Stats: 3,152,440 members, 7,815,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy (29676 Views)

US Based Nurse Gifts Her Husband Who Brought Her To America A New Mercedes Benz / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / I'm Getting Married But I'm Not Happy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by richie240: 8:23pm On Mar 07
The tin wey most of us dey miss out for this discussion be say d guy nor beg am for money.

If I beg u for 500k and u give me 5k (1% of what I asked), then I have no choice but to take it jejely and thank u for it all bcus "a beggar has no choice'', but if I nor beg u for money na totally different ball game. I may even be in a better position than you despite you being in a foreign land.
akube34:
no Dey calculate the money for dollars. Na Naira dem give you. So make I give one mumu 100k cus I don Dey abroad 16years? Una funny. I bin owe am before I comot country?
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 8:26pm On Mar 07
So if someone in Nigeria gives you 20k you’ll appreciate it but if they live abroad and give you the same amount of money then it’s an insult?

Their only crime is living abroad Abi?
Because somehow they owe you something because they traveled abroad?
Timoleon:
Lol...this is worse than insult. It's better to not send anything than ring someone up after 16 years in the abroad just to send 12$.

Some people will say it's 'entitlement mentality'. But if I see you for road, you dey mind your business I come hala say I know say life hard, take 50 naira go find biscuit chop, before you die for our neck. You go reason better blow for mouth. After all, you no beg me for food or for money. Despite the fact that I just gave you my 'hard earned' money, you'd know in your heart of hearts that I just undermined you.

For 16years, bro has been managing to survive, How would you message him out of the blues to send him 12$. One carton of indomie.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 8:29pm On Mar 07
enambobo:
12 dollars that is not even up to one hour wage for the least worker in the US. It’s more like biscuit money. Abeg e no try.

Why are you concerned about the value in dollars versus the naira value that you’re spending it in?

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 8:30pm On Mar 07
StPete:

Your comment is the only reasonable comment I've seen so far. You just spoke my mind.

It is better you even send shoes, or other items than send a paltry $12. Is there any reasonable thing u can buy with $12 in the US apart from food and groceries?

Do you live in the USA? Why is the dollar value important to you?

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 8:32pm On Mar 07
ufotty2001:
I wanted to buy a land over here in Port Harcourt. I had up to 3.5m and I was expecting 2m from my business the following week. I call my brother in USA to help me with N1.5m he refused. So that I can add to the 3.5m to buy the land of NN5m.. Despite that I will pay him back in less than 5days.. he refused. This is blood brother oohh.. a professional nurse that had stayed in US for 25yrs..
why couldn’t you wait the 5 days and use the complete money to buy the land then?

What’s wrong with some of you.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by 79733139(m): 8:33pm On Mar 07
Please tell your friend to donate the money to an orphanage or a charity foundation. They usually accept all donations and no amount is too small for them.

Jewessgratitud3:
A neighbor of mine called me on Saturday and was complaining bitterly about his Bossom friend.

He told me his friend travelled to the US in 2008 and after a few calls they lost contacts. Last week his friend messaged him and said he's aware of the hardship in naija and asked him to send his account details. My neighbor did and after a while he received an alert of 20k. I said wow!.. that's a miracle. but he hushed me and said I should let him finish.

He said immediately he did the conversion it came to 12.8 dollars. He now said after 16 years it 12 Dollar the friend could send to him that that's an insult.
I tried to make him understand the friend may not be doing well over there but he said the guy is doing well that he's weighing the naira value of the money and feels 20k is big money. He said he feels insulted. Me I just carry my two long legs Waka leave my ungrateful neighbor.

Is my neighbor right and did his friend do wrong by sending that kind of amount? 12 Dollars...

To me the friend did not do any wrong but my neighbor feels he could do better.that 12 Dollar is like 1,200 hundred naira to them over there.

Guys what will you do if you were my neighbor?

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 8:35pm On Mar 07
TheFreshVanilla:
Most of your friends /families abroad first convert the money into naira before sending them. They still relate with you like you're both spending naira even if they are doing well over there.

As they should. You spend in naira. Why does someone giving you money have to calculate in dollars. Is that your national currency?

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Jewessgratitud3: 8:41pm On Mar 07
cococandy:

As they should. You spend in naira. Why does someone giving you money have to calculate in dollars. Is that your national currency?
Madam go and rest! Stop attacking people who don't share same views with you. The US guy is stingy if he actually gave based on the based on the naira value and not in dollars.

