Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,188 members, 7,829,251 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) (39996 Views)

Arise TV Presenter Shuts Down His Co-host During A Live Programme / Man Caught With Already Prepared Election Result Sheet In Umuahia (Video) / “The Candidates”: Buhari And Osinbajo To Be In A Live Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by ira3oladosu: 2:56pm On Jan 17
Most low level Police Na illiteratesMost low level Police Na illiterates...
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by DeepSight(m): 3:00pm On Jan 17
Nato008:

Common how can u use bin laden as a case study when u know the were going to seve him justice hot

Aside from the fact that -

1. They didnt go to arrest him (not that they had a right to do so on foreign soil) - they went to kill him

2. If not for the power of the USA in the world, that was a breach of sovereignty and a breach of international law, and in fact murder on foreign soil.

3. Its just a bad example generally. That was a case that had risen to the level of warfare for all practical purposes, and thats why no one will look at the fine points of legality or illegality.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by PoliteActivist: 3:24pm On Jan 17
[code][/code]
Idaytesj29:

No, they can. They only need a duly signed arrest warrant by a DPO or office of the commissioner, area commander etc.
The police has lot of powers that you don't even know.

The guy should have gone to them with his lawyer for their questioning. That will be better.

*Politeness*
Actually according to the letter of the law only a judge or magistrate can issue a warrant of arrest (see below). But since when did Nigerian police start following letter of the law?!

phemray:

Very simple.

People condemning police forgot that police officers are human being as well grew up in the Nigerian society. Some people comments on nairaland and this policemen actions are same in different ways. Action and reaction are equal and opposite. Trust me if d guy has no issues, he will not be making noise to create sympathy. Ok I ask, why didn't the police go to another person house, but choose to go meet the guy in the studio because they know who they are looking for.

Typical Naija thinking. Who cares what the law says

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Idaytesj29(m): 3:31pm On Jan 17
PoliteActivist:
[code][/code]

*Politeness*
Actually according to the letter of the law only a judge or magistrate can issue a warrant of arrest (see below). But since when did Nigerian police start following letter of the law?!

Thanks for clarifying this

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by pongwa(m): 4:11pm On Jan 17
lexy2014:

do you understand the questions am asking you?

1. Which one is "restricting" arrest?

2. How did he restrict arrest and obstruct police duty?
I do, but did you watch the video at all?
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by lexy2014: 4:14pm On Jan 17
pongwa:
I do, but did you watch the video at all?

good. you claim that the person arrested was "restricting" arrest'

2. How did he "restrict" arrest and obstruct police duty?
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by lexy2014: 4:15pm On Jan 17
Idaytesj29:

No, they can. They only need a duly signed arrest warrant by a DPO or office of the commissioner, area commander etc.
The police has lot of powers that you don't even know.

The guy should have gone to them with his lawyer for their questioning. That will be better.

what are the "lot of powers" that the police has that he doesnt even know?

who gave the police those powers?
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Idaytesj29(m): 4:48pm On Jan 17
lexy2014:

what are the "lot of powers" that the police has that he doesnt even know?

who gave the police those powers?

Nigerian constitution
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by lexy2014: 4:57pm On Jan 17
Idaytesj29:

Nigerian constitution

I asked you two questions.

1. what are the "lot of powers" that the police has that he doesnt even know?

2. who gave the police those powers?

3. can you show me the place in the constitution where the police were given these "lots of powers"?
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Tonytonex(m): 5:16pm On Jan 17
Supremos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFB_yQ6M3ig

Caught On Tape
that man just making noise. Instead of him to video the faces of the police.
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Idaytesj29(m): 5:35pm On Jan 17
lexy2014:

I asked you two questions.

3. can you show me the place in the constitution where the police were given these "lots of powers"?

Get the Nigerian Constitution and read it or you go to Louis Edet House, your questions will be answered.
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by lexy2014: 5:41pm On Jan 17
Idaytesj29:

Get the Nigerian Constitution and read it or you go to Louis Edet House, your questions will be answered.

since you have gotten the Nigerian constitution and you have gone to Louis Edet house, then answering these questions shouldnt be difficult for you.

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Vacora(m): 6:41pm On Jan 17
I can confidently say the actions of the officers are unlawful and they should be reprimanded. This practice of arresting people on the basis of petitions in Nigeria needs to stop. Allegations must be reported and recorded formally as a crime which the police must investigate and provide evidence to charge in court.

There should be mechanisms in place to deal with civil matters instead of involving who should be combating and solving crime.

Also any journalistic material is subject to legal privilege and going into a live studio to arrest anyone is fraught with legal problems.

