Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (65352 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by MasterTeeUSA: 4:24pm On Apr 01
I wrote about this before. You need 3 things before you japa...age is not really one of them.

1. You need a Brain...You have to be smart, have initiative, be willing to adjust, return to school, take additional training and be willing to allow time to grow into where you want to be. If you are dumb, please save yourself the trouble...the odd jobs will frustrate you and age you faster.

2. You need a good heart...If you are already sick or dealing with some ailments, you should rethink because the kind of jobs you will do initially will stress you a lot. You might not be on insurance and you definitely dont want to rely on Emergency. If you are out of a job due to illness, you might not be paid...which is why people work till they drop dead. Think twice

3. Support ...If you have a good family or funds to support yourself or people it will also help you. If you marriage is not strong, it will be gone. Once the support is gone and you cant support yourself...then the body will go with it mentally and physically...and then your heart or vice versa.

Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is not a hearsay, it is not an eye witness account, it is my story.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

You will find out in this thread.

To be continued shortly .........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by mamajaz(f): 4:26pm On Apr 01
Benjamin4388:

na this kind mentality will make a sane human wants to leave this shitthole the more

Exactly oh because they believe in making others subservient to them so they can keep the big-manship cycle cycling. Awon ti o serious, they will now come and say making #200k per month in Nigeria is better than earning £2k in the UK. People wey no sabi wetin dey.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Bananapill: 4:28pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

The part I really liked... His savings per month is still more than monthly gross in Nigeria.
I go japa sooner than later by God's grace.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Trustme2(m): 4:29pm On Apr 01
MT:

People do not know the power tech holds, and the capabilities it could unleash.

I was just offered a job of 800 GBP per day in the UK from the country I currently reside and I still rejected it, despite the fact that I will be working remotely as a senior software developer cum software architect.

Sadly, like I earlier stated, AI will take over all these menial jobs and office jobs people still do. This is the time to look in the direction of tech, if you can, to be relevant in the tsunami era that is coming. I understand not everyone can do tech, but if you can, do not hesitate please. It will hit a lot of people like an horror movie what is about to happen and western nations are so vulnerable.
Pls can I talk to you?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Chiuzk: 4:34pm On Apr 01
I am sorry to bother you sir, but if you don't mind, how can I get in touch with you? Genuinely for my husband. He will be the one to contact you pls if you don't mind. He will verify all he needs to know from you directly. Pls he works as an engineer with one of the telecoms, and I run a business. Please, can you give us (him) a space to talk with you? If it is possible sir,here's my mail (chizkemss@yahoo.com). Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Chiuzk: 4:36pm On Apr 01
Pls, forgive my manners not to have added CONGRATULATIONS.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Jeje247: 4:41pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

Australia really humbled me. Imagine a financial controller in Nigeria now picking and packing cartons in warehouses in Australia.
Congratulations sir. Would really want to know. What it cost you in total for relocation. From visa till arrival.
Secondly, have you any encounters with bugs, reptiles or canines? Are the media reports about Australian wildlife exaggerated?

Congratulations once again
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 4:44pm On Apr 01
Usefulness congratulations. I don save your user name. Na u go come pick me up at the airport when my own time comes. I go stay your house for 2 weeks.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by desiredmee(m): 4:49pm On Apr 01
OP please share useful information on how to go about it and the likely cost.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by NuCypher: 4:51pm On Apr 01
Gerrard59:

Not again!!!

Unless he intends to return to Nigeria later in life, why the conversion? Is he spending naira in Australia? Just as I stated above, returning has to be planned now or else, he will be in Australia for the rest of his life, as flying to Nigeria would not be feasible unless he gets quite rich to afford it. Remaining in Australia for the rest of his life erodes whatever AUD to NGN conversion you have there.

His earnings and expenses are in AUD, stick to it. Nothing concerns NGN in Australia.
As much as I agree with you, I think you and others who make this argument underestimate the significance of this. The fact that he has more naira spending power is an enormous advantage now and later in life. This simply means that the option to relocate back to Nigeria to continue living a much better life at a cheaper rate remains open to him. Even if he has no plans to come later to Nigeria, the fact that the option remains open is a great advantage. On the contrary, not every oyinbo person can do the same. They are not Nigerian citizens and they don't know how Nigeria works. But for the Nigeria who earns in dollars or whatever currency and lives abroad, if he gets too tired of life over there, he can pack his bags, take this dollar savings, relocate back to Nigeria, and automatically become 3-4x richer than average. He can probably buy houses in a good neighbourhood and resume a better life in Nigeria. The option remains forever open as long as he maintains his Nigerian citizenship/passport. It doesn't matter if or when he'll do it.

You don't understand the great advantage this is, until you hear about Americans who are paying enormous amounts to relocate to Portugal or Thailand just so they can avoid Uncle Sam's break-neck taxes and live a more affordable life. As a Nigerian, you don't even have to think it that deep. The option is just there waiting for you anytime you need it.

