Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,575 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Japa Or Stay In Nigeria - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa Or Stay In Nigeria (27875 Views)

If You Had ₦6M, Would You Japa Or Open A Business In Nigeria? / 10 Million Naira To Japa Or Business In Nigeria / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Badca81: 10:43pm On Jan 15
Advise for Mr lawyer , the two countries law system are not the same , so finding work won't be easy for you. Abi you never of a judge that went and is working as a driver
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by miketayo(m): 10:47pm On Jan 15
spiSeyi:
Jakpa is meant for your type, meanwhile set up a business venture for your wife and augment your business ventures. undecided
The bitter truth is that you can't save up to 4 M /year in Canada 🇨🇦 cool

You can't save 4,500 CAD a year? you are joking
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by duduade: 10:49pm On Jan 15
Cruise777:
cool

Go on 2 weeks vacation abeg so you can see clearly, you decision would be better informed when you walk the street on your own, without paparazzi picture and fake life people

You said it all
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Fadakings(m): 11:04pm On Jan 15
If I have all you've got, I go no where... instead I'll carefully involve some side hustles to boost my income.
RETURNOFENDSARS:
I'm a lawyer, called in 2016. I'm married with a kid and I'm in my early 30s. My wife is not working, so I have been the one shouldering the responsibility, despite that, God has given me my own house. Three bedrooms flat in front and three bedrooms flat at the back, all with full pop, water heater, full tiles, in fact all the modern facilities.
In all honesty I made between 600k-1.5m per month.

Just of recent, the zeal to Japa to Canada has been on my mind through school route. I currently have like 7m in my account and I know I could raise it till 15m before the end of the year. The cost of schooling keep giving me issue. How will someone travel abroad and spend over 15m when I could used the money to buy hostel from people who desperately needs money or invest in real estate.

Another concern of mine is that the future of legal profession is reducing because of the amount clients are paying particularly in the area of agreement and other things.

Definitely, I won't be selling the house if I decide to relocate, the rent from the two flats will go to my mom and the least could only be 500k per year. I won't have issues sending money at home.

Please, I really need advice from lawyers that are there, how do you cope migrating. Is it advisable I leave, if yes, what are the first things I might encounter, if am relocating it will be with my family. I just don't want to regret relocating. The exchange rate is just too much
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by loswhite(m): 11:10pm On Jan 15
ihatebuhari:
they are cowards
I am in Texas so we connect if that is ok.
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by CoronaVirusPro: 11:12pm On Jan 15
Badca81:
Advise for Mr lawyer , the two countries law system are not the same , so finding work won't be easy for you. Abi you never of a judge that went and is working as a driver

He can still flip burgers at McDonald’s
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by LagBlogger(m): 11:27pm On Jan 15
VEXT:
Most of u just come online to showoff

Show off? How will he do it when you can't see him and there's no way to ever meet him? Insecurity and inferiority complex won't give you peace of mind.

4 Likes

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by lendahand(m): 11:38pm On Jan 15
spiSeyi:
Jakpa is meant for your type, meanwhile set up a business venture for your wife and augment your business ventures. undecided
The bitter truth is that you can't save up to 4 M /year in Canada 🇨🇦 cool
I don't believe you sir
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by godwinstringed1(m): 11:39pm On Jan 15
RETURNOFENDSARS:

I'm not showing off here, if I don't reveal such information, how will I get the advice I needed

You said you need advice from lawyers nau
We who aren't lawyers are beans
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by GUNITGuy: 11:40pm On Jan 15
VEXT:
Most of u just come online to showoff
Attempt to persuade well off Nigerians to stay....Cook up stories seeking advice ...won't tell you they have backups called connection with high profile government officials or Big Companies by virtues of Family or Acquaintances.... Won't tell you the society tell belong or even secret cults.....Just read out their achievements but how they get it it's left to your imagination....
Follow them at your own Risk
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by JapaPrince: 11:44pm On Jan 15
RETURNOFENDSARS:
I'm a lawyer, called in 2016. I'm married with a kid and I'm in my early 30s. My wife is not working, so I have been the one shouldering the responsibility, despite that, God has given me my own house. Three bedrooms flat in front and three bedrooms flat at the back, all with full pop, water heater, full tiles, in fact all the modern facilities.

I just don't want to regret relocating. The exchange rate is just too much

This is to help you calculate your expenses or to give you a clearer picture of the reality on ground.
1. Rent 865/month (Wi-Fi,heating,hot water)
2. Transport student pass 58/month
3. Phone bill 40/month.
4. Groceries is in the range of 300-500/month. (NB you can go on steady fasting and use $20/month lol)
5. Tuition $8,000 every semester I.e every 4months.
6. Health insurance $1400 every year.
7. Haircut $32/month
8. Miscellaneous = $100-$200 /month.

