Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,423 members, 7,843,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (68408 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by IbeOkehie: 6:38pm On May 12
AngelicBeing:
Going to start a farm in Nigeria 🍈? Huh, how and which Farm?

The farm surrounded by Fulani bandits and different terrorist groups in different parts of the country

Nigeria to me personally is beyond redemption until proper restructuring is done but the criminals in Abuja are not ready nor willing to effect that kind of change , so the country will likely remain in the wilderness for so long and might likely not get to her Canaanland., as for other things you pointed out in your post, l do agree but come to think of it what is 1 or 2 million naira when you have a life threatening sickness? What is 2 or 3 million naira and be living in fear of Robber's, kidnappers and terrorist?

What is 2 or 5 million naira when you are scared of driving from Lagos to Kano via road or Lagos to Onitsha via road simply because either bad roads/ robbers/ terrorist or bandits can end your life within a twinkle of an eye, anyway to each is own , l will continue to be a visitor to Nigeria from afar sipping my Starbucks coffee ☕ while l Wish Nigeria well shocked

I remember a thread in 2014 or so where a Nigerian resident was saying how he could earn the top salary of ₦800K/mo at his company in a few years and how that was a better prospect than migrating to the USA or UK be a 4th Class Slave Citizen for the White Man. grin

Then last month this Nigerian resident made my day with his confidence, maybe you should consult with him since you think 3 million isn't worth the enjoyment -

ariesbull:
unemployed person will raise 3 million plus to go and do these petty jobs

That person is basically daft trust me !

grin shocked grin

The juju is strong. I'm not laughing at anyone because me sef I fell for it and actually quit my job at one of the best institutions in THE WORLD to go live in Nigeria. Imagine

Like, there were these Igbo guys laughing at me on another thread for being a LOST MAN abroad and having life insurance and honestly what could I say to them? It's hard to grasp the overarching situation when you're in that Zoo.

Nigeria, Nigeria, Nigeria....We Hail Thee!

Good Luck to Nigerians.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by ariesbull: 9:11pm On May 12
IbeOkehie:

I remember a thread in 2014 or so where a Nigerian resident was saying how he could earn the top salary of ₦800K/mo at his company in a few years and how that was a better prospect that migrating to the USA or UK be a 4th Class Slave Citizen for the White Man. grin

Then last month this Nigerian resident made my day with his confidence, maybe you should consult with him since you think 3 million isn't worth the enjoyment -

grin shocked grin

The juju is strong. I'm not laughing at anyone because me sef I fell for it and actually quit my job at one of the best institutions in THE WORLD to go live in Nigeria. Imagine

Like, there were these Igbo guys laughing at me on another thread for being a LOST MAN abroad and having life insurance and honestly what could I say to them? It's hard to grasp the overarching situation when you're in that Zoo.

Nigeria, Nigeria, Nigeria....We Hail Thee!

Good Luck to Nigerians.
quote job blablabla

Can't you guys create jobs ..everyone will say quit jobs
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by IbeOkehie: 9:45pm On May 12
ariesbull:
quote job blablabla

Can't you guys create jobs ..everyone will say quit jobs

I leave that to the Nigerian business hero Dangote since I've done my bit in the past.

But I thought Nigeria was a business heaven? 🤔 So what am I reading here?

https://www.nairaland.com/8088617/more-put-money-business-more/2#129901780

Or we can appeal to President Tinubu and his $10 billion in 2024 Federal Government revenue. Yeah, don't be surprised, it's gonna be less than $10 billion this year at current rates grin

Keep enjoying. Me I'm off to wash more dead bodies...after that it's on to my Security Guard job where I can get some sleep.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Zoey1: 1:36pm On May 13
Properly detailed.👌
All the best.
And I love the mindset shift .
Usefulsense:
Before I commence my story, I want to specifically thank those who advised me not to travel. Your advise was borne out of genuine love and concern. One stated clearly that I should not leave known for unknown.

However, taking the bold step to leave Nigeria at the time I did was the best decision I ever made in my life. In fact, given the same scenario and even if I am 52 and my salary was #2million per month, I will still leave Nigeria.

