Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,334 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy (29673 Views)

US Based Nurse Gifts Her Husband Who Brought Her To America A New Mercedes Benz / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / I'm Getting Married But I'm Not Happy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Shikena(m): 3:56pm On Mar 07
... and this comment got 17 LIKES. Nigerians!!! grin grin

He gave the guy 20k Nigerian money, is the guy living in America? Is N20k intangible in Nigeria, and even if so, why not dash it to a struggling neighbor or student nearby? Afterall, it's just a gift! Otherwise, why not just return the money and move on.

Ironically, if you dash people even $1 in America they still say thank you even if they don't need the money. They just dash it out to someone too.

Timoleon:

Him no need give am anything. After all, for 16 years, e no give, nobody die. If he felt it was time to do something, he shoulda have done something tangible, if he wasn't in a comfortable space to do something tangible he should have simply maintained status quo.

3 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by richie240: 4:02pm On Mar 07
You're not getting d point.
This ninja over here didn't ask him for money. Na that wan over there wan show 'bigman levels'

If he had begged him for money then we can call him an ingrate, but he didn't.

I was just thinking about this same kind of insult my sister in america use to give me. Her own nor dey pass 10k. She sent 20k I think about one or twice, but na 10k be her own default money.

Just last week I was just thinking of the kind of message I'll send her without appearing to be an 'ingrate' when next she send me such insult.
Again, just like the guy in this story, I didn't ask her for shi-shi.
cool
sholikay:
Gratitude is key to anything....if such person shows me such ungrateful attitude,I will not give them anything again...

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Shikena(m): 4:07pm On Mar 07
This is another problem with our mindset.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that this is about "bigman" levels? Could it just be a regular guy hearing all the noise online about hunger in Nigeria due to change of subsidy policies and deciding to contribute his own quota within his limit knowing that those who don't need it can always use it to help others? Are you sure his 20k was not spread out among several people on his small personal network? Is there a rule that giving has to be triggered by begging?

richie240:
You're not getting d point.
This ninja over here didn't ask him for money. Na that wan over there wan show 'bigman levels'

If he had begged him for money then we can call him an ingrate, but he didn't.

I was just thinking about this same kind of insult my sister in america use to give me. Her own nor dey pass 10k. She sent 20k I think about one or twice, but na 10k be her own default money.

Just last week I was just thinking of the kind of message I'll send her without appearing to be an 'ingrate' when next she send me such insult.
Again, just like the guy in this story, I didn't ask her for shi-shi.
cool

4 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 4:10pm On Mar 07
Shikena:
... and this comment got 17 LIKES. Nigerians!!! grin grin

He gave the guy 20k Nigerian money, is the guy living in America? Is N20k intangible in Nigeria, and even if so, why not dash it to a struggling neighbor or student nearby? Afterall, it's just a gift! Otherwise, why not just return the money and move on.

Ironically, if you dash people even $1 in America they still say thank you even if they don't need the money. They just dash it out to someone too.

K
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Eneyeme6453: 4:11pm On Mar 07
Jewessgratitud3:
A neighbor of mine called me on Saturday and was complaining bitterly about his Bossom friend.

He told me his friend travelled to the US in 2008 and after a few calls they lost contacts. Last week his friend messaged him and said he's aware of the hardship in naija and asked him to send his account details. My neighbor did and after a while he received an alert of 20k. I said wow!.. that's a miracle. but he hushed me and said I should let him finish.

He said immediately he did the conversion it came to 12.8 dollars. He now said after 16 years it 12 Dollar the friend could send to him that that's an insult.
I tried to make him understand the friend may not be doing well over there but he said the guy is doing well that he's weighing the naira value of the money and feels 20k is big money. He said he feels insulted. Me I just carry my two long legs Waka leave my ungrateful neighbor.

Is my neighbor right and did his friend do wrong by sending that kind of amount? 12 Dollars...

To me the friend did not do any wrong but my neighbor feels he could do better.that 12 Dollar is like 1,200 hundred naira to them over there.

Guys what will you do if you were my neighbor?
na you e happen to nothing like your neighbor 🤣 you want just get people opinion (no complain since na dash but the U.S guy no try sha)
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 4:13pm On Mar 07
akube34:
I really don’t understand. Explain this something tangible. Like how much na, 100k?
tangible to me fit no be tangible to you. 10$, 15$ might be tangible to you, it's not to me. Rest
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by richie240: 4:15pm On Mar 07
My bloda, what is worth doing is worth doing well

Again, the key word here is: our nigeria ninja didn't ask him for money and as a result wasn't expecting a dime. The other guy has been in obodo oyibo for 16 years and ninja didn't die of hunger. So if it's going to take him extra 3 years to get something tangible to send, then so be it.

Nor be by force to 'show levels', considering the fact that no one begged you for money in the first instance.
cool

Shikena:
This is another problem with our mindset.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that this is about "bigman" levels? Could it just be a regular guy hearing all the noise online about hunger in Nigeria due to change of subsidy policies and deciding to contribute his own quota within his limit knowing that those who don't need it can always use it to help others? Are you sure his 20k was not spread out among several people on his small personal network? Is there a rule that giving has to be triggered by begging?