Tuition is by far my biggest expense, followed by rent then groceries.
As per income I earn roughly $2000 per month.
I hope this helps prepare you for the journey ahead.
Currency : CAD

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by CmonManLawyer: 12:09am On Jan 16
RETURNOFENDSARS:
In all honesty I made between 600k-1.5m per month[color=#550000][/color].
Please Senior. I was called in 2017. i'm and Haven't achieved much. Before you leave, i like to step in your shoes as i believe that amount is exactly what I need to survive as a lawyer. Check your mail sir
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by ibawon(m): 12:28am On Jan 16
RETURNOFENDSARS:

Just of recent, the zeal to Japa to Canada has been on my mind through school route. I currently have like 7m in my account and I know I could raise it till 15m before the end of the year. The cost of schooling keep giving me issue. How will someone travel abroad and spend over 15m when I could used the money to buy hostel from people who desperately needs money or invest in real estate.

Another concern of mine is that the future of legal profession is reducing because of the amount clients are paying particularly in the area of agreement and other things.

Definitely, I won't be selling the house if I decide to relocate, the rent from the two flats will go to my mom and the least could only be 500k per year. I won't have issues sending money at home.

Please, I really need advice from lawyers that are there, how do you cope migrating. Is it advisable I leave, if yes, what are the first things I might encounter, if am relocating it will be with my family. I just don't want to regret relocating. The exchange rate is just too much
Try doing PR through EE. Once you get it or your passport has been submitted, get a virtual Canadian number and change your LinkedIn location to Canada and start applying for jobs at least 2-3 months before leaving.
With what you have in Naija you can not loose. So my brother abeg Jaapa. It's not only for greener pastures, as the opportunity that comes with that passport. I wish you what I wish myself

1 Like

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by moneyest(m): 12:52am On Jan 16
janda1:

Move to austria

Cost 3m-4m for the whole package

How? Kindly explain more please
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by YoshihideSuga: 12:57am On Jan 16
stagger:

Oga, forget the Canada moves. Stay back home and build yourself. OCJ Okocha, George Etomi and other lawyers who have made it big in Nigeria did not japa anywhere. That their generation is going. You are the next generation in line to take over. Why can't you guys see the simple fact?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/george-etomi-637611129?originalSubdomain=ng

George studied at LSE. Also, almost every Nigerian elite has a passport of a developed country. I get the point of being in your native homeland and controlling the system. But those names you listed are storied elites.

P.S. You once relocated to Barbados via its digital nomad visa.

3 Likes

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Aaaaarghmed(m): 12:58am On Jan 16
RETURNOFENDSARS:

dont japa,keep investing.you need to travel for vacations.invest more.i am advising you from experience. You have tried for your age.invest more.i know wat am saying.
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by YoshihideSuga: 1:00am On Jan 16
RETURNOFENDSARS:

Yes, the fear of unknown, what works for Mr. A might not work for Mr. B, that the reason I need advise.

Your curse will never affect me in Jesus name. I was in my final year during 2015 election. Voted for buhari hoping he will turn things around for good... But the reverse was the case. Since then I have been voting against APC. In fact I am a member of PDP though not too serious with politics

What were you hoping Buhari will change considering Buhari had antecedents dating to 1984? The economy grew at 6% under Jonathan, but entered into a recession TWICE under Buhari. How did things turn out after your darling Buhari came to power?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Yorubafonja: 1:00am On Jan 16
michlins:
people are sad in this life honestly.

Op

A client and told me that for you to Japa currently, you're extremely doing well in Nigeria and that the grass is already green for you. To migrate yourself and your family, you need around 15 to 20ml. Can you say if you can afford such amount of money that you're doing badly or poor?
People don't spend up to that if u follow study or job route, they know their way
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by YoshihideSuga: 1:01am On Jan 16
Oluwomonext212:
If you make up to 1.5M a month pls stay back, make more, invest and build ur own empire. U may earn 3 to 4M a month in UK, Canada, but minus ur rent and bills and u would be shock at what u have left. Japa is for us who hardly make 200 to 300k a month in naija. Anyone with stable 600 to 1.5M monthly income is living a good life in naija.

Actually, the majority of people who relocated, especially those who did as a result of the recession in 2015/2016 earned more than the bold and OP does. People who earned three million have japa'd.

