Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,971 members, 7,810,691 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? (14896 Views)

What Is The Maximum Speed You've Attained While Driving? / The Fastest Car Of Every Decade (1880-present) / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Joagbaje(m): 11:45am On Nov 09, 2011
I did 200k/h with Acura rdx 2007 model. I did just for record.lagos ore rd.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by ariblaze(m): 11:52am On Nov 09, 2011
well since the title said cars . . , . i guess i cant talk about fastest speed on bikes then. . . . , but for taste , we average 180-200km/ph on the third mainland

fastest ever in a car BMW 3.251 . . . .clocked 190km ph, chasing another BMW 5series
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by JUO(m): 12:21pm On Nov 09, 2011
which road ooo?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by mustspin: 12:29pm On Nov 09, 2011
baby-boy:

No you cant!!!

Unless you are driving a Lamboghini or Ferrari (or an F1 car that has a 7th gear)

an BMW M3/M5 would get you between 160-175 (Ok an M5 would clock 177mph because it has a 6th gear)

A normal car would clock  145mph due to the aero dynamic of the car
thats not true, my toyota corolla 2007 did  190km/hr on ibadan -ife -ilesha rd, infact the driver never went below 140km/hr. only a bentley was able to keep up with us
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by elowa: 12:35pm On Nov 09, 2011
Done a couple of unofficial racing testing my speed skill, but the one i still remb vividly was wen i almost got killed,
was racing a BMW 5-series in a rented 2008 toyota yaris and was doing almost 165km/hr while watching out for cameras,
still had it under control till we got to a round-about and i went to 100km/hr but the dude was stil in front so i decided not to go lower, made the round while giving allowance for a silly slow truck on my right,
was suppose to continue going straight but my car started going leftwards and i had to yank to the right outta panic, and pooh! my car started spinning.
Must have released the clutch abruptly cos my engine got quenched and i found myself on the culvert (a flat one dividing the road) with my wiper running grin and without a dent. One of the reason i ll alwaz pick a manual anyday.
Not sure i ve learnt my lesson though
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 12:43pm On Nov 09, 2011
quotethats not true, my toyota corolla 2007 did 190km/hr on ibadan -ife -ilesha rd, infact the driver never went below 140km/hr. only a bentley was able to keep up with us

190km/hr is not 190mph (190km is 118mph) A corolla is a middle sized engine 1.6 - 2.0 liter engine car, maybe a 16v at most a Corolla could hit 135mph and that would be a top of the range probably a twin cam engine,
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by miccodb(m): 12:45pm On Nov 09, 2011
congrats to all you drivers. im a proud biker of 300km/h on benin bypass on a ninja1200
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 12:51pm On Nov 09, 2011
congrats to all you drivers. im a proud biker of 300km/h on benin bypass on a ninja1200

Bikes are faster than most cars because they extremely light, they would leave you for dead, I once drove an Audi Quattro chasing a biker riding a Kawasaki Ninja, going at top speed, the biker disappeared then slowed down for us to catch up, then disappeared again, then slowed down before he finally put his foot down and vanished and I was doing between 135mph - 145mph on the M4
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by yommysomguy(m): 12:54pm On Nov 09, 2011
True. Some bikes are faster than cars
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by yommysomguy(m): 12:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
My cargo bike is faster than vokswagen bitus, lol
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Biggybountz: 1:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
160km/hr with my 1997 Isuzu Trooper on 3rd mainland towards oworonshoki, men am always scared to race with this SUV, gulps fuel when i fire and it's got low stability men!, compared to Benz's SUVs, though a very reliable jeep and cheap to maintain too except for fuel gulping!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by SeyiJay(m): 1:15pm On Nov 09, 2011
. . . Once pulled about 140kph in a '95 Camry V6 some time back on Ajah - Epe highway. A sudden truck appearance put me on check cos the speedo dial was bent on rising,

@Siena: How did you beat the electronic limiter on the S8 for pulling 158mph? And considering that speed on a 16-mile road stretch, I wonder how many secs you maintained that velocity,
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by snthesis(m): 1:20pm On Nov 09, 2011
190km/hr lekki-epe expressway, Honda CRX badass machine cool
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Somatic(m): 1:23pm On Nov 09, 2011
Ï dey fear. 100km/h does it for me for now. Buh I've been driven to school once in speeds in excess of 220km/h notwithstanding the Lokoja hold up. The vehicle was a tear rubber then diesel LR defender 2005 model. When mumsi noted that we had entered Benin City around 12 thereabouts (we left Kaduna some minutes past eight), she promptly called my dad who threatened the poor driver with his job should a repeat happen. The return trip to KD was completed at some decent minutes to four. Who wan lose job?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 09, 2011
SeyiJay:

. . . Once pulled about 140kph in a '95 Camry V6 some time back on Ajah - Epe highway. A sudden truck appearance put me on check cos the speedo dial was bent on rising,

@Siena: How did you beat the electronic limiter on the S8 for pulling 158mph? And considering that speed on a 16-mile road stretch, I wonder how many secs you maintained that velocity,

Bro, I said the max on the Audi S8 is limited electronically to 155 mph. The speedo indicated 158 mph, that was not the maximum. At a genuine 155 mph, the speedo would actually indicate about 5% higher. It is also virtually unheard of for a production car's 155 mph limit to indicate that same max on the dial. Some cars will creep over the limited value by up to 8 miles.

I also stated the stretch of unrestricted Autobahn I was on was 16 miles long, I didn't state I maintained 158 mph the whole length. As unrestricted as that stretch may be, you would still encounter other vehicles that would require you either slow down, or take evasive action whilst maintaining your speed.

I choose to slow down.

I hope we're clear on things now?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by juman(m): 1:46pm On Nov 09, 2011
170km/hr, peugeot 505 in 1986 along Irra - Offa road. I was not the driver.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by MONAGHAN: 2:21pm On Nov 09, 2011
I can see now that most of us nigerians think and behave the same way, can u imagine doing over 160km/hr on a country road full of pot holes ,and only God knows what you will appoach on a bend,do we ever think of ( SSD ) STOPPING SIGHT DISTANCE incase of emergency ,at that kind of speed you are no longger incharge of the vehicle .even for a standard motorway the maxium speed should not be over 120km/hr.
  so when you get accident on a high speed you will be blaming your step mother say she the one that jazz you with juju or blame your co worker say because he want to take your pose.
 well 2words for you SPEED KILLS
OR 1min silent.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by blank(f): 2:25pm On Nov 09, 2011
I did 180km/hr on third mainland bridge in my one year old Tucson. It was very early Saturday morning. Woke up late and had to pick my hubby from the airport. I left Lekki by 6:20am and i got to the airport well before 7am. I actually had time to circle round the airport before 7am.

I have done 140kmph in my 10 year old Toyota Corolla. Left Chevron roundabout by 6:30 amd got to Surulere, Adelabu street a little past 7am. Those were the good old days. Now, i am too invested to risk such.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by ritux: 2:25pm On Nov 09, 2011
anybody conversant with Benin-Warri express road? I covered that distance in 25mins driving at 175km/hr i.e from sapele road axis in Benin to Effurun round-about in Warri.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by SeyiJay(m): 2:35pm On Nov 09, 2011
Siena:

Bro, I said the max on the Audi S8 is limited electronically to 155 mph. The speedo indicated 158 mph, that was not the maximum. At a genuine 155 mph, the speedo would actually indicate about 5% higher. It is also virtually unheard of for a production car's 155 mph limit to indicate that same max on the dial. Some cars will creep over the limited value by up to 8 miles.

I also stated the stretch of unrestricted Autobahn I was on was 16 miles long, I didn't state I maintained 158 mph the whole length. As unrestricted as that stretch may be, you would still encounter other vehicles that would require you either slow down, or take evasive action whilst maintaining your speed.

I choose to slow down.

I hope we're clear on things now?

Yo, Bro! Just thot that with a limiter, you cant zip past the set speed. I'm sure that 158mph and above must be so exhilarating, Thx for d info. Still passionately dreaming of owning an Audi in the near future. You inspire me!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by ritux: 2:40pm On Nov 09, 2011
anybody conversant with Benin-Warri express road? I covered that distance in 25mins driving at 175km/hr i.e from sapele road axis in Benin to Effurun round-about in Warri. I did that with a 2007 Prado
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by shabbie(m): 2:41pm On Nov 09, 2011
July - Renault Scenic. Diesel- 160MPH (257km/h)
somewhere on M40 Birmingham to Scotland

This morning VW Golf TDi - 120MPH (193km/h)
M40 btwn Bicester and Oxford
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by tunene: 2:44pm On Nov 09, 2011
ritux:

anybody conversant with Benin-Warri express road? I covered that distance in 25mins driving at 175km/hr i.e from sapele road axis in Benin to Effurun round-about in Warri.

