Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,402 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. (45834 Views)

The New Gcam 7.4 For All Android Phone: You Can't Have Android & Not Using Gcam / Best Phone You Ever Bought?? / How Did You Lose Your Last Phone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Think9ja(m): 4:11pm On Jan 19
I recently lost my debit card and within the space of 30 minutes, I got a debit alert.

My only saving grace was that I only had. 1.2k in the account

Them commot everything plus the kobo
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by OlujobaSamuel: 4:11pm On Jan 19
casualobserver:

The banking system is not weak, the customers are ignorant.
Exactly. None of them is telling us how, they are just throwing blanket statement.
I've lost phones so many times, and I've never lost any fund in my account, I don't even block the sim, I just go retrieve the sim that same day or the next.
To finalize any transaction with USSD, you need a pin, to reset the pin if you forget it, you need ATM card details and pin or some personal details.
The only thing I know some banks permits through ussd without pin is self recharge.
Also, if sending funds to an existing beneficiary, some bank apps won't ask for pin, but you need the app password to even open it, and if it support biometric login, you need phone pin or password to add your biometric
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by loswhite(m): 4:13pm On Jan 19
sihamey:

So you don’t do mobile banking ? The problem is not the SIM card you use for your bank account but mobile banking app you use for transactions can be manipulated when you loose your phone.

My formula
Always freeze your account with your mobile app unfreeze it when you wants to do transactions in this case if someone steal your phone and try to use your bank app he will not succeed
How is it manipulated? If they try to reset your password it will send a code to your phone number link to your line.
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by loswhite(m): 4:16pm On Jan 19
ruggedtimi:
lies bro...they can rob your account with your sim card alone.
Your sim card is your account...lol. if they need to reset password it will be sent to your sim card.
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by JayPeeOham: 4:19pm On Jan 19
tochez24:

You loose your money because you're actually DUMB, not because something is wrong with the Nigerian banking system⚠️

If you're not technically inclined, please avoid using ATM cards and nothing will happen to money if you loose your phone!!!!

But, if you're smart and technically exposed like me.... First thing you do is to lock your alert sim with a unique password, then proceed to lock with your atm cards, bank apps and ussd with passwords. To be on a safe side, you can use one long unique password for all of them, linking them to just one mobile network which you have already passworded too.

And please do not share this details with anyone, whether with a friend, family or scammers impersonating bank staffs.

That way when you loose your phone, nobody can even access your mobile line talkless of your bank account😆😆

I have lost my phone severely times and nothing happened to my bank account 💯

In 2019, my wife lost some good millions of naira after her phone got stolen including her fixed deposit, everything was wiped out.

I have been seeking for possible solution to retrieve the money, all to no avail.

Please any idea of how the money can be recovered, especially the one in the fixed deposit because I just can't stop wondering how a fixed deposit could have been cleared due to a lost phone.

Ps. I am talking about a very huge amount of money. We are ready to share percentage with anyone or organisation that is/are willing to help us recover the money please!

Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by JDhotral4: 4:21pm On Jan 19
That while sim lock 🔐 is 100 percent saver
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by nedekid: 4:21pm On Jan 19
tochez24:

Sure... But above all, every one should try and keep their account details private, stop trusting people with your passwords no matter how close and loyal you think they are ⚠️
Bros, while it is great to keep your passwords private. Me, I have made a exception. My wife and kids know my atm pins. I insist they know.
Someone I knew died suddenly few years back. His family was stuck, no money for immediate needs. Their saving grace was one of the kids that remembered one time the man sent him with the driver to get some money.
They tried the pin and it worked, giving them access to over 30m in that aza. That was what they used for burial preparations, upkeep etc until they were able to go through the legal process of unlocking other assets. Note it might take as much as 2 years to get authorization documents from probate registry and it cost a lot of money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by JDhotral4: 4:23pm On Jan 19
Get a lawyer
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by lendahand(m): 4:25pm On Jan 19
Kobicove:
I have partial solution to this...all my bank accounts are tied to just 1 SIM card and that SIM card is in a cheap torchlight phone which I keep at home permanently grin

An added security measure is that my SIM card is locked with a PIN code
sense will not destroy you oo. We have something in common while hoping on God to protect us and ours.
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Tonytonex(m): 4:25pm On Jan 19
sihamey:

So you don’t do mobile banking ? The problem is not the SIM card you use for your bank account but mobile banking app you use for transactions can be manipulated when you loose your phone.

