Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40173 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Slytiger: 8:27pm On Apr 01
Konquest:

Egunsi soup with ogunfe is widely eaten among the Yoruba folks... and the Ekiti, Ondo, and Osun States areas have highly nutritious soups from well-documented evidence.

There are more than 20 types of soups in all parts of Yorubaland. Yoruba culture is NOT monolithic but varies from region to region in terms of regional foods preparations.

For your information, ewedu and gbegiri is used as quick preparation "snack" soups among the Oyo folks but they have other types of soups as well that cost even more to make with exotic seasonal ingredients.

Ewedu or jute leaf soups are also indigenous and widely eaten in other countries especially in West Africa.

Right. My side of the yoruba tribe doesn't even eat Ewedu that much. Ewedu is chiefly an Oyo food. You would rarely find eastern Yorubas like the Ijesha, Ekiti, Ondo, e.t.c prefer to eat Ewedu and Amala compared to Egunsi and iyan.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by LagosG: 8:27pm On Apr 01
labake1:
Even wiki talk am
They will still ignore you
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by KIDfurniture(m): 8:29pm On Apr 01
No mind that boy with the handle : premium.. egusi yoruba is the worst… it taste like baby poo. Plus Yoruba oil is the worst. I will never eat any food prepared with that shitty oil. Smells like cancer.

Bulldozer90:
What of Okro, Ogbono ,Onugbo soups and Ofe akwu? They are popular Igbo soups as well.

Let me give you a tip. Any soup that has either Ogiri or Okpeyi as it's major seasoning ingredient is an Igbo soup. This is the case with the soups I listed above including the one listed by the op.

Who is inferior sir? The Igbo civilization that boast of having the most popular delicacies in Africa or the Your SW race that is trying to culturally appropriate Igbo delicacies and culture?

Which ingredients of Egusi soup is associated with Yorubas? Is it Ugu, bitterleaf, Okpeyi, Achi or Ukazi?

Today you mock Igbos as Akpu munchers, the next day you claim it's not of Igbo origin.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 8:29pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
foolish goat, atleast there's history behind how rice was first cultivated in asia...now show us proofs or just one proof of how Igbos invented or first came by egusi or shut up forever... Bitter cos one of your numerous lies was bursted?

ACTUALLY, THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ON THE PROSECUTOR.

YOU ARE FIGHTING AGAINST THE ARTICLE CLAIMING EGWUSI IS IGBO.

PROVE IT IS NOT?

SO FAR, YOU HAVE BEEN UNABLE.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by JayyXXX(m): 8:30pm On Apr 01
Holluwhakemmy:
don't mind them they want to grab everything by force
Your hatred for Igbos is why you're still unmarried at 35
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dollarremix(m): 8:31pm On Apr 01
People asking egusi na igbo soup, Shey the name "Egusi" sounds like Yoruba or Hausa to your ears ?

I'm from Kaduna state but you people will always jealous Igbos.

You are not from Kaduna,you are residing in Kaduna.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 8:31pm On Apr 01
Konquest:

Egunsi soup with ogunfe is widely eaten among the Yoruba folks... and the Ekiti, Ondo, and Osun States areas have highly nutritious soups from well-documented evidence.

There are more than 20 types of soups in all parts of Yorubaland. Yoruba culture is NOT monolithic but varies from region to region in terms of regional foods preparations.

For your information, ewedu and gbegiri is used as quick preparation "snack" soups among the Oyo folks but they have other types of soups as well that cost even more to make with exotic seasonal ingredients.

Ewedu or jute leaf soups are also indigenous and widely eaten in other countries especially in West Africa.

Widely eaten by Yorubas doesn't imply it is indigenous to Youruba.

Rice is the king of occasions in Nigeria and will still be a hot commodity even if a bag sells at ₦200k but we know rice is not indigenous to Nigeria.

Nigeria once exported palm oil as an international trade commodity but we all know the oil palm is not indigenous to Nigeria.

Yorubas are known for Amala ati Ewedu.

Egusi cannot be indigenous to Youruba yet get sidelined by Ewedu.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 8:31pm On Apr 01
Prigidypogodo:
blame it to bitter politics.
I know a girl that her family nearly disowned because she attempted dating a yoruba sef.
me sef after seeing what you guys did to Gbadebo I won't wish my enemy to marry from Yoruba.

Nobody will even try marry Igbo from my family. Where you wan carry that nonsense enter? 😂

😂

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Raf4: 8:32pm On Apr 01
okoroemeka:
it is actually a west African soup but I think the igbos pimped it to another level with assorted meats,dry fish,stock fish,etc

Even all these asserted meats are what igbos copied from Yorubas. Yorubas are well known for bulky meat consumption unlikeigbos. In those days, you would hardly find meat in igbo's household soup. If they have at all they are always tiny small meat.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Slytiger: 8:32pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
foolish goat, show us proofs or just one proof of how Igbos invented or first came by egusi or shut up forever... Bitter cos one of your numerous lies was bursted?

