Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (67778 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 6:44pm On Apr 01
Ishilove:

I for once agree with you. Just imagine how he is raving about some aspects of Nigeria that are purely cultural. There are certain positions in the 'saner climes ' that can give you the leverage to ask your subs for a cup of coffee, so I wonder which rubbish he is talking about?

Bros, go sit down one place. Akunakuna!
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by NuCypher: 6:45pm On Apr 01
Treadway:
on the assumption that naira is still shit in 2,5,10 years time. Fortunately/unfortunately that could very well change with the right policies and leadership. What happens then?

I am holding the bulk of my savings in USD and I currently have a pessimistic outlook to Nigeria, but I'm not stupid to arrogantly block off the possibility that naira could appreciate with the right policies at any time. If I as much as read news of at least two refineries (Dangote and at least one other) being truly operational lasan, you can bet I'm selling that dollar stash pronto, cos I know what that portends/means.
Naira has no chance of appreciating in 2,5,10 years time or whatever. You are under the assumption that the dollar will stay stagnant enough for the naira to catch up. That's almost impossible. The US government continues to push on innovative fronts and US tech companies continue to grow in leaps and bounds, so much so that Nigeria will hardly ever catch up. Even if any government starts to implement the "rightest" policies right now, it will still take at least 10-20 years for us to start seeing some positive reflections of those policies. Economic developments don't happen overnight. We won't just wake up one day and start seeing the naira appreciate or Nigeria develop. Economic developments need sometime to grow, to mature. And the naira will also follow gradually, if it ever will. We can look around to see examples, with Ghana for example, where the cedi continues to lag. Honestly, the more realistic truth is that some zeros will be removed from the naira in the future to provide an illusion of appreciation, rather than the naira going back down to catch up.

Even with more than one refineries working, corrpution is so entrenched in the Nigerian system that it is almost impossible to see that make any sensible impact. The naira is clearly going nowhere in our lifetime. Neither is Nigeria. Honestly, you can't imagine the amount of damage that has already been done to the Nigerian polity, including the ones that have yet to manifest. No amount of right policies will fix those. Today, the naira is over a 1000 to a dollar. It wasn't rocket science to predict that. Years of economic damange and continued corruption did that. If today, pragmatists are saying that the naira will go to over 2000 to a dollar, they aren't being rocket scientists. They are merely predicting the inevitable.

7 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Gift96: 6:45pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

Australia really humbled me. Imagine a financial controller in Nigeria now picking and packing cartons in warehouses in Australia.

Don't worry, I will rather sacrifice that Nigerian" big man status" and work my way up a better environment which will favor me and my unborn kids

9 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Rotji(m): 6:46pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

I am not a Migration agent and may not be able to advice.

However, when I decided it is time I leave Nigeria with my family, I looked at my age and saw I have already passed 44.

My wife was much younger and I decided to send her while I stay back with the children.

So, if your wifey is younger than you, you may consider sending her. That I what some men I met here did.

Thanks for your kind response, yes my wife is much younger than me, I should consider that more. But I also feel I might stand a good chance with a fully funded post graduate degree scholarship too. Well will try and weigh all the options
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Rotji(m): 6:48pm On Apr 01
Sultannayef:

It’s very competitive get a fully funded scholarship. But if you get it, you should go!

Yes that's what I was looking at, honestly I love Australia and would like to get an opportunity to migrate there.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 6:56pm On Apr 01
austin2023:
Did you learn their language, before you started working as a forklift operator?

Australia is an English speaking country. You don't need any language aside English.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 6:59pm On Apr 01
Bigboytinz:
height of inferiority complex. Your kids are speaking through their nose so it means they're doing well?? Disgusting

Na jealousy go finish una for this Nigeria I swear.

8 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 7:08pm On Apr 01
Bluntemperor:

You are right bro, but Whiteman no get respect for Una,no matter what - white People are discriminatory,full stop!

Come off it bruv. Stop that. No be for Australia bruv. Stop this blatant lie. Australia is a multicultural country. Everyone is treated equal. If you see any obvious discrimination, you can report to the appropriate body and they will take it up.