The first 2 months was very difficult. The mistake I made was my insistence on getting accounting job. I did over 60 applications and all of them were rejected. I have no Australian experience neither do I have Australian certification.

My wifey was indeed an angle in human form. She provided the needed support. She shouldered all the financial responsibilities all by herself. This is the part that almost pushed me into depression. As an Igboman, we consider it a taboo for our women to feed, house and cloth us.

After two months, I decided it was time to re-strategize. I enrolled for a forklift training and within two week, I obtained my forklift license.
Not satisfied with that, I took some courses and did some checks that will qualify me to go into disability support work. I obtained First aid certificate, Diploma in mental health, certificate in infection prevention and control, certificate in care for the aged and disabled, police check, working with children checks, NDIS worker check, NDIS orientation certificate and many more.

I started applying for warehouse jobs. In fact, I had to reject a lot of them. I settled for one of the warehouses and it has been awesome working for the organization.

I have not gotten what I am looking for yet. I am using the warehouse to keep body and soul together. In the warehouse where I work, you will see people of different ages. from 18 years to 65 years working and making a good living. in Australia, there is always something to do.

The only thing I miss, is the big man mentality we have in Nigeria. Where I will sit in my office, call one of my staff in intercom and ask for a cup of coffee; and it will be brought to me in seconds. You can't try that rubbish here.

The level of security here is top notch. I have no fear, i move about anytime of the day/night.

After one week in Australia, I concluded that Nigeria is a completely lawless country and an animal jungle. Here everything is ordered. I am yet to hear a driver blow his car horn while driving. There are no touts, there are no omoniles. Electricity has never blinked for one second. water is constant, gas is there. I have never seen two persons fighting in the street. I have never seen a mad man or woman on the road or street beggars. The air we breath here is different from the air we breath in Nigeria.

It was in Australia that I realized that the saying in Nigeria that Nigerian police is your friend is actually true. Break the law in Nigeria and police catches you, just give them #2,000 you are off the hook. And the circle of lawlessness continues. Here, it is a different ball game. Proposing bribe will be used as evidence against you. It doesn't matter who you are. Every one is civil.

While in Nigeria I suffered malaria every month. There is no month I don't treat malaria. Since I got to this country, I have never had headache let alone malaria.

Children are doing wonderfully well at school and are already speaking through their nose.

In conclusion, I made the best choice. Even though I have not really found the kind of job I want to do, the little I am doing now contributes in paying bills and I have savings more than my monthly gross per month in Nigeria.

If you are above 45 years and have your partner already in this country, and you are an employee of a company, it is in your best interest to leave Nigeria. Provided, of course, that you are healthy and you are not lazy.

One dark side to moving abroad is that you have more chances of being divorced by your wife. This is a story for another day as I have gathered enough reason on why families divorce and will create a thread on this someday.

I am open to any question you may have.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Richdee1(m): 4:00pm On May 13
sunnymighty:

Congrats! Bro. My question is this....I have been working with a local NGO here in Nigeria that rehabilitates Children with disabilities, precisely Down Syndrome, I have attended series of Certified trainings here in Nigeria organized by Int'l Organizations and NGOs. I wish to continue in this line because it is my passion. What are my chances? Is it possible to apply for jobs over there from here? Even if I have to be trained when I get there, btw I will be Fifty this year and also occupy a top position where I work. Expecting your reply. Thanks!
Good day sir, I remember we spoke about getting a job with the NGO you work for last year when I just finished schooling, I had to go for youth service. I'll be done by next month
How can I contact you? Would be honored to work in your organization
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by FlamingoCityTv: 8:10am On May 24
Think9ja:

Lol
It doesn't work like that in obodo 9ja ooo
If you don't find your feet in the first two weeks, just know that you'll be gone by month end. A Nigerian company that gives you 4 months to find your feet really has your interest at heart.

I see companies advertise for the same position almost every month.

We are an evil bred of people and no human can fix us

What I mean is financially finding your feet without dependent on people

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Driving Through The Streets Of Ghana - Beautiful Scenes Around Accra / Slums From World Major Cities That Shows All That Glitters Is Not Gold (PHOTOS) / SUV Rams Into EndSARS Protesters In Lagos, 2 Feared Dead, Others Injured (Graphi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.