Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,914 members, 7,810,511 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? (14894 Views)

What Is The Maximum Speed You've Attained While Driving? / The Fastest Car Of Every Decade (1880-present) / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 09, 2011
Nicols:

That's the most INSULTIVE & SARCASTIC post in this thread.

Lol, it's okay bud. Juo reserves the right to be sceptical, no offence taken.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 09, 2011
n.oxide:

siena hw fast hv u gone on public roads? I'm nt sure we hv any 'controlled environment' here in nigeria, all our speeds r clocked on public roads wit plenty potholes. .lol . . (gues thats why juo doubted your 271km/h)

@nicols. . Its ok. He dint know siena is nt in nigeria.lol

I can't post my speeds on public roads, on an internet forum. Many have been prosecuted in the UK and US, due to them posting their speeds in excess of local regulations, online. The same goes for those that video their speedos and post on Youtube or similar.

So, my speeds on public roads? No higher than local regulations, of course!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 10:31am On Nov 09, 2011
Bruntinthorpe Proving Ground, Leicestershire

Its more like where you test the top speed of cars (mostly modified ones) its dead straight, could be windy but very safe unless you doze off

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Pennywise(m): 10:32am On Nov 09, 2011
I had a 100km stretch of road to myself on a sunday morning. The car was a BMW 3 series. The stability of that car is unmatched by any I have driven till now. At 160km/hr I was determined to overtake anything in sight. And I did until one girl casually overtook me with her Benz190. How I managed to restrain myself from giving chase, I will never know. But I guess it was one of those days u let commonsense prevail over pride.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by gigabytes: 10:39am On Nov 09, 2011
Well, in 1999, with my baby boy then, i ran between ajah to eleko 230km/h while doing that, in between lakowe and alafia, a Mercedez 300 E pass me as if am on 20kmph. I swear.  I still remember that day till tmrw.  Cant just imagine it.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by DerMeister: 10:39am On Nov 09, 2011
Anybody with a good car can clock approx 300km/hr on controlled roads, on the other hand, if you can clock 220km/hr on a 9ja road your a driver with b-a-l-l-s.

I did 200km/hr on the east-west road after the rivers-a/ibom bridge in my galant 2 months ago. Was trying to push the car to its limit, at 200, my bro told me to cool down.  cool
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by tunene: 10:40am On Nov 09, 2011
200km/hr in A Honda Accord 2002 model (baby boy) on Benin Bye pass of the Warri - Benin Expressway. I was actually travelling to the Osun state on the 24th of December and I left Warri around 3:30pm. When I arrived, I felt silly, I could have waited till the next day. Could have died if anything had happened. I have repeated that several times though but I have reduced speed generally now.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 10:46am On Nov 09, 2011
nybody with a good car can clock approx 300km/hr on controlled roads, on the other hand, if you can clock 220km/hr on a 9ja road your a driver with b-a-l-l-s.

No you cant!!!

Unless you are driving a Lamboghini or Ferrari (or an F1 car that has a 7th gear)

an BMW M3/M5 would get you between 160-175 (Ok an M5 would clock 177mph because it has a 6th gear)

A normal car would clock 145mph due to the aero dynamic of the car
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Pennywise(m): 10:49am On Nov 09, 2011
gigabytes:

Well, in 1999, with my baby boy then, i ran between ajah to eleko 230km/h while doing that, in between lakowe and alafia, a Mercedez 300 E pass me as if am on 20kmph. I swear.  I still remember that day till tmrw.  Cant just imagine it.

Damn it was the year 1999. The 3 series was my second car ever (Sorry, third)
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Andrew3(m): 10:50am On Nov 09, 2011
Just last nite back from a friend's birthday i matched 230km/hr on ma X6 damn the car is balanced. a journey of about 1 day 6 hours, though am still in a hotel but will complete today. supprised to see this thread. I would have made it to dublin if i had wanted to. wink
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by DerMeister: 10:50am On Nov 09, 2011
baby-boy:

No you cant!!!

Unless you are driving a Lamboghini or Ferrari (or an F1 car that has a 7th gear)

an BMW M3/M5 would get you between 160-175 (Ok an M5 would clock 177mph because it has a 6th gear)

A normal car would clock  145mph due to the aero dynamic of the car

Please READ b4 typing,

Anybody with a GOOD CAR. Do u understand GOOD CAR
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 09, 2011
Now I see why there are so many accidents on Nigeria roads.No speed limit!!!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:52am On Nov 09, 2011
Just yesterday, Pused my 2007 Hyundai Santa fe to 170 km/h (speedo reading) on the Port-Harcourt Airport Road. I was racing a 2009 Honda Accord. He had the acceleration but I had more horses under the hood.  grin

Thrilling though!