Australia is not your average Joe country o.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 7:17pm On Apr 01
Tizu:
Australia don't accept refugees?
So how can one who travel to the country survive with tourist visa or other short stay visas?
Help!
I am waiting for your response Sir

By immigration law and policy, you cannot convert a tourist visa to work visa or student visa. No employer will employ and no one will house you either. However, nothing is impossible. I met a church member last month who told me he came to Australia on tourist visa but converted to student visa. I didn't ask him how he did it because it wasn't my business.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 7:18pm On Apr 01
koreanlord:
is it still possible for the spouse of a student to apply for a dependent visa?

If your wife is here, you will come in as her dependent.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 7:19pm On Apr 01
dejavubobo1:

Can I reach you in d.m
I have always wanted to try Australia out. But the issue is how to go about it

Please do

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 7:20pm On Apr 01
skultrick:

Congratulations sir on making it to Australia. Wishing you all the very best.

Please if may ask, how much did it cost to migrate only you to Australia. I’m looking to migrate too but will really appreciate first hand info on cost.

Another thing, I’m single. Do you think I will feel very lonely in Australia? Are there many black sisters in the country?

Thank you.

Visa AUD$4640 for one person. That's roughly about USD$3200. If you have dependant, each will cost extra AUD$2000 per dependant wife or children.

Assessment of your qualification/skills AUD$965. That's roughly about USD$650.

English test USD$125 depending on how fast you are able to get the required scores, or else, you have to reseat it.

This is just a sample for Engineers. So, sum everything up, you should have an idea of what it will cost you for the whole process, excluding flight money and upkeep money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 7:24pm On Apr 01
Taiwo20:
I have passport and yellow card. I can get travel insurance. Point me to a job sponsorship link, if it would require a certification, I can still be patient to acquire the certification. Help your brother, my income in 2015 was lower but could still get me by, my income now is higher but its not taking me home. Help me before they strangle me with Shege,sapa and corruption.

Hahahahahah. I honestly do not have a solution than to refer you to a pages on NL. I got all information I needed to travel here. All it took me was to read. And Yes, my wife migrated after just 6 months we started the process. Having said that, search to 'Migrate to Australia through PR' on this page. All information you need is there. Wishing you the best of luck Sir

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Gerrard59(m): 7:28pm On Apr 01
Treadway:
and just like that na so you don turn anti-japa o Gerrard59. Story of my life🤣🤣🤣

Once you dare to have an opinion that doesn't conform to the mob like this, or argue your point of view like this, gbam! You don turn anti-japa be that.

Nairaland members are just something else.

Honestly, I'm stunned that I'm now seen as an anti-japa advocate.

Truly, such is life. I guess most humans love to hear what they like to hear rather than proper logical analysis. Me wey don garner enemies because I fought against actual anti-japa Nairalanders and have posts upon posts on the A - Z of japa. I wonder where McSlize was when I was criticising Dasparrow and Cap28 or Redsun or 50Calibre. In fact, one of most recent threads was centered on criticising APC supporters for being anti-japa.

Chai! Daris God o lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Iamzik: 7:31pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

Sir, I am not packing trash in Australia. I work in the warehouse. I make in a week my gross in a month in Nigeria. After the monthly expenses, I have 1,600 Australian dollars left in a month. This is more than my monthly gross.

If I had known, before coming to Australia, I would have obtained membership of ANAN.
If I had ANAN, I would have been a member of CPA Australia. They recognise ANAN. They don't know ICAN.

Do you spend naira in Australia? If not then the mental conversion to naira is totally irrelevant. Because your expenses are in AUD

At 1600 AUD how many years will it take you to pay off a mortgage?

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Gerrard59(m): 7:32pm On Apr 01
NuCypher:

As much as I agree with you, I think you and others who make this argument underestimate the significance of this. The fact that he has more naira spending power is an enormous advantage now and later in life. This simply means that the option to relocate back to Nigeria to continue living a much better life at a cheaper rates remains open to him. Even if he has no plans to come later to Nigeria, the fact that the option remains open is a great advantage. On the contrary, not every oyinbo person can do the same. They are not Nigerian citizens and they don't know how Nigeria works. But for the Nigeria who earns in dollars or whatever currency and lives abroad, if he gets too tired of life over there, he can pack his bags, take this dollar savings, relocate back to Nigeria, and automatically become 3-4x richer than average. He can probably buy houses in a good neighbourhood and resume a better life in Nigeria. The options remains forever open as long as he maintains his Nigerian citizenship/passport. It doesn't matter if or when he'll do it.

