Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,995 members, 7,817,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (65600 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Curdlebug(m): 2:40pm On Apr 01
Nice
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Benjamin4388(m): 2:40pm On Apr 01
lacasera14:
So you exchanged your big man life in Nigeria for steady power, water, security, no car honks, organized society, and what again? I think you were not big man enough in Nigeria. Because the big men in Nigeria enjoy all those things you traveled out for. Ask them.

and they will later relocate there seeds and generation abroad.. and go for medical treatment.. smh.. purge yourself

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Benjamin4388(m): 2:55pm On Apr 01
koning:
Well, i am late to respond to this thread which has already clocked 13 pages of responses.

However, i have just a simple comment to make..

EARLY DAYS, my brother. Early days. You've just been there for 3 months. Let's have a feedback after 2 years. Very smart of you to ditch searching for Accounting job and went into factory/warehouse job. The frustration and depression would have been too much for you.

One thing i know for sure is that loss of "Big man"status in Australia will be unbearable for you in the long run. You will begin to appreciate Nigeria regardless of all the shortcommings.
na this kind mentality will make a sane human wants to leave this shitthole the more

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Treadway: 2:59pm On Apr 01
DataDoc:

Nigeria mostly lack data on these things. The only suicides you hear about are the ones that make it to the newspapers.

Lots of suicides occur here oh
why do most Nigerians whip up sentiments that are not existent or jump to conclusions that are not even inferred. One other fellow also made it seem like I am doing a comparison (thankfully I'm already used to this) when I am only telling OP to limit the self-immolation to himself.

I didn't say suicides don't occur in Nigeria. I was merely showing our new entrants to 'heavenly Aussie' who believed that there are no beggars in Aussie and that everyone is happy and flourishing that there are in fact beggars there and that people apparently have problems there too and are infact expressing that with an evidently high suicide rate....unless they are killing themselves from so much joy, success, abundance, and fulfillment. I did not say or suggest that naija no dey kpai demselves, una don already conclude that one say everybody wey dey naija is done for and a waste including the Regional managers and top-execs.

Hope that much is clear now.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Gandrova: 3:01pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:
Before I commence my story, I want to specifically thank those who advised me not to travel. Your advise was borne out of genuine love and concern. One stated clearly that I should not leave known for unknown.

However, taking the bold step to leave Nigeria at the time I did was the best decision I ever made in my life. In fact, given the same scenario and even if I am 52 and my salary was #2million per month, I will still leave Nigeria.

The first 2 months was very difficult. The mistake I made was my insistence on getting accounting job. I did over 60 applications and all of them were rejected. I have no Australian experience neither do I have Australian certification.

My wifey was indeed an angle in human form. She provided the needed support. She shouldered all the financial responsibilities all by herself. This is the part that almost pushed me into depression. As an Igboman, we consider it a taboo for our women to feed, house and cloth us.

After two months, I decided it was time to re-strategize. I enrolled for a forklift training and within two week, I obtained my forklift license.
Not satisfied with that, I took some courses and did some checks that will qualify me to go into disability support work. I obtained First aid certificate, Diploma in mental health, certificate in infection prevention and control, certificate in care for the aged and disabled, police check, working with children checks, NDIS worker check, NDIS orientation certificate and many more.

I started applying for warehouse jobs. In fact, I had to reject a lot of them. I settled for one of the warehouses and it has been awesome working for the organization.

I have not gotten what I am looking for yet. I am using the warehouse to keep body and soul together. In the warehouse where I work, you will see people of different ages. from 18 years to 65 years working and making a good living. in Australia, there is always something to do.

The only thing I miss, is the big man mentality we have in Nigeria. Where I will sit in my office, call one of my staff in intercom and ask for a cup of coffee; and it will be brought to me in seconds. You can't try that rubbish here.

The level of security here is top notch. I have no fear, i move about anytime of the day/night.

After one week in Australia, I concluded that Nigeria is a completely lawless country and an animal jungle. Here everything is ordered. I am yet to hear a driver blow his car horn while driving. There are no touts, there are no omoniles. Electricity has never blinked for one second. water is constant, gas is there. I have never seen two persons fighting in the street. I have never seen a mad man or woman on the road or street beggars. The air we breath here is different from the air we breath in Nigeria.

It was in Australia that I realized that the saying in Nigeria that Nigerian police is your friend is actually true. Break the law in Nigeria and police catches you, just give them #2,000 you are off the hook. And the circle of lawlessness continues. Here, it is a different ball game. Proposing bribe will be used as evidence against you. It doesn't matter who you are. Every one is civil.

While in Nigeria I suffered malaria every month. There is no month I don't treat malaria. Since I got to this country, I have never had headache let alone malaria.