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Chidolalar: 4:16pm On Mar 07
eepeepook:
He’s not ungrateful. The man should send back the $12. I know the tribe the friend is from. Very stingy people.

Meanwhile, my friends in different countries each want to send me $100. I’m rejecting the offer because I’m bigger than such sum. Though, having the money at the moment would alleviate my situation a little, money finishes. I am not a beggar. I was taught to work for money. I’m happy to have them as friends. Material things are unneeded.

Pls if u don't need that your friends money, I need it.

2 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by lagonovo: 4:18pm On Mar 07
Learning a lot about Nigerians here. My conclusion is for people to just stick with their loved ones. Mend fences with your family members, develop each other, and when you have extra for charity please send your donations to charity organizations. Giving to these so-called old friends and acquaintances is very dangerous. Some of them believe you are showing off while others believe they deserve more. Just stay off them and be at peace with yourself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Shikena(m): 4:20pm On Mar 07
I don't think he was showing levels with 20k in Naira or $12. I think he was just helping out. Give it out to those in need if you don't need it.
Yes the shout of hunger in the last few years is really loud and even much louder after subsidy removal. It was not like that for 16 years so helping out during this period is not inhuman and I don't see any show off in 20k or even N1m.

richie240:
My bloda, what is worth doing is worth doing well

Again, the key word here is: our nigeria ninja didn't ask him for money and as a result wasn't expecting a dime. The other guy has been in obodo oyibo for 16 years and ninja didn't die of hunger. So if it's going to take him extra 3 years to get something tangible to send, then so be it.

Nor be by force to 'show levels', considering the fact that no one begged you for money in the first instance.
cool

2 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by goody234: 4:21pm On Mar 07
Entitled idiot he owes you nothing

3 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by richie240: 4:28pm On Mar 07
@ d bolded: Perhaps so.
Perhaps some of them over there have that feeling we are really suffering over here or they underestimate the effect of inflation on the money they are about to send.

Perhaps they think 10k can achieve much
grin
Shikena:
I don't think he was showing levels with 20k in Naira or $12. I think he was just helping out. Give it out to those in need if you don't need it.
Yes the shout of hunger in the last few years is really loud. It was not like that for 16 years so helping out during this period is not inhuman.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Shikena(m): 4:42pm On Mar 07
I don't think he sent money to change the situation in Nigeria or for the recipient to achieve anything, he probably just sent something to help a bit. I don't see any issue with that even if he sent N5k.

richie240:
@ d bolded: Perhaps so.
Perhaps some of them over there have that feeling we are really suffering over here or they underestimate the effect of inflation on the money they are about to send.

Perhaps they think 10k can achieve much
grin

3 Likes

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by richie240: 4:52pm On Mar 07
Thanks for making me laff!
cheesy
Shikena:
I don't think he sent money to change the situation in Nigeria or for the recipient to achieve anything, he probably just sent something to help a bit. I don't see any issue with that even if he sent N5k.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Shikena(m): 4:55pm On Mar 07
That's the objective of the little help. Those who don't need it can always share it with the needy. N5k will help some students buy handouts, spread it around grin

richie240:
Thanks for making me laff!
cheesy
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by richie240: 5:00pm On Mar 07
Understand sarcasm bro!
cool
Shikena:
That's the objective of the little help. Those who don't need it can always share it with the needy. N5k will help some students buy handouts, spread it around grin

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Shikena(m): 5:01pm On Mar 07
I did. I only played around it grin

richie240:
Understand sarcasm bro!
cool
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by richie240: 5:03pm On Mar 07
Shikena:
I did. I only played around it grin

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by akube34: 5:05pm On Mar 07
Timoleon:
tangible to me fit no be tangible to you. 10$, 15$ might be tangible to you, it's not to me. Rest
no Dey calculate the money for dollars. Na Naira dem give you. So make I give one mumu 100k cus I don Dey abroad 16years? Una funny. I bin owe am before I comot country?

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 5:08pm On Mar 07
akube34:
no Dey calculate the money for dollars. Na Naira dem give you. So make I give one mumu 100k cus I don Dey abroad 16years? Una funny. I bin owe am before I comot country?
baba keep your money na. E beg you for money? I don tire for the back and forth. Na you quote me, no be me quote you. Anybody wey come beg you for money, anything e eye see make e collect am like that. Bye.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Thislifee: 5:16pm On Mar 07
eepeepook:
He’s not ungrateful. The man should send back the $12. I know the tribe the friend is from. Very stingy people.

