Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,371 members, 7,829,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge - Family (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge (79634 Views)

Best Gifts For Your Family Under $150 / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Radiant(f): 3:55am On Nov 18, 2011
tpia@:

@ radiant

^Not sure what you're getting agitated about.

So far, there's a an indication the man may have a drug addiction problem.

His insistence on receiving cash, his seeming indifference to the fact that his family is living under a bridge and his wife is expecting another baby soon, his avoiding the accommodation offered him- these are all pointers to the fact that substance abuse may be involved. In addition, his parents are there in lagos (he said) and the wife's family might also have their own side to tell.
Like i said, its a possibility which cant be ruled out.

If he's been doing odd jobs in the two years they seem to have been under the bridge, then the bulk of his income might have been used on a drug habit.

What is certain is this family needs help not just in the form of cash alone.
Some people might know what i'm talking about.

Agitated? Not sure why you have that impression. Are you telling me that you're not a bit confused about the whole situation. If you're not then please can you tell us what to do? Thanks. I don't pick money off the ground so I'm rather careful.
And yea I know they need more than just the cash. I said it before.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by OAM4J: 3:56am On Nov 18, 2011
yamakuza:

what do u propose we do, in the interim ?

was about to ask for her opinion on what next as well.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Radiant(f): 4:01am On Nov 18, 2011
yamakuza:

what do u propose  we do, in the interim ?

Welcome aboard. Now you understand my stance.

If the guy is an addict then we should send him to rehab and while he's there let his family move into a safe environment and set up a business for the wife. That is if the man is mentally unstable.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by OAM4J: 4:13am On Nov 18, 2011
Radiant:

If the guy is an addict then we should send him to rehab and while he's there let his family move into a safe environment and set up a business for the wife. That is if the man is mentally unstable.

I support your view.

I wish this is as easy as raising money for him. A phone call would have fixed that somewhere else but not in Nigeria. But also not impossible if there is any of us that has the time and the right connection with the authority to pick him up  for examination, counselling/treatment and  offered his wife and kid the contributed assistance.

But the big question is; where can we get the man with the time and the right connection with the authority?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yamakuza: 4:15am On Nov 18, 2011
Radiant:

lolz.

Doesnt work that way in Nigeria.

That is waaaaay out of our league, as Nairalanders.

Over to Fashola.

Meanwhile, we were thinking we could have your 2cents on the other thread?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Radiant(f): 4:26am On Nov 18, 2011
yamakuza:

lolz.

Doesnt work that way in Nigeria.

That is waaaaay out of our league, as Nairalanders.

Over to Fashola.

Meanwhile, we were thinking we could have your 2cents on the other thread?

Seriously, I don't think this man is sick upstairs. He just needs some 'talking to' so he can understand the extent to which people are willing to help him and his family. It's not a rush rush situation though someone else wouldn't have blinked before accepting the offers. People are different indeed.

Can 2/3 NLders go and visit them again and get the real gist of the current situation. I'm sure we can resolve this in no time if we have people to go for us.

Which thread?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by OAM4J: 4:30am On Nov 18, 2011
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yamakuza: 4:35am On Nov 18, 2011
Radiant:

Seriously, I don't think this man is sick upstairs. He just needs some 'talking to' so he can understand the extent to which people are willing to help him and his family. It's not a rush rush situation though someone else wouldn't have blinked before accepting the offers. People are different indeed.

Can 2/3 NLders go and visit them again and get the real gist of the current situation. I'm sure we can resolve this in no time if we have people to go for us.

Which thread?

i'm sure Linda Ikeji or PM NEWS will visit him and talk some sense into him.

Like someone pointed out, it might not be safe to visit him 'anyhow', so that hunter does not become bushmeat.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Johndoe100(m): 5:18am On Nov 18, 2011
This is totally unbelieveable, people are looking for how to kidnap this guy and steal his familly cos he dared to want something different and did not allow you people to play god?
If you people go ahead with this I will personally have the people involved arrested. I rarely get this involved in things but this is madness. If anyone thinks this is an idle threat, let the people who go do this make themsekves known and see what happens. I may just send someone to see this guy Oboh and clue him up on what you creeps are planning. God you guys are the limit.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Cuddlemii: 5:20am On Nov 18, 2011
Fhemmmy:

With so much respect, I am sorry to say that we are all saying same thing here . . .  Now his poverty has made him insane or acting it, and this means that the man is not capable of making decision for himself and his family, thus the reason why something has to be done.

Why would he be given 100K Naira and still be under the bridge, i think that will be a great danger to him and his family . . . . cos you will agree with me that any amount he is given, people will know and the bad guys could visit him anytime to take the money from him and be killed.

So best thing to do is, if he does not want help, there are so much other people that would gladly accept all the help.

Ok! Point noted!