Children are doing wonderfully well at school and are already speaking through their nose.

In conclusion, I made the best choice. Even though I have not really found the kind of job I want to do, the little I am doing now contributes in paying bills and I have savings more than my monthly gross per month in Nigeria.

If you are above 45 years and have your partner already in this country, and you are an employee of a company, it is in your best interest to leave Nigeria. Provided, of course, that you are healthy and you are not lazy.

One dark side to moving abroad is that you have more chances of being divorced by your wife. This is a story for another day as I have gathered enough reason on why families divorce and will create a thread on this someday.

I am open to any question you may have.
Congratulations sir you have escaped Nigeria crisis.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Shattuck(m): 3:01pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
no wahala...I wish you luck. At 55 - 60 one should be retired travelling around yhe world. That is my perspective not learning forklifting at 48
in Nigeria how many retired civil servants at 55-60 have enough resources to even feed let alone travelling around the world, or is it the less than 20k naira they earn as pension that will finance such lifestyle most are even owed their pension.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by OVB123: 3:05pm On Apr 01
seanwilliam:
Congrats bro .. I hear say anaconda plenty wella for Australia, abeg shey na true? How many u don see grin
Yes but it's in the rural part of Austrilia.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Streetdoctor: 3:10pm On Apr 01
abba190:
bro pls show me love Nigeria is hard ebi npawa oo
Abba190 rest kwanu, hv some self respect

5 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by henrimoto(m): 3:18pm On Apr 01
EreluRoz:
A 48yr old man is still young, so nothing do you.

My own classification of old man is 70 and above and besides I know a man who only starts seeing money at 50, he should be in his early 60s now and now multi millionaire if not a billionaire.
pls. Kindly share the story to encourage someone out there contemplating suicide because of financial hardship.

..Mention me when you start to write the story.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Ezini(f): 3:18pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

I migrated to Australia to on December 23rd 2023. My wife came in as a student in July 2023 while my daughter and I, joined her in December. For the past 3 months, there is no day I don't thank God for bringing me into this country. I stay in Newcastle NSW too. 1:30 drive from Sydney. Congratulations Sir

This is quite encouraging to prospective migrants

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by desiredmee(m): 3:33pm On Apr 01
Treadway:
lol. That is your perspective. Some people see life and the pursuit of happiness and/or significance differently.

I was asked at a job interview as a fresh grad if I would prefer to be a janitor for 200k salary or a manager for 100k salary. My answer then was a manager.

Fast forward to now, my answer is still the same. And based off your answer I can tell you'd choose to be a janitor, which is fine and your prerogative.

To explain tha Maslow's hierarchy of needs simply, it simply states that there is always a pressing need that motivates you and once that need is satisfied you move up to a 'higher' level need, which becomes your new motivator and so on up till level 5. Even as a fresh grad I knew I would derive no joy being a janitor for higher pay, and if I lose that specific janitor job, there is a very slim chance I'd get another paying same, but as a manager my next job could be that 100000*10, and more importantly I'd be happy while at it and fulfilled meaning I have somewhat moved to level 4 on the hierarchy.

Where I am on the hierarchy, I can't think like you have sadly, I am not motivated by only 'more money' or the presence of 'emergency care'. I suspect you still may not understand, but it is a teachable moment, someone might learn something and I feel like teaching.

Life is more than exchange rate.

For someone like op with the kind of exposure he must have had and at thatbage to think that way was kind of a let down and that is why I expressed it. I don't care if you move out of the country and do whatever, but pls be sensible and don't act like you forefather that saw a mirror and lost all there senses. How can you say there are no beggars in a country( thank God at least he didn't push that one further) or say one cleaner somewhere is better than someone well-read, super motivated, an achiever with a career who rose to become a top exec/RM? Madness! And you can only read or hear that from Nigerians with no self worth. As backward as Africa is na only Naija dey fall hand and constitute nuisance like this and it is annoying. Then you say they don't recognize your experience and credentials. How can they? When you have told them repeatedly how you don't even measure up to their homeless people and how they have given your life meaning just by accepting you. Why were you guys hating on Emdee Tiamiyu when you are no different. Dem just never interview una or give you mic yet, you'd clearly do worse

Cheers

You have successfully done nothing with this lengthy write-up I can assure you.

The OP sited the working condition that is obtainable over there but you are using what is obtainable here in Nigeria in your writeup, a Janitor for sure would be happy and derieve joy in his job because of the following reasons
He is not be looked down on
He is able to take care of his home
He is able to assist family members back home
He is able to build something back home

Mind you the janitor work is a temporary job.

The truth is our government is to be blamed in all of this, we have no reason leaving the country the way we are now but really they are giving us no other choice.