They have not been able to show one single proof.

Dozens of evidences of the Yorubas have been dropped on this thread.

More evidences of words borrowed by the ibos from Yoruba and Hausa.

As can be seen below, the author said Egunsi has no origin in iboland.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 8:33pm On Apr 01
YORUBA PROVE YOU CAN COOK SOUP.

NOT TO TALK OF EGWUSI.

NDIOSHI!
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Makunahatata: 8:33pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

ACTUALLY, THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ON THE PROSECUTOR.

YOU ARE FIGHTING AGAINST THE ARTICLE CLAIMING EGWUSI IS IGBO.

PROOF IT IS NOT?

SO FAR, YOU HAVE BEEN UNABLE.
what proof again dunce? I guess Cameroonians or sierra Leoneans came down to Aba or na ONITSHA to steal Igbo egusi and start claiming it 😂

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by remsonik(f): 8:34pm On Apr 01
I went home to celebrate Easter and grandma prepared egusi soup for me,see let me tell you egusi belongs to the yoruba people. It originated from the SW states and I can tell you egusi can be used to make many stuffs by us
Now let me ask you can igbos make ewedu elegusi,robo elegusi,alapa. Even all this talk talk that igbos make soup most in nigeria I don't believe, go to calabar and all the SS states and see many of their precious delicacies that igbo people copied.
I wish to visit calabar soon honestly, their soups are the best

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 8:36pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
what proof again dunce? I guess Cameroonians or sierra Leoneans came down to Aba or na ONITSHA to steal Igbo egusi and start claiming it 😂

I LIKE YOU MENTIONED CAMERON, THOSE ARE OUR KITH AND KIN.

CLOSE RELATIVES.

WE SHARE CULTURE, FOOD AND EVEN FASHION.

AS FOR SIERRA LEONE, IGBO SLAVES ARE THERE.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by chnnmfl(m): 8:36pm On Apr 01
People are mixing up things here.

There is a difference between:

What tribe owns the word Egusi?

And

What tribe does melon/Egusi soup originated from?

It's a two different things
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Makunahatata: 8:37pm On Apr 01
Slytiger:

They have not been able to show one single proof and dozens of evidences of the Yorubas have been dropped on this thread.
More evidences of word borrowed by the ibos from Yoruba and Hausa.
naso their life be o, always making up lies..evn the red cap they turned to culture was stolen from white slave traders .

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by benebaby77: 8:39pm On Apr 01
CSTRR:

There is a difference between white soup and ofe nsala.

If you want to be bigoted, atleast come with facts.

I don't like having a conversation with people like you.

What did guardian newspaper called it here?

https://guardian.ng/life/how-to-make-ofe-nsala-white-soup/
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Omoawoke: 8:39pm On Apr 01
Tdotbluejays1:

Egunsi is a Yoruba word.

Egunsi is 100% a Yoruba word… E gun… meaning grind and that’s the way Egunsi is made, they will grind the melon seeds

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by nony43(m): 8:40pm On Apr 01
ReacherSaidNoth:
And you wonder why other tribes have a problem with you people cheesy. What is the point of this claim you cannot backup?

Egusi sound like what? What contents that are used in making the soup sounds different .
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by EgusiSoup: 8:40pm On Apr 01

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by benebaby77: 8:40pm On Apr 01
Sctests:

If you think, then you don't know, you are just guessing. Egusi is a very Igbotic soup.

Have a look at it here. Yoruba people own egusi.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 8:42pm On Apr 01
leathalbeast:
maybe it is in Nigeria but in Ghana it isn't an Igbo soup, we don't even use it for soup but stew.

It is not even an Igbo soup in Nigeria. Don't let these tribal supremacists confuse you.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Coder2Client(m): 8:44pm On Apr 01
isaachi4u:
ide pain you?

Pain me ke?

What do you melon in igbo?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by benebaby77: 8:44pm On Apr 01
SmartMen:

You are ignorant and that ignorance is borne out of your lack of travel and interactions with other Southerners.

Ofe Nsala is not the same as what you call South South Soup. The only white soup i know from Delta state is Egusi Soup without palm oil and that’s what they call white soup over there.

It’s only Akwa Ibom people that have something close to Nsala but they are not the same.

igbos own Egusi soup, you might not like to hear it.

As far as Nigeria is concerned, only Igbos and Akwa Ibom people have variety Soups and they are the ONLY ones who should be debating soups in Nigeria.

