Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,886 members, 7,810,405 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? (14893 Views)

What Is The Maximum Speed You've Attained While Driving? / The Fastest Car Of Every Decade (1880-present) / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by sconsults: 4:26pm On Nov 09, 2011
293 km on my aston martins vintage 2009 life camp/kado estate road Abuja.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Mojibola(m): 4:34pm On Nov 09, 2011
230miles/hour, lamboghini gallardo, north rosewood, only that it was on my NFS most wanted. wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by shabbie(m): 4:37pm On Nov 09, 2011
Siena:

May I suggest sir, that you get your speedo calibrated? Because it's over reading by a massive margin. I don't know what model you have, but I've picked the '03 - '09 model year, and selected the largest engine - the 2,0 dCi. This produces 147 bhp, and the maximum speed (figures from Renault) is 127 mph (manual) and 123 mph (auto).

160 mph is a massive top-end, bearing in mind the Renault Scenic is an MPV, and not the most aerodynamic of shapes.

When I get the picture from my Mrs Phone, I will upload it

Siena:

Good effort though with the Volkswagen Golf TDi. Gotta love German engineering.  

The VW Golf is modified tho, felt like hitting more but the traffic at the Junctions Suggest not. Looking forward to the Autobahn one of these days
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by 195(f): 4:40pm On Nov 09, 2011
Mine was 200KMPH benin-abuja road

My friend in the car nearly lift out of the car
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Freiburger(m): 4:44pm On Nov 09, 2011
200/220km. That was my former 1999 Audi A3. Stuttgart to Munich.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by iykak47: 4:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
some years ago before i left naija,  honda accord 185km/h  Benin  Asaba express road, but i swore never to take such unnecessary risk again  because ''speed kills''.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 09, 2011
shabbie:

When I get the picture from my Mrs Phone, I will upload it

Bro, I don't doubt what your speedo indicated. All I'm stating is, from a technical viewpoint, the Renault Scenic 2,0 dCi with 147 bhp won't get anywhere close to 160 mph. Renault quote a maximum of 127 mph for manual gearbox, and 123 mph for auto.

The big, boxy shape of the Renault Scenic won't permit such a top end, and if the engine made 300 bhp, with the current transmission, you'll still be looking at the 144 mph mark.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
@ Siena!!

I love the way you talk automobiles!!

Do you own a garage?! I'll love to send my boys over to intern with you on the holidays. I'll pay!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Bossman(m): 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2011
Wow! You guys fire in Naija oh. Do these old V4 cars really go that fast? If they do that would certainly put a strain on the engine. Anyway, I do not think police there enforce any kind of speed anyway.

For me - About 5 years ago, I got paced at 125 MPH (was actually unknowingly racing with an unmarked police cruiser at 1 am on I-90 in Chicago). It was a freaking $585 ticket. Car was a 2004 Infiniti I35 with 255 HP.

Also, just recently I hit 110 MPH (set speed warning at 100 MPH)  on I-355 in Chicago. Car was a 2011 BMW 535ix with 300 HP.

On these occasions, I was the only one in the car. I certainly will not go these speeds if my family was in the car with me.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 5:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
Bro, I don't doubt what your speedo indicated. All I'm stating is, from a technical viewpoint, the Renault Scenic 2,0 dCi with 147 bhp won't get anywhere close to 160 mph. Renault quote a maximum of 127 mph for manual gearbox, and 123 mph for auto.

Am Sorry a Renault Scenic can NEVER clock 160mph even a Renault Clio V6 they use for Rallying which is faster cannot clock 160mph. The Scenic is a diesel 4 cylinder engine (unless they mounted another engine in the car)
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 09, 2011
Okija_juju:

@ Siena!!

I love the way you talk automobiles!!

Do you own a garage?! I'll love to send my boys over to intern with you on the holidays. I'll pay!

Yes, I run a small workshop. Small enough not to get too much work in, so the cars I do work on don't get issues overlooked.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by mykhel995: 5:21pm On Nov 09, 2011
120 kph. after christmas last year. some deserted highway on the outskirts of ibadan. was 15 with a driving instructor who didnt know i could drive. he was egging me on. when i hit 90 he started gettn scared. at 100 he was shakin. by 120 he had stopped talkin. he told my mum. havnt passed 90kph since then. not allowed to drive unsupervised(lol). with my mum now once the speedometer is at 70she starts telln me to slow down. once i turn 18 i swear only God knows what ill be doin. wink
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by mileskiyo(m): 5:44pm On Nov 09, 2011
200 km/h in my Toyota Camry 03 model. Every time I tried to pass that speed, the vehicle just shuts down and then takes off the moment it dips just under 190km/h,
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 09, 2011
My dad regularly does 160km/h with his Toyota Sienna 1999 model. In Aug, 2011 we did about 170km/h with the van on Lagos-Ibadan express way, a Golf competed with us but later ended up in flame. We were actually in hurry.