I know two persons that are of age 48 and were doing well by all standard in Nigeria but they still left the country with there family to UK.

Information on ground shows that what is obtainable generally is by far morethan enough reason to leave Nigeria.

I will end by saying we all should throw our anger at the government and not individuals trying to help themselves.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by OVB123: 3:38pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

LOL. Be playing. Why do you go to work if not to make money and enjoy. He can save 4-5M monthly in Australia even after expenses as compared his total take home of less than 1M as an account in Nigeria.

And yes, Australian lifestyle makes you active even at old age. People of 90+ years and still driving and walking without assistance here because of their lifestyle. Someone in Nigeria is already too old for anything at 60.

Lastly, you stand a chance of securing the destiny of your children for ever by becomimg citizens in the nearest futher. The money he spent to relocate will be recovered in less than 6 months. Australia is not lousy like UK, Canada, US. Just relax, make your money and enjoy life.
Thank you very much for this summission. Kudos!

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by koning: 3:40pm On Apr 01
Benjamin4388:

na this kind mentality will make a sane human wants to leave this shitthole the more

I will NEVER leave Nigeria if i am making N1million as salary in a month.. i dey mad!.

Do you know what Dignity and self respect means.

My dignity, self-respect and self worth means more to me that having light 24 hours a day. I can afford fuel for Gen for christ's sake.

POVERTY IS THE DRIVING FACTOR FOR THE JAPA MENTALITY. Stop fooling yourselves.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Taiwo20(m): 3:41pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:
what's the cost of the forklift training and do they issue certificates?
Does the training firm has an office in Lagos?

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Taiwo20(m): 3:41pm On Apr 01
what's the cost of the forklift training and do they issue certificates?
Does the training firm have an office in Lagos?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Burruchaga71(m): 3:42pm On Apr 01
[Australia here I come

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Onyenku3(m): 3:42pm On Apr 01
[I am just happy I stumbled on this post today. Pls, I would like to know a few things.
1. Was your wife already resident in Australia before you moved or did you move with your family?
How did you process your visa and documentation?
Is there any agent or website you could recommend?
I'll be waiting quote author=Usefulsense post=129158822]Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is not a hearsay, it is not an eye witness account, it is my story.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

You will find out in this thread.

To be continued shortly .........

[/quote]
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 3:50pm On Apr 01
Shattuck:
in Nigeria how many retired civil servants at 55-60 have enough resources to even feed let alone travelling around the world, or is it the less than 20k naira they earn as pension that will finance such lifestyle most are even owed their pension.
they dob
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 3:50pm On Apr 01
Shattuck:
I wished him luck
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Tizu(m): 3:52pm On Apr 01
Australia don't accept refugees?
So how can one who travel to the country survive with tourist visa or other short stay visas?
Help!
I am waiting for your response Sir
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 3:52pm On Apr 01
OniyideAmplify:
Don't worry, he will surely recover all the money he spent within 365 days and he has saved his generations to come from a lawless and unfortunate country like Nigeria. Moreover, Australia is even too big to realize that Nigeria is a shit, try visit Dubai alone not to talk of the whole UAE and see an environment where anything is possible.
it is not about the money amd trust me he will not .how do you guys see overseas...if it is easy don't they come everytime

Oga you don't pick money there on the streets ...life is hard there also...na only thing is light and good roads that's all

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 3:53pm On Apr 01
Tizu:
Australia don't accept refugees?
So how can one who travel to the country survive with tourist visa or other short stay visas?
Help!
I am waiting for your response Sir
lol
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by koreanlord: 3:53pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

LOL. Be playing. Why do you go to work if not to make money and enjoy. He can save 4-5M monthly in Australia even after expenses as compared his total take home of less than 1M as an account in Nigeria.

And yes, Australian lifestyle makes you active even at old age. People of 90+ years and still driving and walking without assistance here because of their lifestyle. Someone in Nigeria is already too old for anything at 60.

Lastly, you stand a chance of securing the destiny of your children for ever by becomimg citizens in the nearest futher. The money he spent to relocate will be recovered in less than 6 months. Australia is not lousy like UK, Canada, US. Just relax, make your money and enjoy life.
is it still possible for the spouse of a student to apply for a dependent visa?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 3:54pm On Apr 01
DataDoc:

1st generation migrants most times have to pay a price for their decision to migrate.

If he lives to his 70s, his children should have settled well and probably be doing well. That alone will compensate for anything he feels he lost leaving Nigeria behind.