Did 180 km/hr in a Honda accord (the version just before the Honda Hala) in port-harcourt as well on Aba road on a Sunday morning. I love sunday morning drives men!!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 09, 2011
Quote from Siena:

172 mph (279 km/h) in my old '87 Audi Coupe Quattro. Engine was RS2-spec and beyond, 413 bhp and 436 ft-lbs. Max speed was limited by the low gearing.
158 mph (256 km/h) in my current '02 Audi S8 Quattro. Totally standard, 360 bhp and 317 ft-lbs. Max speed is electroni
cally limited to 155 mph (251 km/h).

Bloody liar

@ Topic, mine was 160 kmh, on Benin Ore road with FX-50, i nearly had and accident dogding pothole, i will never exceed 120kmh, if u see how the motor was so light when u turn the steering, God saved my life
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Pennywise(m): 10:57am On Nov 09, 2011
odiaero:

Quote from Siena:

172 mph (279 km/h) in my old '87 Audi Coupe Quattro. Engine was RS2-spec and beyond, 413 bhp and 436 ft-lbs. Max speed was limited by the low gearing.
158 mph (256 km/h) in my current '02 Audi S8 Quattro. Totally standard, 360 bhp and 317 ft-lbs. Max speed is electroni

Bloody liar

@ Topic, mine was 160 kmh, on Benin Ore road with FX-50, i nearly had and accident dogding pothole, i will never exceed 120kmh, if u see how the motor was so light when u turn the steering, God saved my life

If u dodge a pot hole at 160km/hr you are so dead
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 10:58am On Nov 09, 2011
Anybody with a GOOD CAR. Do u understand GOOD CAR

Give me an example of a good car
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 09, 2011
Pennywise:

If u dodge a pot hole at 160km/hr you are so dead

I tell ya, God Saved me, i dont know how i brought that under control while heading almost to the bush, later a driver told me that never dogde a pothole while on highspeed, rather fall on it
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by aieromon(m): 11:02am On Nov 09, 2011
I often do 180km/hr whenever am in a bad mood.I'm used to the potholes on the expressway so i know where i have to put a cap on my speed.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by DerMeister: 11:06am On Nov 09, 2011
A GOOD CAR = Bugatti, Pagani, Aston Martin, Lambo etc u get the idea, Even a Benz E350 or S430 can do that if the speed limiter is removed, On the other hand a "moto" is what most people use: 190, v-boot, older camrys and accords etc, I use a "moto" don't have $$$ for a GOOD car.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 09, 2011
odiaero:

Quote from Siena:

Bloody liar

I'm a bloody liar, in terms of what?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by norrisman: 11:09am On Nov 09, 2011
* All speedo readings.

110mph (177km/h): Regularly achieve this on a sweet 8 mile stretch of my local A road when I feel like feeling the little power in my 4 cylinder, 184bhp W212 E-Class

180km/h: I was a passenger in my friends '83 E80 Corolla (180km/h was the maximum reading on the speedometer). It was on a downhill section between Ilishan and Shagamu. I remember going to the back to lie down on the back seat hoping they can find my DNA when the inevitable happens.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by kingsots(m): 11:10am On Nov 09, 2011
150km\h in a 2007 toyota Aurion, awka - enugu road. The road is quite bad, saw a lil good part of the road took advantage of it to meet with time cos I had a meeting in enugu.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by octar6: 11:11am On Nov 09, 2011
i have done 160km/hr with my tiny lite camry 2.2.  portharcourt to owerri road.
i have done 140km/hr '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''     owerri to portharcourt road.
I have travelled in a car and d driver was a retired militarty man,he did abt 170km/hr with his clean mitsubishi gallant.i cant remember d model but it was a v6 engine. i was like wooooow. i was in front and i saw everytin. d car was so lite,but d man was so experienced. that was from owerri to portharcourt. grin
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 09, 2011
Siena:

I'm a bloody liar, in terms of what?

The speed u say u ran, u dey fly plane?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Pennywise(m): 11:19am On Nov 09, 2011
norrisman:

* All speedo readings.

