Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,195 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40795 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 9:41pm On Apr 01
benebaby77:

The fact we cook Jollof Rice doesn't take it away that it is originated from Senegal.

It's a research paper by Muddasir Ismaila Moyi and Francis Attah Egu (an Igbo man).

You can do well to do your own research and come back.

Good night to you 💓

JOLLOF RICE ORIGINATED FROM SENEGAL.

TOMATOES IS NOT NIGERIAN, SO YOU CANNOT EVEN CLAIM JOLLOF RICE.

YOU BATH THE RICE IN OIL AND THAT IS WHAT MADE JOLLOF POPULAR IN NIGERIA.

EAT FINISH WITH OILLY LIPS.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by BigkokoRep: 9:42pm On Apr 01
Sorry I be Igbo. Divorce is alien to us. You fit ask your maami, of you never use her skull Sha

illicit:

The mama sef na divorcee

because her husband show her shege

Na ibo man

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by AmuDimpka: 9:43pm On Apr 01
benebaby77:
Egushi soup is not Igbo soup...

I think South South owns White Soup Ofe Nsala

Ooops, you didn't include Ogbono. Almost everyone enjoys Ogbono soup

PS: Egusi soup is a native to Yoruba people.
it's Egwusi ...

Yoruba Sabi cook food ?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by DeepThroater: 9:43pm On Apr 01
Bestmanfornow:

Ignorant mind, Egusi is very common to cultivate in Anambra, just like Ugu

Lolz

See this one .

So you think it's the same watermelon 🍉 that you know that is the same variety that is grown for Egusi?

Chai!

Make Una know how to package lie before you disgrace yourselves in public.

By even thinking that Egusi seeds are from watermelon plant shows you know nothing about Egusi and it's cultivation

Scammers

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by illicit(m): 9:44pm On Apr 01
BigkokoRep:
Sorry I be Igbo. Divorce is alien to us. You fit ask your maami, of you never use her skull Sha

Stop it there

Or I will reply that u ate ur mama

😳

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by AmuDimpka: 9:44pm On Apr 01
Dsimmer:

Aside alapa, robo elegusi etc, there's even Egusi funfun, Egusi oshiki etc. Yoruba's have several varieties of cooking Egusi as a matter of fact, even as the name egusi is a Yoruba name.
Yoruba no Sabi cook anything apart from Amala ati Ewedu

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Bulldozer90: 9:44pm On Apr 01
DeepThroater:

Claim Jew

Claim all soup for Nigeria

Lolz
most popular soups in Nigeria have Igbo origin. Argue till enternity.
Black soup is Edo
Gbegiri and Ewedu are Yoruba soup
Iriboto and banga are urhobo soups
Edikaikong, Afang, Afiefere etc are Ibibio/Efik
Ogbono, Egwusi,Okwuru,Nsala, Ora, Onugbo soups are Igbo
Kiss the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Bulldozer90: 9:45pm On Apr 01
DeepThroater:

Egusi is a plant that is grown mostly in the middlebelt and in some parts of Kebbi and also in Taraba and southern Adamawa.

The melon plant has to be exposed to dry and ferment in the field before it is harvested and so its growing cycle is best in areas like the middlebelt which do not have a longer and wetter rainy season like the south.

You do know I can easily get data on Egusi production by state from the web ?

Liars
we've finally entered Botany.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by benebaby77: 9:47pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
it's Egwusi ...

Yoruba Sabi cook food ?

Nawa oooo

You want to turn this into tribal things.

You can do own research on who owns egusi soup.

Besides, I am yet to see where anyone is calling it 'egwusi'.

It is well...

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Bestmanfornow: 9:47pm On Apr 01
DeepThroater:

Lolz

See this one .

So you think it's the same watermelon 🍉 that you know that is the same variety that is grown for Egusi?

Chai!

Make Una know how to package lie before you disgrace yourselves in public.

By even thinking that Egusi seeds are from watermelon plant shows you know nothing about Egusi and it's cultivation

Scammers
Ignorant mind

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by DeepThroater: 9:48pm On Apr 01
Bulldozer90:
Black soup is Edo
Kiss the truth.

Abegi.

You had all these foods but at the same time we only know you guys for one particular weird culinary ?

Make I mention the food oyibo talk say nah like to chop ?

Basden diaries told us of near starvation and lack of variety in food options and detailed cannibalism as widespread .

Now you want to tell us all the food we eat now is from your region and culture .

I blame you.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by AmuDimpka: 9:49pm On Apr 01
benebaby77:

Nawa oooo

You want to turn this into tribal things.

You can do own research on who owns egusi soup.

Besides, I am yet to see where anyone is calling it 'egwusi'.

It is well...

It is Egwusi which is purely Igbo

Just like Ogbono ( meaning a place that is slimy )

Yoruba no Sabi cook abeg
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by BigkokoRep: 9:49pm On Apr 01
Hahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Nneka.... Mom is best is all you need in your cranium to understand mom is treated with love and care in SE, compared to SW where she's kept under suffering

illicit:

Stop it there

Or I will reply that u ate ur mama

😳

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by DeepThroater: 9:50pm On Apr 01
Bestmanfornow:

Ignorant mind

So if it's a cultural cuisine why is the government now encouraging your farmers to go into it?