That 12$ can not buy his children snacks abroad and that's what he chose to send to someone. I'm sure you're like him.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 8:44pm On Mar 07
FFS shush with your rants all over the thread.

Why does the number of years he’s been abroad matter?
Do they owe you more money the longer they live abroad? Y’all’s logic confound me.

If your currency isn’t dollars, I don’t see why the heck you’re calculating the dollar value. Except for some profound deep seated ingratitude. You want to make sure the person giving you the money suffered and sacrificed for it versus giving you something that’s convenient for them.

Pretty sure a Nigerian giving you 20k wouldn’t have been an insult. It’s now an insult because they have the nerve to live abroad.
Timoleon:

That's the very reason that friend shouldn't have sent that kind of money after 16years. Bro didn't beg him for money, he messaged bro himself. I dey sell food, you dey waka for front of my shop, I call you pour food for floor, tell you make you chop because country hard. You go chop am? You go kneel down tell me thank you pray for me? Fact Is wether I gave you food or not, you go survive. If I no give you at all na my right to not give, na me know how economy dey affect my market. However, there are ways to give and ways not to give. If I must give I must do it in a way that does not diminish the receiver's dignity.

You can be abroad 100years and not give anything, nobody is entitled to your money. It is unwarranted to call out if the blues after almost two decades to say I hear say country hard, here's 12$.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 8:45pm On Mar 07
Jewessgratitud3:

Madam go and rest! Stop attacking people who don't share same views with you. The US guy is stingy if he actually gave based on the based on the naira value and not in dollars.

That 12$ can not buy his children snacks abroad and that's what he chose to send to someone. I'm sure you're like him.

How much are you sending to those abroad?
Do they owe you because they live abroad?

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Jewessgratitud3: 8:50pm On Mar 07
cococandy:

How much are you sending to those abroad?
Do they owe you because they live abroad?

Do people in Nigeria owe you too? Why should they send money to you?

Abeg!
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by enambobo(m): 8:53pm On Mar 07
cococandy:

Why are you concerned about the value in dollars versus the naira value that you’re spending it in?
Because even in Naira it has no value.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by 79733139(m): 8:54pm On Mar 07
cococandy:
why couldn’t you wait the 5 days and use the complete money to buy the land then?

So many Nigerians have entitlement complex. Just because they are friends with or related to a person, they believe the person must give them whatever they demand.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 9:02pm On Mar 07
enambobo:

Because even in Naira it has no value.

Well then that’s a different story.

Giving based on what’s helpful in the local currency versus calculating in dollars is more sensible.

Maybe him being abroad for a while made him not aware that 20k is way less helpful than it was few years ago. In that case, instead of acting like the person is trying to be deliberately insulting, just accept that maybe they don’t know.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 9:02pm On Mar 07
79733139:

So many Nigerians have entitlement complex. Just because they are friends with or related to a person, they believe the person must give them whatever they demand.

I’m seeing that now and it’s shocking

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 9:03pm On Mar 07
Jewessgratitud3:

Do people in Nigeria owe you too? Why should they send money to you?

Abeg!

Exactly! they don’t owe me

That’s why you won’t see me here making a stupid thread about it

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Stevenbright(m): 9:04pm On Mar 07
cococandy:

He wanted to use scope for his brother but the guy man knows he won't pay the money back.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Pascal9: 9:06pm On Mar 07
borie4u:

Oh if u go buy indomie and ur money is short by 2k will the buy allow u carry the indomie. See I have trekked 9miles because I have had less than a pound for my Uber money. No matter what appreciate what u have
i didn't beg him, besides what is 20000 worth in present Nigeria, oga this is indirect mockery
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Timoleon(m): 9:06pm On Mar 07
cococandy:
FFS shush with your rants all over the thread.

Why does the number of years he’s been abroad matter?
Do they owe you more money the longer they live abroad? Y’all’s logic confound me.

If your currency isn’t dollars, I don’t see why the heck you’re calculating the dollar value. Except for some profound deep seated ingratitude. You want to make sure the person giving you the money suffered and sacrificed for it versus giving you something that’s convenient for them.

Pretty sure a Nigerian giving you 20k wouldn’t have been an insult. It’s now an insult because they have the nerve to live abroad.