Meanwhile, my friends in different countries each want to send me $100. I’m rejecting the offer because I’m bigger than such sum. Though, having the money at the moment would alleviate my situation a little, money finishes. I am not a beggar. I was taught to work for money. I’m happy to have them as friends. Material things are unneeded.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Thislifee: 5:19pm On Mar 07
ufotty2001:
I wanted to buy a land over here in Port Harcourt. I had up to 3.5m and I was expecting 2m from my business the following week. I call my brother in USA to help me with N1.5m he refused. So that I can add to the 3.5m to buy the land of NN5m.. Despite that I will pay him back in less than 5days.. he refused. This is blood brother oohh.. a professional nurse that had stayed in US for 25yrs..
severe all ties with him!
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by eepeepook: 5:24pm On Mar 07
Thislifee:
That's tribe is igbo.. greedy people!
I will neither confirm nor deny.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Thislifee: 5:48pm On Mar 07
Jewessgratitud3:
A neighbor of mine called me on Saturday and was complaining bitterly about his Bossom friend.

He told me his friend travelled to the US in 2008 and after a few calls they lost contacts. Last week his friend messaged him and said he's aware of the hardship in naija and asked him to send his account details. My neighbor did and after a while he received an alert of 20k. I said wow!.. that's a miracle. but he hushed me and said I should let him finish.

He said immediately he did the conversion it came to 12.8 dollars. He now said after 16 years it 12 Dollar the friend could send to him that that's an insult.
I tried to make him understand the friend may not be doing well over there but he said the guy is doing well that he's weighing the naira value of the money and feels 20k is big money. He said he feels insulted. Me I just carry my two long legs Waka leave my ungrateful neighbor.

Is my neighbor right and did his friend do wrong by sending that kind of amount? 12 Dollars...

To me the friend did not do any wrong but my neighbor feels he could do better.that 12 Dollar is like 1,200 hundred naira to them over there.

Guys what will you do if you were my neighbor?
Tell your neighbor to ask for his account and send back the money to him. That's an insult and not your neighbor being ungrateful!
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Pascal9: 5:56pm On Mar 07
Oga i didn't beg you money, you are there for 16yrs i did mot beg you a dime, why should you insult me with 12 dollars, can 12 dollars buy 1 carton of indomie, not talking of rice, people should respect there self.i don't talk my own
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Originalsly: 6:00pm On Mar 07
Timoleon:

if I was starving, I would ask and receive with gratitude. In this case, the receiver didn't ask.

grin you can dance around a question! ... but I'm not distracted by your footworks!!... so what if you were offered? ... would you ? ... with gratitude?
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by borie4u(m): 6:13pm On Mar 07
That ur neighbor is a big fool
My parents told me no matter how small a gift is learn to say thank you even if u are bigger than it. That 20k is an addition to whatever u have and mind u the guy may be tight on budget. Nigerians back home thinks they are the only one we send money to. There is no week that I don't send money home either to family, Friends , coworkers etc. Does he know how many friends the guy may have sent money to or so. Come UK now. Sometime I tip oyinbo one pound and he will smile at u .sometimes they go send u so many things and only say thank u and that's all. Make ur friend enter sainbury, royal mall go see how easy that money is in dollars. Ungrateful idiot. Make the guy give am his rent money as he don see am since ages abi
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by borie4u(m): 6:16pm On Mar 07
Pascal9:
Oga i didn't beg you money, you are there for 16yrs i did mot beg you a dime, why should you insult me with 12 dollars, can 12 dollars buy 1 carton of indomie, not talking of rice, people should respect there self.i don't talk my own
Oh if u go buy indomie and ur money is short by 2k will the buy allow u carry the indomie. See I have trekked 9miles because I have had less than a pound for my Uber money. No matter what appreciate what u have
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by DevilsEqual(m): 7:05pm On Mar 07
madridguy:
Entitlement mentality will kill some people.

According to elder Reno Omokri : Gratitude is a magnet that attracts more things to be grateful for. When you express gratitude in such an effusive way, when someone gives you anything, they will want to provide you with more things. Never be that person who says, 'You looked at me, and this is what you could give me?' That is the worst type of pride, and even your own family will avoid gifting you things. Everybody likes to be appreciated. And when you fulfil that need, they will ensure your value appreciates. Radiate gratitude, and you will graduate to plentitude. Don't go and be an alpha male who refuses to be grateful when he has been blessed with a gift. That kind of attitude turns you from an alpha male to a half a male very quickly!
}

Aunty mariahAngel will come to tell u that 20k cant get one a decent cake and that that amount is only good for buying irrelevant gifts
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 7:16pm On Mar 07
Originalsly:

grin you can dance around a question! ... but I'm not distracted by your footworks!!... so what if you were offered? ... would you ? ... with gratitude?

If I was offered, I will politely decline.

1 Like

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by mariahAngel(f): 7:45pm On Mar 07
DevilsEqual:
}

Aunty mariahAngel will come to tell u that 20k cant get one a decent cake and that that amount is only good for buying irrelevant gifts

Yes! 20k can't get you a sizable quality birthday cake.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by winnah(f): 8:03pm On Mar 07
Sir i think your the neighbor

Jewessgratitud3:

Bros calm down now grin e never reach like that. By the way he's my neighbor, not my friend.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

**Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** / Challenges Of Being A Man In Our 'modern' Society / I Feel Hatred Towards My Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.