110mph (177km/h): Regularly achieve this on a sweet 8 mile stretch of my local A road when I feel like feeling the little power in my 4 cylinder, 184bhp W212 E-Class

180km/h: I was a passenger in my friends '83 E80 Corolla (180km/h was the maximum reading on the speedometer). It was on a downhill section between Ilishan and Shagamu. I remember going to the back to lie down on the back seat hoping they can find my DNA when the inevitable happens.

No way man. There is so much to live for. So many have gone needlessly b4 you. You achieve nothing but lose every thing. I typically do 110km/hr overtaking occasionally at 120km/hr. Never been in a highway accident but I regularly bring down okadas (my part time sport)
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 11:22am On Nov 09, 2011
A GOOD CAR = Bugatti, Pagani, Aston Martin, Lambo etc u get the idea, Even a Benz E350 or S430 can do that if the speed limiter is removed,  On the other hand a "moto" is what most people use: 190, v-boot, older camrys and accords etc, I use a "moto" don't have $$$ for a GOOD car.

Bold: Those one are sport cars, bigger engine, higher BHP, probably a v10 or v12 engine, aero dynamic, resistance to cross wind, higher gear ratio (7th gear) those would easily clock 300km (186mph)

A Benz E350 would NEVER clock 180mph because its a v6 engine, it has very big body, not aero dynamic, high off the ground, by the time the car reaches 140-150 it would begin to swerve because of the wind going under the car
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by octar6: 11:24am On Nov 09, 2011
@odierrro. where mr sienna drove those cars are in th uk. did u read the specs of those cars? those cars are not normal everyday cars. d r simply race cars bro. if u r a car enthusiast,u would really know dat ppl have done more than dat bro. cheesy
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by norrisman: 11:26am On Nov 09, 2011
Pennywise:

No way man. There is so much to live for. So many have gone needlessly b4 you. You achieve nothing but lose every thing. I typically do 110km/hr overtaking occasionally at 120km/hr. Never been in a highway accident but I regularly bring down okadas (my part time sport)

My first case is in Europe where I do these speeds like 2am in the morning or when road conditions permit. It is quite safe

the second case was about 13 years ago in my uni days when I didnt know any better.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 09, 2011
odiaero:

The speed u say u ran, u dey fly plane?

Common sense should prevail. Bruntinthorpe is a proving ground, it's not the public road. My old Audi Coupe Quattro was a highly modified car, the test run was organised by Fast Car magazine, a magazine that features modified  cars. They organise the timing, and pay for the hire of Bruntinthorpe for the day. I was one of several cars at Bruntinthorpe on the day. They post the times, measured with GPS / radar. I will post a magazine feature Fast Car did on my car, then you can read the spec for yourself.

The Audi S8 was driven through Germany, on the Autobahn, where most stretches are unrestricted. The max of the Audi S8 is electronically limited (like most modern Euro cars) to 155 mph. If you Google, you'll find out for yourself.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Daiquiri: 11:30am On Nov 09, 2011
@ OP

Back in the day (i.e. a very long time ago)

Flew to Germany and bought this fully kitted car to drive back

Body kit all round - front, sides, rear and boot spoilers, Leather upholstery, wooden steering and shortened/customised wooden gear stick, alloy wheels, lowered suspension
(i.e. in short the whole shebang)

The thing is I needed to be at Ostend Ferry port before 12:00 AM if not will have to wait for 12 hours for the next Ostend - Ramsgate ferry.

Had to use up the whole speedometer on the Autobahn whilst heading to Ostend Ferry.

The car was flying literally on the Autobahn and cars in front were pulling over and aside for me without me even flashing them to do so

My mate beside me peeked at the dashboard and said wow when he saw that the speedometer dial was flat out.

Got home safely and when the car had no post issues, realised what a good car I bought after the speed flat out
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Widow(m): 11:31am On Nov 09, 2011
In my honda crv03, from Ore to Lagos, I lost a front tire at 130 kph, I have never been so scared- though the car handled it well. Now my max is a meek 120kph.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Pennywise(m): 11:33am On Nov 09, 2011
norrisman:

My first case is in Europe where I do these speeds like 2am in the morning or when road conditions permit. It is quite safe

the second case was about 13 years ago in my uni days when I didnt know any better.

Its not always a good Idea to refer to a diverse continent like Europe as if u are referring to one small town. Some european

countries may have certain things in common with naija than they do with other european countries. Anyway, just saying.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FRSC Writes Toyota Over High Rate Of Crashes / Branded Cars. What Are the Required Documents? / Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.