12 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Jeje247: 4:53pm On Apr 01
Treadway:
first of, again the only thing that irks me is the statement 'a cleaner in Aussie is better than a Regional Manager in Zenith bank'..so we don't lose focus or context.. the fellow I responded too which made you quote my post was saying it is all about the money, and I say ok oo but for some more money isn't a motivator when you have sorted that need and have moved up to a higher level need that now motivates you. That was the crux of my post that you quoted.

I don't care about OPs move abroad, his reasons for moving, or what he does for a living. I agree that our leaders should b stoned to death with hot bricks but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have self worth, going around to make silly and baseless statements and comparisons online. Anyone who feels he is worthless cos he is Nigerian can gladly join the league of those who don't wait to be told that destitutes and dogs are better than them but already happily or sadly believe that to be their case. I won't stop you or them.

Ps: A janitor is a janitor, whether in the USA, Uzbekistan or Nigeria. If that is what anyone aspires to be, that's none of my business. I have never and don't ever aspire to be a janitor even if it hypothetically pays more than my current job (which it can't/ doesn't be it here or yonder). Have at it if you want it.

Cheers
the biggest motive I have for wanting to travel has little to do with money. It is rest of mind and serenity for training my kids. There are big question marks about the future of Nigeria. We can just wake up one day and be gunned down by armed men or our ridiculous earnings further subjected to more misery by artificial inflation. The few who hold sway don't care if the rest of us perish. I won't be here when the waters get murky. If I am on the other side and things somehow gets better in Nigeria, I will of course be glad and felicitate with Nigerians but I am at my break point. I don't see any hope in sight and I won't wait to see either

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by KaptainAfrika: 5:00pm On Apr 01
JAPA IF YOU CAN ! DON'T MIND THESE CONSTIPATED ANTI-JAPA AGBADO EATERS ! THEY LOVE NIGERIA SO MUCH THEY WON'T DO SHIII TO MAKE IT BETTER...GERRRAHIA...CONGRATULATIONS TO THE OP.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Treadway: 5:07pm On Apr 01
NuCypher:

As much as I agree with you, I think you and others who make this argument underestimate the significance of this. The fact that he has more naira spending power is an enormous advantage now and later in life. This simply means that the option to relocate back to Nigeria to continue living a much better life at a cheaper rates remains open to him. Even if he has no plans to come later to Nigeria, the fact that the option remains open is a great advantage. On the contrary, not every oyinbo person can do the same. They are not Nigerian citizens and they don't know how Nigeria works. But for the Nigeria who earns in dollars or whatever currency and lives abroad, if he gets too tired of life over there, he can pack his bags, take this dollar savings, relocate back to Nigeria, and automatically become 3-4x richer than average. He can probably buy houses in a good neighbourhood and resume a better life in Nigeria. The options remains forever open as long as he maintains his Nigerian citizenship/passport. It doesn't matter if or when he'll do it.

You don't understand the great advantage this is, until you hear about Americans who are paying enormous amounts to relocate to Portugal or Thailand just so they can avoid Uncle Sam's break-neck taxes and live a more affordable life. As a Nigerian, you don't even have to think it that deep. The option is just there waiting for you anytime you need it.
on the assumption that naira is still shit in 2,5,10 years time. Fortunately/unfortunately that could very well change with the right policies and leadership. What happens then?

I am holding the bulk of my savings in USD and I currently have a pessimistic outlook to Nigeria, but I'm not stupid to arrogantly block off the possibility that naira could appreciate with the right policies at any time. If I as much as read news of at least two refineries (Dangote and at least one other) being truly operational lasan, you can bet I'm selling that dollar stash pronto, cos I know what that portends/means.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by peleson1: 5:08pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

Wifey went first and I joined her later with my children

Did she go with student route or with work/employment e g express entry?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 5:12pm On Apr 01
Xwizard:
A guy here once said never to migrate to Australia but your story is different

That guy might be high when he said it, trust me.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by omoluka: 5:12pm On Apr 01
VAPatrick:

Just a quick clarification. There are no menial jobs in developed countries. Every job you do is valued and oyibo will never look down on you based on the job you do. For this reason, a manager in Naija will not have any problem taking up a cleaner job. Besides, there is no huge disparity in pay like we have in Nigeria. Unlike Naija companies where managers earn hundreds of thousands and cleaners 15K, here if I work as a cleaner and earn $2k monthly, a manager in my company can’t earn more than 4K. He will pay more tax than me and will not enjoy some benefits I get as a low income earner. If you’ve been to a developed country then you’ll understand how shitty Nigeria is.
You 100 correct

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by IbeOkehie: 5:13pm On Apr 01
Where is @Sukkot? So silent, he should be here. I bet he's already run away to Australia and left his Anti-Jakpa Crew to roast in Nigeria.

grin angry grin

Typical Nigerian!!!!

Good Luck to Nigerians!

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 5:15pm On Apr 01
Kk4:
Welcome to the land of hardworking and welcoming people. You will love it here

Which city are you in? Hope you guys are helping new comers. Cuz I need someone that will come pick me from the airport when I finally land by 2026 and also accommodate me for 2 weeks. Can you help out on that?

