Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,976 members, 7,810,708 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? (14897 Views)

What Is The Maximum Speed You've Attained While Driving? / The Fastest Car Of Every Decade (1880-present) / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by BlackBaron: 11:19am On Nov 10, 2011
70mph in a 2010 VW polo?  embarassed
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by ambyzown(m): 11:24am On Nov 10, 2011
Ikenna351:

@ ambyzown,

Yes, performance cars, they might be too. But does that stop the 505 V6 from being one too? Was it because it a late '90s production?

Ikenna.

Late 90's shocked shocked  Am I mistaken, or was the Peugeot 505 V6 a 1986 production model?
When it rolled out of the production line 25yrs it had 170bhp, 0-60 in 9.3secs and top speed of 195kph. That's not performance car stats. Are you telling me that after 25yrs of abuse and Tokunbo parts you believe you can still get more than 120 horses out of that engine? Evidently you haven't had much driver time in cars other than your 505.
Anyway you're yet to tell us the fastest you've ever been in it.

@Siena: I agree those should be classified as super cars. But I fear we will soon run out of names to classify cars like the Ferraris and Koenigsegg.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 10, 2011
n.oxide:

@siena. . is it possible to calculate the maximum possible speed of a car wn u know d engine specs. I use a camry 2.2L with a 5s-FE engine. Wt u tnk?

You can get a rough idea, based on hp, torque versus aerodynamics and gearing.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 10, 2011
ambyzown:

@Siena: I agree those should be classified as super cars. But I fear we will soon run out of names to classify cars like the Ferraris and Koenigsegg.

You're right. I guess we'll get new designations to cover cars that become airborne at their maximum, hehehe. wink
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by omar22(m): 1:15pm On Nov 10, 2011
@siena. . is it possible to calculate the maximum possible speed of a car wn u know d engine specs. I use a camry 2.2L with a 5s-FE engine. Wt u tnk?

These cars are tested on a straight line speed, probably with less than a quarter tank of fuel, with only the driver, probably no back seats as well, If for example a Volkwagen Golf VR6 has a top speed of 140mph (i think) thats on a dead straight road! no curves or hills involved, not a Golf filled with people or filled with petrol or diesel,

And definitely not almost bold tyres
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by damilola15: 1:19pm On Nov 10, 2011
I've probably not gone more than 120Kph, but I remember trying to overtake a tractor (those new models) when the driver decided to pick up speed, it couldn't have been going for more than 35-40kph but it was fun for me and my passenger.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by tushbobo(m): 7:29pm On Nov 10, 2011
220kmph in ma honda accord 2005 V6 at Benin bye-pass.i do this often when i m on that road going from lag to ph or vice versa.buh i think i would not do that next time i travel cos its becoming a bad habit.Most times i feel im driving slow even when im on 160kmph.i cant remember when last a car overtook me when travellin.I once left lag past 6 and got to PH before 12:30 pm with so many check points and very bad roads.i sure ma next journey ll be slow and steady
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by grimadult(m): 9:30pm On Nov 10, 2011
mine was in a ford ranger.160hmph. brand new from lagos. then in a 2002 pathfinder se from benin republic through niger and into nigeria via kastina. the suv never made it home. rolled over whn i lost a tire at 175kmph. thank god am alive.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by tnktosin(m): 11:57pm On Nov 10, 2011
240km/hr in a friend's Acura RL 2007,
264km/hr on my Yamaha R6 2006 bike (K&N free flow air filter, Baffle-less carbon fibre exhaust), Koko Road, Delta state.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by THEScot: 12:16am On Nov 11, 2011
Wow, some funny info on here

But the winner has to be the guy who believes his MPV went 160mph! - that is very funny!

I have reached 155mph in an M5 as a passenger, but I am counting it

And before the plane took off I was rolling at 175mph! grin

LOL - 160 in an MPV!