The rest of you should go manage what you have.

Unfortunately, Yoruba people own egusi soup.

Akwa Ibom/Calabar/Port Harcourt people own white soup and often eat it on special occasions.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Makunahatata: 8:44pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

I LIKE YOU MENTIONED CAMERON, THOSE ARE OUR KITH AND KIN.

CLOSE RELATIVES.

WE SHARE CULTURE, FOOD AND EVEN FASHION.

AS FOR SIERRA LEONE, IGBO SLAVES ARE THERE.
so what proof do u have Igbos didn't actually took egusi frm Cameroonians since u share culture,food and fashion.?

Who made the rules that since there's no documentation or record about the invention of egusi, so automatically egusi should belong to Igbos and Cameroonians the borrower ?
I won't b shocked if u claim they borrow your culture and fashion as well.

The shit sounds like u feel Igbos are superior to Cameroonians ,tho na your way

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 8:46pm On Apr 01
DIVINEEVIDENCE:

So, which which tribe owns egusi if not Igbo?
Which tribe?

No tribe owns the soup but the word Egusi is pure Yoruba.

cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Chekwume16(m): 8:47pm On Apr 01
All these my Eastern brothers una mumu no too much. What is this mentality of always grabbing. Egusi is a general soup all over Nigeria and is planted everywhere in the country. White soup is not peculiar to igbos. Many tribes in the south and Middle belt have their name for that soup and special way they prepare it. This is why I just dislike you guys. Mind you I am anioma from delta

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Konquest: 8:47pm On Apr 01
Slytiger:

Right. My tribe doesn't even eat Ewedu that much. Ewedu is chiefly an Oyo food. You would rarely find eastern Yorubas like the Ijesha, Ekiti, Ondo, e.t.c prefer to eat Ewedu and Amala compared to Egunsi and iyan.
@Slytiger,
Succinctly stated... Exactly!

Some of these ignorant folks don't know up to 1 percent of who Yorubas are and don't realize that Egunsi soup (obe egunsi) and iyan (pounded yams) is a national or regional delicacy of Eastern Yorubas especially the Ekitis, Ijesas, Ondos, and NOT Ewedu and Amala isu (yam flour swallow) of the Oyo-Yorubas of which Ibadan indigenes are a part of.

The Ijebus who are indigenes of Lagos and Ogun States have Ikokore, Garri Ijebu, and more as their regional foods, etc.

I had to do a lot of reading and research over the years on Yoruba history, cuisines and culture (among other cultures from other ethnicities) and realized that the Yorubas have very rich delicacies and soups. Mushroom soups are also part of the mix in Yorubaland. The only thing is that some soups are made only for special occasions because a lot goes into their preparations and some have seasonal ingredients (which I think can be solved by using hydroponics or greenhouses to grow the exotic ingredients all year round).

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by HBB1(m): 8:49pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:
What is egusi called in Igbo?
Egusi soup originally known in Igbo as Egwusi Soup is a popular IGBO dish in West Africa, particularly in Nigeria, Ghana, and some other countries in the region.

https://www.quora.com/Which-tribe-in-Nigeria-did-Egusi-soup-originate-from#:~:text=Egusi%20soup%20originally%20known%20in,its%20unique%20taste%20and%20texture.

You just quoted Quora as your source?

Quora!

🤣

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 8:50pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

YOU POSTED THAT AND SHOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT.

ELILI IS A GENERAL IGBO WORD THAT MEANS EATING, THE IGBOS HERE CAN TESTIFY.

ELILI COULD REFER TO THE MELON FRUIT ITSELF.

HOWEVER, THE SEED IS EGWUSI/EGUSI.

BOTH WORDS ARE EVEN SIMILAR AND END WITH I AND START WITH E.

IT SHOWS THEY ARE FROM SAME LANGUAGE.

So why is egwusi/egusi not in your dictionary in place of elili/enini?

😂

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 8:52pm On Apr 01
seunayantokun:

We don't have to run away from the name because it didn't originate from them. History of the crop and scientific studies on it do not give it to them. The crop belongs to West Africa with different names but egusi as a name is local to us. I have not said they don't have it too but we didn't borrow it from them. It's one of the ancient crops in Yoruba land and in many other parts of West Africa.

God bless you.

The soup belong to West Africa but we won't pretend Egusi is not a Yoruba word just to make Igbos feel good.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Konquest: 8:52pm On Apr 01
EgusiSoup:

What's the meaning of this?
cheesy grin

Your moniker and initial response here cracked me up.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

Hardship: 5 Cheap Soups You Can Cook With N1000 In Nigeria / See This Fire Wood Cooking Stove Invented By A Nigerian / Pictures From Amala Hangout In Enugu State

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.