Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Atheists Debate Religionists * - Religion (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Debate Religionists * (8409 Views)

Einstein On Freewill; Atheists & Religionists Respond * / Can you prove that your God is the real God? - A challenge to all religionists / You Non-religionists, What reasons have You for Forfeiting Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 5:22pm On Mar 13
LordReed:

Is it the same article or a different one?

So you are going to ignore that the article YOU brought calls simulation hypothesis a conspiracy theory?

Dude I have designed simulations, nobody I know designs a simulation with the limits of the processor in mind. Rather simulations are designed with the limits of the required OUTPUTS in mind. Plus you can simulate unlimited speed on practically any modern processor, games do it all the time. This is not a valid reason at all.

See this one, "I have designed simulations"!
People who have been (since their early teens) at the vanguard of AI and simulation of worlds are telling you they can simulate this our world to the last degree with the people inside it given illusion of free will, and you are talking gibberish!

As for the article, Reed u sure u OK? You pointed out the article was published April fools day, so I showed you variations of same article published at other times.
And why are fixated on the jocular conspiracy theory comment. It is just a side comment to help make the article interesting
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 5:25pm On Mar 13
LordReed:

Dumdum special relativity has already accounted for that so it is up to you to show what property of the universe dictates that there should be no limit.

My friend, such things DON'T arbitrarily have limits in our universe for no reason. Or give an example
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by Aemmyjah(m): 5:25pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

PoliteActivist has not shown he understands natural selection, so I'd be silly to ask him to educate me on it.

I meant you should ask Darwin
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 5:34pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

"It may be said" does not mean it is so or even meant to be so.

I have just one question for you. Did Darwin give you the impression that he believes in the existence of a Selector?

What's with you folks and this selector stuff? Did I tell I believe there is a selector?? I only said there are lots of things Natural Selection can't explain.

Now you get it. "It may be said" is to used so you understand the statement is not literal
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by FxMasterz: 5:41pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

Meaning what? I've done everything, including posting the definition below. You keep mindlessly repeating that nature doesn't go about selecting (I'm tempted to add "like a slowpoke" cheesy). EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!!! That is, everybody except you and budaatum. Listen, the net EFFECT is SELECTION!!! If an environment favors survival of tall people, over time tallness will be SELECTED FOR!!!

By the way, you folks,
1) If humans were NOT DESIGNED to hate whats good for their health and longevity and love what's not, where did that come from?
2) Where did things like lions liking raw meat and never eating grass, and goats liking grass, come from? It's not as if these animals evolved on different planets!
3) Can't you folks see that evolution and natural selection are perfect examples of the Texas sharpshooter fallacy? (Look it up grin)
4) Can't you folks see that there is so much they can't explain? Things like consciousness, abiogenesis, why lower animals generally have shorter life spans than humans, why lower animals are not capable of abstract thought, complex organs like eyes, dna, etc, etc.
5) In short, can't you folks see that evolution (much like atheism) is a religion - you just believe it or you don't!

That's the perfect truth!
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 5:46pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

PoliteActivist has not shown he understands natural selection, so I'd be silly to ask him to educate me on it.

Say what part you still don't understand Dr. Reed², and I'll explain
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 5:49pm On Mar 13
FxMasterz:

That's the perfect truth!

More than that, they are movements, and you better not betray the movement by admitting the other side has a point, or that you no longer agree with some of the stuff
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by FxMasterz: 5:56pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

More than that, they are movements, and you better not betray the movement by admitting the other side has a point, or that you no longer agree with some of the stuff

I see.

That's the more the reason why they MUST lie against evidences or give flimsy excuses whenever they're presented with one. They would never accept they're wrong, no matter the evidence before them.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 6:06pm On Mar 13
FxMasterz:

I see.

That's the more the reason why they MUST lie against evidences or give flimsy excuses whenever they're presented with one. They would never accept they're wrong, no matter the evidence before them.

Exactly. Religionists are same way too, by the way, sometimes to an annoying degree, only that they don't claim to base everything on logic!
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 6:36pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

Say what part you still don't understand Dr. Reed², and I'll explain

What "selects" in natural selection?
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 6:44pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

Exactly. Religionists are same way too, by the way, sometimes to an annoying degree, only that they don't claim to base everything on logic!

You assume too much. Non-religionists do not base everything on logic or on any one thing!

Basing everything on one thing is like basing everything on one god, which is precisely the point the non-religionist is trying to make you understand they do not do.

I am a non-religionist, which I will define as there are no gods. I do not base everything on logic because I also base things on my knowledge and understanding of the experiences I have had which is extensive but not all that can be known, and on my ability to think and reason, which is why my learning continues to improve my abilities.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 7:02pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

You assume too much. Non-religionists do not base everything on logic or on any one thing!