Saving my pennies up for a Maserrati 4.2 -

I have an Alfa right now but need something a bit sportier to keep up with these MPVs, buses, gultless yank gas guzzlers and 20 year old peugot's
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 12:34am On Nov 11, 2011
THEScot:

Wow, some funny info on here
But the winner has to be the guy who believes his MPV went 160mph! - that is very funny!
I have reached 155mph in an M5 as a passenger, but I am counting it
And before the plane took off I was rolling at 175mph! grin
LOL - 160 in an MPV!
Saving my pennies up for a Maserrati 4.2 -
I have an Alfa right now but need something a bit sportier to keep up with these MPVs, buses, gultless yank gas guzzlers and 20 year old peugot's

He probably meant 160 km/h. If he truly meant mph, then that's got to be one of the fastest barns around. wink
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by italkalot: 12:48am On Nov 11, 2011
car - honda accord 2005 model
where - third mainland bridge (at night)
speed - 184km/h
why - cus i am reckless and yung
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Gbenge77(m): 9:03am On Nov 11, 2011
180kmph
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 11, 2011
I notice a lot of posters are posting their speeds in kmph. That measure of speed is incorrect. There are only two correct formats - metric or imperial.

MPH (Miles Per Hour) - imperial value.
Km/h or KPH (Kilometres Per Hour) - metric value.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Mykellio: 12:20am On Nov 15, 2011
1)fiat croma 1993 model, 2001, 120km/h as a learner, my dad slept into a coma and had to rush him to the hospital
2)opel rekord 1992 model, in December 2005, 140km/h i was just happy
3)renault safrane 1999 model, August 2008, Abuja to Lagos 200km/h , 7hrs; February 2009, 190km/h Jos to Lagos in about 9hrs, i snapped a photo of d speedometer wt my right hand posted d pic on NBF sm time ago.
4)chrysler voyager 2001 model, Ibadan to Lagos, , 35mins 170km/h, FRSC ran frm der checkpoints wen dey saw me comin, it was a crazy day, lol!
5)bmw 5series 1996 model, February 2011 220km/h on Third Mainland bridge, sm rude guy in a 2010 black BmW 7series challenged me, flashd me rear lamps & gave me d middle finger, i taught him a lesson!! as in seriously
6)toyota corolla 2010 model, August 2011, 190km/h frm Wuse to Garki, itz an highway in Abuja i dnt kno its name.
7)volvo 740 1995 model, October 2011, 180km/h from Abuja to Lagos, 8hrs; i dusted a Honda Pilot 2006 model twice, i challenged him.
coolnissan primera 1997 model, January 2010, 220km/h
9) i m yet to try out my lexus gs 300 2001 model,
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 12:35am On Nov 15, 2011
^^^Mykellio, I must say you have been busy!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Mykellio: 12:42am On Nov 15, 2011
well may b~~~@Siena, bt i just love drivin, especially fast! d part i luv d most is using older model cars to mess up d newer 1s lyk d 7series guy. u nidd 2 see d look on his face wen i blazed him off d road along Osborn drive in Ikoyi. its smthin i enjoy. d adrenaline rush & all, its fun.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 1:12am On Nov 15, 2011
^^^ Just be careful, especially snapping pictures of your speedo at those speeds. Drive safe! smiley
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by iamsaeed(m): 2:40am On Nov 15, 2011
cool My top speed was around 240km/h (150m/h) in my 2001 Mercedes C320. 3.2L V6, along Kaduna Kano express way and Kaduna Abuja express way. I LOVE SPEED!!!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Denn(m): 10:45am On Nov 15, 2011
my first car, honda accord LX 1990 model year, 120KPH at max throttle, the tiny 4-pot wouldnt go further despite floggings

Mitsubishi Montero Sports 1999 mod year, ijebu-ode to lagos, 160kph for a relatively short distance, reduced speed when the truck was dancing awilo, maxed to 180kph on third mainland bridge one night around 4am after clubbing, dusted my friend's EOD, gosh i hate to remember that night cos i cant even swim!