They should have simply waited and effected the arrest afterwards outside the studio.

Also just because it is common practice does not make it lawful.

Officers are accountable for their actions and must explore other options or choose the less intrusive one to do the job effectively. Their actions must be proportionate, legal and accountable.

You wouldn't use a hammer to kill a mosquito or a sledge hammer to break a nut.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by greggng: 6:53pm On Jan 17
SmartyPants:

Which law did they break?

You went further to link it to the possibility of arresting Oseni - is Oseni a wanted person or a suspect due for arrest? Why can't you situate events in their proper context?

They didn't apply common sense ...
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by abdsamad(m): 7:23pm On Jan 17
GOATandYAMtheory:
show us where it is stated in the constitution that a bricklayer cannot be arrested while doing his job.

Una go just dey speak nonsense English full space. So you mean if a junkalist says things capable of disturbing public peace and inciting violence, he should be allowed to finish because he is on the job?

Most Nigerians just want to be heard. They don't even listen to themselves cheesy

You know they can serve a warrant and the station will end the program so the officers can conduct their activity
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by pongwa(m): 9:03pm On Jan 17
lexy2014:

good. you claim that the person arrested was "restricting" arrest'

first of all, my premise is based on the assumption of availability of a warrant of arrest.
1.) did he or did he not refuse the order of the police man or not? That is restriction for you
2) when you refuse or disobey a lawful order, I believe you have obstructed lawful proceedings is it not?
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by phemray(m): 11:57pm On Jan 17
EverythingPhone:
If theirs is. No skeleton in your cupboard
Pls follow them and know wetin Dey sup

Very simple.

People condemning police forgot that police officers are human being as well grew up in the Nigerian society. Some people comments on nairaland and this policemen actions are same in different ways. Action and reaction are equal and opposite. Trust me if d guy has no issues, he will not be making noise to create sympathy. Ok I ask, why didn't the police go to another person house, but choose to go meet the guy in the studio because they know who they are looking for.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by PoliteActivist: 12:53am On Jan 18
Idaytesj29:

Thanks for clarifying this

*Politeness*
You quite welcome dear
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:40am On Jan 18
Rolings:

Sometimes criminals behave in a way that puts security agencies in a very difficult situation.
If a man decides to behave irrationally it's okay for police to be irrational with him too.
The police I know would have extended invitation to him and called him to come to their office and he has refused.
I'm sure he ran to that television studio believing falsely that he can't be arrested on set.

No surprise at the eminently stupid position you're taking on this issue! Your intense hatred for anything Igbo has made you extend an unmerited benefit-of-the-doubt to a murderous, oppressive, corrupt and notorious organisation whose unsavoury reputation precedes them!

Get a life worth living before hate consumes you!
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:47am On Jan 18
Vacora:
I can confidently say the actions of the officers are unlawful and they should be reprimanded. This practice of arresting people on the basis of petitions in Nigeria needs to stop. Allegations must be reported and recorded formally as a crime which the police must investigate and provide evidence to charge in court.

There should be mechanisms in place to deal with civil matters instead of involving who should be combating and solving crime.

Also any journalistic material is subject to legal privilege and going into a live studio to arrest anyone is fraught with legal problems.

They should have simply waited and effected the arrest afterwards outside the studio.

Also just because it is common practice does not make it lawful.

Officers are accountable for their actions and must explore other options or choose the less intrusive one to do the job effectively. Their actions must be proportionate, legal and accountable.

You wouldn't use a hammer to kill a mosquito or a sledge hammer to break a nut.

So spot on!

Nigeria is a lawless jungle and this is what some assholes thrive on and depend on to rig themselves into power, rob the state treasury, and enthrone nepotism, bigotry and division! This is what they're protecting why they support lawlessness and injustice....lke we see them doing on this thread!
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Rolings: 6:21am On Jan 18
PROUDIGBO:

No surprise at the eminently stupid position you're taking on this issue! Your intense hatred for anything Igbo has made you extend an unmerited benefit-of-the-doubt to a murderous, oppressive, corrupt and notorious organisation whose unsavoury reputation precedes them!

Get a life worth living before hate consumes you!

Everyone that say anything you people don't want to hear automatically hates igbos.