2 Likes

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Okechinwadike: 1:03am On Jan 16
ucheuzor1:

what is 150k in this economy
though it depends sha
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by YoshihideSuga: 1:03am On Jan 16
obaidan:

hmmm na so person go think until its time to send your child to attend university abroad and you discover your 36million naira yearly income will only pay tuition for 1 year, and your child will still need to go and hustle for upkeep on his own, that's assuming dollar does not depreciate furthe r.
As e dey go..make e no be say the 36m, na just 1 semester tuition e go fit pay in the next 3 years

The child should attend Covenant for undergrad and do MSc at an elite university abroad as a graduate student preferably with a scholarship or funding.

1 Like

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Aguogba(m): 1:06am On Jan 16
Akano5:

are these scholarships also available for O level holders (WAEC/NECO Results)
Sure, US is all about negotiations and how persuasive U are.
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by goody234: 1:07am On Jan 16
Borrow money on your house and invest or japa, but whatever you do do not sell

1 Like

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Onionstew: 1:30am On Jan 16
RETURNOFENDSARS:

What you have in your account is enough to sponsor you and family under 6 month processing time to Canada. Ask me how only if you are interested
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by easyelliot(m): 1:33am On Jan 16
Leave as soon as possible, Nigeria is a failed state
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by AfahaAbia(m): 1:45am On Jan 16
RETURNOFENDSARS:

. You earn 500-1.5m and.
2. You also owned two bongallow.
And Japa is your next ambition.
You're crazy I sware?
Just asking
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by PaulH07: 1:50am On Jan 16
RETURNOFENDSARS:

I'm not showing off here, if I don't reveal such information, how will I get the advice I needed

Can you hook me up with a lawyer babe? Ever since I saw how troublesome most Nigerians are, I've decided to get married to a lawyer.
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by tshtsh: 1:52am On Jan 16
Moving to Canada as a student without loads of cash is equal to sufferhead. The hardship can be endured by a 21 or 23 year old single student but for a man in his 30s with a family it can feel like even taking yourself years back. I live and work in the GTA area of Ontario and I'll suggest you make your plans + more enquiries before you make the move.
There are lots of people doing great in Canada and I also got into Canada with two job offers (software engineering) before landing as a PR in 2022 and did okay like many others however take these two factors into consideration

1. A student is expected to bring in money for their fees and upkeep. These fees are usually 5 times more than what locals pay (citizens/PRs). Students also work restricted hours in low paying tough jobs . On the other hand, a PR has no such restriction and can compete for jobs without any hinderance with access to credit

2. Law is a regulated field in Canada hence you'll need to go through the licensing process which I heard takes about 2 years. During that 2 years you'll need money to finance your stay.

If you can, compete for a PR and resist the temptation to go in there as a student except you have tens of million to spare. The country is cashing out on international students from India, Nigeria , Pakistan who are attending Colleges studying cooked courses. Those colleges are like a backdoor route to working in Canada and you'll find yourself unsatisfied with the programs in most cases. The universities are expensive (CAD55,000 for a MA in Economics at Ottawa Uni) but offer better opportunities.

The express entry system (which I used to migrate to canada in 2022) has become very competitive with a high cutoff score 500+ which has pushed many to spend more and more money to get a study visa. At the end of studies the graduate will still find themselves competing for points in the express entry pool though with a higher score but the entire process can be lengthy, expensive and take you off your career.

I suggest you explore the express entry system and plan the transition well with the right information. Forgrt about agents

3 Likes

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Lekan239(m): 2:04am On Jan 16
RETURNOFENDSARS:

your story of having 2 3bedroom bungalow and 7m savings using your salary does not add up.

Assuming you are earning averagely 1m per month from 2016 that you where called, ur total net worth after seven years will be 84m only. So with 84m you could cater for your family needs, extended family needs, build two bungalows I guess in a large and fenced compound, I know you will definitely have some landed properties also....

What are you doing that's earning you money aside ur basic salary in Nigeria. Bcus with the current rise in inflation, infact from the buhari regime, 84m naira in 7 years is a very small amount. Talking from experience.
Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by lekonso: 2:20am On Jan 16
Candreva:
How can you be earning btw 600k - 1.5m ans still want to japa. Japa may eventually be better on the long run, but before it gets better you will blame yourself everyday for making the decision. I've been here for 7 years it's better now, but if I was making your kind of money in Nigeria and have the experience of japa that I currently have, I would never opt for japa!
It is unfortunate people only consider money. What of the harsh cold weather, the emotion of staying very far away from your family, these are factors to be considered also, but unfortunately people only consider money, money alone doesn't give joy and peace of mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Or Stay In Nigeria by Candreva: 2:35am On Jan 16
USA
ucheuzor1:

which country you dey

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Man Describes What Happened When He Prayed Traditional Prayer In A Bus / Pilot Makes Emergency Landing In Sokoto As Tyres Exploded After Take-off / Couple Dies In Sokoto Auto Crash (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.