Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,317 members, 7,819,077 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN (10484 Views)

Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano / Our Cages For Your Poultry Farms@65,000 / Factors Contributing To The Success Of Livestock Farms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by kay29000(m): 10:39am On Jan 26
mrvitalis:
I don't really think so I thing there has never been a better time to go into poultry farms

For the first time in a long time Nigerian produced poultry is not cheaper than imported poultry

Nigerian eggs cheaper than imported eggs

Government just needs to reduce the price of day old chicks and decongest the industry from the Ibadan cluster.... There is no reason day old would
be 600 in Ibadan and 1000 in South East and south South

Even if you buy a bag of feed for 14,000 that's 450 per kg of feed... If you buy day old 650

You need about 5kg of feed to achieve 2kg to 2.5kg live weight in 7 weeks

That's 3650 cost of production ... This can give you 1.3kg to 1.5kg dressed weight

That's 2800 per kg... Foreign chickens are over 3500per kg

There has never been better time but u need to start with 5000 birds to see the results

Interesting analysis... Thanks for the breakdown. I was shocked when I wanted to buy Kilo of frozen chicken and it was going for 3k5. I was like make I kuku buy small broiler of over 2kg, which was selling for 7k. At least that one I will kill it myself, not the frozen one that has probably been dead and frozen for months. So your analysis really makes sense.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by poiZon: 10:42am On Jan 26
Sukakma:
ok thanks for this and you think farming corn is easy?? Do you know the cost of fertilizer and pesticides and cost of weeding??
Provide Ur fertilizers, provide Ur own pesticides, infact provide Ur own farming tools.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by mrvitalis(m): 10:51am On Jan 26
kay29000:

Interesting analysis... Thanks for the breakdown. I was shocked when I wanted to buy Kilo of frozen chicken and it was going for 3k5. I was like make I kuku buy small broiler of over 2kg, which was selling for 7k. At least that one I will kill it myself, not the frozen one that has probably been dead and frozen for months. So your analysis really makes sense.
You say months? Minimum 2 years
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by mrvitalis(m): 10:51am On Jan 26
gratiaeo:
supporters of evil government have landed
Me supporter of APC even for a billion I won't
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by BennyDGreat: 10:56am On Jan 26
olisefom:

Very laudable points you have there. I think our mindset is just tailored towards consumption. Look critically into every sector and you will realise how deep this problem is.

Once an average Nigerian sees 3m, he thinks of either land, car or house...very rare for you to see them think of putting that money in a profitable venture to multiply the money. We need reorientation walahi.

I met an engineer months ago who was lamenting about tools to manufacture some saleable stuffs. When I asked him about the amount for the tools, he was mentioning around 8m or so...but to shock you, this man lives in his house (of over 10 in value)...comfortably seating on what can employ him, his community and his children.

Go check the spending pattern of the poultry farmers and you will discover that most of them lost their business as a result of them spending their money in a course not related to the farms...you buy feed and sell eggs - it's that simple! Or is it that people aren't buying eggs? Here in my community, you see egg to buy by chance. @150 per egg.

Our idea of acquisition is the root cause of this whole mess of debt, unemployment, lack of productivity and the rest.

You are right. We are a consuming nation.

That's why if you see anyone who ventures into creating something and eventually succeeds, they succeed BIG.

Can you shed more light on the 'idea of acquisition?'
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by forusever: 11:04am On Jan 26
Verified PấyPal
Account For 8K Only.

LEGIT PấYPAL MONEY FROM 1000 Naira PER $...

ALSO GET A USA BANK ấCCOUNT THAT ALLOWs YOU TO WITHDRAW MONEY TO NIGERIAN BANK ACCOUNT AND MAKE PAYMENT.

SEND AND RECEIVE MONEY TO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. CONTACT ME FOR YOUR RECEIVING ACCOUNT.

RECEIVE MONEY FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD FOR 3% Only.

I Also Sell

CoinZo♡m

COINBấSE

EBấy Account

Check my Profile or my signature for my WhatsApp number

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Sukakma(m): 11:15am On Jan 26
poiZon:

Provide Ur fertilizers, provide Ur own pesticides, infact provide Ur own farming tools.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by BennyDGreat: 11:19am On Jan 26
Elsueno:

The major issue is INSECURITY!...I know lots of big men who went into Farming a while back, but have currently ALL ABANDONED IT. These are businesses men that where ready to put lots of money into Farming woh not some hobbyists doing pass time

Why? KIDNAPPERS!!!...