So what will you do about it?
Ndi dot in the circle

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by makaay1010: 6:52am On Jan 18
Interesting
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Praxis758: 6:57am On Jan 18
[quote author=Hotzone post=127986116][/quote]

Using an error to justify another error is abysmal. Conventional security agencies are not secret cults where creepy things happen.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Praxis758: 7:03am On Jan 18
Hezmatosky:

Nope!
What if the guy has wrong information to pass, he wouldn't be allowed to do so. Where they got it all wrong is that, because police has the right of arrest at any point. You can prove yourself innocent at the station or the law court, the should have allowed the management of the tv station to go off air and handed the guy to them. That's all kiss

Switching off the transmitter is better than bursting the live coverage that provided the guy an opportunity to portray the police in a bad light.

Or, sanctioning the radio station management would have brought dignity than this disgraceful act.

And there is always right of reply in conventional media space. The police and the radio management should have allowed the other party to air his/her own side of the story for a balanced repottage.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Praxis758: 7:06am On Jan 18
victorazy:

Is the station not supposed have armed security men standby?

That would babe led to gun duel between the police and the radio’s security guys and that would escalate chaos.
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Praxis758: 7:08am On Jan 18
sketching:

20% of them are actually illiterate (give them a pen to write their name, their hands would be shaking in fear).

lol…….. a police officer that can’t write his/her name is charged with the responsibility to uphold the law that requires intellectual acumen………. No be juju be that!

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by ivolt: 7:09am On Jan 18
Praxis758:
Only God know the kind of Stone Age curriculum the Nigerian Police is using in its training schools.

It is professionally, legally and morally wrong for any security agency to arrest a suspect during a live coverage of a program. They should have allowed the program to be concluded before effecting the arrest.

Our police will continue to be a disgrace and the leadership should e embarrassed for this.

That means they can burst into Arise studio and arrest Rufai Oseni for always tackling the leadership.
There is nothing special about a TV program.
A suspect can be arrested anywhere.
The only issue I will have is if the police has no warrant for the arrest.
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Praxis758: 7:11am On Jan 18
Fiscus105:

Have you tried to ask urself, the kind offence the guy committed?

Anybody can be arrested in anywhere, the respect police would grant u, for them not to arrest u in certain places, would base on level of offences u committed.

Meanwhile, as for Rufai, he has never committed offence that warrant him to be arrested. The offence he normally committed is to fine the TV station and which they are doing periodically.

Buharists, Apcists and Batists will disagree with you on this Rufai saga.

Their wish is for the police or DSS to wake up one morning and ransack the Arise tv during a live coverage under the pretense that the tv is a threat to national security.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Praxis758: 7:16am On Jan 18
Manmusteat:

State the relevant sections of the law that forbids police from effecting an arrest during a live TV appearance. The police can even breakdown and barge into your house, break your car window, drag you off of an airplane to effect a lawful arrest if you are resisting like the guy here, and they are completely backed by law, you are here talking of live TV presence. Also what is morally or professionally wrong in arresting a criminal wherever he may be?

There are laws and conventions. Ask anyone with legal background and he/she will school you on the correlation between laws of countries around the world and conventions.

No law globally permits anyone from being arrested in any place of worship (pagoda, mosque, shrine or church)

No security agency is conventionally permitted to burst any arrest any suspect in embassies, court rooms or hallowed chambers except the aforementioned management handover the suspect(s).

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by lexy2014: 7:20am On Jan 18
pongwa:
first of all, my premise is based on the assumption of availability of a warrant of arrest.
1.) did he or did he not refuse the order of the police man or not? That is restriction for you
2) when you refuse or disobey a lawful order, I believe you have obstructed lawful proceedings is it not?

that is not what I asked you.

NB: did you see the word I highlighted?
Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by Manmusteat: 8:55am On Jan 18
Praxis758:

There are laws and conventions. Ask anyone with legal background and he/she will school you on the correlation between laws of countries around the world and conventions.

No law globally permits anyone from being arrested in any place of worship (pagoda, mosque, shrine or church)

No security agency is conventionally permitted to burst any arrest any suspect in embassies, court rooms or hallowed chambers except the aforementioned management handover the suspect(s).
Is a radio station any of the mentioned places above? Again, stop being sentimental, the guy that was arrested obviously did something wrong. Don't get me wrong, I am all for justice and fairness, but sometimes we should let law enforcement do their job without hindrance. Except if you want a lawless society

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest ABN TV Guest During Live Programme In Umuahia (Video) by pongwa(m): 10:22am On Jan 18
lexy2014:

that is not what I asked you.

NB: did you see the word I highlighted?
are you retarded or something?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Resignation: Buhari Told Kemi Adeosun To Go ‘Few Weeks Ago’ - Sahara Reporters / Things Will Be Harder Than Before, President Buhari Warns Govs, Leaders / Fayose Responds To Second Impeachment Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.