Well, I am used to speed, my dad has been speeding with me in the car since I was young. Nigeria roads are bad, but let me tell u, I ve seen speed. Real ones man, real real real ffucking speed. Who says we can't speed despite tha bad roads? Stay long on Lagos - Ibadan Exp way, u will see.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by JUO(m): 6:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
Well, I am used to speed, my dad has been speeding with me in the car since I was young. Nigeria roads are bad, but let me tell u, I ve seen speed. Real ones man, real real real ffucking speed. Who says we can't speed despite tha bad roads? Stay long on Lagos - Ibadan Exp way, u will see.
true talk but not for long
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by toyboy1(m): 6:15pm On Nov 09, 2011
My optimal driving speed on the highway is 160km/hr. While i clock 200km/hr severally even made 210km/hr once, All these on kad-abj road and kad - zaria road.
Guys i love speed and i do speed with cars, smashed my cars 3 times inside town cos of overspeeding. I want to limit my travelling speed to 140km/hr but i lose concentration and tend to start faling asleep weneva i try that. Speed keeps me alert on d highway.
Idrive 2002 baby boy and a 2004 prestige &executive 406 with EW12 engine
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by phuckNL: 6:20pm On Nov 09, 2011
tpacalipse:

My dad regularly does 160km/h with his Toyota Sienna 1999 model. In Aug, 2011 we did about 170km/h with the van on Lagos-Ibadan express way, a Golf competed with us but later ended up in flame. We were actually in hurry.

Obituaries are posted everytime my friend. People have accidents on that road every 3hrs!!!!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by blank(f): 6:40pm On Nov 09, 2011
How can i forget when i did 150km/hr with my hubby's Honda prelude in 2006 between Enugu and Awka? Those were the good old days. I miss that my night rider. It made distance to be nothing but English. The following day i had a tire blowout. I wonder what would av happened if it was the day before while i was speeding. undecided
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by eros(m): 6:42pm On Nov 09, 2011
phuck_NL:

Obituaries are posted everytime my friend. People have accidents on that road every 3hrs!!!!

Bros you are too pessimistic. We all know speed kills, i mean do you think i will be deliberately suicidal by over-speeding? We all get your point, let it be.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by initiate: 6:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
lagos ibadan exp

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by chineloSA(f): 7:20pm On Nov 09, 2011
@ ALL you MUMU's are going on 'bout the the HIGHEST SPEED you have made on our roads.

Millions of people die on our roads because of people like you.

Its not something that you should bè proud of.
Its not sexy no cool.

GROW UP.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 09, 2011
chineloSA:

@ ALL you MUMU's are going on 'bout the the HIGHEST SPEED you have made on our roads.

Millions of people die on our roads because of people like you.

Its not something that you should bè proud of.
Its not sexy no cool.

GROW UP.

Hey, not everyone does high speed trials on public roads. And for those that do, if they offend you that much, simply get them arrested!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Wallie(m): 7:50pm On Nov 09, 2011
Siena:

The big, boxy shape of the Renault Scenic won't permit such a top end, and if the engine made 300 bhp, with the current transmission, you'll still be looking at the 144 mph mark.

I think that people underestimate the amount of power needed to overcome aerodynamic drag.

To overcome air drag at 150 mph for a car with coefficient of friction (cd) 0.30 (like a Corvette), you need 145hp. Then you need more horsepower for rolling resistance of the tires and overcoming internal friction of the engine.

Even with the right horsepower, you still have to overcome the limitation of the gear ratio.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by eros(m): 7:59pm On Nov 09, 2011
Wallie:

I think that people underestimate the amount of power needed to overcome aerodynamic drag.

To overcome air drag at 150 mph for a car with coefficient of friction (cd) 0.30 (like a Corvette), you need 145hp. Then you need more horsepower for rolling resistance of the tires and overcoming internal friction of the engine.

Even with the right horsepower, you still have to overcome the limitation of the gear ratio.

To be honest, i don't understand a word of these auto jargon you used above.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Ikenna351(m): 8:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
For the faint-hearted here and non car enthusiasts here. This is for you.

There is a difference between a performance car and just a car. High speed are not mearnt for all cars. A person driving an I4 car at 170kph is risking his life and risking destroying the car . A performance car has an engine designed for high speed, together with the body structure and other mechanicals of the car. A performance car's suspension, strut/shock absorber, cross bar, trailing arms,etc are all different from ordinally cars. They are designed to stabilize or balance the car at a very high speed. Not every cars can maintain its balance when it hits or jumps pothole at high speed. Experience of highway driving also comes into play. Just because you bought a car and started driving, doesnt mean that you are experienced enough to speed on high way. Its not about speed. Every car can speed upto 170 kph. But the driver of the car at high speed and how to deal with potholes at such speed is a different ball game. How many people are experienced enough in driving to know that at certain hi speed, one should not steer away from pothole, rather jump it (which a performance car has advantage over ordinally car)? How many are experienced enough to know the distance or gap one should give a car in his front before he overtakes (to be able to see clearly and not fall into the same pothole the car infront falls into)? How many know what to do before one negotiates a sharp bend at hi speed? How many experienced enough to know the speed limit the tyre on their cars can take? etc.