Well...insecurity is a problem but it didn't exactly start from there....

Nigeria used to be agro-export dependent before oil boom. What happened?

The moment took her hands off the wheel, the enabling structures collapsed totally leaving only the wealthy and extremely tenacious to thrive.

Today, most of the cocoa plantations are gone...only few remaining in Osun, Cross River and a few other places.

Let government set up the enabling environment backed up with research and see if the agro industry won't be revived.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Sukakma(m): 11:29am On Jan 26
olisefom:

Very laudable points you have there. I think our mindset is just tailored towards consumption. Look critically into every sector and you will realise how deep this problem is.

Once an average Nigerian sees 3m, he thinks of either land, car or house...very rare for you to see them think of putting that money in a profitable venture to multiply the money. We need reorientation walahi.

I met an engineer months ago who was lamenting about tools to manufacture some saleable stuffs. When I asked him about the amount for the tools, he was mentioning around 8m or so...but to shock you, this man lives in his house (of over 10 in value)...comfortably seating on what can employ him, his community and his children.

Go check the spending pattern of the poultry farmers and you will discover that most of them lost their business as a result of them spending their money in a course not related to the farms...you buy feed and sell eggs - it's that simple! Or is it that people aren't buying eggs? Here in my community, you see egg to buy by chance. @150 per egg.

Our idea of acquisition is the root cause of this whole mess of debt, unemployment, lack of productivity and the rest.
I just dey look you. Venture into poultry farming and see if it's easy. Or don't you know life happens to someone sometimes?? Don't you know how much you will spend before your layers start laying eggs?? (And that's if all of them will lay the eggs be that because not all of them lay eggs).
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by sniperwolf(m): 11:33am On Jan 26
Even at an expensive rate, the availability feeds have been shortchanged. They won't give you optimal egg production
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by safarifarms(m): 11:34am On Jan 26
Curious345:

Can't you make your own feeds ?
Yes it would be a bit cheaper for those in states where there's abundance of feed constituents but not the case for locations like the South South where large crop farms are scares. Cost of producing your feed in Akwa Ibom is often more than that of commercial feeds whose producers are able to source for corn and other constituents at a cheaper price and have economy of scale. Before you suggest planting corn and soya beans note that land is very expensive in places like Akwa Ibom (where I am), and that is the major reason large commercial crop farms are scarce here.

1 Like

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by kay29000(m): 12:09pm On Jan 26
mrvitalis:

You say months? Minimum 2 years

Damn! That's scary. No wonder some people stay far away from frozen chicken.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by muller101(m): 12:13pm On Jan 26
Maize and soya is expensive. Who produces these things. The farmer. How can they farm with being killed by bandits. Tell the government to look into security.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by muller101(m): 12:26pm On Jan 26
maasoap:

Talk is cheap, easier said than done grin grin grin
You de mind them. Give him farm land to plant he will run away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Sunday2021: 12:49pm On Jan 26
Tinubu just came to steal, kill and destroy.
Every business is going down because of bad policy of this government.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Sunday2021: 1:01pm On Jan 26
sulaak:

The root cause is the insecurity in Northern and central Nigeria has reduced the production of poultry feed also the fall in Naira has increased the cost of importing poultry feed.
that means the commander in thieves is incompetent.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Anatolia: 1:42pm On Jan 26
They complain and complain but when it comes to electing good leadership, they will rather side with their brother even when they know he is incompetent. The vicious cycle we continue as long as we keep on repeating the same mistakes over and over again.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by TruthsFM: 1:52pm On Jan 26
Nigeria economy keep on dwindling by the day. Hmm 🤔
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Elsueno: 1:53pm On Jan 26
BennyDGreat:

Well...insecurity is a problem but it didn't exactly start from there....

Nigeria used to be agro-export dependent before oil boom. What happened?

The moment took her hands off the wheel, the enabling structures collapsed totally leaving only the wealthy and extremely tenacious to thrive.

Today, most of the cocoa plantations are gone...only few remaining in Osun, Cross River and a few other places.

