be back to ground zero because inflation is also there to contend with.

He should quickly look for another job and live. If they want him to stay, they will then renegotiate.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Remii(m): 9:16pm On Jan 13
regardless of what you say. Standard companies should have pay grade for your job title. not paying you ridiculously low that would make you distress or unstable. especially when you are coming from another work with experience. You may be lower among your peers but now within the company.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by profodbaba: 9:24pm On Jan 13
Be informed before getting the job

We ease students in UK with their assignments and projects writing for any levels. Reach out to Kelvin on +44 7404 432511. Rates are extremely affordable.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by IDERAWOLE(m): 9:28pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Justify your current pay, prove to them that you're indispensable and thereafter ask for twice what you're earning now.

However, if the only thing you're after is salary, resign and look for another job.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by yusufmurry: 9:57pm On Jan 13
Bros or Sisy, it's a silly Nigeria coy that has no standard that does that. If you know your worth, start applying for jobs and move out in the near weeks.

Most times, it's not always easy to get someone in/outside the coy to ask about the pay.

So, a reasonable coy should have pay based on qualification and experience; rather than who to exploit.

For the HRs mind, s/he has saved cost. Don't worry, resign, and let them start another process again since they have all the time and resources to be recruiting every week
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Melagros(m): 10:20pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Lolzz brother grin
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MisterBanny(m): 10:23pm On Jan 13
samwillyco1:

How much is your pay

What kind of question is this na oga?
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 10:46pm On Jan 13
Melagros:
Lolzz brother grin
Why you dey laugh me?
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by tosyne2much(m): 3:52am On Jan 14
Jackanda1:
No employment letter yet. But i have been told to start work. nlfpmod
Don't be too wait to judge... Kindly wait until the appointment letter comes

By month end, a part of me is telling me that you should receive the salary close to what your colleagues are being paid

If they pay you exactly what you mentioned during the interview, start working towards your exit. You've found yourself in a selfish organization
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by lonelydora: 5:55am On Jan 14
Jackanda1:

I hate such companies that tries to "cheat" new employees.

Kindly approach your HR and have a discussion with him/her.

If they value you, they will pay you the salary scale for that position. Goodluck.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by naijainform: 6:55am On Jan 14
Do your job, after 6 months officially request for increment via the job your doing, stating why the increment is needed
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by ben1daEbiri(m): 6:57am On Jan 14
Demigod22:
OP, thanks for bringing this up. I am learning so much from this.

The last interview I attended in an Estate firm, I made sure I created a massive impression and I did. I even wrote three radio advertisement script for them instead of one requested.

They asked me about the payment, I said I believe such a firm have salary structure, I don't know my role yet but I should be paid according to the office I will work, the lady said supposing someone is paying 125k a month and another pay me 45k with 5 percent commission on every sale I do, which one will I take? I just stared at her.

Four days later, she texted me and later called me that I have the job, my salary is 70k and I will be on probation for two months and trained for that two months, if I improve, they will talk about salary increase or let me go.

My question is, for the experience ones in the house, is this offer a good one? She said I will get 5 percent on every sale I make. I haven't worked in Estate firm before though, so what's your advice?

Here's my advice:

If the role is for entry-level and you've had no prior experience then take it. Again staying idle at home can cause you depression. If you still have atleast 50% of your salary left after transportation then take it.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by ben1daEbiri(m): 7:01am On Jan 14
Omoapena:
But since they have salary structure, how can they pay you less even if thatz what you asked for, aren't they supposed to stick to their structure.

Does it mean, if you have asked for an amount higher than the salary structure, would have accepted to pay it?

It's funny when companies do this. It's a very flawed logic. When you ask for more they'll say they can't afford to pay you that but when you ask for less they'ld be more than willing to pay you that despite have a payment structure.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Platodeen87: 9:40am On Jan 14
SharingIsLife:
Endure it and do your work excellently for 2 months. Work in such a way that you become an INDISPENSABLE member of staff (after all, you're used to low salary).

As you do this, you will be a total surprise to the secretary and anyone else expecting you to be demoralized at work because of your low pay. This is good for workplace politics because people can't really understand you. But this is not the main aim of doing your work so well as I have advised.

This is the main aim: After 2 months, go to the management and ask for a pay raise. If they delay in doing this, submit your resignation letter. And if they ask you why you are leaving, you tell them that you need a pay raise and that you found another job offering you that.

Don't have any atom of fear while doing this as long as you know you have become indispensable to them.

You need to get a pay raise as soon as possible not just because of you yourself but because of other workers. Because the company may decide to reduce other people's pay thinking that they are paying too highly in comparison to other companies.

It is not always easy again especially with this idea...it could result to mental health issue and the list is endless
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by gerizzim: 12:05pm On Jan 14
don't go meet the hr.

Every standard organization has probation period for a new employee. It could be 3 or 6mnts. That is the period you are assessed to know how well you can fit into the job. Use this period to prove that you can do the job. After this, you can now approach your hr for upwards review of your pay.

The amount you told them was documented and the hr wud have probably told the MD the amount you are asking for.

Mind you the hr too is an employee of the company so he wouldn't want to go back to the MD and say the new guy said the money is small nd shud be taken up after you have called a figure.
The hr wouldn't want to take insults because of you frm the MD or say smth on your behalf dt may put his own job on the line.

Painfully accept your mistake. Resume the job. Be patient til after your probation period and go back to the hr for upward review.

All the best youngman
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by professore(m): 1:35pm On Jan 14
Jackanda1:

Those saying the story is not true do not know anything.

Op, here is my advice, take that job, once confirmed, ask for salary regularization. Anything apart from this, you will lose.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Melagros(m): 1:35pm On Jan 14
Jackanda1:
Why you dey laugh me?
The way you take post am dey funny well well, and sorry for the lost!
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Demigod22: 1:47pm On Jan 14
ben1daEbiri:

Here's my advice:

If the role is for entry-level and you've had no prior experience then take it. Again staying idle at home can cause you depression. If you still have atleast 50% of your salary left after transportation then take it.

Thanks for your encouragement and wonderful advice. I have decided to take the job, although, at the end of the month, I will spend 60 percent on transport, but the experience will be beneficial.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by GodisFirst: 9:09pm On Jan 14
Jackanda1:

Wait until they pay you your first month salary. A good organization will pay you what is commensurate with the position they offered you in relation with payroll structure irrespective of what you requested for.
However, if it doesn't come that way, just do your work, impress the management and request for a raise. As far as you get something higher than your previous salary, it is a plus for you. Now you have known that you could earn very much higher than what you are currently earning and will take advantage of it in your next job hunt.

Good luck
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by bummyla(m): 3:35pm On Jan 16
Prove yourself first, then go for the kill!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Of This Hand Works Earn The Most Money? / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward / My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.