Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,755 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy (29751 Views)

US Based Nurse Gifts Her Husband Who Brought Her To America A New Mercedes Benz / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / I'm Getting Married But I'm Not Happy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by PoliteActivist: 12:18pm On Mar 07
Timoleon:

They said 18 years wrongly. The body of the article says the person left in 2008. To the matter of 'his poor friend' nowhere was it said that his friend was poor. Like it was said in the OP and I have reiterated, the Nigerian based friend didn't ask him for money. The abroad based person messaged by himself to say send you account number. If he was struggling abroad, he should have simply maintained status quo. No harm in that. If I am struggling, my priority will be receiving not giving randomly even to people that didn't ask me for anything.

Anyway I can see right away it is a made-up story - don't know why people can't see that. Nobody would message you after 16 years and tell you to send your account number without any "find something for boys". And how did he get his number?

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Originalsly: 12:20pm On Mar 07
Timoleon:

You dey chop 'meat pie', I no beg you for food,I no beg you for money, you pinch 'meatpie' gimme say make I chop. Wetin be that?

grin cheesy I hear you! .... so what if you were starving? .... is it you would accept and eat? ... eat with vexation? And we wonder why some people bite their tongue!
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 12:24pm On Mar 07
Originalsly:

grin cheesy I hear you! .... so what if you were starving? .... is it you would accept and eat? ... eat with vexation? And we wonder why some people bite their tongue!
if I was starving, I would ask and receive with gratitude. In this case, the receiver didn't ask.

2 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 12:27pm On Mar 07
DrOBD:
Its just unfortunate that some people reason like this.
Do you know what people pass through abroad. The fact that he reconnected with hisnfriwnd is enough. If he sent him 20k, thats just an extra for him to do something no matter how small ut may be.
If the guy sent 20k now, he may be able to send 100k at another time, he may also be able to help him in other ways.

By the way,friendship should not be parasitic. This guy in Naija can also send his abroad friend a gift. It does not matter who is abroad or who is in naija.

If he's passing through a lot abroad, his priorities should be fixing his life. 16 years din go, he should focus on his life not giving out money he doesn't have to people that didn't ask

3 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 12:27pm On Mar 07
PotatoSalad:

It's not even you. It's "friends" around you I pity. You carry that warped mentality still get time to justify am. Someone like you have the tendency to kill out of envy and jealousy.
If you never hear am before, hear the raw undiluted truth. You dey disguise your entitlement mentality with foolish logic.
People around you go think say you wise and are slowly feeding into your foolish ideology.

K
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by PotatoSalad(m): 12:29pm On Mar 07
MallamChukwudi:
1. Only givers retains the exclusive privilege to determine how much he can give or to what extent he can help.

2. Receivers retains the right to not accept a gift for whatever reasons (eg too small and considered humiliating). Once you accept a gift, the least you can do is appreciation

3. Due to the differences of what different people consider as “good enough”, the best solution is for the giver to give what he is capable of, and the receiver to appreciate it at the very least.

4. It is more blessed to give, not receive. A receiver is not in a position of negotiation. You bring nothing to the table. Strength and strength negotiates, not strength (giving) and weakness (receiving).

5. For the above reason, Jesus appreciated the gift from the widow because even though it was really small, it’s was all she has. She gave from her heart.

It would be a tragedy to rebuke her because you consider her gift too small for you. No matter how small she offered, she is operating from a position of strength.

6. What qualifies you as a big person is not your ability to receive, but your ability to give. You’re superior to your dog because you feed, house and take care of it.

If your dog considers itself bigger than you, then switch roles.

7. Being ungrateful , prideful and unappreciative is not a virtue. These are features of a low quality human. You might think having an iPhone and going to Paris for breakfast makes you high quality, but no, it doesn’t.

The hallmark of a high quality person is their character. Most of global icons are not admired for their wealth, but for their character.

I come in peace

Cc
Timoleon
Timoleon
Timoleon
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Panda7(m): 12:31pm On Mar 07
it's an insult if he cannot pay up to $2,000. How did #2,000 naira became an urgent fee in nigeria but people are still making it. Tell his friend to hustle up, time waits for no one
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 12:31pm On Mar 07
PoliteActivist:

Anyway I can see right away it is a made-up story - don't know why people can't see that. Nobody would message you after 16 years and tell you to send your account number without any "find something for boys". And how did he get his number?

In the contrary though, it happens severally. Recently it made front page how a stranger gifted another person 80k money for bag of rice. The receiver didn't beg, the receiver wasnt poor. Yet the giver gave out by simply saying send your account number. I'm sure you saw the story.

It happens
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by firearcher: 12:32pm On Mar 07
akube34:
I no understand, make him give am 100k?