You don't understand the great advantage this is, until you hear about Americans who are paying enormous amounts to relocate to Portugal or Thailand just so they can avoid Uncle Sam's break-neck taxes and live a more affordable life. As a Nigerian, you don't even have to think it that deep. The option is just there waiting for you anytime you need it.

Thank you for this perspective. It's a new one to me.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Gerrard59(m): 7:34pm On Apr 01
Mcslize:

Brother, I don't even know the side you belong o. Better come out plain let me know the category to put you. Cuz I don't understand some of your comments in some of these japa threads.

https://www.nairaland.com/7650379/points-consider-before-after-japa

That's an insight to my views regarding japa. I have been largely consistent with my stance.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Raph82(m): 7:35pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

Australia really humbled me. Imagine a financial controller in Nigeria now picking and packing cartons in warehouses in Australia.
No wonder many Nigerians roam the streets doing nothing. Too proud to do any job

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Gerrard59(m): 7:38pm On Apr 01
udomonday:
oga stop your baseless argument,how much is 1million,what is the quality of life in Nigeria?waking up at 4am and rushing to work everyday ,and navigating the madness on the road,even the air you breathe in this country is enough to make you want to elope,money is not everything,Nigeria is a messed up country,you will not believe it until you set your foot in another more sane country,he is earning more than he did in Nigeria and has a better prospect of earning much more,with the future of his family secured.and you are still talking about boy boy,who manager help?

I wish OP the very best in his quest. Honestly, I really do wish him the best. However, I don't support people of his age, especially high earners, to relocate and later go below what they were doing in Nigeria. It's just my belief system. I believe there has to be a time to enjoy one's fruit of his labour.

Additionally, as much as OP has relocated, let's fear God when he and his supporters say "a cleaner in the West lives more comfortably or earns more than a banker or career professional in Nigeria". That's a statement I will ALWAYS kick against. A regional manager of a bank in Nigeria is above whatever cleaner in any developed country.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by folake4u(f): 7:39pm On Apr 01
Gerrard59:

Honestly, I'm stunned that I'm now seen as an anti-japa advocate.

Chai! Daris God o undecided

When I saw that "And he dey Germany", I laughed ehn.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nairaland >>>> Nights of a Thousand Laughs.

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 7:40pm On Apr 01
Mcslize:

Which city are you in? Hope you guys are helping new comers. Cuz I need someone that will come pick me from the airport when I finally land by 2026 and also accommodate me for 2 weeks. Can you help out on that?

Nigerians in Australia are truly helpful I must confess. There is no tribalism here like we see in our home country. Infact, it was a Yoruba who helped me ( Igbo man) and my family to settle down faster. The family housed my wife for 5 months without collecting rent and also fed her for free until I came me. I failed to mention that I am working with one company owned by a Yoruba man. Immediately he saw me in church, he asked if I am willing to work in his organisation. That's all

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Gerrard59(m): 7:43pm On Apr 01
folake4u:

When I saw that "And he dey Germany", I laughed ehn.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nairaland >>>> Nights of a Thousand Laughs.

One even vowed that I've never been outside Nigeria whereas my location is clearly stated on my profile. embarassed

Chai! Nna mehn!

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chazon(m): 7:45pm On Apr 01
Congratulations bro
I say ‘congratulations’ to anyone who manages to leave this zoo because I don’t see it as emigration, we see it as “escape”.

I’d like to key into your determination to reignite my aspirations to emigrate too

How can I reach you?

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by folake4u(f): 7:46pm On Apr 01
Gerrard59:

One even vowed that I've never been outside Nigeria whereas my location is clearly stated on my profile. embarassed

Chai! Nna mehn!

Pele. It's one of those things. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 7:47pm On Apr 01
Chiuzk:
I am sorry to bother you sir, but if you don't mind, how can I get in touch with you? Genuinely for my husband. He will be the one to contact you pls if you don't mind. He will verify all he needs to know from you directly. Pls he works as an engineer with one of the telecoms, and I run a business. Please, can you give us (him) a space to talk with you? If it is possible sir,here's my mail (chizkemss@yahoo.com). Thank you.