Basing everything on one thing is like basing everything on one god, which is precisely the point the non-religionist is trying to make you understand they do not do. H6GmEbQHXRM

I am a non-religionist, which I will define as there are no gods. I do not base everything on logic because I also base things on my knowledge and understanding of the experiences I have had which is extensive but not all that can be known, and on my ability to think and reason, which is why my learning continues to improve my abilities.

Logic, in the context I used it, means everything outside belief due to subjective pessonal experience of the supernatural, instinct, or faith. All you have described come under that. When in fact Atheists and evolutionist also base their belief on faith.

How do you know there is no God - before you answer consider that you don't know anythimg
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 7:22pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

Logic, in the context I used it, means everything outside belief due to subjective pessonal experience of the supernatural, instinct, or faith. All you have described come under that. When in fact Atheists and evolutionist also base their belief on faith.

Logic, in the generally understood context, is the study of correct reasoning. But if you want words to mean what you say they mean, perhaps you'd be minded to include your meanings in your context to avoid being misunderstood.

PoliteActivist:
How do you know there is no God - before you answer consider that you don't know anythimg

First, your "anythimg", by which I will assume you mean anything.

Do note that I have put words together letter by letter and in an order for you to read and understand. That putting of words together requires the knowledge of a something which I would not be able to do if I did not know anything. Therefore, your consideration is emphatically denied. Also note that my denial applies to you to, because it is obvious you must know something.

Now, how do I know there are no gods?

Through the study of gods from all over the world basically. I read the books of and about many of the gods dead and alive, and came to the knowledge and understanding that all gods are created by human beings and peddled to people through indoctrination.

It's fascinating learning really. And it helps one understand better the world one lives in and the people who live in it and how capable we are at creating.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 8:04pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

Logic, in the generally understood context, is the study of correct reasoning. But if you want words to mean what you say they mean, perhaps you'd be minded to include your meanings in your context to avoid being misunderstood.

First, your "anythimg", by which I will assume you mean anything.

Do note that I have put words together letter by letter and in an order for you to read and understand. That putting of words together requires the knowledge of a something which I would not be able to do if I did not know anything. Therefore, your consideration is emphatically denied. Also note that my denial applies to you to, because it is obvious you must know something.

Now, how do I know there are no gods?

Through the study of gods from all over the world basically. I read the books of and about many of the gods dead and alive, and came to the knowledge and understanding that all gods are created by human beings and peddled to people through indoctrination.

It's fascinating learning really. And it helps one understand better the world one lives in and the people who live in it and how capable we are at creating.

Exactly what I said - you don't know anything. How are you sure you are the one putting the words together? You can easily be given the illusion you are the one putting words together. AI also puts words together, so do apps. Words can be put together through you or even despite you. Prophet Mohammed and many others have put words together they never put together. So we are back to that you don’t know anything because you don’t know the true nature of your reality or existence!

About gods, if the universe were shrunk to the size of the earth, the earth would be the size of an atom. We don't know what 95% of matter is. There could be up to a thousand dimensions - we can only perceive 4. Humans can see only 0.003% of light spectrum (google it).
Now imagin some life form living in an atom who doesn't know what 95% of stuff is, only sees one dimension not 4 like us, is practically blind, etc., saying there is no you!
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 8:25pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

Exactly what I said - you don't know anything. How are you sure you are the one putting the words together?

If you can't trust that I am the one putting the words I put together, who do you think you are talking to?

I am very certain that the words you are currently reading were written and out together by me and only me, regardless of what you wish to imagine, PoliteActivist.

See, PoliteActivist. I've even decided to write your name at the end there, twice.

PoliteActivist:
About gods, if the universe were shrunk to the size of the earth, the earth would be the size of an atom.

You are going to have to forgive me, but I do not live in an if universe that can be shrunk to any size. If I did, first thing I'd do is shrink it so I'd be taking one single step to be on a sunny beach, but as it is I can not even shrink the contents of my office desk so it's tidier.

I bother learning about the real world I live in instead of the imaginary world of if.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 8:41pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

If you can't trust that I am the one putting the words I put together, who do you think you are talking to?

I am very certain that the words you are currently reading were written and out together by me and only me, regardless of what you wish to imagine, PoliteActivist.

See, PoliteActivist. I've even decided to write your name at the end there, twice.

You are going to have to forgive me, but I do not live in an if universe that can be shrunk to any size. If I did, first thing I'd do is shrink it so I'd be taking one single step to be on a sunny beach, but as it is I can not even shrink the contents of my office desk so it's tidier.