And hope you now see the difference between the watermelon plant you posted prior and the real Egusi varriant.

Dey lie to yourselves

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by illicit(m): 9:52pm On Apr 01
BigkokoRep:
Hahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Nneka.... Mom is best is all you need in your cranium to understand mom is treated with love and care in SE, compared to SW where she's kept under suffering

Iyadunni

Its good or sweet to have a mum, mofo to you it means mother is delicious

🥵

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by DeepThroater: 9:52pm On Apr 01
Raf4:

I'm very sure there are still some old people in your village that can still tell the story of how and when cassava, corn, egusi and some other staple food items were introduced to igboland.

Refer him to Basden diaries so he can know what his ancestors were gnawing on .

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Konquest: 9:53pm On Apr 01
Dsimmer:

Aside alapa, robo elegusi etc, there's even Egusi funfun, Egusi oshiki etc. Yoruba's have several varieties of cooking Egusi as a matter of fact, even as the name egusi is a Yoruba name.
Very interesting takes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Couldntfigurean: 9:55pm On Apr 01
Igbo should learn to gatekeep their foods like the black Americans gatekeep their culture
I once saw an American woman claim okra is from twi,Ghana and many Ghanaians were agreeing with her,how can okwuru be Ghanaian when it’s even documented as far back as the 1800s
And to egusi,youba can’t claim egusi,I know igbos who wouldn’t touch Yoruba foods with a long pole and we have been eaten egusi since time immemorial,so how can you make a soup better the supposed owners?
they (Yoruba) dont even cook theirs like ours,they add Stew and oil,while igbo use ugu(what’s the Yoruba name for ugu?)
Some dumb igbo are now calling ofe akwu banga,with time delta people will tell you how ofe akwu is delta and some dumb people will accept

When it comes to food,leave it for ndigbo,people say Calabar but most Calabar kitchen cook igbo foods and just edikikang

Igbo kwenu

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 9:59pm On Apr 01
Couldntfigurean:
Igbo should learn to gatekeep their foods like the black Americans gatekeep their culture
I once saw an American woman claim okra is from twi,Ghana and many Ghanaians were agreeing with her,how can okwuru be Ghanaian when it’s even documented as far back as the 1800s
And to egusi,youba can’t claim egusi,I know igbos who wouldn’t touch Yoruba foods with a long pole and we have been eaten egusi since time immemorial,so how can you make a soup better the supposed owners?
they (Yoruba) dont even cook theirs like ours,they add Stew and oil,while igbo use ugu(what’s the Yoruba name for ugu?)
Some dumb igbo are now calling ofe akwu banga,with time delta people will tell you how ofe akwu is delta and some dumb people will accept

When it comes to food,leave it for ndigbo,people say Calabar but most Calabar kitchen cook igbo foods and just edikikang

Igbo kwenu

U DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT.

DEEP DOWN THESE YORUBA MEN KNOW WHEN THEY TASTE IGBO SOUP AND JUST PLAYING.

THEY KNOW THE SOUP THEIR ANCESTORS ATE.

EGWUSI WAS NOT ONE OF THEM.

IF YORUBA HAD EGWUSI, EWEDU CANNOT DISPLACE IT.

HOW U GO GET EGWUSI, DEY EAT EWEDU, GBEGIRI AND EFO?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by leathalbeast: 10:00pm On Apr 01
mariahAngel:

This is what my tribe's version of egusi soup looks like.
looks very yummy but over here in Ghana we will call this stew instead of soup.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Prigidypogodo(f): 10:02pm On Apr 01
Alexis11:

Nobody will even try marry Igbo from my family. Where you wan carry that nonsense enter? 😂

😂
oya say
oyooooo
aaaahhhhh
mmmmmmm
hooooooooo
tapum tapum tapum
do you hear the clap of thunder ?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:05pm On Apr 01
QUICK RECAP

IGBO EGWUSI SOUP HERE.

U SEE AM, NO OIL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqXIa1EFSs

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:06pm On Apr 01
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by okeke6969: 10:06pm On Apr 01
Bulldozer90:
What of Okro, Ogbono ,Onugbo soups and Ofe akwu? They are popular Igbo soups as well.

Let me give you a tip. Any soup that has either Ogiri or Okpeyi as it's major seasoning ingredient is an Igbo soup. This is the case with the soups I listed above including the one listed by the op.

Who is inferior sir? The Igbo civilization that boast of having the most popular delicacies in Africa or the Your SW race that is trying to culturally appropriate Igbo delicacies and culture?

Which ingredients of Egusi soup is associated with Yorubas? Is it Ugu, bitterleaf, Okpeyi, Achi ,Orsu or Ukazi?

Today you mock Igbos as Akpu munchers, the next day you claim it's not of Igbo origin.

