Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,616 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano (26488 Views)

Over 50% Of Poultry Farms In Nigeria Shut Down In 2023: PAN / Why Many Poultry Farmers Loose Their Birds And Are Broke!!! / Our Cages For Your Poultry Farms@65,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by ogododo: 4:04pm On Feb 04
The recent hike in the prices of eggs and other poultry products in Kano State has generated a serious public concern, especially when the Muslim fasting period is fast approaching. Eggs are usually in high demand during the fasting period.

It was gathered that one egg new sells at N130 while a crate is N3,100. It was also revealed that despite the increase, eggs are gradually becoming scarce in the state metropolis, and that has raised a serious concern from the public as other poultry products are getting out of the reach of the common citizen.

According to a resident, Abubakar Abdulsamad, egg scarcity is a perennial issue that usually occurs in periods like this when Ramadan fasting is setting in. He explained that the hike in price and scarcity of poultry products is connected to heavy hoarding by merchants. He added that the little eggs being produced by the few poultry farmers in the state are now hoarded by some merchants bent on making huge profits during the Ramadan.

“That has been the norm in periods like this, but what made this one different is that there are few poultry farms operating now due to the current economic situation across the globe, and Ramadan fasting is fast approaching. My fears are that poultry products would soon be out of circulation or too expensive to be afforded,” he said.

A poultry farmer in the state, Alhaji Isa Abba, said he could no longer afford to continue with the poultry business because the cost of production had gradually become unbearable. According to him many farmers have abandoned their farms due to several factors that have made the business very difficult.

However, the Kano State chairman of the Poultry Association of Nigeria (PAN), Dr Usman Gwarzo, attributed the scarcity and hike to several factors that range from poultry feeds raw materials, chicks, vaccines, transportation, among others.

He explained that a tonne of maize, which serves as the major raw material for poultry feed making, which was sold at N320,000 in November last year, is now N550,000. He added that soya mill, which constitutes 25 per cent of raw materials needed to produce feed, had also gone up drastically.

“Ironically, these two raw materials are usually sourced within the country, not imported. What we only bring outside the country is amino-acid. However, transportation increased due to subsidy removal and insecurity that prevented many farmers from going to farms, among other factors, which cumulatively added to bring the rise in the cost of poultry farming in not only Kano State but the country in general,” he said.

He added that the state lacked capable hatchers that could meet the demand of chicks by farmers, a situation that is causing a day-old chick to be sold at N800, which has forced over 85 per cent of poultry farmers out of business.

“I bet you, if you add up all these factors I mentioned you would find out that the price of eggs is cheap. But as it is with poultry production, the more expensive poultry products are, the less profit poultry farmers get. That is why most of our members have closed down their farms. About 85 per cent left the business in the last six months, which is a bad omen,” he said.

Gwarzo said the association had been advocating improved security, increase in production through effective engagement of real farmers, as well as introduction of credible loans to farmers that are realistic, not formulary.

https://dailytrust.com/egg-price-rises-as-many-poultry-farms-shut-down-in-kano/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by SpecialAdviser(m): 4:07pm On Feb 04
In agbado voice "It will help reduce the rate of over consumption of protein to improve life span"

grin angry grin grin I have never imagined people can be so daft.

255 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by G00dharddick: 4:08pm On Feb 04
As at today, a crate of egg is now 3,500 this is something that was 1,500 before!

The westerners are not yet serious, when they're serious they'll hit the streets with massive protests!

Kindly note that the protest must start from the West, to avoid them calling any region hater of Nigeria and Yorubas!

233 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by G00dharddick: 4:11pm On Feb 04
SpecialAdviser:
In agbado voice "It will help reduce the rate of over consumption of protein to improve life span"

They're coming to call you an IPOB esn and hater of Nigeria and Yorubas for saying this

108 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by Namaster: 4:11pm On Feb 04
When Tinubu is done with Nigeria, oxygen would be sold in sachets like pure water. grin

172 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by RepoMan007: 4:13pm On Feb 04
I was shocked when they said 120 for one average looking egg.
What is left now is for people to buy chicken feed and be eating directly.

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by PforPython(m): 4:14pm On Feb 04
It is well o 😢

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by Seefinish: 4:29pm On Feb 04
SpecialAdviser:

i remember when I was kid, my grandma used to tell our mother not to give us egg and that eating eggs can make us to go and steal. Tinubu does not want Nigerians to eat eggs so that they won't go and steal

140 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by muyico(m): 4:50pm On Feb 04
still cheap
egg at Ibadan now is 150/200 for one piece

23 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by VeryWickedMan: 4:55pm On Feb 04
A good wife should start laying eggs in the house to save cost. Otherwise, replace her with a chicken.