I don't usually do this. I only felt interested to help due to his occupation. I am well grounded about this Australia migration. I am not an agent. But I am an old OG in the process. First, how old is your husband? And how many years experience does he have as a telecom Engineer?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 7:51pm On Apr 01
Mcslize:

Chidi, I remember when you migrated back then. I can't remember the exact year. How time flies!

Were you by any means in the Australia migration thread in the travel section back then? Or am I mistaking you for another Chidi? Kindly clear my doubts. Kindly let me know if I am referring to the same person.

I have been in both Australian and Canada immigration thread since 2017. E don tey 😃
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Gerrard59(m): 7:52pm On Apr 01
IbeOkehie:

Oga Gerrard I disagree. Even if he's not returning to Nigeria, he will be BETTER ABLE to cater for extended family dependents.

Ask any high income person in Nigeria, the demands or duties of catering to the mass population of poor people is crushing. Just talk to the ones you know and they will tell you. It takes a lot of resources and income.

And he may indeed be returning to Nigeria. Even someone like me as hostile as I am to the idea, I can't completely rule it out. It might just happen due to changing circumstances.

Oga Gerrard come on now!

Good Luck to Nigerians

To be fair though, I write from my own perspective. I have little connections with my extended families (on both sides). I don't plan to build any house in Nigeria as my parents have built enough. I have just two siblings (all grown and done with higher education). I'm not married neither do I have children.

So maybe, I am "elitist" in my views even though I don't have an elitist background or upbringing. But then, it's the reason I advocate for young people, especially young men, not to marry anyhow and born plenty children. It's the reason I kick against having children out of wedlock. Life is hard already, especially for black African males, people shouldn't make it harder.

I would be surprised if you return to Nigeria. I understand the aspect of living in a place where people look like you. But last I checked, Nigeria isn't the only black dominated country. There exists other places which are safer and quieter. The die-put-mentality-in-Nigeria, especially held by Igbos, has to change.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by citee(m): 8:01pm On Apr 01
I can totally relate with your story. I made my move to the UK at a similar age and trust me i was inundated by friends with “what are you going to do abroad at your age”. Like you rightly pointed out abroad there is nothing like “ageism”in the workplace, as in people making you feel old. As long as you can do the job assigned to you you are good to go.
Here in the UK i go about without fear day or night which i couldn’t try in Nigeria. And given the fact that i did a sales job in Nigeria in which i had to travel across several states, the security challenge made that a though ask.
So anyone who wants to leave Nigeria, the choice is yours and like that saying goes….who no go no know!

5 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by maasoap(m): 8:01pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

You made your choice after careful analysis, I don't think there is anything to discuss about that.

5 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by maasoap(m): 8:02pm On Apr 01
Matheusmartin:
The thing with these civilized countries be say there is dignity of labour..

More like there is money in labour grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 8:02pm On Apr 01
Chidolalar:

Pls sir how much can a person who is Very prudent save after tax doing menial work in Australia for one month.

It depends on how long you work. I pays $600 a week as rent excluding utility because I pay that monthly. My average feeding budget a week for 3 persons is $300. I buy petrol of $80 a week to move around. So, I spend approximately $1000 a week. Having said that, I work for 3 different companies where I can earn between $1500-$2200 a week. So, I can comfortably save between $3500-$4500 a month. My wife get her own earnings too.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 8:08pm On Apr 01
Bassmetrics:
Op is very funny. This part got me laughing so loud:"The air we breathe in Nig is different from the one in Australia".
E be like say na fake oxygen we dey take in for naija o.

Ain't you supposed to know this before now? Check the sky in Nigeria, it's polluted and very foggy. Then check the skies in the western world, very clean and clear.

You are supposed to know this by now that the air we breathe in Nigeria is very much polluted.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (27) (Reply)

Think You Know Lagos well Enough? (photos) / See The ₦155m Lamborghini That Every Plane Must Follow At Italy's Airport / Lockdown: Inter-state Travelling. Share Your Experience.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.