Acura Legend 1999 mod year, ogbomosho to ilorin new road, clean 200kph, no pothole, no police checkpoint,,

BMW 323 Ci, ife to ibadan stretch, 200kph, car could have gone more,

last week, Infiniti FX45, third mainland bridge, 220kph, just for the thrill,

generally, i enjoy drag races from stop lights, i taunt other drivers too into chases when possible and i dont forget to celebrate with the 'double pointer' whenever i win,
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Pukkah: 10:47am On Nov 15, 2011
Denn:

my first car, honda accord LX 1990 model year, 120KPH at max throttle, the tiny 4-pot wouldnt go further despite floggings

Mitsubishi Montero Sports 1999 mod year, ijebu-ode to lagos,  160kph for a relatively short distance, reduced speed when the truck was dancing awilo, maxed to 180kph on third mainland bridge one night around 4am after clubbing, dusted my friend's EOD, gosh i hate to remember that night cos i cant even swim!

Acura Legend 1999 mod year, ogbomosho to ilorin new road, clean 200kph, no pothole, no police checkpoint,,

BMW 323 Ci, ife to ibadan stretch, 200kph, car could have gone more,

last week, Infiniti FX45, third mainland bridge, 220kph, just for the thrill,

generally, i enjoy drag races from stop lights, i taunt other drivers too into chases when possible and i dont forget to celebrate with the 'double pointer' whenever i win,

Try and take it easy on that bridge. You could run into obstacles without any warning!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 15, 2011
Is TMB smooth - as in no potholes / undulations?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by blank(f): 1:09pm On Nov 15, 2011
Third Manland has many potholes and sometimes dips suddenly. However, if you have been driving that road for some time, you will know where thay all are. grin Sometimes, new holes appear out of the blues but not too deep.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by komekn(m): 4:39pm On Nov 15, 2011
Driven on the autobahn quite a few times always exceeded 200kmph with a Merc 230, didn't go beyond 180kmph in an Explorer and a 4runner.

Done 140mph in an ungoverned FX45 with 22 rims on the M6 toll now that was a few years ago wouldn't take the risk now want to keep my licence clean and I have outgrown that kind of exuberance.

In Nigeria never done above 160kmph with those roads and crazy drivers i am many things but not MAD. cool cool cool
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Denn(m): 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2011
most nigerian roads have uneven surfaces, however, constant commute gives a 'knowledge advantage', you know the good sections,

the average speed on third mainland bridge despite undulations fall around 110-160kph, except during rush hours when it is 0.0005KPH, wink

it remains one of the only few roads you can spit out your venoms in Lagos, its way better than lagos-ibadan express way,
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by 989900: 11:54pm On Nov 16, 2011
And I thought I was the only one crazy, smiley

I never go past 140km/h both in and out of the country at least not until someone thinks he's crazier (so hard to resist the temptation).

Now that I have kids, I don't go past 130km/h on Nigerian highways, just have to put my family first (huge task though).

Highest I'd done anyways was 220km/h on Dubai-Abu Dhabi Express with my FX45 in 2005. I was racing an old Arab man (in his sixties probably) he was ridding an '03/'04 Mercedes S55 AMG. He would slow down for me to catch up with him and speed off, slow down for me to catch up and speed off. Boy!!! He made me feel like I was ridding a bicycle, Agba'ya!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by smk90210: 9:52pm On Nov 20, 2011
E550 230-240 km, abj- kaduna but don't be suprised to see a car still pass u thuou didn't happen on dat day sha. cool cool cool
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by tyor: 1:02am On Nov 21, 2011
Even with my Toy-sized Engine, Toyota Corolla 2005 English-model (a.k.a Bank Corolla).

Average speed when travelling is 180KM/H.

TIME CHALLENGES:
1. Lagos - Ilorin (Iyana Oworo, Lagos - Ilorin Airport) >>>> 2hrs 37min (I left V/Island @ 6pm)
2. Lagos -Ibadan (Adekunle, Yaba - Ojoo, Ibadan)>>>>>43mins
3. Adeyemo Alakija, V/Island - Jibowu, Yaba >>>>>>> 5mins
4. My office on Muri Okunola Street, V/Island - Iyana Oworo with one play of Pakurumo Song by Wizkid (This is my daily standard).
5. Lautech, Ogbomosho - Ilorin >>>>> 10mins
6. Head Bridge, Onitsha - Berger, Lagos >>>>>4hrs 09mins (Not the one driving tho)

U would really TRY HARD to overtake me on "NAIJA" interstate roads, not because of my engine, but my experience travelling on 9ja roads (I can describe the location of almost every pothole on Lagos/Ibadan expressway thru to Ilorin or to Benin).