59 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by mrvitalis(m): 5:01pm On Feb 04
You go to hospital you don't care where the doctor comes from, you don't care about his religion... All you seek is good service

You put your money in banks you don't care where the owner is from, what his religion is

But time to elect President you say you can't vote a Christian, or an Igbo man continue

When you guys are ready enter the streets and protest and I pray what happened to endsars protesters happens to you all

203 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:08pm On Feb 04
grin grin cheesy
Seefinish:
i remember when I was kid, my grandma used to tell our mother not to give us egg and that eating eggs can make us to go and steal. Tinubu does not want Nigerians to eat eggs so that they won't go and steal

6 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by RepoMan007: 5:25pm On Feb 04
mrvitalis:
You go to hospital you don't care where the doctor comes from, you don't care about his religion... All you seek is good service

You put your money in banks you don't care where the owner is from, what his religion is

But time to elect President you say you can't vote a Christian, or an Igbo man continue

When you guys are ready enter the streets and protest and I pray what happened to endsars protesters happens to you all
It is both ways. How many Igbo men will vote a competent Hausa or Yoruba man if one contests?
Stop being bitter because you lost in the bitter game of politics and bigotry.

50 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by Racoon(m): 5:41pm On Feb 04
So much hardship everywhere. Terrible time with useless leaders on board.

7 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by mrvitalis(m): 5:59pm On Feb 04
RepoMan007:

It is both ways. How many Igbo men will vote a competent Hausa or Yoruba man if one contests?
Igbos have vote Hausa and Yoruba many times

Abiola got 45% in Igbo land even when his opponent had Igbo vice

Has any Igbo man gotten 45% from South West?

185 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by RightChannel: 6:01pm On Feb 04
E go favour us and our families

5 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by DatNiggaDaz: 6:05pm On Feb 04
The balls of Tinubu can replace the eggs for Tinubulators.

Simple as ABC, Rig, snatch, grab and vote stupidly, win stupid prizes

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by NaMe4: 6:10pm On Feb 04
G00dharddick:
As at today, a crate of egg is now 3,500 this is something that was 1,500 before!

The westerners are not yet serious, when they're serious they'll hit the streets with massive protests!

Kindly note that the protest must start from the West, to avoid them calling any region hater of Nigeria and Yorubas!

It has been 3600 in Edo for over a year!

Poultries shutting down? Meanwhile the minister of labour, a few days ago stated the unemployment rate was 4.2%.

Even the US long-term average unemployment rate is 5.7%.

17 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by Floky215: 6:11pm On Feb 04
RepoMan007:

Oga, go and check voting pattern and history please and stop disgracing yourself here...!!

81 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by Paraman: 6:12pm On Feb 04
Prices will start falling soon

1 Like

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by asha80(m): 6:13pm On Feb 04
muyico:
still cheap
egg at Ibadan now is 150/200 for one piece
ibadan of all places with those hatcheries?

12 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by aderadio1: 6:14pm On Feb 04
RepoMan007:

I am not ignoring but they voted Yaradua and OBJ. These two were better than those they contested with.

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by omoadeleye(m): 6:16pm On Feb 04
Why are they shutting down
Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by Urgent1Million: 6:17pm On Feb 04
So an egg is just getting to #130?
Egg that we've been buying for #200 since God knows when.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by PheelzAlmighty: 6:18pm On Feb 04
Cry me a river, he who sows the wind will reap a whirlwind grin

It's about to go down

8 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by israelmao(m): 6:18pm On Feb 04
The maize which is one of the main raw materials for chicken feed, its cost is almost competiting with cost of rice.One egg used to go for N30 until 2015 but see the yawning gap today due to wrong government policies.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by salbis(m): 6:18pm On Feb 04
This government must favour me and my family. 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️ 🚶‍♂️

9 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by broadman20: 6:18pm On Feb 04
Chai!

If I'm a Tinubu paid online supporter, I will sincerely increase my charges o!

This work of defending Tinubu clueless government is becoming too challenging o!

May God help them abeg.

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by ivolt: 6:19pm On Feb 04

He added that the little eggs being produced by the few poultry farmers in the state are now hoarded by some merchants bent on making huge profits during the Ramadan.
Eggs can't be properly "hoarded".
It has a shelf-life and would be spoilt if kept for too long.

The primary reason for scarcity is that poultry farmers are shutting down en masse due to the high cost
of feeds.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by Blitzking: 6:19pm On Feb 04
Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by Kaycee9242(m): 6:20pm On Feb 04
Where una president dy?

8 Likes

Re: Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano by sportskid(m): 6:20pm On Feb 04
Nigerians don enter one chance

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why We Are Importing Grass By Minister Of Agriculture / Governor Shettima Inspects Farm Implements Procured By The State Govt. / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.