Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN (10478 Views)

Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano / Our Cages For Your Poultry Farms@65,000 / Factors Contributing To The Success Of Livestock Farms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Geovanni412(m): 9:02am On Jan 26
iwaeda:

Alternative is available, garden eggs. grin grin grin

Some people will adopt vegetarian diet because of this regime

Chai...

Moringa leaf has high protein
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by fuke(m): 9:04am On Jan 26
So sad.
Meanwhile take care of your health.

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by FireUpNow(m): 9:07am On Jan 26
Many other businesses and companies have also shut down due to some useless economic policies by the government of the day

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by RANGO23(m): 9:10am On Jan 26
mrvitalis:
I don't really think so I thing there has never been a better time to go into poultry farms

For the first time in a long time Nigerian produced poultry is not cheaper than imported poultry

Nigerian eggs cheaper than imported eggs

Government just needs to reduce the price of day old chicks and decongest the industry from the Ibadan cluster.... There is no reason day old would be 600 in Ibadan and 1000 in South East and south South

Even if you buy a bag of feed for 14,000 that's 450 per kg of feed... If you buy day old 650

You need about 5kg of feed to achieve 2kg to 2.5kg live weight in 7 weeks

That's 3650 cost of production ... This can give you 1.3kg to 1.5kg dressed weight

That's 2800 per kg... Foreign chickens are over 3500per kg

There has never been better time but u need to start with 5000 birds to see the results
5kg of feed to achieve 2kg body weight Where do you get this from ?
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by olisefom: 9:12am On Jan 26
BennyDGreat:

There's insecurity as well in the South.
Many of them are unreported. If it wasn't for Sunday Igboho who made noise back then, many people won't know what was happening in the South West.

Beyond that, there's need for serious research institutes to proffer real time solutions to issues in the agricultural sector. This costs a lot. If government cannot fund it, let them woo private individuals and give them guarantee that their final results won't be stolen and ensure they make profit from their work.

Another thing is knowledge gap. How many young people today know about farming?
There has to be a lot of incentives put in place to make young people want to venture into farming.

Another thing is funding. It cost good money to run a farm that can feed even a local government.
When many consider the cost, they just japa.

Agricultural activities were majorly neglected because government, the major driver left the driving wheels

Very laudable points you have there. I think our mindset is just tailored towards consumption. Look critically into every sector and you will realise how deep this problem is.

Once an average Nigerian sees 3m, he thinks of either land, car or house...very rare for you to see them think of putting that money in a profitable venture to multiply the money. We need reorientation walahi.

I met an engineer months ago who was lamenting about tools to manufacture some saleable stuffs. When I asked him about the amount for the tools, he was mentioning around 8m or so...but to shock you, this man lives in his house (of over 10 in value)...comfortably seating on what can employ him, his community and his children.

Go check the spending pattern of the poultry farmers and you will discover that most of them lost their business as a result of them spending their money in a course not related to the farms...you buy feed and sell eggs - it's that simple! Or is it that people aren't buying eggs? Here in my community, you see egg to buy by chance. @150 per egg.

Our idea of acquisition is the root cause of this whole mess of debt, unemployment, lack of productivity and the rest.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by obinna58(m): 9:16am On Jan 26
mrvitalis:
I don't really think so I thing there has never been a better time to go into poultry farms

For the first time in a long time Nigerian produced poultry is not cheaper than imported poultry

Government just needs to reduce the price of day old chicks and decongest the industry from the Ibadan cluster.... There is no reason day old would be 600 in Ibadan and 1000 in South East and south South

Even if you buy a bag of feed for 14,000 that's 450 per kg of feed... If you buy day old 650

That's 3650 cost of production ... This can give you 1.3kg to 1.5kg dressed weight

There has never been better time but u need to start with 5000 birds to see the results
grin grin grin Mumu you think say you Dey make sense abi
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by obinna58(m): 9:23am On Jan 26
I’m sure they didn’t include December statistics, including farmers who quit poultry business this December will make it 80%
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by mrvitalis(m): 9:25am On Jan 26
RANGO23:
5kg of feed to achieve 2kg body weight Where do you get this from ?
For the first 8 weeks chicken food conversation is 2:1 ask any Famer
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by COMPAQ(m): 9:27am On Jan 26
iwaeda:

https://gazettengr.com/over-50-of-poultry-farms-in-nigeria-shut-down-in-2023-pan/

This makes no sense!! if there is demand, why did the farms close down?

If there is demand for a product, the price should go up making more profits for the farmers.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Luckysbab: 9:29am On Jan 26
happney65:
Exactly

He doesn't lie. High cost of poultry feed has affected the sector. A crate of Egg sells for over 3600 as of yesterday .

The few poultry farms that are still existing are just getting by

That is one of the effects of voting a non visionary leader

You'll Learn!

If you need crates of eggs at 3,400, let me know.

2 Likes

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Elsueno: 9:31am On Jan 26
mrvitalis:

And who da fuvk is gonna buy the chickens ehn?

overwhelming majority of People are even finding very hard to eat even a single square meal a day, talk less of buying chicken & egg.

I even think the guy is exergerating with d demand crap, cause I usually get my eggs directly from suppliers in d market & most of them don't even bring half the amount they usually do, and it takes like three times longer to sell them.

Rice 8O mudus is about 95k, something I bought just around 50k last year at farm gate price.

I find it very annoying when people defend incompetence
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by obinna58(m): 9:34am On Jan 26
Osiris12:
ask am if na statistics we go chop.