That must have been long ago because at that speed now you can't make it bearing in mind that police are always on the road to disturb and accuss you, there are bumps everywhere, junctions here and there where people cross, goats etc. Sometimes there is even hold-up at Sapele junction. Well it may be it is possible early hours of saturday.

MONAGHAN:

I can see now that most of us nigerians think and behave the same way, can u imagine doing over 160km/hr on a country road full of pot holes ,and only God knows what you will appoach on a bend,do we ever think of ( SSD ) STOPPING SIGHT DISTANCE incase of emergency ,at that kind of speed you are no longger incharge of the vehicle .even for a standard motorway the maxium speed should not be over 120km/hr.
  so when you get accident on a high speed you will be blaming your step mother say she the one that jazz you with juju or blame your co worker say because he want to take your pose.
 well 2words for you SPEED KILLS
OR 1min silent.

This is falacy. You don't have enough data to generalise for Nigeria. Also most of this speed records are on good roads or good portions of the roads not the bad ones. If not for very effect traffic police in most of the other countries, people would be running at higher speeds.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Digriz(m): 2:53pm On Nov 09, 2011
Never u exceed 120km/hr in nigeria roads.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Jman3(m): 3:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
170kmph in a Honda Accord 1996 model on Ife-ibadan expressway. Despite the fact that i felt i was flying, an S-class overtook me as if i was reversing!!! shocked shocked shocked  I didn't find it funny. But seriously, it seems we have no idea the momentum a vehicle moves with at such speeds. Its frightening. The draft from a marcopollo luxurious bus can make you lose control. The 3rd mainland has turned to a drag strip late at night with guys going as fast as 220/240kmph. Such speeds aren't proper on public roads. It would be nice if we had private proving grounds for such feats. Though, if you give me an M5, i can't promise to be a good boy  grin
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by phuckNL: 3:07pm On Nov 09, 2011
To all of you bragging, ///,
There are people that have done higher speeds than all of you. [size=20pt]The only problem is that they are 5ft under [/size] and are unable to post on the internet anymore. There is no joy in speeding. How can you put your life and the life of others at risk. A car is a machine that can develop faults that you have no control over at high speeds. Half the time, you end up killing innocent people driving at safe speeds as well. Too many people have died from silly overspeeding issues. Y'all need to stop it. It is ridiculous
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2011
330kmh in my MCLAREN MP4 FORMULA ONE CAR
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
BETWEEN SAMINAKA AND JOS
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 3:24pm On Nov 09, 2011
I slowed down the day I knew I was going to be a father!!!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by eros(m): 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2011
I once did 170 km/hr on Lagos - Ibadan express road in my 2001 Acura TL. Got to Lagos in 45 minutes from Ibadan to Lagos. It was a crazy and insane experience but it was fun because i barely noticed i was driving very fast.

Speed kills, but controlled speed can be fun.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2011
shabbie:

July - Renault Scenic. Diesel- 160MPH (257km/h)
somewhere on M40 Birmingham to Scotland

May I suggest sir, that you get your speedo calibrated? Because it's over reading by a massive margin. I don't know what model you have, but I've picked the '03 - '09 model year, and selected the largest engine - the 2,0 dCi. This produces 147 bhp, and the maximum speed (figures from Renault) is 127 mph (manual) and 123 mph (auto).

160 mph is a massive top-end, bearing in mind the Renault Scenic is an MPV, and not the most aerodynamic of shapes.

Good effort though with the Volkswagen Golf TDi. Gotta love German engineering.  cool
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Skii(m): 3:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
While I was still in secondary school in ibadan in the late 90s early 2000s, my moms driver did 200km/h (He KILLED the speedometer) on lagos ibadan with this nissan bluebird, the one with the squarish lights, it was a sport type version cos even the body, engine where all heavy
the thing about the ride was that, that thing that happens in video games to the surroundings when u start clocking high speeds really happened men, that fizzle like effect of the trees the roads and other cars, i tell you, twas fun,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FRSC Writes Toyota Over High Rate Of Crashes / Branded Cars. What Are the Required Documents? / Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.