So whats the way forward, what has happened has happened, we need to move to the next course of action. What has Nairaland, R231 and the rest decided is best to do in these circumstances. We have established the fact that the man under the bridge took wrong steps or decisions but what are we (learned peeps) going to do to ensure he takes the right steps, enough of the past. Lets move ahead and get a solution.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Cuddlemii: 5:28am On Nov 18, 2011
Johndoe100:

This is totally unbelieveable, people are looking for how to kidnap this guy and steal his familly cos he dared to want something different and did not allow you people to play god?
If you people go ahead with this I will personally have the people involved arrested. I rarely get this involved in things but this is madness. If anyone thinks this is an idle threat, let the people who go do this make themsekves known and see what happens. I may just send someone to see this guy Oboh and clue him up on what you creeps are planning. God you guys are the limit.

Which one are you referring to again? Who wants to kidnap who? I am even lost on this thread, guess I have to go back and read every post.

@all
But if I may ask, why is it that everything on Nairaland must be turned into a joke or an avenue to flex muscles, is it that some people were bullied as kids or what? That you need to show your fighting prowess at this grown stage even on a delicate situation like this. Please lets take this seriously for once. If you know you are too emotional or gets easily offended by things, its best you keep your opinions to yourself because its an humanitarian topic and nothing more or less.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yamakuza: 5:32am On Nov 18, 2011
Cuddlemii:

Ok! Point noted!

So whats the way forward, what has happened has happened, we need to move to the next course of action. What has Nairaland, R231 and the rest decided is best to do in these circumstances. We have established the fact that the man under the bridge took wrong steps or decisions but what are we (learned peeps) going to do to ensure he takes the right steps, enough of the past. Lets move ahead and get a solution.

what say you we give him time to cool down?

We'll keep our ears and eyes open, and once his stance changes, we take it from there?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 18, 2011
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by honeric01(m): 7:14am On Nov 18, 2011
While you people are at a cross-road, think about these points

1: Maybe some people already promised him some amount of money and him seeing different people coming with money offers make him feel or think they are likely from these set of persons?

2: Maybe he's actually with a plan of his own, saving for it or trying to save for it but he's 100% confused now that different offers are flying in and no one is prepared to ask or know what plans he has for his life and family?

3: Maybe he's afraid of going back to his vomit after the limelight dies down?

4: Maybe people going to meet him are not even asking for his opinion before taking decisions on his family's behalf?

5: Maybe he's insane or has some mental issues that he's fighting?

6: Maybe he can't live around isolated areas like (ota and outskirt of ayobo) because of falling off the face of the earth?

Maybe, maybe,? please make una ask these questions, he sure needs 5 people's help right now.

1: A counselor
2: A Psychologist
3: A motivator
4: An economist
5: A trusted and open minded friend.

I know i don't have torokobo to give right now but who knows what's likely to happen tomorrow?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 18, 2011
FTmom you took the words out of my mouth. Charity does indeed begin at home and I have heaps of people in my extended family and around me who could do with anything right now.

I dont know mr obuh's motive and so I am not blaming him, because I dont have the full picture, however it does seem that a number of people have taken up his case and he will be taken care of.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 18, 2011
Still, I wouldn't accept media report until we visit him on Sunday. I could remember the CharlesB 2Bedroom flat update someone posted some days back, whatever happened to it? Did the man also reject the offer? How reliable are these updates?

The only offer this man has received as reported by Ifyalways is a room apartment, outskirt of Ayobo!

IMO- Maybe we should be slow to act, this man might still need all of our help. It's too soon to give up on this family.  smiley
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ifyalways(f): 7:47am On Nov 18, 2011
I would try and reach Monday Obuh again today.This time for a long chat and peep into his future(what he wants to do etc)If the enviroment is safe,I might get it on video or audio.

Would report back here later today.

@Johndoe,abeg oh.don't send your soldiers after me.lolz
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 18, 2011
ifyalways:

I would try and reach Monday Obuh again today.This time for a long chat and peep into his future(what he wants to do etc)If the enviroment is safe,I might get it on video or audio.

Good One. May God bless your efforts. . .
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by honeric01(m): 8:38am On Nov 18, 2011
ifyalways:

I would try and reach Monday Obuh again today.[size=18pt]This time for a long chat and peep into his future(what he wants to do etc)[/size]If the enviroment is safe,I might get it on video or audio.

The Bolded is very important, thanks ma'am.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Odunnu: 8:43am On Nov 18, 2011
ftmom:

With all due respect to everyone that is wanting to contribute to this gentleman’s fundraising, I will give my two cents.

The saying goes “Charity begins at home.” A Christian Yoruba song says (I paraphrase) anyone you have the power/strength to help, help them. It does not have to be under a big umbrella to rehabilitate this particular person though I appreciate how a lump sum could change the family’s life.

I would guess that at least 98% of the people willing to contribute know someone in their lives (family, friend, gateman, washer man, housekeeper, nanny driver, office messenger, car washer, etc, etc) who would greatly appreciate a cash gift from them. There is a lot of poverty in the nation and people are hurting even if they are not living under the bridge.

The alleged attitude exhibited by Monday is really not a surprise to some of us because that is classic Naija of today. In the old days, you could look upon the less privileged with compassion and they would be appreciative of your token. Today, in a lot of cases,  you, the compassionate, are regarded as a “mugu.” In fact, the receiver may perfect a plan to tap as much money from you as he can until you finally say no. That is the reality of the system we have in the country and I speak from first hand experience. Not blaming Monday, just the system.