My formula
Always freeze your account with your mobile app unfreeze it when you wants to do transactions in this case if someone steal your phone and try to use your bank app he will not succeed
how do one freeze account. I don't think I have that feature in my bank app.
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by emmatuegbe(m): 4:28pm On Jan 19
Would it require you going back to the bank to unfreeze? The last time i blocked debit on my account via ussd code, i was compelled to go to a physical branch to reactivate the account
sihamey:

My formula
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 4:29pm On Jan 19
sihamey:

My formula

Please how can one freeze his account using his bank's mobile app?
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by JDhotral4: 4:30pm On Jan 19
You can lock and open ur account with ur secret Answer
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Tonytonex(m): 4:31pm On Jan 19
Nigga44:
sim lock + phone lock
this sim lock. I never knew it can be locked

1 Like

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by steeltrust: 4:31pm On Jan 19
Lemme tell you something op
If there’s one thing you should be proud of is the Nigeria banking system although their are some loopholes here and there but in the US
It worst

I’m america just expose your bank acct number you’re in big trouble
What if SSN which is like our NIN
All your money won’t only disappear
They will take massive loan on your head

Even if you loose your phone in Nigeria and you know your bank customer care number or nearest bank you can request acct block etc but for here
Before you call bank or reach bank your money don go
So be greatful at least 😎
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Tonytonex(m): 4:33pm On Jan 19
michlins:
Oga, lock your Sim card and no one will gain access to your money. Avoid those banks you can recharge your phone using ussd codes without requiring pin
I don't think there is any bank that wouldn't required a pin. That would be foolishness na
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Tonytonex(m): 4:36pm On Jan 19
99thEnemy:
says who?😁

Any SIM linked to any of my financial accounts and other important things of high priority has simlock activated. Anytime the phone powers off and is back on you must input the SIM’s pin after unlocking the phone with passcode.

Stealing my phone, you are left with a brick because it can never be used except you know my activation lock details which leaves you with only one option to profit from it, which is to salvage it for spare parts.

My sim without knowing its PINCODE is just a useless chip.
that's interesting. I have learned a lot from this thread.
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by year2013: 4:38pm On Jan 19
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. The Nigerian Banking System is very weak. Once you lose your phone, you lose all your money in your Bank a/c. This is very bad.

Do yourself a favour by creating a locking pin to the sims connected to your bank acct and thank me later. That's the only verified solution for now.

1 Like

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Tonytonex(m): 4:40pm On Jan 19
Angelfrost:
I remember when my phone got picked up at gunpoint... The very first thing I did on getting home was call MTN Customer Service to block the line.

God bless MTN for their round-the-clock and swift response... This call was made by 11:30 pm, and they responded fast.

As for the bank APP on the phone, that's strictly for my spending account! I'm not mad to leave huge savings on an account with an atm card or bank app!

Surviving in Nigeria is not for the weak or dull! Imagine the stress one has to go through just to keep his money safe. undecided
please, what is the MTN call care center number?
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Mvnster: 4:42pm On Jan 19
Truvelisback:
Imagine losing all your hard earned money to thieves and fraudsters only because you lost your phone.
Crazy part is the money cant be traced without spending much more money.

2 Likes

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Tonytonex(m): 4:43pm On Jan 19
femi4:
lock your sim card
how can one lock sim card. Sorry to ask.
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Nasri100(m): 4:44pm On Jan 19
tochez24:

NEVER⚠️

Even the highest hacker in this world can't hack into your bank account without knowing your pin or having access to your alert sim.

They can reset your pin with OTP if they can access your alert sim...

So it's very important to password them both before any other thing, and don't share with anyone for whatever reason.

Alright bro.

Kindly snap the front and back of your atm master card. I want to see some details. Thanks bro
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by JonCina(m): 4:46pm On Jan 19
tochez24:

You loose your money because you're actually DUMB, not because something is wrong with the Nigerian banking system⚠️

If you're not technically inclined, please avoid using ATM cards and nothing will happen to money if you loose your phone!!!!

But, if you're smart and technically exposed like me.... First thing you do is to lock your alert sim with a unique password, then proceed to lock with your atm cards, bank apps and ussd with passwords. To be on a safe side, you can use one long unique password for all of them, linking them to just one mobile network which you have already passworded too.

And please do not share this details with anyone, whether with a friend, family or scammers impersonating bank staffs.

That way when you loose your phone, nobody can even access your mobile line talkless of your bank account😆😆

I have lost my phone severely times and nothing happened to my bank account 💯

Don't you think your first statement is rather too harsh?
Saying someone is "DUMB" isn't good and it seems to contradict your willingness to share knowledge with such wonderful points you've got!