I bother learning about the real world I live in instead of the imaginary world of if.

That's exactly the point - I could very well be talking to a figment of my imagination - assuming I exist at all and all these are not just happenings.

It's not just that your world cannot be seen even with a strong micriscope, it is also that you can only perceive 4 dimensions out of a lot more, don't know what 95% of stuff is, can only see 0.003% of light, don't know where your thoughts or dreams come from, not sure if you are dreaming, hallucinating, or living in an unreal simulation, etc.!

By the way, about those gods you said people created, how are sure it is not people (the collective mind) that create everything else, and if enough of them agree it exists, it exists!
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by 1Sharon(f): 8:48pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

Meaning what? I've done everything, including posting the definition below. You keep mindlessly repeating that nature doesn't go about selecting (I'm tempted to add "like a slowpoke" cheesy). EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!!! That is, everybody except you and budaatum. Listen, the net EFFECT is SELECTION!!! If an environment favors survival of tall people, over time tallness will be SELECTED FOR!!!

By the way, you folks,
1) If humans were NOT DESIGNED to hate whats good for their health and longevity and love what's not, where did that come from?
2) Where did things like lions liking raw meat and never eating grass, and goats liking grass, come from? It's not as if these animals evolved on different planets!
3) Can't you folks see that evolution and natural selection are perfect examples of the Texas sharpshooter fallacy? (Look it up grin)
4) Can't you folks see that there is so much they can't explain? Things like consciousness, abiogenesis, why lower animals generally have shorter life spans than humans, why lower animals are not capable of abstract thought, complex organs like eyes, dna, etc, etc.
5) In short, can't you folks see that evolution (much like atheism) is a religion - you just believe it or you don't!

Stop tagging other people here and fight your own battles. I'm sick of your mentions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 8:52pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

That's exactly the point - I could very well be talking to a figment of my imagination - assuming I exist at all and all these are not just happenings.

So. You reduce me and everything I say to be a figment of your imagination, if you exist at all?

Now, that must be one powerful imagination creating ability you got there, because the buda you are creating is right here in your front.

I don't think you don't exist or are a figment of my imagination, Polite. I have far more regard and respect for you than to think I am imagining you exist after you have exhibited before my senses by opening this thread.

Even if you are a bot, your responses are not my imagination, as you are here responding, though I think a bot might reason better than you're doing I dare say.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by Aemmyjah(m): 8:53pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

Basing everything on one thing is like basing everything on one god, which is precisely the point the non-religionist is trying to make you understand they do not do.

Your ability to reason leads you to conclude that life, the systems in nature with their laws and order could result from mindless chance?
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 8:56pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

I'm just bringing my question to your attention again since you haven't answered it and might be thinking it was your imagination that asked you it.

budaatum:

What "selects" in natural selection?
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 9:03pm On Mar 13
Aemmyjah:

Your ability to reason leads you to conclude that life, the systems in nature with their laws and order could result from mindless chance?

My ability to reason has not led me to conclude that life, the systems in nature with their laws and order could result from mindless chance.

I have never said any sort of mind created any natural laws or order, because there is no evidence of any such mind.

Thankfully, the search alone has taught us a vast lot more about our own minds, and how to create law and order amongst human selves and evolve, so Gods I praise. For without the Gods we'd still be naked of knowledge and more enslaved than we are and instead of insulting each other with words we'd be tearing at each other with our teeth.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by FxMasterz: 9:14pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

You're right.

That's why as a person, I try to be as objective as possible during religious debates. I do accept my shortcomings if I find out I was in error. There are times I have debated Muslims based on wrong interpretation of some of their quaranic verses. I have often apologized whenever they provide clarity. But, just as you said earlier, they (Muslims) would never accept or apologize for errors when they're given clarifications; or when it is clearly shown to them that they've been wrong all along. I admit that some Christians are like that too. Atheists are known to behave this way too. This confirms that Atheism and Evolution are religions of some sort.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by Aemmyjah(m): 9:18pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

My ability to reason has not led me to conclude that life, the systems in nature with their laws and order could result from mindless chance.

I have never said any sort of mind created any natural laws or order because there is no evidence of any such mind.

If you see a bamboo hut in a forest that people say no man has ever stepped in, your brain will conclude that that came by itself since you've not seen any evidence of the mind behind the hut?
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by HellVictorinho6(m): 9:32pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

By the way, you folks,

u are impressed so u call it a design

i call it nonsense
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by Aemmyjah(m): 9:40pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

By the way, you folks,

Young man
Lemme warn you
Stop causing chaos in the atheists caml

You're free to shake their table
You wan comot am?
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 10:02pm On Mar 13
Aemmyjah:

If you see a bamboo hut in a forest that people say no man has ever stepped in, your brain will conclude that that came by itself since you've not seen any evidence of the mind behind the hut?