K
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 9:07pm On Mar 07
Stevenbright:

He wanted to use scope for his brother but the guy man knows he won't pay the money back.
yes cheesy
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by 79733139(m): 9:13pm On Mar 07
Pascal9:
i didn't beg him, besides what is 20000 worth in present Nigeria, oga this is indirect mockery

You could always donate the money to an orphanage, they would appreciate the money... and then you just move on with your life as if nothing happened.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 9:13pm On Mar 07
Jeffy1206:
I think the friend is right cos he might actually be doing well for himself. He only converted the amount in naira for you. Definitely it's an insult! He feels you aren't worth even 500 dolls to him. Rubbish and stingy Nigerians.

Do you think $500 is just laying around for everyone in USA to hand out to multiple people?

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 9:19pm On Mar 07
Thank you!
sukkot:
nooooo bro the guy has zero point. There are issues at play here that you guys are not considering

1- the friend is out of touch with reality. They say the guy has been away for over 18 years. When the guy left naija 20k was a hugeee amount. The guys mind is still stuck in that era. One thing about japa ? Unless you visit regularly, your mind is stuck to the era you left naija in. To that man he thinks he is busting his guys bank account with 20 thousand. It sounds like a lot .

But notwithstanding, 20000 free unsolicited money is awoof to be celebrated and enjoyed. If you are already rich ? Just see it as your friend bought you catfish pepper soup and odeku. Go to a joint and point to the biggest catfish for 12000 and buy like 5 odeku and enjoy . What’s there to be angry about ? It’s free money

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Jewessgratitud3: 9:24pm On Mar 07
cococandy:

Exactly! they don’t owe me

That’s why you won’t see me here making a stupid thread about it

Yeah but you're on the stupid thread making stupid defence for your warped views as usual. cheesy
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by 79733139(m): 9:26pm On Mar 07
He could have just given the N20,000 to a hungry child or teenager in his neighbourhood or better yet make a donation to an orphanage and then move on with his life. His anger and bitterness is unjustified. Did the guy contribute or donate any money when his friend was immigrating? If the answer is no, then why the entitlement?

ThierryJay:

Lol, but on a serious note the guy has a point.

He is both right and wrong. Right to conclude that an unsolicited gift of $12 from a close friend after 18 years is paltry and insulting, but wrong to complain about it in ingratitude.

If I was the one, I'd feel insulted but will still go ahead and thank the friend for remembering me. I may then give out the money to someone who'd really appreciate it. That way it's a win-win.

Nowadays, I'd feel guilty to even give a beggar 100 Naira cos in my mind, what can it buy? Some giftings can attract mockery and it's better not to give at all in those instances or wait till you have a decent amount. Even the Bible talks about the value of giftings.
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 9:33pm On Mar 07
Jewessgratitud3:

Yeah but you're on the stupid thread making stupid defence for your warped views as usual. cheesy

Only you and your God know if you’re a real person or a troll. This was you not long ago giving testimony and thanking God that someone sent you 20k

Fast forward to today and 20k is now an insult. Because the sender lives abroad?. And I’m the one with warped view?

I won’t even bother trying to get it to make sense to you.
Clearly that’s a job for the brave and patient

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by StPete: 9:35pm On Mar 07
cococandy:

Do you live in the USA? Why is the dollar value important to you?

Except u want to live in denial, why won’t the dollar value be important? And how is 20k a lot of money these days?
Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by cococandy(f): 9:39pm On Mar 07
StPete:

Except u want to live in denial, why won’t the dollar value be important? And how is 20k a lot of money these days?

I didn’t say 20k is a lot of money.

The reason why the dollar value is irrelevant is because the same way Nigerians abroad shouldn’t be converting to naira when spending is the same way Nigerians in Nigeria shouldn’t be valuing stuff based on how many dollars it cost the giver

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by armadeo(m): 9:41pm On Mar 07
Na free 20k na. Half tank. I'll be great full oh. Na free money. If e no send nko.

Re: After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy by Acidosis(m): 9:42pm On Mar 07
YorubaKing:
You wonder why Nigerians in the diaspora avoid Nigerians back home.

Very ungrateful set of pple! angry

Ungrateful and wicked.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

**Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** / I Feel Hatred Towards My Husband / Challenges Of Being A Man In Our 'modern' Society

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56