2 Likes

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by femi4: 4:55pm On Jan 19
Tonytonex:
how can one lock sim card. Sorry to ask.
You don't have to be sorry

Go to Settings on your phone.

Scroll down and select Security & Privacy.

Select More security settings near the bottom of the page.

Tap SIM card lock.

Flip on the Lock SIM card toggle.

If you're prompted to enter the default PIN, do so.

1 Like

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Angelfrost(m): 4:55pm On Jan 19
Tonytonex:
please, what is the MTN call care center number?

1 Like

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Truvelisback(m): 4:55pm On Jan 19
NinjaMetahuman:
na lie.

He knew his pin. Either he changed the pin cos the phone was already unlocked with sim card also unlocked or he knew his pin before hand.

Changing bank pin takes a little of time than knowing the pin already.
He didn't know his pin. It is likely that he used a secret code that generates or create new pin.
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by tochez24(m): 4:58pm On Jan 19
JayPeeOham:

In 2019, my wife lost some good millions of naira after her phone got stolen including her fixed deposit, everything was wiped out.

I have been seeking for possible solution to retrieve the money, all to no avail.

Please any idea of how the money can be recovered, especially the one in the fixed deposit because I just can't stop wondering how a fixed deposit could have been cleared due to a lost phone.

Ps. I am talking about a very huge amount of money. We are ready to share percentage with anyone or organisation that is/are willing to help us recover the money please!

Thanks in anticipation

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's lost sir🙏🏽

It really saddens my heart when i see or hear people loose huge amount of money to theives and online scammers!!!!

Well, concerning your case... It really depends on where the money was transferred to, if it was transferred to a Nigerian bank account which i seriously doubt, then it can be traceable and subsequently recovered⚠️

But most of these scammers are smarter than that, they normally have foreign accounts they transfer to, and they use it to buy crypto or shop goods online... Which will definitely make it untraceable as you know we are not that yet technologically advanced as a country to handle any transactions outside Nigeria.

It can only take the FBI or a very advanced country's security agency to trace such transactions if it was used to purchase goods online, but cryptocurrencies and wallets are untraceable⚠️

I think your wife's bank should have told you where and how the money was moved, if it was moved to a Nigerian account then you still have a chance but if it's not then the money is gone✖️✖️

Once an ATM is linked to any account number, it's possible to withdraw money from it at any given time especially when the scammers have your passwords and alert sim... So it's very possible sir.

There are accounts you shouldn't have an ATM on or better still be very cautious with if you have an ATM on them.

2 Likes

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by maasoap(m): 4:59pm On Jan 19
BigDawsNet:

Guide your phone all the time
Don't go out with ur bank sim
Put lock on ur sim

Nigeria banking system is very secure generally... you can't just break the Firewall and start stealing naira... most of this fraud u see are done by bad bank officials ..

Nigeria banking Individual system is not that secure... the job to protect it is in ur hand by not loosing ur phone, exposing ur ATms, Revealing ur BVN or giving it out to strangers
How is this even possible or convenient? Going out without your main sim card because that's what majority use to register and open bank accounts

2 Likes

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by tochez24(m): 5:00pm On Jan 19
Truvelisback:
He didn't know his pin. It is likely that he used a secret code that generates or create new pin.

There's no secret code that generates people's pin oga.... The only way is through OTP or he knew his pin before hand⚠️

1 Like

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by Truvelisback(m): 5:02pm On Jan 19
JonCina:

Don't you think your first statement is rather too harsh?
Saying someone is "DUMB" isn't good and it seems to contradict your willingness to share knowledge with such wonderful points you've got!
Don't mind that arrogant guy. He is just full of himself. There is nothing wonderful about his points. The major target is your sim because it's used to receive alert or and do transaction. The sim is linked to one's a/c.
Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by just2endowed: 5:03pm On Jan 19
1Sharon:
How? I went to Nigeria last month and since I don't have a Nigerian number, I used my cousin's number to register.

Does it mean she has access to my funds?

Yee through ussd alone.

1 Like

Re: Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account. by JDhotral4: 5:05pm On Jan 19
TO CALL CUSTOMER CARE FOR ALL LINE DIAL 300. ANY NETWORK IN NIGERIA .THANK YOU

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

WhatsApp Down, People's Reactions Around The Globe(Photos). / 6 Reasons Not To Use Your Phone In Bed At Night / TECNO Spark 4 Unboxing, First Impressions And Review + Price (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.