Let government set up the enabling environment backed up with research and see if the agro industry won't be revived.

hmm, I see Ur point
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by BABAawoo47: 2:37pm On Jan 26
Curious345:
not true
Baba, Na work wey dem born me into... Sometimes when feedmill isn't working or money no dey to buy feed. We give dem veggies, they like it oo. But egg output will drop drastically for atleast 3days
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Goddyrichie(m): 3:04pm On Jan 26
iwaeda:

https://gazettengr.com/over-50-of-poultry-farms-in-nigeria-shut-down-in-2023-pan/
we all know know d 4 people that contest 4 d presidential election last year are all thief nobody is saint or messiah but at least we should have vote for d one that’s 50% good that things won’t worst than this we say no na our brother we go vote 4 na my religion brother we go vote look at where it lead us to now we going to learn the hard way as VDM always says
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by olisefom: 3:16pm On Jan 26
Sukakma:
I just dey look you. Venture into poultry farming and see if it's easy. Or don't you know life happens to someone sometimes?? Don't you know how much you will spend before your layers start laying eggs?? (And that's if all of them will lay the eggs be that because not all of them lay eggs).

You guys just think everyone here is inexperienced and or underaged.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by maasoap(m): 3:45pm On Jan 26
Curious345:

Actually easier done than said
Have you ever been a farmer, crop farmer to be specific?
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by sulaak(m): 4:48pm On Jan 26
Sunday2021:
that means the commander in thieves is incompetent.

When do we hold Northern leaders to account? Northern elites are against restructuring and state police, that can provide security to the North.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Sukakma(m): 5:16pm On Jan 26
olisefom:

You guys just think everyone here is inexperienced and or underaged.
grin grin grin
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Love800(m): 6:33pm On Jan 26
Cant u make ur own feeds?
superjaks:
Sadly, I'm among the 50% that shut down

Cost of running the farm is high compared to gains made

It's crazy out there 😯
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Love800(m): 6:35pm On Jan 26
What are u trying to say?
Please be direct.
olisefom:
I was complaining about this with a retailer in my neighbourhood yesterday.

The man was explaining to me that they always have to "book" (a week earlier - with money) before they can get specified supply (rationed offcourse).

Why are we having shortages of farm products in a country (south) of vast land and resources like Nigeria.
If insecurity is ravaging the North, what's happening in the south?

Nigerians are heading south because of our neglect of agricultural activities (majorly in the south) ...everything nobe government. But let's blame government so we can be fine.
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Love800(m): 6:36pm On Jan 26
Cant u make ur own feeds?
Sukakma:
Currently what am facing. Poultry farming isn't as easy as before especially the egg laying poultry. Cost of feeds keep increasing every week
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Love800(m): 6:41pm On Jan 26
There is a way u can make the feed. It will even be cheeper than buying.

The thing is dat, u have not invested in knowledge about making it.
Sukakma:
it's not as simple as you think. We're complaining of cost of feeds alone talk more of producing our own feeds. Have you considered the amount it will cost. Layers feeds is quite complicated compared to broilers feeds
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Love800(m): 6:42pm On Jan 26
What will he be using all this things for?
Curious345:

🌲 Start farming corn
🌳rice bran is cheap and free
🌴start a pko mill so you can get PKC
🌵farm soyabean
🪴for calcium?get limestone ,it's cheap .
🍀the other supplements like lysine and methionine are cheap

☘️🌿🌱🌾
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Love800(m): 6:43pm On Jan 26
Atleast its better than nothing
BABAawoo47:
cheesy grin Then your hens starts laying 1egg per week. Those feeds are optimized to provide the needed nutrients for consistent egg production
Re: Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN by Love800(m): 6:48pm On Jan 26
U have staffs in ur poultry?
What do they do there?
buJu234:
Hope you added mine sha..

because I decided to sell everything and buy dollar in late 2022 and put it into my dorm account..

Do you knw that have made a lot of profit from this Forex since than the whole of my 5-6yrs of poultry farming.

Although am making money from forex but am not happy, because via the closure of the poultry, I made 10 staffs jobless. But not my fault.

The government needs to look into small businesses survive oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Different Between Deep Litter System And Battery Cage System / Grapes Now Grow In Nigeria(tropics) / Jigawa To Export Goats Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.