One was even talking about starting corn farming.
Corn farm wey herdsmen go cut throway
Na em be the only option bro, I’m doing same while my farm is put on hold
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by RANGO23(m): 9:43am On Jan 26
mrvitalis:

For the first 8 weeks chicken food conversation is 2:1 ask any Famer
No Sir.... From day old to 8weeks ...You need nothing Less than 12kg to fed one broiler to market sizes
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Elsueno: 9:43am On Jan 26
BennyDGreat:

Agricultural activities were majorly neglected because government, the major driver left the driving wheels

The major issue is INSECURITY!...I know lots of big men who went into Farming a while back, but have currently ALL ABANDONED IT. These are businesses men that where ready to put lots of money into Farming woh not some hobbyists doing pass time

Why? KIDNAPPERS!!!...
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by brownemmanuel43(m): 9:48am On Jan 26
superjaks:
Sadly, I'm among the 50% that shut down

Cost of running the farm is high compared to gains made

It's crazy out there 😯
What are d challenges u faced before shutting down
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by brownemmanuel43(m): 9:50am On Jan 26
Curious345:

Can't you make your own feeds ?
Will u teach him free of charge?
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by brownemmanuel43(m): 9:52am On Jan 26
Curious345:

🌲 Start farming corn
🌳rice bran is cheap and free
🌴start a pko mill so you can get PKC
🌵farm soyabean
🪴for calcium?get limestone ,it's cheap .
🍀the other supplements like lysine and methionine are cheap

☘️🌿🌱🌾
Keep them rolling here sir, I'm following
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by brownemmanuel43(m): 10:00am On Jan 26
nedekid:
Very few businesses can operate successfully under the current economic atmosphere.
One thing I practically sing about here is the cost of power, running generators.
If your run an average business in this country, you will understand what I mean. It is as if you are doing business just to pay the diesel supplier!
As I said earlier, we burn 600liters every 2 days running 2 80kva gens in 2 locations. What business can survive that? Imagine large companies running eg 1000kva gens, some they cannot turn them off due to sensitive equipment or production processes.
Over time, the only recourse is to shutdown. That is one of the major reasons companies are closing shop or leaving the country.
Pic: Diesel we bought yesterday @1050 per liter. 450liters.
D whole ting is getting scaring than before. I couldn't believe that month of November alone, we spent 700k only fuel/diesel, we are into retail ohhh not production. Meanwhile, we used to spend roughly 200k before 5inubu enter, right now businesses are shutting down

1 Like

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by anonymous1759(m): 10:01am On Jan 26
sad
olisefom:
I was complaining about this with a retailer in my neighbourhood yesterday.

The man was explaining to me that they always have to "book" (a week earlier - with money) before they can get specified supply (rationed offcourse).

Why are we having shortages of farm products in a country (south) of vast land and resources like Nigeria.
If insecurity is ravaging the North, what's happening in the south?

Nigerians are heading south because of our neglect of agricultural activities (majorly in the south) ...everything nobe government. But let's blame government so we can be fine.

In the early 2000’s chickens from the north ain’t broilers we’d more of local fowls for cheap prices with lesser expenses for food because they eat anything from the ground .
What actually happened to our local fowls it’s hard to see them lately .

As long as we keep blaming the government for everything there’s no way out.
If government subsidize poultry feeds again that’s when you’ll realize Millions people are into farming , the subsidies money will go into private pockets, Only death penalty for corruption can save Nigeria but majority of us won’t like it on a low key because we’re mostly corrupt in one way.

2 Likes

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Karnice600: 10:06am On Jan 26
gratiaeo:
Shame on all APC supporters

Amen.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by superjaks(m): 10:10am On Jan 26
Curious345:

You did broilers or layers

Broilers
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by superjaks(m): 10:11am On Jan 26
brownemmanuel43:

What are d challenges u faced before shutting down

Cost of feeds is the major problem
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by deygar: 10:12am On Jan 26
This is the sad reality. High cost of feed, high cost of fuel to run generator, only God will save us in this country.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by anonymous1759(m): 10:17am On Jan 26
EdiskyHarry:
My only happiness is, we are all in this together irrespective of our tribe, religion or political party

Losing an election is not madness, your mentor is an importer killing our naira, mention local companies he built as a governor? You guys should let us rest Biko.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by mrvitalis(m): 10:20am On Jan 26
RANGO23:
No Sir.... From day old to 8weeks ...You need nothing Less than 12kg to fed one broiler to market sizes
Don't know which farm you own and which birds you buy...
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by mrvitalis(m): 10:20am On Jan 26
Elsueno:

And who da fuvk is gonna buy the chickens ehn?

overwhelming majority of People are even finding very hard to eat even a single square meal a day, talk less of buying chicken & egg.

I even think the guy is exergerating with d demand crap, cause I usually get my eggs directly from suppliers in d market & most of them don't even bring half the amount they usually do, and it takes like three times longer to sell them.

Rice 8O mudus is about 95k, something I bought just around 50k last year at farm gate price.

I find it very annoying when people defend incompetence
Who are buying the imported ones
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by ufotunang: 10:26am On Jan 26
iwaeda:
APC have shutdown virtually EVERYTHING. Nothing is growing. $=#1450. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
...abi...that is the renewed hope nigerians voted for 🙄
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by ufotunang: 10:27am On Jan 26
See what APC and Tinubu has caused 🙄
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by ufotunang: 10:29am On Jan 26
iwaeda:

Alternative is available, garden eggs. grin grin grin
... alternative available..egg roll 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by gratiaeo(m): 10:30am On Jan 26
mrvitalis:

supporters of evil government have landed
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by ufotunang: 10:32am On Jan 26
Asazwalingwa:
Renewed what again? grin
.. renewed shege 🙄
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Whois(m): 10:32am On Jan 26
I give my chickens their feed once a day nowadays undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Different Between Deep Litter System And Battery Cage System / Grapes Now Grow In Nigeria(tropics) / IJEOMA'S SEAFOOD - Dried Bonga Fish Available From Oron For 200 Pieces Per Hand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.