Rich or poor, no real difference in morals – one is as bad as the other. Each has a high sense of entitlement and will milk any opportunity. I haven’t travelled the whole world but it is only in Naija I have seen this extreme entitlement trait. It’s like an aberrant gene in the populace.

Insane or not, I find it strange that Monday knows the exact figure of N100k that he wants. People!!! that sum is not small money in Naija! To the average Nigerian, that is still a whole lot of money. It’s beginning to seem Monday thinks he has “hit it big” with all the offers of help and might be looking to take undue advantage.

My post is not intended to discourage anyone from giving but “shine your eyes” and remember that you can put a smile on another person’s face with your token.

Have we met before? You sound so familiar! Did you eavesdrop on our discussion last night?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by jaybee3(m): 10:27am On Nov 18, 2011
Could it be that Mr Obuh is stylishly stalling on the idea of immediate relocation to a better place so he can maximise the opportunity that his current status provides.
Something keeps telling me this man doesn't wanna move just yet so all the good meaning Nigerians waiting to rise up to his problems will be able to locate and in turn donate money to him.
After all, if he moves to ayobo or whatever how does he continue to get the much needed help that he obviously needs.
He is probably being misguided hence the reason why he can't fathom his priority at the moment.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 18, 2011
jay bee:

Could it be that Mr Obuh is stylishly stalling on the idea of immediate relocation to a better place so he can maximise the opportunity that his current status provides.
Something keeps telling me this man doesn't wanna move just yet so all the good meaning Nigerians waiting to rise up to his problems will be able to locate and in turn donate money to him.
After all, if he moves to ayobo or whatever how does he continue to get the much needed help that he obviously needs.
He is probably being misguided hence the reason why he can't fathom his priority at the moment.

If that's truly the case, then he doesn't want help . He just wants to get paid, hmmm the thing tire me sef I think the sensible option now is to wait for Ify's update.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by 9ijaMan: 11:25am On Nov 18, 2011
I'll advice we all calm down until ifyalways comes back with reports about her intended meeting with the guy.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yogun(f): 12:16pm On Nov 18, 2011
A̶̲̥̅̊ṁ̭̥̈̅̄ still struggling to read up all the post but the network has been messing up so badly.

I think d woman's health is more important than all the drama the husband is putting up. She needs to think ahead of the husband, to avoid any unforeseen danger to the unborn baby & herself.

This is where the authority shld come in. What's the Welfare agencies doing abt this issue
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by r231(m): 1:27pm On Nov 18, 2011
Johndoe100:

make sure you do that slowpoke undecided
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Radiant(f): 1:43pm On Nov 18, 2011
ifyalways:

Way to go babe. Many thanks! Waiting. . smiley
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 18, 2011
Thanks Ifyalways smiley
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by queenafric(f): 2:31pm On Nov 18, 2011
Just seeing this thread now though i havent read d whole responses so far. I would av volunteered to go check out d family on behalf of nairaland but since ifyalways is up for it, then i 'll just step back. Meanwhile, if ifyalways need someone to go wit her, she should pls let me know soonest. Thanks
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by OAM4J: 2:33pm On Nov 18, 2011
ifyalways:

Thanks. God bless you.

r231:

make sure you do that slowpoke undecided

Some people/posts are better ignored.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ronkebp(f): 3:12pm On Nov 18, 2011
Johndoe, stay off the ''charity thread'' since you do not have anything positive to add.

I think guys, we should channel our energy and support to other families that need it, Mr Obuh, is not the only one that needs help, moreso, so many people are already trying to help him, lets reach out to another family, who is willing to accept whatever we have to offer.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Odunnu: 3:39pm On Nov 18, 2011
ronkebp:

Johndoe, stay off the ''charity thread'' since you do not have anything positive to add.

I think guys, we should channel our energy and support to other families that need it, Mr Obuh, is not the only one that needs help, moreso, so many people are already trying to help him, lets reach out to another family, who is willing to accept whatever we have to offer.
same thing i've sang in songs, written in English, hausa and latin. Must I speak in tongues before we leave Mr Obuh alone?
. . .and like Mr OAM said, learn to ignore certain posts. Its a virtue you must cultivate to survive insane online folks.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Johndoe100(m): 5:55pm On Nov 18, 2011
@OAM4J
Please have the husband committed (he is obviously mad) then steal relocate his family to another location I mean with him out of the way the woman can be forced will see sense after all the end justifies the means no?. ifya fim obori ini funo sigima.

ronkebp:

There is currently no rule that gives people with low iq the right to tell others where they can post. However you can talk to OAM4J he will help you find a way round the rules.

This is not a charity thread. the title is " Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge ". If you all were not morally bankrupt you would give what you have collected to the manor use it for the man , then go open another charity thread and find a dog you can adopt. It is obvious you lot can't cope with humans who have brains, wants and desires of there own.

Just to know if they are taking donations from members for the man and I decide to donate will you and the other lame people refuse it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (45) (Reply)

My Mother Is Seeing Other Men / I Finally Took My Children For DNA Test / Why Do Husbands Get Bored Of Their Wives Soon After Wedding?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.