When i bought my Peugeot 505 V6 5-speed manual, people called me nuts. No one could understand why i bought such a car in this generation. I never bothered to explain to anyone my reasons for my choice in choosing such a Lion. First, its a performance car. Its RWD (Rear Wheel Drive). Its V6. And the ultimate is that is a V6 with manual transmission. It was designed for high speed, for high way. It has a very low clearance, with 15" Alloy wheels. The V6 engine in the front gives the car front heavy weight. The RWD also makes the car to have weight at the rear when at top speed. Therefore, when at top speed with the car, the heavy V6 engine in the front and RWD configuration gives the car front-rear even weight distribution when at high speed. Every mechanical in 505 V6 front is different from other 505 models, to match the car with the power the V6 engine produces. The car is very very predictable on hi speed. It has never lost control no matter how deep a pothole is when the car is on hi speed. I got to Lokoja from Abuja with the car less than 2 hrs, nothwithsatding how terrible the road was and still is. Those of us that lives in Abuja will understand what am talking about. To cut the story short, i wasnt looking for city car to buy when i bought the car. I was after a long distance car, super performance car that matched our terrible Nigeria high ways. The 505 V6, with 5-speed manual, matched that profile, what i needed.

I have done speed high enough not to mention here with that car. If you have been to Abuja, you would know how good, free and wide most of the Abuja city roads are. Am a speed type. Which was why i bought a performance car to take care of that. I speed, but only when am alone in the car, which am always alone. If you are not experienced enough to speed on Nigeria high ways, with a matching car, leave it for us!

Ikenna.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by eros(m): 8:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
Ikenna351:

For the faint-hearted here and non car enthusiasts here. This is for you.

There is a difference between a performance car and just a car. High speed are not mearnt for all cars. A person an I4 car170kph is risking his life and the destruction of the car. A performance car has an engine designed for high speed, together with the body structure and other mechanicals of the car. A performance car suspension, strut/shock absorber, cross bar, trailing arms,etc are all different from ordinally cars. They are designed to stabilize or balance the car at a very high speed. Not every cars can maintain its balance when it hits or jumps pothole at high speed. Experience of highway driving also comes into play. Just because you bought a car and started driving, does mean that you are experienced enough to speed on high way. Its not about speed. Every car can speed to 170 kph. But the drivers of the car at high speed and how to deal with potholes at such speed is a different ball game. How many people are experienced enough in driving to know that certain hi speed, oneshould not steer away from pothole, rather jump it (which a performance car has advantage of over ordinally car)? How many are experienced enough to know the distance or gap one should give a car in his front before he overtakes (to be able to see clearly and not fall into the same pothole the car infront falls into)? How many know what to do before one negotiates a sharp bend at hi speed?

When i bought my Peugeot 505 V6 5-speed manual, people called me nuts. No one could understand why such a car in this generation. I never bothered to explain to anyone my reasons for my choice in choosing such a Lion. First, its a performance car. Its RWD (Rear Wheel Drive). Its V6. And the ultimate is that is a V6 with manual transmission. It was designed for high speed, for high way. It has a very low clearance, with 15" Alloy wheels. The V6 engine in the front gives the car front heavy weight. The RWD also makes the car to have weight at the rear when at top speed. Therefore, when at top speed with the car, the heavy V6 engine in the front and RWD configuration gives the car front-rear even weight distribution when at high speed. Every mechanical in 505 V6 front is different from other 505 models, to match the car with the power the V6 engine produces.n The car is very very predictable on hi speed. It has never lost control no matter how deep a pothole is when the car is on hi speed. I got to Lokoja from Abuja with the car less than 2 hrs, nothwithsatding how terrible the road is. Those of us that lives in Abuja will understand wghat am talking about. To cut the story short, i wasnt looking for city car to buy when i bought the car. I was after a super performance car that matches our terrible Nigeria high ways. The 505 V6, with 5-speed manual, matched what i needed.

I have done speed high enough not to mention here with the car. If you have been to Abuja, you would know how good, free and wide most of the Abuja city roads are. Am a speed type. Which was why i bought a performance car to take care of that. I speed, but only when am alone in the car, which am always alone. If you are not experienced enough to speed on Nigeria high ways, with a matching car, leave it for us!

Ikenna.