I would neva buy a car wit engine capacity above 1.8i, buyin a car with a bigger engine means signing my DEATH CERTIFICATE (unless I'll be chaffeured).
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by emiechat: 5:46am On Nov 21, 2011
Did 200km/h with my camry 2002 on Kaduna - Abuja road. shocked
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Pukkah: 1:03pm On Nov 21, 2011
tyor:

Even with my Toy-sized Engine,  Toyota Corolla 2005 English-model (a.k.a Bank Corolla).

Average speed when travelling is 180KM/H.

TIME CHALLENGES:
1. Lagos - Ilorin (Iyana Oworo, Lagos - Ilorin Airport) >>>> 2hrs 37min (I left V/Island @ 6pm)
2. Lagos -Ibadan (Adekunle, Yaba - Ojoo, Ibadan)>>>>>43mins

3. Adeyemo Alakija, V/Island - Jibowu, Yaba >>>>>>> 5mins
4. My office on Muri Okunola Street, V/Island - Iyana Oworo with one play of Pakurumo Song by Wizkid (This is my daily standard).
5. Lautech, Ogbomosho - Ilorin >>>>> 10mins
6. Head Bridge, Onitsha - Berger, Lagos >>>>>4hrs 09mins (Not the one driving tho)

U would really TRY HARD to overtake me on "NAIJA" interstate roads,  not because of my engine, but my experience travelling on 9ja roads (I can describe the location of almost every pothole on Lagos/Ibadan expressway thru to Ilorin or to Benin).

I would neva buy a car wit engine capacity above 1.8i, buyin a car with a bigger engine means signing my DEATH CERTIFICATE (unless I'll be chaffeured).

While your time/distance/speed calculations may be correct, it is practically impossible to drive continuously on those roads at a speed of 180km/hour.  Or how did you do it?

Lagos to Ibadan is bad enough but Ibadan to Ilorin (either through Oyo or wherever) is worse.

Kindly let's learn from you.  How did you achieve these feats despite the state of the roads, traffic issues, police checkpoints, obstacles, etc?

And you made Jibowu, Yaba in 5 mins from Adeyemo Alakija? At what time of the day was this please?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by leadro(m): 3:41pm On Nov 21, 2011
before i say anything, yes i know. speed kills so let me be.

used to do a lot of travelling with my dad. didnt want him driving long distances so i drove for him. always at moderated speeds of course.
you shouters of speed kills are actually the ones who sometimes create obstacles along the way. if you know you cant move, then by all means get out of the way of faster vehicles.
wouldnt say this is my list of fastest speeds ever (cos i still wanna go faster), just my list of fastest speeds with different cars.

1. 05 toyota corolla 190 kph benin-warri express
2. 97 honda accord (bulldog v6) 200 kph ife-ibadan express
3. 97 honda accord (bulldog v6) clocked out the speedo (just saw fast and furious4 that night and this audi 80 zoomed past on 3rd mainland while i was trying to restrain myself. needless to say i showed him grin. needless to say i REFUSED to drive to go see fast 5)
4. 09 kia optima 187 kph. lokoja-abuja express
5. 10 toyota corolla 190 kph lokoja abuja express. (lovely engine, crappy brakes)
6. 10 hyundai ix35 180 kph benin warri express (seriously underpowered)
7. 2006 acura tl coming soon ( neeed to buy one first wink )
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by oblo(m): 5:45pm On Nov 21, 2011
My Humble max in my 1997 nissan almera hatchback was a modest 180km on lagos- ibadan expressway. My next car will definately be a v6 . I don tire to dey drive i4 engine joo, sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FRSC Writes Toyota Over High Rate Of Crashes / Branded Cars. What Are the Required Documents? / Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.