He took the decision to migrate not just for himself, but for his family too
and what if the kids don't want to migrate...I know of many here

Most na their wives and at 70s they live of regrets wanting to come home but will be lonely

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 3:55pm On Apr 01
MyAmericandream:

Pride no go kill you oh.. See foolish talk. He said he saved more than when he was in Nigeria. Did your father plan retirement at age 48? Una too like big man for that country so you can oppress the poor. If he had travelled to Cyprus or uk ( this one for pain me). In abroad whether you’re a forklift driver or an IT specialist no body send your papa. In fact you drive the same car live in the same hood… He hasn’t spent up to a year, if he gets a better certificate he will upgrade to a better level/ job is just time.
you still dey for American dream bro...there is nothing I will say to you that will make sense

As you are leaving Asians are coming

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by LOVEGINO(m): 3:57pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

Congratulations Sir. Australia 🇦🇺 will favour you. It is a great country with limitless opportunities
better person.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by dejavubobo1(m): 3:58pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

Yes Sir. Just like the OP, I moved there last December and I am doing really fine. My regret was not moving earlier than now.
Can I reach you in d.m
I have always wanted to try Australia out. But the issue is how to go about it

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Taiwo20(m): 4:04pm On Apr 01
I have passport and yellow card. I can get travel insurance. Point me to a job sponsorship link, if it would require a certification, I can still be patient to acquire the certification. Help your brother, my income in 2015 was lower but could still get me by, my income now is higher but its not taking me home. Help me before they strangle me with Shege,sapa and corruption.
chidi4sam:

We save and invest in Nigeria too. No one stays in a foreign land forever. What I quoted is money he can save after expenses. Infact, now they are two (himself and wife), they can even save more. If you do not have limited right to work (student) visa, you can earn what I quoted above. I am not giving false figures. The last time I checked, the current exchange rate to Aus$ is 950 (it was above 1k few weeks ago). In a fortnight, he can earn between 2500-2800 from one job (times it by 2 to see what it is in one one). If you don't have limited work right you can have about 2-3 employers paying you in one month. 1 can be your permanent employer while the other 2 is part time. What you make from your permanent employer is for savings while what you earn from part time is for expenses. Except you are lazy, you will hit it big in Australia in a very short time. I am not exaggerating.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Treadway: 4:17pm On Apr 01
desiredmee:

You have successfully done nothing with this lengthy write-up I can assure you.

The OP sited the working condition that is obtainable over there but you are using what is obtainable here in Nigeria in your writeup, a Janitor for sure would be happy and derieve joy in his job because of the following reasons
He is not be looked down on
He is able to take care of his home
He is able to assist family members back home
He is able to build something back home

Mind you the janitor work is a temporary job.

The truth is our government is to be blamed in all of this, we have no reason leaving the country the way we are now but really they are giving us no other choice.

I know two persons that are of age 48 and were doing well by all standard in Nigeria but they still left the country with there family to UK.

Information on ground shows that what is obtainable generally is by far morethan enough reason to leave Nigeria.

I will end by saying we all should throw our anger at the government and not individuals trying to help themselves.
first of, again the only thing that irks me is the statement 'a cleaner in Aussie is better than a Regional Manager in Zenith bank'..so we don't lose focus or context.. the fellow I responded to which made you quote my post was saying it is all about the money, and I say ok oo but for some like me, more money isn't a motivator when you have sorted that need and have moved up to a higher level need that now motivates you. That was the crux of my post that you quoted.

I don't care about OPs move abroad, his reasons for moving, or what he does for a living. I agree that our leaders should b stoned to death with hot bricks but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have self worth, going around to make silly and baseless statements and comparisons online. Anyone who feels he is worthless cos he is Nigerian can gladly join the league of those who don't wait to be told that destitutes and dogs are better than them but already happily or sadly believe that to be their case. I won't stop you or them.

Ps: A janitor is a janitor, whether in the USA, Uzbekistan or Nigeria. If that is what anyone aspires to be, that's none of my business. I have never and don't ever aspire to be a janitor even if it hypothetically pays more than my current job (which it can't/ doesn't, be it here or yonder). Have at it if you want it.

Cheers

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Iamzik: 4:18pm On Apr 01
zedman1:
You write well but I must confess, immediately I opened this thread, I scrolled fast and the first line that caught my eyes was "angle in human form". How we go take do to make una know say there's a difference between angle and Angel? Ehn?

You be trouble maker aswear🤣🤣🤣
So na spelling you come correct inside this hot Japa debate

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Boyjaco: 4:18pm On Apr 01
focus on making money here before travelin big man na poor man there
Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is not a hearsay, it is not an eye witness account, it is my story.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

You will find out in this thread.

To be continued shortly .........

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (26) (Reply)

The New Lagos Airport Road President Buhari Will Be Commissioning - Photos / Iran Plane Crash: The victims Of Ukraine Flight By Nationality / I Need Directions Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.