Thank you for the detailed explanation and very well said. So if you are not a speed fan, please jazz out of this thread. You must not always comment on every thread, some are just out of limit for your mind to handle.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 8:20pm On Nov 09, 2011

Oh common how could you put a Corvette and a Scenic in the same category, a Corvette is shape in way that create its own down-force and could easily cut through a cross wind, Corvette is what I call a proper American muscle! they come in 5.5, 6.0, 7.0 ltr engine (minimum a V8) with a BHP closer to 500,
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Witi(m): 8:24pm On Nov 09, 2011
Now know the cause of accidents along Abuja-Lokoja rd;(;(, over speeding. Insane.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by SignorZax: 8:25pm On Nov 09, 2011
I used to work in Benin and lived in Bayelsa, sometym last year. Usu, I leave Benin by abt 3.00pm on fridays to spend the weekend in Bayelsa and resume str8 at the office in Benin on Monday mornings by 8.30am. My average speed on the Benin-Warri expressway was usu 180kph in my 2004 Honda Accord Ex wit a 2.4l petrol engine. Most tyms I actually drive at 220kmh along that road with my music at deafening levels, kilishi spread out on the passenger seat besyd me and some cans of star in the bottle holder pockets. That car was a beaut and you will be tempted to do same if you had that very car I had, it was a really good glider.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 09, 2011
Ikenna351:

A person an I4 car170kph is risking his life and the destruction of the car.  

Much as I'm a fan of V6 / V8 engines, I would disagree with you. 170 km/h is a mere 105 mph. A 1,6 I4 with 90 bhp will achieve 105 mph without breaking into a sweat. It's not how many cylinders an engine has, but how much power and torque it makes.

An Audi A4 B6 1,6 I4 makes 100 bhp, and maximum speed is 117 mph (190 km/h)
An Audi A4 B6 1,8T I4 Sport makes 190 bhp, and maximum speed is 147 mph (238 km/h)

A Kia Picanto 1,25 I4 (2011) makes 84 bhp, and maximum speed is 106 mph (172 km/h)

A Ford Sierra RS Cosworth 2,0 16V turbo makes 220 bhp, and maximum speed is 152 mph (247 km/h)

All the above are just examples of the relationship between engine output versus aerodynamics versus gearing. It has little to do with how many cylinders they have. A glaring example is the 1998 Audi A8 3,7 V8 32 Quattro. It makes 235 bhp, but has a maximum speed of 153 mph (248 km/h). Making it only 1 mile better at its maximum speed than a 1987 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth (I4), despite the Audi A8's obvious aerodynamic advantage.

We're biased towards our own cars, but c'mon! There are lots of I4 engines that would give V6 / V8 engines a run for their money.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Ikenna351(m): 8:47pm On Nov 09, 2011
Siena:

Much as I'm a fan of V6 / V8 engines, I would disagree with you. 170 km/h is a mere 105 mph. A 1,6 I4 with 90 bhp will achieve 105 mph without breaking into a sweat. It's not how many cylinders an engine has, but how much power and torque it makes.

An Audi A4 B6 1,6 I4 makes 100 bhp, and maximum speed is 117 mph (190 km/h)
An Audi A4 B6 1,8T I4 Sport makes 190 bhp, and maximum speed is 147 mph (238 km/h)

A Kia Picanto 1,25 I4 (2011) makes 84 bhp, and maximum speed is 106 mph (172 km/h)

A Ford Sierra RS Cosworth 2,0 16V turbo makes 220 bhp, and maximum speed is 152 mph (247 km/h)

All the above are just examples of the relationship between engine output versus aerodynamics versus gearing. It has little to do with how many cylinders they have. A glaring example is the 1998 Audi A8 3,7 V8 32 Quattro. It makes 235 bhp, but has a maximum speed of 153 mph (248 km/h). Making it only 1 mile better at its maximum speed than a 1987 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth (I4), despite the Audi A8's obvious aerodynamic advantage.

We're biased towards our own cars, but c'mon! There are lots of I4 engines that would give V6 / V8 engines a run for their money.

Siena, you got it wrong. If you read the post properly, you would understand that i wasnt emphasing on the speed, but a matching car for a high speed.

Like i noted in the earlier post, a KIA Picanto can speed upto 170kph. Yes, likewise Toyota Yaris. But are you now telling me that the body or size of such cars match such speeds? You think they can handle it? So just because a car instrument cluster shows 240 km/h, means that its safe to speed the car in question at such speed and still manuaever eventualities at such speeds?

Ikenna.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by ideylaff: 8:53pm On Nov 09, 2011
I reached 300 KPH (187.5 MPH) on the SilverStone Circuit in an F1 car as a Birthday Experience Adventure gift. a few years ago, wow cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FRSC Writes Toyota Over High Rate Of Crashes / Branded Cars. What Are the Required Documents? / Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.