No, Aemmyjah. If I see a bamboo hut in a forest that people say no man has ever stepped in, my brain will not "conclude that that came by itself since you've not seen any evidence of the mind behind the hut".

Apart from the fact that my brain does not conclude, it is not unusual for there to be a hut that no man has ever stepped in, though there'd be the question of how those who told me know.

My great grandmother was an Ifa priestess, and legend has it that her shrine was built by women, and men were forbidden from stepping inside or even near it, and I did not therefore conclude that it came by itself. But I guess that's because I have evidence of my great grandmother's mind that is behind her hut that no man has been inside.

We are not talking about things one has not seen, however. As I said, I also base things on my knowledge and understanding of the experiences I have had which is extensive but not all that can be known, instead of filling my lack of knowledge with imaginations. "Experience" above includes my experience of learning, like reading books and going to school and watching the world pass by and me searching for my sustenance and understanding things etc etc etc.

If I see a mountain, for instance, I or my brain do not conclude that it came by itself or that a creator created it there even if some people told me so. What we, my brain and I, would do is go get the experience that gives one the knowledge about the formation of mountains so one may have an idea of how the mountain one sees came to be there.

That doesn't therefore mean that I must now know how the mountain got there, mind. But it should give me sufficient knowledge to know the difference between reality and the imaginations of others.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 10:10pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

So. You reduce me and everything I say to be a figment of your imagination, if you exist at all?

Now, that must be one powerful imagination creating ability you got there, because the buda you are creating is right here in your front.

I don't think you don't exist or are a figment of my imagination, Polite. I have far more regard and respect for you than to think I am imagining you exist after you have exhibited before my senses by opening this thread.

Even if you are a bot, your responses are not my imagination, as you are here responding, though I think a bot might reason better than you're doing I dare say.

Point is, I'm so microscopically non-existent on a cosmic scale, and don't know what 95% is, and can perceive only 4 dimensions and see only 0.003% of light, and to top it all off I'm not even sure I exist - YET I AM 100% SURE GOD DOES NOT EXIST!!!
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 10:17pm On Mar 13
1Sharon:

Stop tagging other people here and fight your own battles. I'm sick of your mentions.

We girls ought stick together. Don't be a spoil sport. Here are some quotes to soothe you:

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by budaatum: 10:41pm On Mar 13
PoliteActivist:

Point is, I'm so microscopically non-existent on a cosmic scale, and don't know what 95% is, and can perceive only 4 dimensions and see only 0.003% of light, and to top it all off I'm not even sure I exist - YET I AM 100% SURE GOD DOES NOT EXIST!!!

As "microscopically non-existent on a cosmic scale" that you claim to be, you are still an individual person to me, and I must accord you with due regard and respect because that is how I have trained myself to be.

Do know that you would not be considering the existence of a God or anything at all if you did not exist, because you think and consider only because you exist.

If however you are willing to discover whether you exist or not, fill a bucket with water and stick your head that does not exist that is on your neck that does not exist inside the bucket of water that does exist. And after 10 minutes come tell me who or what exists that has responded to this post.
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 11:45pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

As "microscopically non-existent on a cosmic scale" that you claim to be, you are still an individual person to me, and I must accord you with due regard and respect because that is how I have trained myself to be.

Do know that you would not be considering the existence of a God or anything at all if you did not exist, because you think and consider only because you exist.

If however you are willing to discover whether you exist or not, fill a bucket with water and stick your head that does not exist that is on your neck that does not exist inside the bucket of water that does exist. And after 10 minutes come tell me who or what exists that has responded to this post.

I've told you before, dead people and people you meet in your dreams also think and consider. We simply don't know the nature of thinking, just as we don't know the nature of anything.
One thing that is absolutely not in doubt though, is that you have NO WAY of being sure all this is not happening entirely in your head. See all these below, they are all quite credible scenarios. But the real question is, how do you leap from not being sure of anything AT ALL to being sure God does not exist!

Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 11:56pm On Mar 13
budaatum:

I'm just bringing my question to your attention again since you haven't answered it and might be thinking it was your imagination that asked you it.

Survival selects.
Does that answer your question?
Re: Atheists Debate Religionists * by PoliteActivist: 11:59pm On Mar 13
HellVictorinho6:

u are impressed so u call it a design

i call it nonsense

Can you at least give us a short reason why?

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (36) (Reply)

Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind / Ogboni, Odinala, Freemanson And Amorc Fraternities - The Absolute Facts / Did Hiv Test,came Out To Be +. Wat Should I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.