We still have ofe Ede
Ofe offor
Ofe ukpo

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Konquest: 10:07pm On Apr 01
Bulldozer90:
Black soup is Edo
Kiss the truth.

Point of correction!

Gbegiri and Ewedu are just two of the regional quick soups of the Oyo-Yorubas who are one of the Yoruba subgroups. Other parts of Yorubaland have their own rich soups as well especially the Eastern Yoruba folks of Ekiti, Ondo, and Osun States. Some of these soups are special occasion soups that cost money and are seasonal as well because some ingredients found in the Yoruba hinterlands do not grow all-year-round.

There are more than 20 types of tasty soups in all the regions of Yorubaland (From Nigeria to Benin Republic and Togo) for your info and you can easily find them online via YouTube and even here on NL.

Yoruba soups are way more than Ewedu and Gbegiri. These are just quick soups for emergency meals and there are more soups like Efo riros (there are different types of Efo riros as well). I know all these because I did a lot of reading years ago about a vast aspect of Yoruba history, culture, cuisines, and religion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by DeepThroater: 10:07pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:

It is Egwusi which is purely Igbo

Just like Ogbono ( meaning a place that is slimy )

Yoruba no Sabi cook abeg

Have you heard of calabash?

Its more common across the north and SW and is used as either a utensil or as a decorative art work.

Do you know that calabash is gotten from the dried hollowed out area of the pumpkin melon plant that you get Egusi seeds from ?

Make Una dey lie softly.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by vannessa7(f): 10:07pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
shut up...Ghana , Cameroon,Sierra Leone wey dey eat am dey jealous of u too? And why are u Igbos always pretending to be frm somewhere else after displaying your stupidity

Imagine, I'm sure the egusi does not grow well in their land as well as say in south west and some other countries.

Egusi that has been a staple in the south west long before civilization they are claiming to be theirs, Yoruba even have many different ways of preparing it, even the ogbono they think belong to them grows well in Yoruba land and we call it Apon, if your land can cultivate it well then it it indeginious to you,
inferiority complex making them look for relevance up and down.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by mariahAngel(f): 10:08pm On Apr 01
leathalbeast:
looks very yummy but over here in Ghana we will call this stew instead of soup.

In Nigeria, whatever is eaten with a swallow meal is considered soup, no matter the consistency.

Check out this thread below, to see what some of Nigerian soups look like.
We do have quite a lot of delicious looking soups.

https://www.nairaland.com/7951527/see-variety-nigerian-soups-pictures#127666461
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:08pm On Apr 01
okeke6969:

We still have ofe Ede
Ofe offor
Ofe ukpo

WHAT ABOUT OHA SOUP.

NO TRIBE IN AFRICA CAN MATCH IGBO WITH SOUP.

ONLY CALABAR (AKWA/CROSS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL2xe5hxJis

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Couldntfigurean: 10:11pm On Apr 01
vannessa7:

Imagine, I'm sure the egusi does not grow well in their land as well as say in south west and some other countries.

Egusi that has been a staple in the south west long before civilization they are claiming to be theirs, Yoruba even have many different ways of preparing it, even the ogbono they think belong to them grows well in Yoruba land and we call it Apon, if your land can cultivate it well then it it indeginious to you,
inferiority complex making them look for relevance up and down.
how are you in ogbomosho and know that these things don’t grow in the SE?
Yoruba and Hausa are at par in soup level,you guys don’t have soups
When you type Nigeria foods on google,it’s mostly Igbo foods
Most of the yam we eat in igboland todays are brought in from benue and the north,so you want to tell us we didn’t eat yams back in the days,laziness have make many of us rely on the north for food,it dosent mean they never had it
Stick with gbegiri and ewedu,that’s the typical Yoruba food

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:12pm On Apr 01
I DON POST OHA NOW, TOMORROW, U WILL ARGUE WITH MY CHILDREN, THAT OHA SOUP IS NOT IGBO.

U CLOWNS!

STOP THE HATING AND GIVE CREDIT TO WHOM IT IS DUE.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Bulldozer90: 10:14pm On Apr 01
Konquest:

Point of correction!

Gbegiri and Ewedu are just two of the regional quick soups of the Oyo-Yorubas who are one of the Yoruba subgroups. Other parts of Yorubaland have their own rich soups as well especially the Eastern Yoruba folks of Ekiti, Ondo, and Osun States. Some of these soups are special occasion soups that cost money and are seasonal as well because some ingredients found in the Yoruba hinterlands do not grow all-year-round.

There are more than 20 types of tasty soups in all regions Yorubaland (in Nigeria to Benin Republic and Togo) for your info and you can easily find them online via YouTube and even here on NL.

Yoruba soups are way more than Ewedu and Gbegiri.
it's a lie!
They are not "just"
Ewedu and Gbegiri are the two most popular Yoruba soups.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply)

Check Out The Food I Just Prepared For The Week (A Nairaland Bachelor) / Benzoic Acid: Important Information About The Substance In Fanta, Sprite / The Snake I Killed On My Arrival In The Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.