Abi o. See entitlement
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 12:34pm On Mar 07
PotatoSalad:

Cc
Timoleon
Timoleon
Timoleon

Baba even for the entire write up, it was clear Jesus was starving, na him go beg the woman for food. Beggars cannot be choosers.

The scenario is different.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by xtian110: 12:37pm On Mar 07
Chai this life. convert 12 dollars in naira it will give you. 19,146.00 . Let me come and be going 🚶
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Anashe: 12:38pm On Mar 07
vickydevoka:

Widows n their husbands wealth is different. He must have written a will .Or if he has a big company the brother will definitely take over while de kids a still growing. But his houses should be for his kids. Unless where he has to many houses, u can give his brothers some.

How many "customs" in Nigeria recognize a will? His wife can't oversee his company after his demise? The same country where widows are chased out with kids after a man's death for some jackals disguising as relatives take over everything. There's no difference - it's simple coveting and greed with a mix of wickedness.

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Bakrabas: 12:48pm On Mar 07
12 Dollar that I'll get within 5days doing my online work
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by olaeffect(m): 1:02pm On Mar 07
Timoleon:
Lol...this is worse than insult. It's better to not send anything than ring someone up after 16 years in the abroad just to send 12$.

Some people will say it's 'entitlement mentality'. But if I see you for road, you dey mind your business I come hala say I know say life hard, take 50 naira go find biscuit chop, before you die for our neck. You go reason better blow for mouth. After all, you no beg me for food or for money. Despite the fact that I just gave you my 'hard earned' money, you'd know in your heart of hearts that I just undermined you.

For 16years, bro has been managing to survive, How would you message him out of the blues to send him 12$. One carton of indomie.

Many people will not understand you point.
That was how we had an office end of year party few years ago. And one of our former coworkers that was abroad said he was going to contribute. Remember we did not beg or solicit for funds from him ooo.
Only for guyman to send $10.00 (which was around N5k then)
We felt insulted, because even his mates that were still in the country contributed 4 times that amount.
True true at all at all na im bad, therefore you need to give some certain sum of money with explanation i.e manage this N20k ($12.00) for now, I will see what I can do when I have funds.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by PropertyBuying(f): 1:04pm On Mar 07
It's a gift though.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Shikena(m): 1:13pm On Mar 07
Our people could be stupid sometimes.

I have a friend that just secretly shared 25k each to 40 of his friends & ex-classmates struggling in Nigeria. This guy get large extended family in Nigeria o.

I heard a few of them were complaining that it was too small.

Is he your elected state governor or politician looting your commonwealth? He made space from some of his own bills, family, home repairs, vacation savings etc to help and you are complaining?

Buy ticket, go hustle and do it your own way mumu cheesy

3 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by pswglobal(m): 1:16pm On Mar 07
U ve to appreciate it and even pray for him because u don't know d number of people he is supporting. If someone sent u 20k for d very first time wat makes u to believe or conclude he won't do better next time. No matter how small a gift is, it's called a gift because he is not owing u any money in anyway.

3 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by achimendy(m): 1:31pm On Mar 07
Jewessgratitud3:

If na you what will you do?

Appreciation Is key. The man in US is not owing him a dime, so when You see free 20k respond with gratitude.

Africans with entitlement Mentality will always be ungrateful.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by achimendy(m): 1:34pm On Mar 07
pswglobal:
U ve to appreciate it and even pray for him because u don't know d number of people he is supporting. If someone sent u 20k for d very first time wat makes u to believe or conclude he won't do better next time. No matter how small a gift is, it's called a gift because he is not owing u any money in anyway.

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by PotatoSalad(m): 1:40pm On Mar 07
Timoleon:

Baba even for the entire write up, it was clear Jesus was starving, na him go beg the woman for food. Beggars cannot be choosers.

The scenario is different.
Hold on make i wash my eyes first
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Shikena(m): 1:43pm On Mar 07
That's why many have found joy in anonymous charity in Nigeria.

Davido recently published a list of orphanages in Nigeria that are beneficiaries of his foundation. Many people abroad individually & in groups are picking one or two for monthly donations.

Even just N10k they send you appreciations and keep praying for you. The thought of remembering them alone makes makes them happy.

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by ericmor: 1:51pm On Mar 07
As long as you were not the one that helped him when processing his traveling and you never contributed to his success, you have no right to complain about the 10k plus he sent because is naira he gave u na the person just dey reason am for dollar.