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Akalia(m): 5:17pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
he can save 4 - 5 million monthly...dey play !

Abi you dey tell person wey no get people for Aussie

Well, ignorance is bliss ... At that age he should be planning retirement and not emigration to go and start life again

That's my own opinion and I think I have right to that
You seem to have a valid argument bros. Out of curiosity I like you to postulate the ideal age bracket to Japa since you consider the OP's age too old?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 5:20pm On Apr 01
okomoney:
can i move to Australia with visa visa and start life any advise

If you have qualification in a stem course, you can. If you have job experience in a good occupation, you can. Which one do you have? I will guide you.

Like me now, I will be migrating to Australia latest 2026 with my Engineering degree as a young man in his mid 30th. I am already on the process.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by IbeOkehie: 5:21pm On Apr 01
Gerrard59:

Not again!!!

Unless he intends to return to Nigeria later in life, why the conversion?

His earnings and expenses are in AUD, stick to it. Nothing concerns NGN in Australia.

Oga Gerrard I disagree. Even if he's not returning to Nigeria, he will be BETTER ABLE to cater for extended family dependents.

Ask any high income person in Nigeria, the demands or duties of catering to the mass population of poor people is crushing. Just talk to the ones you know and they will tell you. It takes a lot of resources and income.

And he may indeed be returning to Nigeria. Even someone like me as hostile as I am to the idea, I can't completely rule it out. It might just happen due to changing circumstances.

Oga Gerrard come on now!

Good Luck to Nigerians
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by TGLINKS(m): 5:22pm On Apr 01
Nwanne biko nnegi anwuna
Australia is my dream country nwanne please help me out currently working with a security company with salary of 65k as a family man reach me@08076500191 thank GOD 4 u

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by TGLINKS(m): 5:25pm On Apr 01
Nwanne biko nnegi anwuna
Australia is my dream country nwanne please help me out currently working with a security company with salary of 65k as a family man reach me@08076500191 thank GOD 4 u please I really need ur support and direction tnx

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 5:26pm On Apr 01
Matheusmartin:
God bless you for sharing.
I'm 30. Plenty hope still dey.

Still not happy with the oversabi angel that sent me to Nigeria though.
We go settle scores when the time comes.. angry

Start now. Time no dey o. 45 is the maximum age limit for a single person to migrate to Australia, except you have a partner whose age is below 45 who can serve as the main applicant. Anything above 45, you need a job sponsorship to sponsor you.

In the case of Op, it was possible for him cuz of his wife who was already there, that's why the age didn't affect him. So, better start making plans now if you really want to cuz age is still on your side.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by funkyjms: 5:27pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

I am open to any question you may have.

So have you seen snake? wink
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Neddyogu(m): 5:33pm On Apr 01
Congratulations bro
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 5:37pm On Apr 01
TheBillyonaire:

I promise you that we will build Nigeria, so your children can have a better place to return to, and hopefully you will be visiting often and not when you are too weak to be useful to Nigeria.

You guys should help us build Nigeria. We will really appreciate it. Over 60 years after independence, you guys are still building Nigeria. Any way, good luck in building Nigeria. As for me and unborn kids, we don waka. When you guys finally build Nigeria, we might return in the future.

6 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by omoluka: 5:41pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

Australia pays the highest wage when compared with UK, Canada, US(in some companies) with minimum tax rate. In June this year, there is going to be a new minimum wage to be implemented with lesser tax rate. You can verify this on Google if you wish.
💯 Everyone with phone connected to Internet know this.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 5:43pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
he can save 4 - 5 million monthly...dey play !

Abi you dey tell person wey no get people for Aussie

Well, ignorance is bliss ... At that age he should be planning retirement and not emigration to go and start life again

That's my own opinion and I think I have right to that

This must be ogbonti brother. Una don come with una wahala. U no get anybody for Aussie. Stop lieing. Abeg go sit down.

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by diamond68: 5:45pm On Apr 01
IbeOkehie:
Where is @Sukkot? So silent, he should be here. I bet he's already run away to Australia and left his Anti-Jakpa Crew to roast in Nigeria.

grin angry grin

Typical Nigerian!!!!

Good Luck to Nigerians!

😀
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 5:46pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
after all these...I still have someone that is in Australia for over 10 yrs ...the person seff is finding it hard to secure air ticket to come home with his family

How una dey take look some of us ...una think say we are daft ?

grin grin grin grin angry angry see them.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Chidolalar: 5:47pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

the story that follows.

Pls sir how much total money did it take u to Australia. And how much are u making in the warehouse that makes it possible for you to save a bigger money here than when u were in Nigeria working as a financial controller in Onitsha.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (26) (Reply)

Airport Official Catches Man Packaged As Yam Inside A Carton (video) / Ikeja City Mall (Shoprite) Escalator Excites Lagosians / The Manual “traffic Light” That Was Used In Lagos In The 1940s (PHOTOS)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.