Just accept it in peace and move on and u also have the right to reject it and tell him thank you

2 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Anijay1212(m): 2:03pm On Mar 07
pussyeater:

Ogun keee your neighbor. Na people like your neighbor dey stingy pass, werey. You know how many other people he send N20k to, within the same period. He fit be say na 20 people he send N20k each to, which fit equals N400k, but your werey neighbor is an ingrate. Thunder fire your neighbor, tell am say na me talk am. Also tell am make I no catch am for street
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by omogeloye: 2:23pm On Mar 07
Lol. I sent 5k to my younger sister since 5 days now she never acknowledged the receipt of the money. After she has been harassing me account number and text messages

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Jewessgratitud3: 2:32pm On Mar 07
Originalsly:

After 16 years .... how much was he supposed to give? The fact that he is looking at the amount .... and attaching it to the years is clearly entitlement mentality. In his mind ... he expected to receive x amount as the minimum and it was not .... not what he was entitled to receive.
I've heard that a long time ago .... a mutual friend complained to me that another friend returned after 4 years and gave him only $40. It was then my eyes cleared and I made sure I wouldn't make such a mistake and insult anyone. If I gift someone $20 .... and learn that the person wasn't pleased ... I need that money back ... and will get it back one way or the other. Rapid devaluation is devastating... and most don't really understand immediately that it will turn their life upside down . It is now more than ever... that people need financial help from abroad ... but entitlement mentality will prevent many from sending to friends and relatives. If more people were grateful.... a whole lot more would've been receiving. The average Nigerian abroad can afford to send $100 per month ... no sweat. He knows so many that are suffering and wants to send $20 each to 5 persons. But then this is likely to be an insult.... as we can see in the topic ... and many comments. So what he does....send to no one... or just one person.

Calm down na ahn ahn undecided
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by IDERAWOLE(m): 2:35pm On Mar 07
Jewessgratitud3:
A neighbor of mine called me on Saturday and was complaining bitterly about his Bossom friend.

He told me his friend travelled to the US in 2008 and after a few calls they lost contacts. Last week his friend messaged him and said he's aware of the hardship in naija and asked him to send his account details. My neighbor did and after a while he received an alert of 20k. I said wow!.. that's a miracle. but he hushed me and said I should let him finish.

He said immediately he did the conversion it came to 12.8 dollars. He now said after 16 years it 12 Dollar the friend could send to him that that's an insult.
I tried to make him understand the friend may not be doing well over there but he said the guy is doing well that he's weighing the naira value of the money and feels 20k is big money. He said he feels insulted. Me I just carry my two long legs Waka leave my ungrateful neighbor.

Is my neighbor right and did his friend do wrong by sending that kind of amount? 12 Dollars...

To me the friend did not do any wrong but my neighbor feels he could do better.that 12 Dollar is like 1,200 hundred naira to them over there.

Guys what will you do if you were my neighbor?

Your neighbor is right.

However, hunger will teach him plenty lessons very soon.

How many people has he given 5k to in Nigeria here?

Interestingly, apart from the fact that the guy in America knows that 20k is a chicken change in Nigeria now, I can bet it that he just wanted to test the seriousness of his friend in Nigeria.

I can also tell you for free that anybody that is a giver will always appreciate any amount of gift he/she receives.

Your neighbor failed, the guy in America knew his attitude already because I'm so sure he never said thank you to the guy, all he was busy doing was punching calculator to know the amount in dollars.

Na you send the guy to America?

Your neighbor failed the test and he's not getting shishi from the guy again.

It is this spirit that has spoilt Nigeria; entitlement mentality.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by fuck419: 2:53pm On Mar 07
He actually gave $0.67 for each year.

So, $0.67*18yrs = $12.

Therefore, he needs to stay additional 150years in order to gift his friend another $100.

This one shock Tinubu.

2 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by LordFA: 2:58pm On Mar 07
Who go kon give me $12 bayi
And I no wan look entitled fa

2 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by kitken: 3:28pm On Mar 07
It's always good to appreciate someone. Some gift can come like a test.
If he didn't appreciate the person who give him. He might not get another next time.
Moreover u can't take him to court if he decides not to send 12$.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by sunboy(m): 3:35pm On Mar 07
People in the abroad are also going through the economic turmoil too and raising cost of living.

Your neighbor is just an entitled MF! He should have sent it back to him if he no want am. That guy could have send that 20k to another 20 other people. He’s not going to expend all his money to just one person.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by YorubaKing: 3:43pm On Mar 07
You wonder why Nigerians in the diaspora avoid Nigerians back home.

Very ungrateful set of pple! angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by akube34: 3:46pm On Mar 07
Timoleon:

Him no need give am anything. After all, for 16 years, e no give, nobody die. If he felt it was time to do something, he shoulda have done something tangible, if he wasn't in a comfortable space to do something tangible he should have simply maintained status quo.
I really don’t understand. Explain this something tangible. Like how much na, 100k?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Will You Forgive Your Girlfriend If She Sleeps With Someone Else? / Things A Man Should Do For His Wife All The Time (Part 1) / What Happens To Orphanage Kids That Weren't Adopted and grew to adulthood?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.